To grieve is to have loved, how sad would it be to never have grieved.
Those words spoke volumes to me this past week. Distraction is sometimes the best way to not necessarily deal with grief but help pass time which does help you deal with it.
Dakota's spot in the living room lay bare. No dog bed, no Dakota. I asked Barb if we could move one of the other dog's beds over there, it just seemed too bare and as many husbands know, since Barb is in control of everything inside the house, I best ask permission before moving anything.
As part of our distractions, we decided to get out of here for a few days. Part of it would be part of the grieving process; the rest would be true distractions. We headed north to attend DeAnne's funeral. We did not make it far though, only to Rapid City where we spent the day shopping and visiting friends. In the shopping category I bought myself a cross bow. With this most recent injury I could not pull my bow back without pain and reinjuring myself. Plus the fact that I have been fighting pain for the past several years when I use it. It was time to try something new.
From there we went to The Hairy Cow Brewery where we met our friends Doug and Lisa. While we text every few weeks, it has been almost a year since we have seen them and what better place than a brewery we where we wanted to try their food!
The beer was good, the company was better, the food...mah... okay. Even a little disappointing. With the brewery being a harvest host, we were able to spend the night right there in the parking lot. The following morning we carried on to North Dakota. We were taking our time, we did not want to get to the farm too early, they had a bunch of family there and did not need us there. Instead we stopped at Sheep Creek Recreation Area a couple of hours south of the farm. What a great spot! Free camping, with electric and water for up to 14 days!
The funeral was bittersweet, DeAnne looked at peace. There were so many friends and family they filled the church, the loft, and even livestreamed it over to the Senior Center.
The weather cooperated; overcast and cloudy with just enough rain for the occasion. I stole many of these pictures from one of DeAnne's daughters Facebook page. I am glad that she took a few pictures, while I thought about it, I didn't take any.
They brought DeAnne's two VW bugs and her golf cart to the service and the school even donated a bus to transport the family from the church to the cemetery. Everyone was encouraged to wear pink. Four of the grandchildren got up and did readings. The entire service was very touching and plenty of tears were shed. DeAnne was baptized and married in this church.
We left early the following morning and headed east to Dino and Lisa's house! Just a one-night stay but we made the most of it! We had lunch at their place then jumped into truck and went on an adventure.
Our first stop? A brewery of course!
We then went on a troll hunt! This area has a series of trolls throughout the area. Each has its own story as well as clues to where you can find the next troll. We only had time for two, it will give us a reason to come back again!
It was a great day and the perfect distraction. We always have fun together. After breakfast the next morning we were off! 4 hours later we pulled up to a friend of Barb's in New Richmond Wisconsin. Melanie lost her husband a couple of months ago and we were not able to make it to his celebration of life. It was great to spend a couple of hours with her.
That evening we stopped at our niece Katie's place who lives less than 5 miles from Melanie. They took us out to supper at 45th Parallel Distillery for a couple of pizzas and then next door to a brewery. We spent the night in their driveway. They had both left for work by the time we woke up the next morning. Of course, I forgot to take pictures at either of these events.
Then it off to my sister Judy's house in Balsam Lake where the whirlwind of activity continued. They have an absolutely beautiful place on the lake, and the leave were changing adding to its beauty.
We used to live in this area as well and have several favorite places we like to go. One of our mainstays was The Thirsty Otter, and it was Thursday and that only means one thing; All you can eat rib night! We were joined by another niece Kris who drove over from Minnesota to see us.
For those of you who noticed the weird angle of my arm, that is not actually my arm. Brother-in-law Mike was playing prankster behind us. Another thing we miss about this area is the bars. There is nothing quite like a northern Wisconsin bar where you know no one yet know everyone at the same time. Wise Guys in Milltown is just such a place. Of course, it helps that our favorite bartender of all time works there! Jules always has a smile on her face and is such a good person.
I took several random pictures of the bar to capture its essence.....
No stop at a Wisconsin bar is complete without doing shake-a-day!
