Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Finally Back Home!

Here are a few facts that you might be interested in when it comes to hunting in North Dakota. A North Dakota non-resident waterfowl license costs $149. You get to hunt two-seven-day periods and are allowed to shoot 6 birds each day. But not just any ducks. You are limited to certain species and within that species you are often having to identify males and females. 

 The regulations read like this:

The daily bag limit on ducks (including mergansers) is 6 with species and sex restrictions as follows: 5 mallards of which only 2 may be hens, 3 wood ducks, 2 redheads, 2 canvasbacks, 1 scaup, 1 pintail. Note: An additional 2 blue-winged teal may be taken September 23 through October 8 only. The possession limit on these restricted ducks is three times the daily limit.

So, you have to know how to identify birds on the fly, many times as they are flying by at 40-60mph.

Friday was the last day of my seven-day period. It found me standing by myself on the edge of a slough. Bob was standing at another slough with his friend Warren who had arrived from Minnesota the day before. 

It was cold! 30F with 30 mph winds. The birds were flying fast in that wind, but we managed to drop a few despite the fact that I could not feel my fingers. 

Can you tell which way the wind blows here?

We had a great shoot, filling out the rest of my possession limit to take home. 

Me, Ember and Warren. Can you tell it is a bit chilly?

As many of you know, birds have very unique and complex coloring on their feathers. Here are a couple of close ups of a Gadwall. Just look at the intricate detail nature created.
We returned to the shop to find the cat had taken up residence in a tote on a wool hunting jacket. So cozy!

That night, Chris's friend Seth came over for pizza and poker. Oh man, what a night. We finally shut down the night at 2am knowing we had to get up in a few hours for the pheasant opener. 
Here is a picture that Holly took. I forget what is going on here. Seth was either smelling me, or itching his nose, I forget. 
We played Texas Hold'em with a $5 buy in. Once you lost all your chips, you could quit or buy back in for another $5. The caveat being that you had to take a shot of Fireball to buy back in. I bought back in 4 times, Warren and Bob 5-6 times each. Chris and Seth did not buy back in at all. Seth ended up being the big winner taking home $80. 
The next morning came way too soon! We were all pretty quiet, working out our grogginess during our first field but after an hour we were all awake and ready to walk the rest of the day. By the way, a pheasant is not covered in your waterfowl license. They require another $100 license giving you two seven-day periods to hunt them. The limit is 3 birds per hunter per day, roosters only.
Young Gavin joined us proclaiming he was going to hunt with us all day! By the end of the second field, he was ready to go home. Although it was in the 30's the dogs worked hard and took breaks whenever they found a water hole or mud puddle. 
Ember taking a break as Gavin and Bob look on.
We ended up with 11 pheasants and 3 Hungarian partridge on Saturday.  I swear, pheasants are the most beautiful birds in the world. 
We had enough for 4 pheasants each, enough to keep us fed for a while. So, with my freezer full of birds, I decided to head home a day early. I sent Barb this picture as I passed through Douglas. 
I knew she would recognize two things in this picture. The elevator in Douglas and the hedgehog on our dash. That little guy has ridden from coast to coast for over 10 years in two different trucks. I did not hit the road until after 2:00pm, meaning I would not get home until 10:00pm or so. I listened to the Vikings lose and the Twins win as I headed south. This guy kept following me most of the day until he faded away as the sun set. 
After driving for a few hours, I officially declared an accident/getting stuck/breaking something free visit to the farm! It is a rare event and does need celebrating! I did have two incidents; one leaving the auger open and on while carting resulting in me shooting 60-100 bushels of wheat on the ground (we were able to salvage most of it) and I overfilled a grain bin. Luckily that only resulted in a broken shear bolt and no spilled grain. Although avoidable, both were relatively minor inconveniences rather than major incidents. That said, there, is always the possibility that I will be blamed for something after I am long gone!

The same cannot be said for Farmer Bob who sent this to me just two days after I arrived home. 
Apparently, this is what happens when you hay ditches that are a little steeper than initially thought! I am sure somehow this was my fault, even though I was hundreds of miles away. 

Once I got home, Barb and I talked for a bit, but I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep. So good to sleep in my own bed! When I awoke the next morning, Barb was excited to show me her purchases and projects. That's what she does when I leave, work on things and buy something for the house. 

