Saturday, August 12, 2023

Lord of the Flies

OMG, the flies this year are horrible! By far the worst we have ever seen. I do not know if it is a result of all the rain we have gotten this year or from the cattle. We had been blaming it on the cattle, but it seems everyone we talked to mentions how bad the flies are so maybe it is a combination of both. 

We have one fly bag out but it is now filled to capacity and there are none to be found in the stores around here or even in Rapid. I swear we kill over 100 a day in the house. Luckily Zoey thinks they are snacks and gobbles them up as soon as they hit the floor!

I took these two pictures. Of course, when I thought of taking the picture the flies were not too bad. Many times there would be 50-100 on the screen door trying to get in. 

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestion on my computer. One reader suggested I disable the touchscreen. Duh, I should have thought of that. That fixed my ghost functions and site changes. Someone else offered suggestions on fixing the hinge. I am going to give that a try as well. 

Others talked about MacBooks. That makes me a bit nervous. How different is their operating system compared to my HP? How does it interact with Blogger? I have heard of a lot of people fighting with Blogger, knock on wood, I have not had a lot of issues and do not want to invite any. 

For fun this week we only had one outing. Wednesday, we picked up Dan and Bonnie and headed to Keystone for a few hours of people watching. The bike rally is in full swing with the sound of bikes reverberating throughout the hills. When it comes to the rally, of course Sturgis is the main town, but the towns of Custer, Keystone, Deadwood and Hill City are filled with bikes as well. 

I took this video while driving through Custer after picking up Dan and Bonnie. Custer closes off the entire two center lanes through town for bike parking. Hill City is closed to all vehicle traffic through town other than bikes. 

Keystone only has a population of 240 permanent residents, this week, there are thousands more!

Both sides of the street were lined with bikes of every shape, size and model. If you are into overweight white people in their 60's, this is the place to hang out! Of course, the above picture of Barb is excluded from that category!

We spend quite a bit of time on the boardwalk having a beer or two and people watching. Keystone is also home to Dahl Brothers Chainsaw Art. They are world famous chainsaw artists. Some of the pictures just do not do the work justice. 

You too could own the bear on the right for a mere $15,000!

We met up with friends Merrill and Vicki as well while there and went to supper at The Powder House which is known for their wild game plates. I had the Buffalo Prime Rib and Barb had the Wild Game Sampler. We had been wanting to go there for a long time. Now that we went, we probably will not go again. 

The game cameras only produced these blogworthy pictures. 

A really nice nine point!


What are the odds of capturing this picture!?!?

A decent 8 point

Anyone know what kind of owl this is?
On the work front, we had a busy week. We spent two days over at Kevin and Cheryl's helping clean out the garage and stall area. As many of you know, they have been in construction mode for several years. Now that that is about done, it is time to clean it up. We had several curious onlookers while we did our work. 
Young Zeke 
Waylon
Barb has been busy sanding and staining the 8x8 posts for the gazebo. Each one takes about an hour to sand, she has a total of 6 to do. 
Thursday was concrete day! The concrete was scheduled to arrive at 9:30am. When did they pull in? 8:45 before Kevin and Sam showed up to help. Luckily the driver was a friend of ours, so we delayed him showing him the house until they arrived. Dave was able to drive the truck right alongside the house right up to the gazebo area. 
Sam on the rake, Kevin on the chute and Barb working the edges.
Barb still working the edges while Kevin finishes out with a float
We finished it off with a broom finish and stamping our brand into it!

Friday, our week took a turn for the worse. We spent the day running errands and working around the house. When we got done for the day around 3:00 Barb noticed that Zoey's face was all swollen up and red.  We gave her a Benadryl but when the swelling did not go down, she called the vet who said to give her some Rimadyl. That seemed to reduce the swelling, so we thought all was well. These pictures were taken before the swelling got really bad. 
About 11pm the swelling had come back and was worse than before, so we gave her another Rimadyl. By midnight, the swelling had moved down to her throat, and she was having trouble breathing. Barb called the vet again and she suggested that we take Zoey in. But not to Edgemont, she wanted Barb to take her into Rapid where they had an oxygen tent and the ability to intubate if necessary. 

So, away we went. We got there about 1:40am where a vet tech and vet were waiting. At first, they thought it was a rattlesnake bite, but blood tests ruled that out. They figured she was either stung/bit by or had eaten something and wanted to watch her overnight. We got home about 4am. They kept her until 6pm the following day. They have no idea what happened, but they gave her injections and monitored her throughout the day. The swelling is not totally gone as I write this, her eyes are no longer swollen but she has a serious waddle under her jowls. 

