It's gotta be hard being a puppy. Imagine if you will, you are 8 weeks old knowing nothing in your life but nursing to your heart's contentment, playing with your brothers and sisters and pooping and peeing wherever and whenever you want. Ah, life is good.
Next thing you know you are ripped from your mother's teat, put in a crate and you are driving down the road not knowing that you will never see your mother, brothers or sisters again. After the car ride you are given to a strange lady, a very, very strange lady.
Surely, I jest as I put human thoughts and emotions to the puppy. But puppies are very adaptable and live for the love of life. Living in the moment, for what is in front of them in the here and now.
Maisie is adapting very well to her new home. She has a new momma who she watches every move of. When Barb gets up, Maisie gets up. If Barb goes to the kitchen, Maisie goes to the kitchen, although sometimes she will just watch from wherever she is at. Heaven forbid Barb goes out of sight, then she has to get up and find her. Barb now has two dogs that follow her into the bathroom and two dogs to talk to while she is in there. A very, very strange woman, but a happy one!
How's potty training going you ask? For the most part good. We have picked up most of the rugs in the house as she seems to gravitate towards those. We have also picked up on her cues, when she puts her nose to the ground and is thinking about it we have to jump into action. If we do not watch her, there would definitely be more accidents but as it is, maybe one a day which at 10 weeks I would call a success.
At night she is in her crate which is right next to Barb. Maisie will sleep for about 3 hours, get up and whine at which point Barb will take her out and put her back into her crate for another 3 hours repeating the cycle. So far, she has not peed in her crate.
It's a lot like having a newborn baby, except you cannot put a baby in a crate... or is a crib just a bigger crate? I do not know (or remember) how working people do this, as they have to leave their pet for 8-9 hours at a time. Speaking of that, when she naps we will put her in her crate with the door open as we want her crate to be a safe space, a happy space, not something to dread. We will also purposely put her in there randomly throughout the day for 20 minutes when we go to town or just out in the yard so she gets used to it as part of her routine, hoping she does not become a screamer just because we put her in there.
As for videos, I have several. (I can just feel the excitement as Harry reads this part). As you will see, Zoey and Maisie are becoming best buds although I think Zoey will not be happy when Maisie can finally jump on the couch. Zoey now uses the couch as her "safe space" to get away from the annoying creature when needed.
Barb has been working on her hillside landscaping project. She decided to redo the drain area where we have two black drainage pipes coming out from the west side of the house.
One of my chores during the week is to make sure that not only we have enough water in the cistern, but to also make sure the critters have enough water as well. Our pond is all but dried up except for an ankle-deep spot about the 5' round. You can see the edge of it on the right side of the picture below.
The first picture shows what is left of the pond on the 28th, the second is the 31st. It changed quite a bit in just a couple of days.
We also have two water tanks; a 300 gallon one and a 100 gallon one. I also have a 250-gallon tote that I keep by the apple trees which I water 1-3 times a week depending on the week. I was on my way to the 100-gallon tank which requires going down a rocky embankment when all of a sudden, a front wheel on the tractor decided to pop off the rim which in turn caused the water tank to flip off. What a sh#tshow. So, there I was on a rocky downslope with a tire off the rim. I walked back to the house, got the Ranger, a couple of jacks, several blocks of wood, the impact and went back to see about getting the rim off the tractor.
It went a little better than expected. Once I got it off, I texted the neighbor who has a tire machine to see if he could get it back on the rim and aired up. 30 minutes later I was back in action!
All creatures great and small use these tanks....
The forecast for the week was more 90's with no precipitation called for. But living where we do, storms can pop up in a moment's notice and that is just what happened on Friday afternoon.
We were inside watching a movie, hiding from the heat when we started to hear the telltale signs of rain on our roof. Then came some minor hail, pea sized(ish). Then it started coming down a little heavier and a little heavier and then it was an absolute rain/hail monsoon! When it rains like this, the rain diverts on either side of the house with the west side becoming a river of sorts. We installed two drains on that side of the house to keep the rain moving and getting into the house.
Although we would have preferred a slow, steady soaking rain, we will take whatever we can get! For the next 30 minutes it rained/hailed over 1.5 inches. This of course started flooding things and our drains were working overtime, and from the living room I could see the pond was starting to fill up. As I watched through binoculars, I saw my camera was no longer on the edge of the water but in the middle of the water! Dang, I am going to have a hard time getting that out. A few minutes later I did not see the camera at all, so I jumped in the Ranger to see if it fell over or what. What I saw when I got down there shocked me. Just the tip of the antenna was sticking out of the water!