Her main project for the past few weeks was filling the woodshed for the winter. Cutting down trees, cutting them into fireplace sized pieces, splitting them and stacking them in the woodshed. At first glance, that might not seem like a lot of wood, but when you consider that it is 5 rows deep, that is a lot of wood! Did I marry a good woman or what?!?!
She also bought two wardrobe cabinets for the loft in the garage. Up until now, we kept all of our seasonal clothes in totes which worked fine but you always had to search through multiple totes to find what you are looking for. Now she has everything organized in the wardrobe cabinets! These things weighed over 75lbs each, so she had to take each piece out of the box and bring it up the loft stairs before she put them together. Did I marry a good woman or what!?!?
Next up was the garage. I have a shelving until that is kind of a catch-all for tools and nuts, bolts and screws. She went through and organized the whole thing separating the nuts, bolts and screws into separate containers. 

Then she took me up into the loft in the house where she showed me all the auction items we won. I knew about these but had not seen them yet. My next project is to build a bookcase in our bedroom, and I wanted to fill it with some good books. Well, she found an online auction with lots them! One of my favorite outdoor author is Gene Hill. Whenever we go to an antique store, we always look for his books. They are very hard to find and if you do, they are $20 or more. This auction had 10 of them in one lot! I did not care how much she had to pay, I wanted them! As far as I can tell, that is all the outdoor books he wrote. She had to fight for them, and they went for more than any other book lots, but they are now ours! She ended up winning them for $12.50 each.
The next book I wanted was Hunting Trips on the Prairie by Theodore Roosevelt. This book was published in 1885 and is in great shape. Online, it goes anywhere from $100-$300, she got this one for $70. Some might call me crazy, but I wanted this book!

I started reading it already. I have to program my mind to read late 1800's writing. Very different from the writing of today. Here is the first page just to give you an idea how things were written back in the day....

She also won two decoys, adding to our collection. We like the old working decoys, not the prettiest but they have a lot of history and character. They are the goose and canvasback on the right side. 
Last but not least is the gazebo. She installed lights around the outside, installed fencing to keep Zoey in, and bought two very cool liquor storage units made from old whiskey barrel and refinished an old Buffalo Trace whiskey barrel top into a wall hanging. They are the perfect addition to the gazebo. She also got Dakota a raised bed for when she is out there, so she does not have to lay directly on the concrete. Did I marry a good woman or what!?!?

There were also fall decorations scattered around the house, this one was my favorite....
It is so good to be home. The first order of business was to clean the camper. I apologized to Barb before she even set foot into it. My intension was to clean it before I came home, but leaving a day early changed that. She set foot into the camper and immediately started opening windows saying it smelled like a man has been living in it for the past 6 weeks. Funny, I did not smell anything. 

A few hours later, it was clean with a candle burning in it, I am sure she will give it a deep cleaning before our next adventure. 

In the meantime, I was not even home an hour before Zoey found her spot on my legs as I sit on the couch. I think I will just sit here for a few days, relax, soak in the scenery and just enjoy being home. Life is good!

63 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on hunting regulations. It sounds complicated if you want mallards and the first two are hens. Would you be sure to identify them before taking your next shot? I already see problems. Congrats on your success to bring home enough birds for the freezer. Barb sure was also busy and those gazebo items look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immature or molting drake mallards are hard to tell apart from hens in flight. Mature mallards are very easy to tell. Unless you are shooting in low light. What is really hard are the pintails. They can be hard to distinguish in low light or when moving fast. We try to shoot only males, but it does not always work out that way.

      Delete
  2. Yes, you did marry a really good woman! ;)
    Enjoy being home and getting some rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are already back into our old routine. The dogs are happy, Barb is happy, I am happy....

      Delete
  3. Good job on the hunt...Better job on the schmoozing towards Barb. No pics of the Dogs going wild when you arrived??? When I get home Indy squeals and screeches and jumps up and down...and that is when I have only been gone to the store for an hour or so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe that they both growled at me when I came home? Zoey was scared of me for the first 5 minutes, approaching me cautiously and smelling me all over. I don't know what was going through her mind!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great time and a successful hunt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great getting out with my friends and enjoying the outdoors.

      Delete
  5. I don't think my eyes are good enough to distinguish the sex of different birds in flight even if I knew what they were. Do they have different flight patterns? I read my husband the part where you said you couldn't smell anything in your camper. He can never smell what I can either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divers and dabblers fly, take off and land differently. But within those categories, they fly pretty much the same. The identifiers in flight are often the head coloring and the coloring on their wings.

