Saturday, June 6, 2020

Out-Fishing Barb Once Again!

2:46 Am. Or at least that is my guess. It’s a game I play with myself throughout the day and too often at night. I am trying to resist looking at the clock and hope to fall back asleep but it isn’t working. 15 minutes or so later I guess 3:03 am and pick up my IPad push the button. 3:08. I can usually guess within 5 minutes or so and this time I was right within that mark. I know it is stupid but it is the way my mind works sometimes. Well I am up now….may as well see what is going on in the world….

Forrest, Somer, Barb and I had gone out the night before. Lily was at a sleep over so we had the night to ourselves and thought it would be a good idea to go out and medicate my elbow. Well, I think I over medicated it which is why I was up in the middle of the night. 
We went to The Pikey  in downtown Klamath. Great burgers and beer. Barb found a new one she liked in the "Man-Go Fluff Yourself" Mango Milkshake IPA (hey, I can't help it, that is really what it is called!). It comes from the River Bend Brewery Company out of Bend Oregon. 

The bar had a live band which we listened to while playing pool. At Somer's suggestion we played for the dinner and bar tab. Little did Barb and I realize that Somer was a pool shark and we had been hustled! She must have felt bad for us as when we were not looking she paid all our tabs! We got back home after 10:00 which for those of you who know us is an extremely late night!

The week was filled with a mixture of working on the house project, shooting my bow and fishing. Yes, we went fishing! We fished the famous Williamson River. For those of you unfamiliar with it, the Williamson is known for their world-class sized rainbow trout. 
I wish I could tell you the picture above was a picture of me with one such trout but truth be told it is a picture some random guy on the internet who most closely resembled me. I mean this guy is the spitting image of me if you were to take off 30#’s and maybe 20 years…

Oh, I caught fish but they would fit in the palm of my hand. Had I used the two hand method shown above all you would have seen was my hands as the fish would have been completely covered up. Well at least I caught fish, as did Forrest. Barb on the other hand got skunked. Zero, zilch, nada, no fish for Barbie. Yet another example of how I out fished my wife like 6 or 8 to 0. Chalk one up for the superior fisherMAN!
Headed down the river!
 We tried both fly-fishing and spinner fishing and found that fly-fishing out of a kayak is quite challenging. We caught fish both methods but could only fly-fish where it was shallow enough to get out of the kayaks and cast. 
Forrest with a nice Rainbow
In the bow shooting department I have it all dialed in out to 60 yards and am ready for the moose hunt assuming they open the border in a few weeks and assuming everything goes well throughout the summer and I get to go. Forrest and I play a friendly competition when we shoot. We each pull a dollar out of our wallets, fold it so only George’s head is visible and pin it to the target.
We then step back to 40 yards and try to hit George between the eyes. I am at Forrest’s dollar while Forrest aims at mine. We alternate shooting arrows and whoever hits the bills wins. On my 4th arrow “wack” I put George out of his misery. One dollar in my pocket! Now I need to try to reclaim my dollar and two arrows later a second George finds its way into my pocket. I asked Forrest if he wants to see if we can assassinate any Lincolns or perhaps Franklins he has in his wallet? Chalk one up for the superior archerDAD! 
Thanks for the money Bud!
Our remodeling project is going well. I have most of my work done, now Barb and Somer move on to painting. Another week or so and we should have it wrapped up. 

Barb has introduced Lily to geocaching. Those two have been on a couple outings and have found numerous geocaches. One day they ended up at McDonald’s, another day at Baskin Robbins where they did not find any geocaches but did find a couple of sweet treats.

Lily with a geocache
Barb’s highlight of the week (literally) was that she was able to go get her hair cut and highlighted. It had been almost 11 months since her last one. She had 4”s or so taken off. I made the mistake of looking at our credit card statement and got a shock. Who knew that stylists charged like $50/inch! 

That pretty well sums of the week. The temps finally cooled down into the bearable range in fact the nights are awesome getting down into the 40’s! 

Hey... This is Barb and the editor of the blog. Jim is full of it! I did not even go fishing with them that day! I would have totally out-fished him!

31 comments:

  1. No doubt Barb. He isn’t fooling anyone!
    Great shot with the bow though! Great float and pretty area! I’ll bet Lily loved the caching and snacking!
    PS. That trout was about 5 lbs too heavy to be believable Jim 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that if you drink 5 beers, stare into the sun for 30 seconds and then look at the picture while squinting your eyes it just might look like me holding that fish!

      Delete
  2. Ha ha Jim ... good try. Barb I bet it felt wonderful to have your hair cut. Our salons are still not open so I definitely have been fighting with my "Covid Hair". lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just gave me a great idea for the next fly I am going to invent and tie up; The Covid Hair Caddis!

      Delete
  3. That's what I like about your blog. I like how brutely honest you are when it comes to out fishing Barb. She said she wasn't there. That's beside the point. The point is she could have been there and still been outfished. I will admit that you outfished me that day also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, I must be a great fisherman, I did not think about all the other people I out fished that day. I was just focusing on Barb!

      Delete
  4. We knew there was something fishy about his fish story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was not one word within that blog that was untrue, it is all in how you want to read it!

      Delete
  5. Well, this time I am with Jim...Barb did not going fishing, so she indeed did not catch any fish, she was indeed skunked. HOWEVER, had she gone fishing, I agree with Barb that she would have caught the larger fish, perhaps as large as that one in the picture. (how is that for being a diplomat?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first 1/2 of your comment and totally understand what you are saying. You lost me on the second half however.....

      Delete
  6. We all know who's the better fisherperson :) I'm about due for my annual hair cut, though I may put if off for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but we don't need to say it out loud, we might hurt Barb's feelings....

      Delete
  7. I could so relate to the game playing in the middle of the night - I do the same thing.
    Oh - and you out fished me that day (and any other day) too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beginning to realize what a great fisherman I am the more people that respond that I out-fished them as well!

      Delete
  8. I knew she didn't go fishing .... us women ALWAYS out fish the men!!! Weirdly, I do the same thing with time. I'm always guessing, to find I'm usually within ten minutes. All night long ........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but I have to take my little victories where I can get them!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful river! Sounds like a great night out for you all, nice of Somer to pay the bill. I hate waking up in the middle of the night like that. I always hope it's close to a get up time. Cute story of fishing! I'm looking forward to a new hair do too! Lily is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great river, we did see a few really nice trout but we just could not get the big ones to bite!

      Delete
  10. Hey Barb - Jim - The Liarman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't had a hair cut in almost 6 months and was desperate to get it under control. I pulled up youtube videos to see if Kevin might be able to just cut it for me. I watched two videos, had a hearty laugh, and made an appointment with a professional. Sometimes, it's just worthwhile to shut up and pay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, you should have had him cut it, it would have made for an interesting blog post!

      Delete
  12. Thank goodness for the blog editor:) Good to read that you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Border was to open as June 21 BUT moved back to July 24 surge of new virus case in US. Very short news blurb CBS Radio (twice)/. Have not heard the story again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen that yet but we are anticipating it now opening as well and have made other plans. We are going to head to Idaho and Montana to do some fishing over there.

      Delete
  14. It appears that your blog was infiltrated by fake news. Clearly you are the better fisherMAN. Have fun and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a lot of fun happening there in Oregon. I so knew there was something behind Jim's bragging about out fishing you, Barb! There is no way he can do that. Lots of happy women (and some men) with the salons reopening. Enjoy the the rest of your time with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to be able to spend some quality time visiting them rather than a week here and there. I think this trip we will be here for 5 weeks. They should be tired of us by the end of that!

      Delete