Friday, October 6, 2023

Finishing Harvest and Moving onto Fun!

 Cool, wet and foggy. Just the way it should be while hunting waterfowl in North Dakota. Each morning I awoke well before sunrise in eager anticipation of what the day might bring. I silently thank the Lord for gracing me with yet another season as I sit in the slough waiting for the sun to hit the horizon and the ducks to fly overhead on the first day of the season. 

I did not grow up in a hunting family. Well, my dad did go pheasant hunting once a year down in Iowa taking my sister Becky and brother Bob with him. I do not know how old I was when I was finally allowed to go, but I still remember those trips like it was yesterday. I had a great-aunt who lived outside of Buffalo Center, Iowa who we would go and visit. Aunt Effie. What I remember about her the most was her ill-fitting wigs and her TV.  I feel like she had the Lawrence Welk show on 24/7. I remember driving around with my dad looking for pheasants. I remember a motel in Forest City, Iowa we used to stay at, and I remember a nameless restaurant that had the best burgers in the world. I looked forward to that trip every year. Soon, my sister went to college, my brother too and it was just dad and me. Then Effie died and we never went back. But that was the beginning of the hunting bug for me. 

Opening morning

It was not until high school when Bob S and I met that I really got into duck hunting. Now 43 years later, I cannot remember a duck season that we have not hunted together. I am sure there is one, but I cannot think of it. This year was no different as we awaited sunrise a few yards apart along with Bob's lab Ember.  As the sun rose the ducks flew. We missed some easy shots, made some difficult ones but overall, just enjoyed being out, watching the birds, watching Ember doing what she was bred to do. Retrieve birds.  

Each morning and each evening we went out to see the sun rise and set. It did not matter how many birds we got; what matters is that we were out there. Most of our hunts were on sloughs or lakes. 

One morning we hunted in a harvested wheat field. You have to drive out well before sunrise to set up the decoys and blind by the lights of the truck. 

That is our blind in the upper right corner
Another foggy morning
A Pintail and a Redhead

On another hunt, Bob and I brought three-legged stools to sit on. Shooting from a sitting position is typically not a problem but on one occasion a bird was flying directly overhead as we both shot at it. After we were done shooting, the duck continued on its merry way, and I looked over at Bob who was on his back in the mud. Apparently, you should not lean back while shooting overhead on a three-legged stool!

On yet another hunt we were setting out decoys, the water was a little deeper than anticipated and we did not bring our waders. No fear, Bob just took off his pants and waded right in!

But the real star of the week was Ember. Watching the joy in her eyes and actions is worth getting up early and sitting in the wetness. She would often see the birds before us as her eyes follow them across the sky. On a couple of occasions, I swear she was looking at us in disgust when we missed an easy shot. 

The week was not all hunting however, we still had crops to get in! We got back into the field on Friday finishing the one field we were on. Then we moved to another field later on Friday and half the day Saturday after our morning hunt. 

Finally, back in my chariot!

Holly was nice enough to bring us supper a couple of days. Everything tastes good when you are out in the field, but her homemade pizza is to die for!

The moon was absolutely huge last week. I took a picture of this harvest moon from the tractor while actually harvesting!

Sunday afternoon found us finishing the last of the soybeans, getting done just as the sun was setting. The 2023 harvest is a wrap!

Here are a couple of pictures I took in the shop. This picture gives you an idea of how big the sprayer is. I think you could drive DeAnne's bug right under it!

Speaking of DeAnne, she and her sister Peggy stopped by and spent the night with Barb on their way back from Denver. No one got any pictures however. 

This next shot is of Farmer Bob's newest toy that he picked up on Wednesday. A 1931 Ford Model A Roadster! This little beauty is going to be his new parade vehicle. 