      Delete
  6. Welcome home! Wow! Barb is awesome! I love the stuff she got for the gazebo :) Perfect! Ken's not much of a reader, but even he said that Theodore Roosevelt book was awesome! She may spend while you're gone, but all good expenditures for sure! Enjoy being home until your next adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too love the addition to the gazebo. Looks like the perfect place to start our own Champagne Sunday tradition!

      Delete
  7. Welcome back! You said you were exhausted by the trip but I think Barb could (or should) have you beat with all that wood stacking and chopping. That's impressive. Three cheers, Barb -- you're one tough woman! I'm glad you found some pretty things too! I confess, I always hate duck hunting season because I'm very fond of my lake ducks that come by daily and I always worry about their safety when I hear shots on the lake. But I'm a proponent of kill to eat and it looks like you have many meals ahead of you. I didn't know about the mechanics of male/female/certain types. That was interesting to me. Thanks for your visits to Marmelade Gypsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your view on duck hunting and hope your ducks make it south and back to you again in the spring! And yes, Barb does have me beat with all that woodcutting. Very impressive!

      Delete
  8. Yes it's always nice to get back home. Great shooting to get your limit. Wow Barbie is a workhorse. Everything looks fabulous. Way to go Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to be home! So thankful to have a strong self-sufficient wife who supports my hobbies!

      Delete
  9. So impressive to be able to id those birds on the fly. I have a job to do that when I see them on the water in front of me. Glad you are home again safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most are fairly easy, some of the harder ones are hen redheads and scaup as they are both rather drab and look alike when flying at 40mph. The males of most species are pretty easy to tell from their coloring.

      Delete
    2. I bet you could put me to shame when it comes to identifying shorebirds in flight or on the ground!

      Delete
  10. Wow--you did marry a good woman! Cutting trees?? Splitting wood??--I'm in awe!! I have run the chain saw but to cut down a tree--nope! Glad you are home and I bet Barb and the pooches are glad too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said most of the trees went down without a problem. She said a couple were "Cut and run" situations as the tree fell and she has another tree that got hung up on another tree as it was coming down. She left that one for us to both tackle later.

      Delete
  11. What a way to end a workation! I couldn’t imagine trying to identify all those birds on the fly. Is there anything Barb can’t do…what a woman! Those books look like a great read. Glad you made it home safely. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for to a snowy winter afternoon, fire going in the fireplace and reading one of my new books!

      Delete
  12. Oh yeah ... Barb has been having LOTS of fun with you being gone!! There's nothing better than winning an auction and buying cool stuff!!! As for the wood pile .. yup you are a very lucky guy!! I never knew the hunting restrictions were so STRICT. Good grief ... I know they want to preserve the birds, but wow!! I agree, pheasants are the most gorgeous of critters ... until you have to raise them. They are mean mean mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've raised both pheasant and chickens back in the day. I don't know which was meaner. Both will kill and eat their own young.
      We put blinders on our pheasants to prevent that but they still tried!

      Delete
  13. What. Some people have accused me of being able to see into the future. Although sometimes I am wrong in my predictions which is rare, most times I am right. As far as I can tell for you my friend is this. First off, I won't charge you for this advice this time. Second. Now that your house is done, I can see that you need to start a huge addition for the "stuff" you are accumulating. You being from Wisconsin, have you ever been to "The House on the Rock". That place is enormous. And that was just one man's collection. One thing going for you though is this. You are in the Blackhills. They always love those kinds of attractions there. Glad you are home and love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am speechless, not knowing how to reply to this. Isn't that what one does after selling all their worldly possession, start over?!?

      Delete
  14. All I kept thinking while I read this was how much Barb got done while you weren’t in her way 😉

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crazy regulation. I always wondered how you could tell which bird is which under pressure. The house looks great. Love the way the book is written. And YES, you have a fantastic wife!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still having a hard time reading that book but my mind is starting to follow it better.

      Delete
  16. You really did marry a great woman!! She deserves all the recognition and more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a very impressive woodpile! Barb has been very busy while you were away. Adult male mallards are easy to identify in good light, but apart from that I would have a big problem! Thankfully shooting on our own land there aren't the same restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drake Mallards are probably my favorite duck. Even though they are the most common, there is just something about them that make them special.

