Friday, November 30, 2018

What if......?



This past Monday marked a much highly anticipated event in Pennsylvania. In fact, it is just a huge event that the schools close for the first three days of the week! Husbands, wives, sons and daughters take off of work so they can partake….So what is this illustrious holiday? Why the opener of deer season of course! So when Shane offered to let me hunt on their lease, it was an offer I could not refuse! 

Throughout the week we spent several 11 hour days in search of the elusive “grey ghost”. Spending that much time in the middle the woods, alone with your thoughts your mind really gets to wander. I could not help but reflect on how lucky we are to be doing what we are doing, all the adventures we have had and all that are yet to come. 

One thought that crossed my mind was: “What If….what if I could go back and live forever at one moment in life, when would that be?”  For me, the answer is easy…..it would be the late 80’s. And no, it was not because of the music!

Barb and I would have been in our mid to late 20’s, the kids were at the age when they idolized us and were excited to see us whenever we walked in the door.
We had just built our very first home on 11 acres on the bluff of the St Croix River outside of Somerset Wisconsin and spent the winter clearing the land in preparation for our new house.

I remember spending hours out there cutting down tree and burning brush. It was so cold that winter that the builder had to use a frost pick to dig out basement and foundation. Once the house was built, we got our first two horses. The first and last Arabians we would ever own. More than once we would go out for a ride and my horse would arrive home 20 minutes before me, waiting for me with a grin on his face that said "I won again!"

We had our whole lives in front of us, with endless possibilities to make of it what we wanted. But the best memories are of Jessica and Forrest growing up.... Funny, I don't remember the temper tantrums, the brattiness, just the good times. It's good to have a selective memory!
They went from this.....
Love, the 'stache!

To this, in just a few years
We spent 10 years in that house. Interestingly it was probably the most financially challenging point in our lives but also one of the most rewarding. It was also a time when both my parents and Barbs dad were still alive and we spent a lot of time with our siblings who were having children of their own. 
One of the many family get-togethers we had in that house
So yes, if I could go back and live forever at one point in our lives, that would be it. That said, the next period would be what I anticipate the next 20 years to be. Building our new house, continuing to travel, watching our kids and grandchildren grow up and growing old(er) with the love of my life. 
But I know most of you are really wondering..... how did I do hunting? Lets just say I had a lot of time to watch nature, reflect on life and take a few pictures. Day 1 I sat in what they call the "Log Blind". It is a raised platform built into a blind by staking alternating logs together. 



There was good sign in the area, the bucks had been rubbing trees and creating scrapes to mark their territory and show dominance over the other bucks in the area. 
Bucks create these scrapes then pee on them trying to attract the does!
They also rub small trees to show dominance over other bucks in the area
It was cool and raining but thanks to the hunting umbrella I bought years ago (and maybe used once) I was able to stay dry. The stand overlooked three shooting lanes which offered clear shots should a deer appear.
Sitting under the umbrella looking down one lane

With views like this it should be pretty easy to get a deer! I did see two deer that day but they were small and of course stayed in the thick stuff!

There are also bear in the area which was evidenced by the claw marks on the log stand. Someone else is try to mark his territory!
But there was plenty to take pictures of as I watched the squirrels preparing for winter as they gathered leaves and brought them to their nests in the trees. I would watch this one squirrel climb down his tree, go about 50 yards to gather leaves and then go back to its nest dozens of times always going to the same spot to collect leaves. What is wrong with the leaves right below his tree?


Looks like a good place to spend the winter!
 One thing I found interesting was the amount of vines they have in this area. Wisconsin had vines but certainly not to the extent that this area of Pennsylvania does. They just covered everything!
Vines covered every bush

Larger ones climbed every tree

But the birds seem to enjoy hiding in them.....

…..and eating the berries.
The unfortunate part about rain this time of year is that it cools down at night and freezes making for slippery roads and ice covered vehicles. 
A sheet of ice covered the window!


Our other adventures this week included a trip to Hershey to see the candy factory and a stop at Troegg brewery to try some of their finest!

The Hershey World amusement park was closed so went inside and walked the factory. It was interesting but now that we have seen it I don't think we will ever feel the need to come back. 
We were looking for a giant sized Almond Joy but they did not have it. 
Troegs Brewing Company on the other hand was definitely someplace we would go back! They have quite the facility in Hershey and some great brews. 
Jess and Shane have quite the variety there!
This coming week the fun continues with more deer hunting, Christmas tree cutting and hopefully Gettysburg! Stay tuned!

34 comments:

  1. Those are some tasty looking beers you got there! Wish I had one to go with pondering my own "What if...?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that an Air Supply cassette with your name on it under that Christmas tree, Jim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just threw up in my mouth! Air Supply? You got to be kidding me!