Nellie is continuing to improve. She can walk on her own but is still confined to her crate when she is not outside going to the bathroom. 
Back home in South Dakota, Kevin is not fairing as well. Last Saturday he and Barb were going on a trail ride organized by our friends Elizabeth and Alan. Kevin was to ride his horse Waylon while Barb was riding his other horse, Willie. Just as everyone was getting ready to head off on the ride, Waylon decided to pitch a fit, throwing Kevin. When Barb secured the horses and went to him, it was apparent that he had taken a pretty hard hit on his head. Those that know him may not be concerned as he is very hardheaded. But not as hard as we thought, he did not know where he was or how he got there. Barb would tell him, but he would immediately ask again and again. 

Since they were at a remote location, Barb played ambulance driver and got him to the ER in Custer where they performed x-rays and a CT scan. They were able to answer a question that many of us have wondered. Kevin does indeed have a brain. Barb says she thinks he may have had a brain transplant at some point as she heard the nurse mention something about having an Abby Normal brain, whoever she is. 
Poor Kevin
They released him a few hours later and Barb stayed with him until Cheryl drove 8 hours from Minnesota to take over nurse duties. Now, 6 days later, he is still recovering. Better, but not entirely recovered. He still has headaches, nausea and his body feeling like it was, well, bucked off a horse. 

Barb has been busy with other projects as well. She has been looking for a picture or wall covering to cover a service panel in the laundry room. She could not find anything the right size that she liked, so what did she do? She made something! 
Using some scrap wood and different color stains she made a cover that is not only the perfect size, but it also looks great. She has been up to a few other projects, but this is the only one she will share with me. Makes me more than a little nervous wondering what else she has been up to. 

I will find out in 4 days, as after 6 weeks of hard labor at Pen-Finken I am finally getting released to go home! But first, tomorrow is the opener of pheasant season. I hope to add a few of these tasty birds to our stories to help us through the winter!

62 comments:

  1. I hope Kevin recovers quickly. It sounds like such an awful fall. One would not think to wear a helmet on a horse.

    Barb did a great job on the panel cover! Is there anything she can’t do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, grouting. She attempted to grout the stone and she said she got more on herself than the stone!

      Delete
  2. Glad to read Nellie is improving! And so sorry to hear about the horse wreck--may your friend improve quickly! I bet you are ready to head home and be with Barb and your pooches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beyond ready. The older I get, the harder it is to leave for any length of time.

      Delete
  3. Poor Kevin, those head injuries are really rough and the symptoms can linger for a long time. Glad you'll be on home release soon, and good luck scoring a few more birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing that once I get home I will have to wear an ankle bracelet that will shock me if I try to leave the property!

      Delete
  4. What a great mix of hunting, work and beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Watching a good dog work and love what they're doing is a wonderful bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I could have brought Dakota. She loves duck hunting. She would been miserable the weeks leading up to it however.

      Delete
  5. It's never good when we get bucked off. We don't bounce as well as we once did. Sending lots of good thoughts to Kevin. As to bird hunting, there's nothing like watching a bird dog retrieve. My sweet girl Caitlan never got enough of jumping into that freezing water to bring back dinner. Good thoughts go out to Nellie also. She's a tough cookie. I suggest you not check your bank account until you've been home for a week and appreciated all of Barb's hard work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does seem to go on a spending spree when I leave for a long length of time.
      This is the first time Kevin has not bounced right back up. I think time is catching up to him!

      Delete
  6. That entry brought back memories of my childhood in SE Washington State pheasant hunting with my Dad. I was about 5, walking behind him up and down the cut corn rows. I loved watching our brittany working. What a great life you are living. All the best to your injured friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you remember something from back when you were that young. I bet those corn stalks were twice the size of you and only heard your dad shoot when a pheasant got up.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful sunrises and moon...well captured

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, most of the pictures were just with my phone. The moon picture were with my goo camera.

      Delete
  8. I’ve never had the opportunity to go duck hunting…sure sounds like fun! Farmer Bob’s new wheels looks like a sweet ride. Hope Kevin has a full recovery. Great job on your panel art Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you have some great sea duck hunting out your way. Totally different species, that would be fun!