Friday was golf day! Several months ago sister Judy had called and asked if I wanted to join them for my dad's memorial golf outing. My dad used to gold the Spooner Golf Course several times a week and as a youngster we each joined him on many occasions. In addition to Mike and Judy, we were joined by my brother Bob, sister Becky and her husband Murray.
Neither Barb or I are golfers, and I did not do my shoulder any favors, but in honor of my dad golf I did. And not well.
Last year, they had spread some of my dad's ashes on the course. It is nice knowing that part of him is now part of the course.
Saturday, we trekked over to Somerset to spend the day with our good friends Doug and Connie. We spent the day sighting in the new crossbow, exploring their property and just catching up.
Sunday, our last day in the area was the reason we came out here in the first place. The wedding of my brother Rod's stepdaughter! The irony of the week was not lost on me. The ending of one life and the beginning of something new. This is the first time that our entire family has gotten together in several years.
This first picture is of Brother Bob, Greta, Mike and Barb.
Sister Carol, Sister Becky, Brother Rod and Sister Judy. I have always called them "Brother/Sister" like that, not sure why, I just do.
Never in my life have I seen a groom so emotional over getting married. It started with a quiver of a lip as he waited for his bride to be to walk down the aisle. Soon, it was full out sobbing. He held it together for most of the actual ceremony. Very, very touching.
They asked us not to take pictures during the ceremony, but here are a couple from the reception.
 |
| Bride Rachel and groom Noah |
 |
| Brother Rod and Rachel |
The next morning we were homeward bound! But not before stopping to see another couple friend Tom and Shelly along the way. Tom and I have been friends for over 40 years and do not get to see each other very often. Of course, no pictures.
How are the dogs doing? Great! This was Masie's first travel adventure and we could not be happier with how she did. She threw up between our house and Rapid City during the first hour, but after that no more sickness. They just laid on Barb's lap most of the day and slept.
Now we are home. It seemed like a month ago that we left, but it was really only 11 days. Keeping busy and the distractions were just what we needed to keep our minds occupied. The house is a bit emptier; I still look in the corner for Dakota and still look for her in front of the bookcase in the bedroom. While her body is not there, I like to think her soul still is staring at us while we go about our day(s).
I think you diverted yourselves very well. It was a good plan.
ReplyDeleteAnd now it is time to get back to reality!
DeleteI'm sure Dakota is still there with you. Just in a different way. What whirlwind 11 days you had. Are you sure it wasn't longer?
ReplyDeleteYou made me go back and count and you are right, it was 12 days!
DeleteLovely photos and so wonderful that your family was all together and played a game of golf.
ReplyDeleteSo sad when we lose our pet, I sympathize with you both, I know as most of us do what it's like to lose one or two in the same year.
I watched DeAnne's funeral on my laptop. It was a very nice funeral, and I learnt a lot about DeAnne and what she did. Thanks for the link in the last post to her funeral. I expect it's hard to believe that I watched it living so far away on the other side of the world, but there you are, I did because I wanted to.
The bride and groom are looking good. The dogs seem settled sitting in the basket on Barb's knee asleep.
Take care.
That is so cool that you were able to watch it all the way over there! Thank you for doing that.
DeleteYou certainly fit a lot of activities into your trip! I love the idea of wearing pink to a funeral.
ReplyDeleteWe did not have any pink, but they handed pink ribbon pins out at the door for those who wanted them.
DeleteThis was such a good read, Jim. Touching, sad, happy, fun, thoughtful, all mixed together--and isn't that what life is? You are fortunate to have so many friends, and to be able to see them and family had to be a good antidote to grief. Sending a hug.
ReplyDeleteWe are indeed fortunate; we both had many hugs this past week and all were appreciated.
DeleteWow…what a whirlwind trip with tears of sorrow and happiness with family and friends. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteThere were plenty of "cheers" this week as well!
DeleteGood morning guys! I agree that it was a good plan. Family and friends sure have a way of giving us just what we need when we need it the most. What a touching celebration of life for DeAnne. And congratulations to the bride and groom. The trolls are way cool! Zoey and Maisie are so sweet together…I love how they cuddle. Dakota will always be present in your heart.