That's $100 camera, I am going in after it! OMG was that cold, in up to my waist and back out I was able to retrieve it.
This is a picture from the camera right before it was swallowed up by the water
Water was still pouring into the pond from two directions.
I am happy to report the camera still works! I could not believe the amount of water that was pouring in there. I did a quick calculation of how much water it would take to fill a 120'x120'x3'deep pond and the answer was 80,000 gallons! In a matter of minutes! Crazy.
Barb's new drain area, although not finished, worked awesome!
If you stuck with me this far you must be a loyal reader. I know I lost Harry after the first puppy video. The next few posts will no doubt include more dog pictures and videos, it will not be as many as today as I leave for the farm tomorrow and it will be up to Barb to take pictures. I know the other dogs don't have much for pictures in this post, but Dakota pretty much just sleeps all day and that does not make for exciting pictures, but I will leave you with this picture of our (cute?) little Zoey.
Just to give you an idea of how scary/amazing Ai is, here is the exact same picture....
The dogs certainly must be very entertaining. We recently had a very similar storm less the hail. It’s amazing how much water can be in the atmosphere.
After looking into it and contacting Facebook directly, it appears as though he when inappropriate pictures are sent the sender is blocked and deleted from our profile using a new automated detection system Facebook recently installed.
Adorable videos of Zoey and Maisie. I bet Zoey sleeps like a log when she gets away from her new sister. The second video with Zoey jumping and running the furniture was so funny. Thanks you for including sweet Dakota:) Now that's some water. We'd love to see just a portion of that rain here. Glad the pond is full again! Good luck at the farm!
Maisie is such a sweetheart! I love how quickly she’s bonded with Barb. Potty training sounds like it’s going well, and I had to smile at Zoey retreating to the couch for peace.
It's going to take time. While Barb catches most of the times and gets Maisie outside, I do not think it is connecting that she needs to ask to go outside.
Maisie is so cute and doing well it seems and is going to be Barbs dog it seems. That is some rain coming down as I watched the videos and heard a duck or some such thing in one of the videos. The drain is doing it's job though not finished. Well done. Take care and pleased your camera still works.
Aww I'm glad Zoey likes having a new play toy. Maisie is a cutie for sure. Most of those outdoor cameras ARE waterproof ... mostly anyway. You definitely had your share of water from that storm. Barb does great rock work by the way!!! I won't mention your tractor incident! LOL. Pet Dakota for me ... she needs lots of love too.
I've dealt with a lot of tires in my life and not a single one of them was in the shade of a nice tree on some grass near a lemonade stand. They are always in mudholes, on a 100 degree day along a gravel road during a drought, etc. Never fails.
Hello, I love all the dogs, photos and videos. The puppy is adorable. We use a crate any time we leave the house and at night. Cute captures of the deer and the turkey. I am glad your camera was still working. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.
Maisie is soooo very cute. I love how she has attached herself to Barb. That is a lot of rain in a short period. glad your game camera still works. Barb's new project looks so nice!! We need much rain here in Texas.. It's too hot to even want to swim.
Love all the baby pics and vids, such a good dad! Maisie is adorable and looks like she's in heaven after her clearly traumatic move :-)). Your camera picks up so many wonderful creatures. Has to feel good that they know they can find a drink at your place. That is a whole lot of water to get so quickly! Nice to know your systems are working. Unfortunately we don't really know until we get a good downpour. Barb's drains are not only pretty but they work :-)
One of the drains worked flawlessly and kept up with the downpour. The other one worked as it should, but did not keep up with the amount of rain. Nothing flooded, but it took longer to drain.
Loved all the videos! Maisie is too adorable. Love Barb's project, again a great job! The rain was amazing! Once a year maybe we'll get something like that here in NV. Ken and Shirley
Hi Jim…that storm looks like some of the monsoon storms that pass thru here. More strong winds and rain are expected today…yippee! The puppies are soooooo cute! I loved watching Zoey and Maisie play and bet they both crash for a good nap. The photo of all three pups needs a frame! I love all the puppies, but sweet Dakota sure pulls at my heart strings. That’s a sweet photo of Barb and Maisie sleeping!