We are very thankful to have her pull through this, we did not know how it was going to go. Some of you are probably thinking "That must have cost a fortune". Actually, I was pleasantly pleased that it was under $1,000. We were expecting 2-4x that. 

Last but not least, we found two surprises this week. The first was a wooden bowl Barb found while walking in our woods. It was totally buried with just an edge sticking out. Who knows how old that is! The other treasure we found was almost equally as surprising. I walked around the back of the propane tank and found this cottonwood tree! It is about 2' tall and the only deciduous tree on our property. I cannot tell you where the nearest cottonwood tree is, but I am guessing the seed for floated for miles before landing behind the tank. Years from now, Lord willing, we will look back at this post and see how that tree started. It's a little close to the house to let it get too big but for now we are going to let it grow. 

57 comments:

  1. Poor Zoey! You may never know what did it, and let's hope it never happens again.

    With the title being "Lord of the Flies", I figured Dino must have shown up despite his food truck business...or that he had brought his Food Truck and all the flies followed. Of course, if we ever come by I'll sure wonder what the heck you might say about us...perhaps from the movie Maude and Harold since I am 16 years younger than Marcia...or "Driving Miss Daisy" since I do all the driving...of course, knowing you, it would be even more devious than those. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have just inspired me for my next blog post! You do not need to worry about me turning on you if we ever meet. I don't write nasty things about people I like!

      Delete
  2. OMGosh! That was so scary about Zoey!! So glad things didn't take a turn for the worst! Goodness! Now I can hardly remember the rest of the post--lol! Oh--all the bikers, a $15,000 wooden bear, horses watching you guys work, hidden camera deer shots, gazebo cement in, a broken bowl relic, and a baby cottonwood tree.

    The baby cottonwood...reminds me of my dad and I when I was five--finding one like that beside the house that he was going to pull and toss. I begged him to plant it and save it. We planted it together out near the street. I brought glasses of water out to it. Stood near it when Daddy mowed because he said he would probably mow it down by accident anyways (he didn't want to plant it). I still have family down in the Twin Cities and last I saw pictures of it several years ago (they had to walk halfway down the block to get the whole tree in the photo) it was still there--about 60 years old at that time. I wonder sometimes if it is still there towering over the neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have planted several trees throughout our lives. In 1987 we planted dozens of spruce trees on our first property. I recall these fondly as my dad helped me plant them. They are now over 30' tall.

      Delete
  3. That was quite a scare with Zoey. I hope she has a complete recovery soon.

    What a great gathering for bikers. Every few years there is a gathering of bikers from the Maritime provinces here in Summerside. They are great for businesses in town for sure.

    The chainsaw art is quite fascinating to me. It must take a long time to become so proficient at that kind of sculpture!

    We were out last night to a barbecue and the mosquitoes nearly carried us away. They are particularly bad here this year as well. It has been a wet year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the businesses around here rely on the rally to make it through the year. I do not know what percentage of business they do this weeks but it has to be substantial.
      We are also having a bad mosquito season. But for us that means 2-3 buzzing around us on our walks. Nothing like you are experiencing!

      Delete
  4. What a scare ... poor Zoey! She must have been bitten or stung by something. Got any wasps around? Maybe all those flies she ate? You never know. I hope it doesn't happen again!! Hugs for her.

    That cottonwood ... kill it!!! Just kidding ... BUT they are the messiest ever. We had them all over the ranch. The fluff they emit is awful. Maybe if it's trimmed up nicely. As for your computer, if you can figure out HP, you can figure out a Mac. It works just fine with Blogger. I've never had any of the problems others have had with it. Nice critter cam pics ... that one in the air!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were thinking maybe a wasp, or a black widow. We do not have a lot of wasps, but the black widows are pretty common.
      Of all the trees out there, I am with you, the cottonwood is one of my least favorite. When we lived in Wisconsin we planted cotton-less cottonwoods. Those were nice trees. Fast growing with none of the mess!

      Delete
  5. More fun concrete work, oh boy! Turned out great and it will be fun to "watch" the rest of the build. The bikes/bikers - meh; the flies 😲; poor Zoey, glad she came through OK, and what a cool bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to find the spot where Barb found the bowl again but couldn't. Barb said she was walking randomly, and it was at the base of a tree by a rock ledge. We have way too many spots that resemble that description!