      Delete
  9. Hope Kevin recovers quickly, that really sucked. Barb's door looks wonderful, hope you have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a really great job on that, it fits perfectly with the room.

      Delete
  10. Best wishes to Kevin on a speedy recovery, and happy to hear Nellie is getting better. Poor thing must be ready to jump out of her skin while stuck in a crate all day, but there is no other way to handle these injuries. Ugh. If only they could understand it's all for their own good. Beautiful photos of the moon and love Barb's one-of-a kind wall decoration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing Kevin, he will push himself and not rest enough.
      Nellie is whining a lot in her crate but at least she is not trying to jump out.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous photos of your early morning duck shoots. I love the photos of Ember and so happy to red Nellie is doing well. Barb’s beautiful art project is perfect and so creative. Looking forward to seeing her other projects when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ember is only a couple years old but we are very impressed with her development. You can just see the excitement in her face.

      Delete
  12. I sure can feel for the dog. There have been many times I was with you doing all of the work, like the dog, while you sat on your butt drinking beer. I hope Kevin finds my hints helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike you, Kevin is not allergic to work, but if he could read, I am sure he'd find your tips helpful.

      Delete
  13. Glad the pup and Keven are doing better. Poor Kevin. So scary. I love your hunting stories as they remind me of my Dad. Barb did a great job on the wall art. I hope you get some pheasants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw a lot of pheasants while harvesting. I just hope they are still there tomorrow!

      Delete
  14. So sorry for Kevin!! I hope he is back to feeling himself soon.
    That yellow Model A is gorgeous! He'd certainly want to show that off in a parade!
    Barb is so creative. That is a striking piece of work she made.
    Soon you'll be home again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super muddy right now, otherwise we'd go for a ride in that A!

      Delete
  15. I am not a hunter, but my father would have loved to go bird hunting with you. Just like you, the best part of hunting was being outdoors (and the fact that he was securing food for us for the winter.)>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb is not a huge duck fan, but she will eat it once in a while. I could have it as a meal a couple times a month!

      Delete
  16. So does Kevin have a concussion? What happened to Nellie? Ember is beautiful, what is her breed? the Model A is awesome, I have never seen one like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they said he definitely had a concussion and will need some time to recover. Nellie got hit by a car and broke her pelvis, you can read about it in the post previous to this one. Ember is a Fox Red Lab, she is such a beautiful girl!

      Delete
  17. When you uttered the words, "when we missed an easy shot", right away I KNEW that if Barb was there, them ducks would be dead! lol I was not into hunting, mom and dad did not approve of it. But I did go hunting 'squirrels' in the outskirts of Sacramento (now full of homes, of course) with my cousin and two of his hunting buddies. I thought I saw a rabbit moving out in the brush as we walked along a seldom used railroad tracks. They gave me the 22 to shoot in that direction to see if it would move along...it did except it was a Pheasant, which would have been around a $250 fine had I been caught. Later as we were walking the tracks, me behind the three of them, I see a squirrel jump out on the tracks behind us and told them. Before I knew it two shotguns go off, one on each side of my head. They missed the little guy, but my ears were ringing for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories like that last a lifetime. I am glad you survived that ordeal, it sounds like it could have ended tragically!

      Delete
  18. You mentioned some things in this post that really spoke to me.First of all, those moon shots are fantastic. You really captured the giant moon. Also, I had an aunt who used to love the Lawrence Welk show. Why did I not like that show? And finally Ember and the ducks. We don't duck hunt but our Maddie is the same way about fishing. And she loves to watch the fish in the wet well. She is so serious about fishing. Interesting post. Have a gerat weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a golden that loved fishing. She would stand on the dock and just stare into the water and jump at fish that swam by. She once brought us a live bass. We had no idea how she caught it.

      Delete
  19. So sorry to hear about Kevin. Sure hope he makes a full recovery. Love Barb's project for covering the panel. Looks perfect. I'm sure you are very anxious to get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so anxious to get home I am even considering skipping the pheasant opener and that is saying a lot!

