Monday, July 24, 2017

The Story of the Big Yellow Bobber......


No pictures this week, just a story to tell........
One of the things we love about coming up here is the people. Each week a new group of fisherpeople come in from various parts of Canada and the United States. Over 1/2 of them are returning customers while the remaining are new. Seeing the returning customers is like a reunion of sorts. We get to visit and catch up with what each of us have been up to throughout the year. This past week we met people from northern Minnesota, Ohio, Windsor Ontario and Iowa.

The subject of this blog is a lone fisherman named Ed. Ed is a personal injury lawyer from Iowa who drove 14 hours for two days of fishing. Since he had never been up here before I offered to take him out both days. He was looking for the full adventure package and he got a lot more than he ever expected!

Taking someone fishing like this may sound like all fun and games but it is actually quite stressful. He drove a long way to get here and his expectations were high. For our first adventure I planned a full day of walleye fishing on Onaman Lake complete with shore lunch on a remote island on the lake.

Well….. the best laid plans got off to a rocky start. Our hour drive to the parking area was uneventful until we got within 100 yards of our destination when I heard an all too familiar noise coming from one of the jeep tires. I stopped and look to see a ½ flat tire on the rear of the jeep. I quickly jumped in the jeep and made it to the parking area. Rather than spend valuable fishing time changing a tire I told Ed to grab his rod and we would worry about it later.

After the mile and a ¼ walk to the lake we jumped in the boat and headed to my favorite hot spot. The same place we made the video a few weeks ago. It was dead calm on the lake…. no good. After an hour of fishing we had one fish and I am internally panicking. I need to get this guy on the fish!!!! Spot #2 near pelican island, same thing….. no fish. By now we are two hours into our fishing trip and have 2-3 fish to show for our efforts. I keep telling Ed that it is just a matter of finding them, once we do we will be catching them like crazy. So we move to a point that I have done well at in the past. By now the wind and clouds have rolled in so our once calm and flat lake has turned into white caps and rollers. Challenging for boating but good for fishing.

We pulled up at spot #3 and started catching fish almost immediately. Over the next hour we caught about 24 walleye averaging 20-22”’s. Finally I can start to relax, we are on the fish! We kept 3 for shore lunch and after a time headed to an island to cook them up. We arrive at the island, tie up the boat, cut up the potatoes and put them on my portable stove while I cleaned the fish. There is nothing better than a shore lunch right on the lake, it was fantastic!

Lunch done, I start cleaning up and bring everything over to the boat to load up and…… no boat. I look downwind and see the boat drifting down the lake bobbing in the waves about 300 yards off the island! I run back up to my duffle bag I had unloaded our shore lunch gear from and grab my life jacket and start running for the lake. Ed says “What are you doing?” Putting on my life vest I replied that I was going to get the boat.

Picture if you will…..Life vest on, take pants off and pull the rip cord on my life vest which activates the automatic inflator. Within seconds a huge yellow life vest inflates around me. So there I am standing on shore in my underwear with this silly yellow life vest on headed for a boat 300 yards out on a windy lake. What choice to I have? Doing my best Michael Phelps imitation I leap in the water and swim as fast as I can….. for about 50 yards…..then I turn on my side and do a side stroke for the next 50 yards pretty soon I am on my back doing the back stroke totally exhausted. After the next 50 yards I figure I must be gaining on it so I roll over to see the boat still 200 yards away! The wind is carrying it much fast than I am swimming. Undaunted I carry on until I just can’t swim any more, I look at the boat, still no closer, I look at the island… it is now 200 yards up wind and here I am too tired to move… floating like a huge yellow bobber in the middle of this lake.

Decision time… do I continue after the boat? Do I head back to the island? The only way to catch the boat is to wait for it to hit shore about 3 miles across the lake.... and I am not sure if I have the strength to swim back to the island. Luckily common sense kicked in and I turn around and head back to the island. At this point I can only lay on my back and scissor kick and stroke with my arms. Waves are crashing over my face but I can tell I am making headway. It is then I realize I am still wearing my hat. Why am I wearing my hat? Oh well….. I carry on… I am thinking we are here for the night and someone will come look for us tomorrow. We have food, water and fire, it is not going to be fun but we will survive. But how will they find us on this 28,000 acre lake?

I finally make it to where I can touch bottom but don’t have the strength to stand up so I continue swimming and just off shore I beach myself on a boulder like a sea lion on the Oregon coast. A sea lion wearing a yellow inflatable life vest that is. Ed is standing close by asking if I am alright but I just hug the rock trying to catch my breath. I look up and what do I see headed in our general direction? Another boat! Ed takes off his shirt and starts waving it and I stand up to make the yellow vest more visible. I am not sure what they thought when they saw a shirtless man waving at them and a pantsless man standing in the water….. anyone with common sense would have probably turned around and headed the other way but they came over and we directed them to the boat which they promptly retrieved for us. Ends up they were a husband, wife and two kids group from Windsor Ontario who were staying at Pasha Lake as well. They are now our new best friends!