We can well remember the puppy state of Graysie, our granddaughter's French bulldog and Maisie is just as cute, although the puppy training is a bit of a job. Barb's project seems to have the job with that heavy rain. Yikes! on almost losing the camera.
WOW...puppy has moves when it comes to sleeping! They can get into the funniest positions. Cats are funny to watch sleeping too. But then again, all animals are adorable while they snooze! Love the drainage area. I actually picked up four bags or egg rocks to finish up the dry creek I made. Unfortunately, I have to take yard work around here a little at a time when the heat makes its appearance. Nice job done.
You are certainly dog people. Too bad water can be such a problem, one way or t’other.
ReplyDeleteThat we are, I could not imagine not having one, or two or three. They bring so much joy to our lives.
DeleteIt’s crazy how AI even nails the shadows. Too bad it wasn’t around when we were putting the housewrap on upside-down.
ReplyDeleteI could go back an amend that post!
DeleteThe dogs certainly must be very entertaining. We recently had a very similar storm less the hail. It’s amazing how much water can be in the atmosphere.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely crazy, especially knowing we were just a small segment of the storm!
DeleteZoey has so much energy!
ReplyDeleteI'd say they spend 90% of their day walking around or sleeping and only 10% being wild. Thankfully!
DeleteThis is my favorite post ever! Well, not the water part, but the puppy parts are my favorite!
ReplyDeleteNice! Does it make you want to get another one?!?!?
DeleteMaisie is very cute but they all are. I've told my daughter that when Falcor dies, I don't plan on getting anymore dogs.
ReplyDeleteI could not imagine not having a dog, but if you were to ask us today we would probably answer the same as you.
DeleteI got an email from a mutual friend of ours. He said that you blacklisted him for some unknown reason.
ReplyDeleteAfter looking into it and contacting Facebook directly, it appears as though he when inappropriate pictures are sent the sender is blocked and deleted from our profile using a new automated detection system Facebook recently installed.
DeleteAdorable videos of Zoey and Maisie. I bet Zoey sleeps like a log when she gets away from her new sister. The second video with Zoey jumping and running the furniture was so funny. Thanks you for including sweet Dakota:) Now that's some water. We'd love to see just a portion of that rain here. Glad the pond is full again! Good luck at the farm!
ReplyDeleteThese girls sleep a lot and they sleep hard, at least Maisie does, I think she sleep over half of the day and most of the night.
DeleteAw, congrats!
ReplyDeleteThanks Debbie, miss you guys!
DeleteMaisie is such a sweetheart!
ReplyDeleteI love how quickly she’s bonded with Barb.
Potty training sounds like it’s going well, and I had to smile at Zoey retreating to the couch for peace.
It's going to take time. While Barb catches most of the times and gets Maisie outside, I do not think it is connecting that she needs to ask to go outside.
DeleteOh the videos are great. Zoey and Maisie will be best friends! Fun to see them play. Nice landscape work Barb! Boy that is a lot of rain!!
ReplyDeleteStill a work in progress, but I think you are right, they will be best friends soon enough!
DeleteMaisie is so cute and doing well it seems and is going to be Barbs dog it seems.
ReplyDeleteThat is some rain coming down as I watched the videos and heard a duck or some such thing in one of the videos. The drain is doing it's job though not finished. Well done. Take care and pleased your camera still works.
Definitely Barb's dog, but that is by design, she loves her dogs and they love her back!
DeleteAww I'm glad Zoey likes having a new play toy. Maisie is a cutie for sure. Most of those outdoor cameras ARE waterproof ... mostly anyway. You definitely had your share of water from that storm. Barb does great rock work by the way!!! I won't mention your tractor incident! LOL. Pet Dakota for me ... she needs lots of love too.
ReplyDeleteWe try to give Dakota extra loving, she is a lost soul, we try to give her the best life we can, but the struggle is real for her.
DeleteI've dealt with a lot of tires in my life and not a single one of them was in the shade of a nice tree on some grass near a lemonade stand. They are always in mudholes, on a 100 degree day along a gravel road during a drought, etc. Never fails.
ReplyDeleteI tell you what, if there was a lemonade stand anywhere in that forest they would have made some money off of me!
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI love all the dogs, photos and videos. The puppy is adorable.
We use a crate any time we leave the house and at night.
Cute captures of the deer and the turkey.
I am glad your camera was still working.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.