      Delete
  18. I am totally impressed with all of Barb’s skills…I have hauled and stacked bunches of fire logs in my day, but never would I use a saw. I’m loving your gazebo! And great finds on the books and decoys…

    The feathers are gorgeous…thank you for the close ups. And the photo of you and Zoey is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found those close ups as interesting as I do. Zoey is my little couch buddy, that's for sure!

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. I am truly blessed. It takes a special woman to love that type of work!

      Delete
  20. What a great book! Barb sure is lucky to have you, as you do such a great job of buttering her…errr…I mean…recognizing how wonderful she is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I tell her all the time how lucky she is but she just laughs at me!

      Delete
  21. Stacking all that wood is hard work, never mind cutting and splitting it. And that looks a fair amount of wood too. We've switched over to buying biobricks-sawdust bricks. They don't burn as long as wood, but for us it's easier storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would burn most of not all of that if we were around all season so it is nice having it even if we don't burn it all this year.

      Delete
  22. Looks as if you all had a good time.
    We have strict rules for duck hunting in the duck season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are pretty used to all the rules, so they do not bother us too much.

      Delete
  23. All those pheasant make my mouth water!! LOL at the tipped trailer being your fault from afar. Yes you definitely married a great woman - Barb got so much done in your absence!! That's an impressive stack of wood :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not cooked up any pheasant yet, I am looking for the perfect recipe to try!

      Delete
  24. Hello :=)
    Your trip seemed as though you enjoyed every minute, and it is exciting to go shooting for many people, but I'm a bit of a softy when it comes to shooting animals, but can appreciate your enthusiasm for it.

    My husband went hunting, like his father before him for many years. I well remember my father-in- law hanging pheasants, partridge, hares, and rabbits outside, until they were ready to eat. The partridge had to smell high before it was eaten. My husband went to Spain on hunting trips to shoot mainly deer and boar, and started to prepare all the stuff he had to take with him weeks before.

    I love your collection of wooden ducks, and the books you won at auction Barb have lovely covers, hunting dogs are beautiful to look at and very intelligent and I'm sure Jim will enjoy them.

    Thank you for your visit,it was a nice surprise.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read and heard about people letting their game hang in European countries saying that it adds to the flavor. I just cannot do it. I clean mine as soon as possible and get them in the freezer. Perhaps if I tried one from someone that knows what they are doing.

      Delete
  25. It is the season to stack wood.Mine is done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, Barb was a busy lady! Those were all worthy endeavors and those wood shed results sure saved you a lot of work and will keep you toasty this winter. I know you worked hard on the farm and I'm glad you got some good hunting in before you left. Bonus having something tasty to reward Barb with when you got home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not looking forward to cutting and splitting wood when I got home so I was beyond thrilled to see that full woodshed!

      Delete
  27. ooooooh man, you did marry a good woman!! i think i like barb better now, (hehehehehe) she sure did "man up" while you were gone. how in the world does she do what she does??? i did decorate my yard and house for fall!! i do not really want to talk about the ducks and so on that you killed, i just can't get on board with that!! and wood ducks, really...how could you kill a wood duck?? BUT, you seem like a super nice, fun guy, so i will give you a pass!! i'm happy for you, and barb that you are home!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I would call her while I was gone and asked her what she did today, she would just say "blue jobs" meaning she was doing things I should have been doing had I been home.

      I know you and several others want nothing to do with hunting, but I do appreciate you giving me a pass!

      Delete
  28. Always impressed with how hard you and Barb work, and especially what Barb did when you were away. An amazing lady for sure. Those pheasant feathers are beautiful! I feel the great sense of camaraderie on this hunting trip when looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only time of the year that Bob S and I get to hang out anymore. We used to see each other every day in high school, then after getting married and careers, it became less and less. I know I for one really look forward to sharing a duck blind with him.

      Delete
  29. Hello,
    Sounds like you had a successful hunt. Barb worked hard during your trip. Cutting and stacking all that wood, looks like a very hard job to me. My arms are hurting just thinking about stacking wood. Nice collection of books. I enjoy seeing your furbabies, the dogs and the cat. Take care, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a hard worker indeed. It is a blessing and a curse as she has a hard time just sitting down and relaxing. On the plus side, the house is always clean and we have a full woodshed!

      Delete
  30. Wow that is a lot of rules. I've had duck but never pheasant.. does it taste different?
    There is just something about sleeping in your own bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pheasant and duck taste a lot different. Pheasant is more of a white meat, while duck is dark

      Delete