      Delete
  6. So glad Zoey is OK--how very scary and I'm totally surprised by the bill! Trust me we know how much emergency care can cost, especially in Tucson! We live in a log home in Montana and log homes are notorious for flies. In AZ a friend introduced me to a product called Home Defense. In AZ I use it to discourage flies, scorpions, etc. from coming into the house. In Montana I spray outside and inside around every window and door frame. The bottle clearly states it is safe for indoor use. It has absolutely no smell. And the good part--it totally works! Now instead of hundreds of flies in our house this time of year I might see one or two a day--seriously! You guys are ambitious finishing your own concrete! We have a garage going up and the ole Cowboy decided that this time he was going to let someone else finish the concrete! That bowl was indeed a find and I love the critter camera photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool, I will have to look into Home Defense!
      When we called the vet at midnight, they gave us an estimate of $2,000-$4,000 if we brought Zoey in. I am sure they estimate high, so people are not shocked when they get the bill, but I was happy it was that much lower!

      Delete
  7. Oh, and I get the Home Defense at Home Depot, order it on Amazon, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear Zoey has recovered. Barb has quite a job to sand and stain the posts, they look heavy! But certainly easier than finishing all that concrete.
    You captured a nice collection of deer wondering through the property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say those posts are a couple hundred pounds each. We can lift them with one of us on each end. From there, she needs to roll them.

      Delete
  9. Good thing those flies aren’t No-See-Ums or your screens would be useless. Chainsaw artists always amaze me on their talents. Cool pic of that deer jumping the fence! Glad to see Zoey is doing well…the unknown is so scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! You are right, the no-see-ums would be worse and they bite!
      The chainsaw guys had a variety of saws blades. It was quite interesting.

      Delete
  10. Poor Zoey. Scary to have that happen. Yes flies are horrible. We found that in Texas last year. They were getting in the MH no matter what we did. Ray and I discovered that they were getting in the cracks in the windows where moisture was supposed to get out in the window tracks. We actually broke a fly swatter and had to buy 2 more to keep up. Very few flies here at the lake. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flies somehow sneak in around the screen doors so are are now keeping them closed they are real bad.

      Delete
  11. Thats a lot of bikes! I don’t know how they find their own after done drinking! Yuck on the flues. It’s been bad in the mountains around here too. Poor Zoey . Glad she’s getting better. Maybe she should cut back on those fly snacks? Concrete looks great. Nice Cam shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bikers tend not to drink too much when they are riding, but speaking from experience, even sober it is sometimes hard to find your bike!

      Delete
  12. Sorry about Zoey but glad she is ok now. If the vet cannot determine what caused the swelling I won't guess either, but flies do carry apparently lots of diseases. Good job on the concrete pad for the gazebo. Loved the photos from the game camera. That is so neat to have. Any idea how old that bowl might be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be onto something with her eating the flies.
      I would guess that the bowl is late 1800's, early 1900's when the Lakota frequented the area. We have seen other signs on them on the property but this is the first relic.

      Delete
  13. I think your gazebo needs that bear at the entrance! Wow, what a catch on that leaping deer!!! So glad Zoey is okay. My sweet Nokomis (wolf hybrid years ago) swallowed a black widow (we think) and we nearly lost her. It was terrifying. And yes that vet bill was a gift! Cottonwoods are sacred, hope you can keep it to bless your property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that about cottonwoods. At $15,000 a piece I was thinking maybe two bear sculptures, what do you think?

      Delete
  14. So happy Zoey is OK. Great find with the wooden bowl and the cottonwood tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it makes me want to get out there and look for more artifacts!

      Delete
  15. I was in the SD Badlands about a month ago! Went up on top of Sheep Table Mesa. Simply gorgeous! So peaceful, nice breeze I could have sat there for hours watching the light change on the landscape below. But those D@&n Flies! Thousands of them! And they bit like hell! Emptied most of a bottle of Deet on me ( bad mistake) to no avail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flies around here need some strong wings to fly against these winds! There becomes a point when you just need relief and pour on the Deet!

      Delete
  16. that's a lot of flies and what a pain. chuck's sister has been complaining about a lot of flies but we have not had a problem. i don't remember even one in the house.

    i was so nervous about going from an hp to a mac, put it off forever. when i finally did it i could not believe i waited so long...why i thought. i love my macbook. the operating system is a bit different but it took no time at all to get use to. i have had mine sine 2016.

    i watched the video, was hoping for sound, but did not get any!! but boy, that's a lot of bikes!! i have seen chainsaw art like that before, it is amazing!!!

    i enjoyed the deer, especially the flying one...and the horses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Barb and Bonnie were talking in the back seat so I cut out the audio. I guess I could have dubbed some in!