ReplyDeleteWe had heard of the trolls but had never sought them out. It was pretty cool to see a couple of them.
DeleteLots of memories on that trip. Those Dambro Trolls seem to be everywhere. They are fun. Always nice to be with family. I’m sure Dakota will always be around. Hurley’s collar still hangs by the door. Sometimes you just need a good distraction.
ReplyDeleteProbably relative Dambros; cousins, uncles and such. I wonder how many are across the country?
DeleteA lot of sadness but good things too-glad you could get out of the house and do other things-hugs
ReplyDeleteThe sadness is slowly subsiding, and we are starting to look forward and focus on what is ahead of us.
DeleteNew scenery and time with good friends help with the healing, until you walk into the house and she's not there. Those "firsts" are always the hardest, but now they're over....Sigh. I know you know, but the edges of grief soften with time and new memories will be made.
ReplyDeleteIt is already better after this week. Which in itself makes me feel a little guilty.
DeleteI'm glad you got some time away and I think the pink for the service was a great choice - makes it a much more joyous remembrance I think. Great that you've got a good supply of friends to lessen the pain as well. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThat is more or less how they treated the event; a joyous remembrance.
DeleteWhat a whirlwind trip, but sometimes distractions are the best thing to keep us from wallowing in our grief. Glad you got to see family and frineds and celebrate life.
ReplyDeleteI am thankful for Zoey and Maisie as they also distract us and give us their unconditional love.
DeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. That's always hard to get through.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mary, this week on the road really helped distract us.
DeleteWowzer that was a lot of friends and family! I love the pink at the memorial, what a great idea. Good to see Maisie settling in as a traveling pup. Nearly a year later I still occasionally feel Tessa nudge me awake in the morning. We are blessed to have known their love.
ReplyDeleteWe are more than pleased with Maisie's progress and the fact that she was a good traveler on this trip. It would be miserable to have a dog that gets sick every time they travel.
DeleteGlad you got to have some "fun", some "family", some "friends" to counter balance the loss of a good friend...almost a family member...and of course, the loss of a good furry friend too. Glad it all went well.
ReplyDeleteAll three of those were just what we needed this week!
DeleteI’m so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is like losing a member of the family -- their presence fills the home in such a special way, and the emptiness afterward is hard to bear. Dakota will always be part of your heart and memories, and it’s comforting to know she’s still with you in spirit.
ReplyDeleteWe ordered a couple of pictures that included Dakota this week. We will hang them with the pictures of our other dogs that are not longer with us.
DeleteI am glad you had the support of so many family members and friends. A tough time for you with DeAnne and Dakota. Our goodbye gatherings were always bittersweet, laughter in the retelling of wonderful stories and memories but good to be with people we hadn’t seen in years, all there for each other. The wedding sounded sweet too and oh my goodness, such cute photos of your pups. Yes, I think Dakota is still looking out for you all.
ReplyDeleteWe miss both of them dearly. It was very nice to see my family and a few friends this week. It has been a couple of years.
DeleteLife goes on I suppose, but it's just not as fun. I still talk to Cooper, pet his blanket and fill his water bowl. It's sad how we lose the people and critters who mean so much to us.
ReplyDeleteIt takes a long time to get used to the absence of a pet. So many goodbyes are hard. You were near us! We live just 29 miles East of Detroit Lakes:) I have only seen the Troll in the City Park. You put on some miles...ending with a wedding..life goes on.
ReplyDeleteYou've had such a load of grief in such a short time. I'm so sorry -- it's just so much. I'm glad you were able to pepper in some pleasant times, good stories and reminiscences and visits with people who cared about those you do. I hope it helped a bit in the healing although those empty spaces where once Dakota was have to be tremendously hard.
ReplyDeleteYou certainly had a busy 11 days! My mom always said that funerals aren't for the dead, but those living without them. So true.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear Maisie didn't get car sick more than once. Bodes well for further travels. Dakota will always be part of your heart and mind.