Soon we were all packed up and back in the boat laughing and catching fish. For something that could have turned out horribly bad in many several different scenarios it could not have turned out much better. We must have caught more than 30 fish each averaging over 20”’s and a story to tell on top of it!

At the end of the day we arrived back to the jeep, changed the tire and headed home.

The next day we headed to Northwind Lake. It was a great and much less exciting day where again caught about 30 fish each and Ed caught his first blue walleye. And guess who we ran into on that lake???? The Windsor family who rescued us the day before! We invited them to have shore lunch with us, afterall, it is not like they did anything for us…. Mark and Deb are a great couple and we hope to catch up with them on our journey east next summer.

At the end of day 2 Ed said he had some of the best fishing ever and an adventure of a lifetime! Another successful mission….






35 comments:

  1. Wonderful! So glad you were ok. Scary situation! Nice fishin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the fishing as good, it is the only thing that saved the day!

      Delete
  2. The way you describe your situation Jim I was right there with you! Scarey and hilarious at the same time! I'm glad it worked out safely in the end. It's a good thing it was Ed that took his shirt off and not you with your reputation of of doing that to scare RVers away that park too close to you! 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is funny! The water was a brisk 68 degrees so I opted to keep my shirt on.

      Delete
  3. Wow what a nail biter story, sure awfully scary! Guess you can count that as one of your nine lives. But I can't believe you didn't take any pictures along the way, would have made a nice drone series or Go-Pro video. LOL! Glad you made it back safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my luck that day the drone would have flown off into the sunset never to be seen again.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! Dad is still curled up laughing and may have wet himself! Glad y'all are safe and sound and have another fishing story in the books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I fear for you when there is no "adult" supervision around. What where Barb's thoughts on the whole ordeal. Did you get a tongue lashing? Glad you are okay. Hypothermia is a real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was worried as we were late getting back but she must not have been too worried as I got no tongue lashing.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. She could triple it and still get nothing, 2x0=0 any way you add it up.

      Delete
  7. It's the misadventures that become the greatest stories. Ed won't soon forget his time with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a day! So glad no one was hurt in the process - which is why it is so funny now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We can laugh knowing you survived to write the post. You had both of us in tears picturing you pantless with your big yellow life vest!!! So glad you remembered to wear your hat, though. You will be the best part of Ed's fishing story at home. And what great memories, well, some nightmares, you sent him home with! Good thing you don't live in Iowa! Thanks for sharing!! What a dedicated guide you are:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A story like that doesn't need pics...what an incredible story and I bet looking back you can now laugh. I am glad Ed had a great experience and a story to tell back home. With all the chaos of the day, you met some good folks and Mark and Deb will be a good friendship that may not have happened if it weren't for the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would tip you big just for the adventure of all this. Its been a long time since I needed to hire a guide, but I can appreciate all your effort and perseverance. Great story for many years to come. Glad all came out well. Would enjoy meeting you maybe next year if you are staying around Q in Feb/Mar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No tip or guide service here, I just did it so the guy had a great experience.......what is wrong with me!?!?

      Delete
  12. First, glad you're okay....and second, that was hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like something I would do. Glad things worked out. Funny story now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank goodness you did not drown! Barb would never have forgiven you. lol I wish someone had taken a video of you ... it would have been stellar. Glad you still have a sense of humour. Most people would have avoided telling the tale of the "Big Yellow Bopper". We sure needed a good laugh today and thankyou for providing it. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about not writing about it at all but you have to be able to laugh at yourself once in a while! Glad I could provide you guys with a momentary chuckle.

      Delete
  15. Wow so glad you are ok. I am picturing you in your underwear (sorry Barb), a life vest, and you hat, all you needed was some cowboy boots and you could have been that guys that hangs out on Times Square. 😄 I admire the fact you cared so much about Ed's experience, Says a lot about who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Once again Jim I am happy that we decided to go back for another fishing lesson from you! (They are right here)lol. It was a real pleasure to meet both Barb and yourself. We already miss being up there but we will be back next year for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rescue! We fished the Tourist Trap today and pounded the walleyes.

      Delete
  17. Wow! So glad that you had a positive outcome making it okay to laugh at your misfortune.:-) That's one hilarious fishing story that will be told over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  18. HEY!!! The next time we see each other lets go fishing LOL!!!!! Not really, just joking LOL!!!

    Dave & Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deal, I have the perfect little island we can stop at for lunch!

      Delete
  19. Wow, so glad it all ended well but you sure do go to great lengths to make sure the guest has a lifetime experience.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your videos. have watched them many times over.. I am headed to Onaman Lake for the first time in about 10 days. hoping you would pass on a couple spots or some tips to helping our trip turn out well?? thanks
    DAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you are staying here at Pasha look me up and I will mark some spots on a map for you. Otherwise, if you search out any wind blown islands or points you should find fish. Fish as shallow as 6 feet and work your way out to the 14-18 foot range....

      Delete
    2. OK thanks for the pointers...we appreciate it...We are gunna be at Picnic Island with Bauer's outfitters...

      Delete
  21. Sounds like something I would do......jump in without thinking! Scary. Glad it turned out & you can laugh now!

    ReplyDelete