    I'll have to look closer at those MacBooks. I have never seriously considered one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor Zoe. What a scare! I hope there's some way to find out more about the bowl. You, Barb and your friend's work ethic is amazing. And dang...overweight white people in their 60's and I missed the show. I'm so bummed! Oh wait. I live with one of those. I'm good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! So does Barb! I don't know how to find out any additional information on the bowl but it would be interesting to know.

      Delete
  19. Lots of interesting things in this post. But poor Zooey. We have had so etching similar twice. Once it was yellow jacket stings, the other time a copperhead bite. Fortunately both dogs pulled through.
    The gazebo concrete looks great. A lot of work in concrete but you did a good job there.
    The motorcycles, ugh. I do not like them. Noisy things. I am glad not to be anywhere near Sturgis.
    Good luck with the flies! What a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How does a dog survive a copperhead bite?
      I think this is the last of our concrete work. I cannot think of anything else that needs it at the moment.

      Delete
  20. I shall leave you with the advice my father always gave us kids when he heard the door open. Deep from the dark recesses of our family room, a bellow could be heard from his recliner. "Shut the damn door! Where you born in a barn?" I would give that to you but the Jethro I know was born in a barn. Same place he was conceived. Love the blog. Hope Zoey is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have doors on our house growing up so this whole door thing is new to me.

      Delete
    2. Send in the flies. At least they are not murder hornets.

      Delete
  21. Poor Zoey! She must be allergic to the flies, especially eating so many. Did the vet think that could have caused the swelling? Glad you were able to get her to an emergency vet. I didn't think vets knew numbers that low!! Please keep us posted on her recovery. Such excitement that the concrete was poured . Can't wait to see the project being built. You certainly hit the motorcycle type right on the head!! Haha!! It is a hefty group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of this morning (Monday), all the swelling has gone down and she seems to be back to normal. They seem pretty convinced that it was a spider bite or sting of some sort.

      Delete
  22. That leaping deer picture is amazing. Ew about the flies.. love the chainsaw sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To have a camera in that exact spot and have it snap a picture at that exact time, I need to buy me a lottery ticket!

      Delete
  23. The wooden bowl is the neatest find and I can't tell what kind of owl that is. You have flies....we have mosquitoes! I'm so tired of staying inside because of the heat warnings but hopefully it will change some this week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I would rather put up with flies over mosquitoes any day. Better yet, a hard freeze would take care of both!

      Delete
  24. The picture of the owl is not really definitive, but I am fairly sure it is a juvenile Great Horned Owl still figuring out how to make its own way in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here hear owls once in a while but never see them. Cool to get a picture of this guy at the water trough!

      Delete
  25. Your poor pup, poor you! We use good old fashioned fly paper, but we don't have the quantity you have. I was thinking, once you get your place done, what wil you do, but I realized you have lots of friends around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are really looking forward to sitting back and enjoying our surroundings as well as getting on more adventures!

      Delete
  26. That must have been a worry regarding Zoe, one never knows with swelling in the throat, tongue and in and around that area.
    Goodness, so many flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were pretty concerned. Of course it didn't get bad until the middle of the night.

      Delete
  27. Poor Zoey and poor you! What a fright, how badly that could have ended..... I assume that there was something with a stinger mixed in with the flies. Glad she's ok now and that the vet was available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were impressed at how helpful the vet was after waking her up at midnight. We even called the vet in Rapid to make arrangements for us to go up there.
      She then contacted us the next few days to see how Zoey was doing. Incredible.

      Delete
  28. Oh wow, poor Zoey and poor you and Barb. That all sounded very frightening and I am very happy it turned out okay. Well, apart from Zoey, great goings on in this post. The concrete work with your brand is impressive. Good to have extra sets of hands for this kind of work and looking forward to your gazebo. Lots of interesting sights, loved the carvings. We've been through Sturgess but that was years ago at a quieter time. We've seen Rolling Thunder over here and before and afterward got used to lots of motorbikes on the road, which I always enjoyed. Loved seeing all the animals and bird, but maybe not the flies, smiling here. I remember driving through swarms up in Canada one year and never quite forgot that. Have a great weekend coming up and Zoey, stay away from sting-ee things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoey is on a short leash for the next few months while the biting and stinging things are still out and about!

      Delete
  29. I am enjoying your posts a great deal. They always make me smile, chuckle and even wince from time to time. Thanks for the efforts. They are greatly appreciated.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Good to hear from you! Hope all is well with you and Riley!

      Delete