I think that is a smart way to go with many dogs. We had to actually take away Dakota's crate, she was so "safe" in there, she rarely wanted to leave.
DeleteMaisie is soooo very cute. I love how she has attached herself to Barb. That is a lot of rain in a short period. glad your game camera still works. Barb's new project looks so nice!! We need much rain here in Texas.. It's too hot to even want to swim.
ReplyDeleteWhile it was enough rain to fill our pond, it was not nearly enough to alleviate our drought situation. We need much more!
DeleteSorry.. that was me (Shug) with the anonymous comment. I forgot to log in
ReplyDeleteThat happens to me when I comment using my phone. Not every time, so I often do not catch it and post anonymously.
DeleteLove all the baby pics and vids, such a good dad! Maisie is adorable and looks like she's in heaven after her clearly traumatic move :-)). Your camera picks up so many wonderful creatures. Has to feel good that they know they can find a drink at your place. That is a whole lot of water to get so quickly! Nice to know your systems are working. Unfortunately we don't really know until we get a good downpour. Barb's drains are not only pretty but they work :-)
ReplyDeleteOne of the drains worked flawlessly and kept up with the downpour. The other one worked as it should, but did not keep up with the amount of rain. Nothing flooded, but it took longer to drain.
DeleteLoved all the videos! Maisie is too adorable. Love Barb's project, again a great job! The rain was amazing! Once a year maybe we'll get something like that here in NV. Ken and Shirley
ReplyDeleteI thought you guys got rains like that once or twice a year?
DeleteBeautiful videos of the dogs and the webcam. Have a nice week
ReplyDeleteOne could overload the blog with videos as much as these two play!
DeleteHi Jim…that storm looks like some of the monsoon storms that pass thru here. More strong winds and rain are expected today…yippee! The puppies are soooooo cute! I loved watching Zoey and Maisie play and bet they both crash for a good nap. The photo of all three pups needs a frame! I love all the puppies, but sweet Dakota sure pulls at my heart strings. That’s a sweet photo of Barb and Maisie sleeping!
ReplyDeleteDakota is a sweetheart, some days she seems interested with the puppy, other days annoyed.
DeleteWe can well remember the puppy state of Graysie, our granddaughter's French bulldog and Maisie is just as cute, although the puppy training is a bit of a job. Barb's project seems to have the job with that heavy rain. Yikes! on almost losing the camera.
ReplyDeleteI don't think anyone has ever said they are the smartest dogs in the world, but she is coming along with the training.
DeleteAhhh! I have been waiting for these videos and wondering how the new family member is getting along. You made my day!
ReplyDeleteAI is so creepy.
I am glad that I could make your day! I missed your post this week, I will have to go see if I can find it.
DeleteMaisie has arrived at her new home! Hooray! I can tell she is already adored and adoring. I loved the videos!
ReplyDeleteThe two-legged creatures definitely adore her, I am not sure about the four-legged ones, however.
DeleteYou have such adventures. I cannot imagine the work you do.
ReplyDeleteThis week I cannot either, my body is so sore!
DeleteYou have been busy.. your busy no way compares to my busy. Dang.
ReplyDeleteSadly, my body is wired in such a way that if I do not have an agenda of things to do each day, I go stir crazy!
DeleteWOW...puppy has moves when it comes to sleeping! They can get into the funniest positions. Cats are funny to watch sleeping too. But then again, all animals are adorable while they snooze! Love the drainage area. I actually picked up four bags or egg rocks to finish up the dry creek I made. Unfortunately, I have to take yard work around here a little at a time when the heat makes its appearance. Nice job done.
ReplyDeleteThe heat has been killer lately. Yours even more so with the humidity you have over there!
DeleteAdorable!! So cute and fun to watch when they get frisky (second video).
ReplyDeleteDon't you wish you had that kind of energy? Or the ability to fall asleep immediately after?
DeleteThese photos and clips made me smile and made me feel happy
ReplyDeletePuppies will have the effect on people for sure!
DeleteLove the dogs. 70 mph winds can be very damaging. Whew, those storm clouds are something. I love a stormy, cloudy day.
ReplyDeleteStormy, cloudy days are the best when you have nothing going on and you can stay inside all day without feeling guilty.
DeleteWow on the weather and wow on the pups. Sorry about your camera.
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not, the camera survived! I dried it out and it is working like nothing ever happened.
DeleteThat’s one crazy storm! So much runoff!
ReplyDelete