      Delete
  3. I enjoy going over to the new Richmond and somerset, wi area for the stock car races in new Richmond, wi. Once in a while I will travel up highway 35 and cross over to Minnesota and go to interstate park on the Minnesota side.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cedar Lake Speedway was a fun way to spend the night, haven't been there for years.....

      Delete
  4. What if...kinda like the would you choose "to go back in time knowing what you know now" or "if you could change one thing". I'm a firm believer of all the previous steps we've taken have led us to this point, if I went left instead of right at any point would I be where I am now. Love where I am so sure wouldn't want to change the steps in my past.
    Hershey was a one and done for us years ago, though the brewery wasn't there at that time. Enjoy your PA family time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought the same thing; every up and down, right or wrong has led us to right where we are today and we love right where we are!

      Delete
  5. We loved Troeg's as well!! Glad you are enjoying PA....good luck with the deer stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to go to the Yuengling Brewing Company as well but it is just too far away so will have to save it for another trip in the area.

      Delete
  6. After looking at your old family pictures that’s going to be one of our goals with our kids this Christmas when we fly home. There’s something special about being alone with your thoughts and nature when on a hunt...the air is so still your ears ring from the quietness but then you hear the noise of a single leaf falling. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is that there is always ringing in my ears! You are right though it gets so quiet out there. How is it a squirrel sounds like a herd of buffalo coming through the woods and a deer walks by quite as a mouse?

      Delete
  7. The 80's huh? I can see you in parachute pants and a Don Johnson jacket. You are getting sentimental in your old age. Nice blog though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big glasses and the mustache are a tell tale giveaway!

      Delete
  8. Ray and I did the "what if" this morning. We are with you ... the ten years from the mid-80's to mid-90's are our best times. We were living in the Queen Charlotte Islands in a log house. Kids were in elementary school and we did a lot of scuba diving, camping and fishing with them almost every weekend year round year round with our 16 foot zodiac. Garrett learned to drive a stick shift at ten years old in Ray's beat up company toyoto pick-up in the middle of nowhere while we camped. He also learned how to "field dress"a deer.You could shoot 13 per license per year! Not that we did. Both Ray and I were volunteer fire fighters and did a lot of training with our team, including drinking a lot of beer and a lot of parties. lol Ray really enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Forrest learned to drive a stick about the same age. We used to let him drive it around the field.

      I would have loved to see your log house, we always thought we were going to live in one when we were talking about our "dream house" then we learned how much work they are and dropped that dream for something a little more maintenance free!

      Delete
  9. I agree, despite being barely solvent and crazy busy, the years spent raising my small kids were some of the best times of my life. Who'd have guessed!? And, go figure, the huge Sally Jesse Raphael glasses I'm wearing are back in style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you still have those glasses, you could sell them on eBay for a couple hundred bucks! I enjoyed looking through all our old pictures looking for just the right ones. There were a couple that you and others would have killed me had I used them!

      Delete
  10. What ifs would be nice but then think of everything else that you would miss out on.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, which is why we are looking forward to the next 20 years even more!

      Delete
  11. Just left rainy downtown Gettysburg!

    ReplyDelete
  12. KitKats are my favorite … I want that one! Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I can't think of anything more rewarding in life than seeing your child(ren) grow up into respectful, productive adults and enjoying a wonderful relationship with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been very fortunate and have 2 great kids that we are very proud of. That Kit Kat bar was huge, it would take a year to eat that thing!

      Delete
  13. If I could go back in time - it would be to mid-80’s, when Bill & I just got married, just starting out, starting our family - they were difficult financial times but awesome also! Back before “adulting” got old and boring! Or when we moved to PA, the kids were older and starting their time in HS - in spite of the teenager attitudes, those were also great times! Actually - all times have their downsides and upsides. Hard to pick just one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it is hard to pick a time but we sure enjoyed that age when they were that young and just starting elementary school. If I remember correctly you enjoyed the 80's for the music as well!

      Delete
  14. Loved this post so good to remember the good times.
    Surprised that there is no snow cover in the woods.
    Good luck hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow in this area came and went a couple times since we have been here. Sure would help the hunting!

      Delete
  15. Now this is my idea of hunting! Good job:) I'm sorry we aren't in the area for a Gettysburg tour. With John a history major he gives a nice tour of the three day battle. You home doesn't look as nice with all the ice dripping. But being there with the family is extra special and worth the cold:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We toured it yesterday and it sure would have been nice to have a personal guide! Less than a week left here before we start heading to warmer states!

      Delete
  16. I love those old family pics. They always bring back cherished memories....some good, others....welllll. It's all family history.
    Hope your weather holds for travelling. They sure have been getting some ugly storms in the Northeast lately. Travel safe.....and good luck with the hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it looks as though the weather is going to hold out for us, if not we will have to hunker down wherever we are and wait it out!

      Delete
  17. Nothing like time in the woods to think about all of the blessings we have. Nice pictures and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, even though I did not get a deer I sure enjoyed my time in the woods.

      Delete