Well, it thrills me to say that……. Hopefully next week at this time we will be fully insulated and heated!
What happened? Some, but not enough. Everything just seems to take longer than anticipated. Barb has been going crazy on the insulation and I have been working on the soffit.
One of the things that stresses us out about building a house yourself and that is the fact that we cannot do everything and need to have to subcontract out some things. Relying on other people to come when they said they would and do the work they promised (and sometimes paid in advance for) is very frustrating!
The first was the garage door guy who was over a month later than promised. We were really stressed with him as he wanted $5,000 in advance to pay for the materials then would not return our calls or texts. He finally got the job done but it was literally more than a month after he said it would be done.
The second was our heating guy. Although he did not ask for any money up front he was over a week later than promised, And again, very poor at communicating; why he missed the scheduled date or when he will be out. Calls, emails, text go pretty much ignored. I get there may be delays but at least communicate them! He did not show up last week as promised. He finally did show up this past Thursday morning unexpectedly and got most of the installation complete.
That is one drawback of not using a local and well known contractor is that you are on the bottom of the list and their bread and butter customers get put ahead of you. We dealt with that on another house that we built where we did not do any of the building but acted as the contractor subbing out the installs so we were aware of delays but it still raises the blood pressure!
Well, at least the boiler is installed and hopefully he will be back next week as promised for the final hookup. The system itself looks great! It is a combination fire tube boiler for heating the in-floor heat and a tankless hot water heater for our domestic hot water needs. Kevin said he has installed a lot of them over the years and are a good unit. The specific one we got is a new model and is supposed to be more efficient and have a longer life than its predecessor.
|The unit itself is about 4'x2' so you can get an idea of the overall size|
|He was able to stack them so they took up less room|
|Barb sitting on the job again, 16' in the air!|
The soffiting is going well. Putting up the F Channel and cutting the soffits to length were a little more time consuming than I anticipated. For anyone doing this in the future I would recommend a corded circular saw. Cutting steel with the battery operated DeWalt burns through the batteries pretty quickly.
|Yes, I am wearing safety glasses|
The hardest thing, or I should say the most strenuous was putting up the high pieces of firerock between the house and the garage. It is only 8 upper level pieces but really hate doing it so I have been putting it off only doing 2-3 pieces the last few weeks. Now that we are almost all the way insulated I need to get it done. The problem is that I have to cut the pieces to fit the roof angle then position the sheetrock at the base of the ladder, push it 12’ up the ladder while trying to climb it.
A 12' x 4' piece of 5/8" sheet rock weighs a little over 105 lbs.
|Up we go!|
|1/2 way there!|
|Almost lost it!|
The weather cooperated this week with 40's, 50's and even a day in the 60's! But the bottom is falling out the next few days.
Funny story of the week comes from our daughter Jessica. For the past few years every Halloween she buys back some of the candy her kids get for .25 each. In year past they get so much that they would be on a sugar high for weeks. Well this year was another banner year for the kids especially when they went to their neighbors who work at Hersey and dumped an entire bag into each of the kids candy sacks! She ended up buying back over $30 worth of candy .25 at a time from EACH of the kids and they still had plenty left over for their sugar high!
Our disgusting story of the week happened just tonight. I wanted to get the tanks dumped before the couple of cold days. Since we have a dump station right in the garage it is not a big deal. Well, I hooked up the hoses, pulled the black tank only to find out of the hoses had a huge hole in it! Ugh! I shut it off but it was a little late. Nothing a little bleach and water won't fix.
On the deer hunting front, the big one is still eluding me but I did get a picture of one of the little guys ripping up one of our pine trees!