      Delete
  20. That’s too bad about Kevin! Hope it doesn’t have long term effects. Love, love, love the Model A! Pride of the Ford Rouge plant, a stone’s throw from where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Bob was showing it to me for the first time, I thought of you. I knew you would like this car!

      Delete
  21. My ex-husband was a bird hunter here in New England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what the main birds are they hunting in New England. I feel like it would be grouse.

      Delete
  22. Wishing Kevin a full recovery. Hopefully your hunting trip was successful and you got some birds for the upcoming holidays in the freezer. Barb sure has talent and good taste! The Model A is a cutie and I guess a reward for a good growing season. Hope you got home safely and now recover from all that work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so looking forward to our couch, football on TV and a fire in the fireplace, and just relaxing for a few days!

      Delete
  23. I really enjoyed this post.

    Growing up in Florida, my Dad was an avid fisherman. I hunted a bit in high school with a friend who taught me the difference between a Bob White and a Meadowlark. Much to the Meadowlarks' detriment, I was a slow learner.

    Whether hunting, fishing, photographing, exploring - you summed it up very nicely when you wrote "... what matters is that we were out there ...".

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have any bob white up our way. The closest thing we have are Hungarian Partridge. Speedy little buggers!

      Delete
  24. best for Kevin to have a full and speedy recovery. Bob certainly has a beautiful new parade vehicle to show off!
    Duck hinting looks a bit muddy and cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is almost always muddy, many times cold. The last morning was the coldest, in the mid 30's with a 30mph wind. My fingers and toes did not appreciate the abuse!

      Delete
  25. I don't hunt, but we have ducks on the pond on the farm and others hunt them. I like to go sit and watch them swim around, but I haven't been down there in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb said there was ducks in our pond back home the other day. They are safe there as we like watching them as well.

      Delete
  26. That sounds like a nasty fall Kevin took. I hope he is recovering well. Concussion can be scary. Barb’s framework is impressive. Good to know that Nellie is recovering well. Very interesting memories you shared about your family, and your hunting experiences. The 3-legged stool incident gave me a chuckle. Where my sister-in-law lives, she sees blinds on the water for the duck hunters and hears the guns going off every morning. I didn’t come from a family of hunters but we had one friend who hunted rabbits and when they invited us to dinner, we always ate what he fished and hunted. Potted mackerel and hare are two I remembered. Eating dinner at their house was always an adventure. Loved those old classics too. Great photos, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great memories you have. I have served wild game to visitors but I don't think I've ever served it to a non-hunter. I would be too afraid they would not like it!

      Delete
  27. Sorry to hear about Kevin.. hope he makes a swift recovery.
    That moon is incredible.
    Those are some lovely memories to have of your aunt and your early hunting days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a picture of aunt Effie around somewhere, I should look for it.

      Delete
  28. Goodness, falling off a horse is done often, just ask me :) do hope Kevin is doing ok.
    Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw him yesterday. He said the headaches are down to a "1" level but his back is still out of whack and his body hurts.

      Delete
  29. How scary for Kevin! I hope he recovers quickly, poor guy. That is good news about Nellie, though. And I can just imagine how good it must feel to have the harvest finished! Loved the duck-hunting photos, just beautiful. And tbat moon, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not remember ever seeing a moon like that. It looked like it was right on the horizon and much closer to the earth than ever before!

      Delete
  30. Reading a new blog always is a little like walking into the middle of a meeting or party; it takes time to sort out peoples' names, or know what's being discussed. That said, this was the first entry I read, and it took me straight back to my Iowa years. I was raised in Newton, and believe it or not, had an Aunt Effie who lived in Boone. Her husband, my Uncle Bob, was one of those my dad spent time pheasant hunting with. As a matter of fact, I still have an entirely ratty pheasant tail feather from those years -- probably c. 1955. Some treasures are worth preserving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are the odds we both had an aunt Effie?!? I thought maybe for a second we were related but her husband's name was Frank.
      Glad I could bring back some memories for you!

      Delete
  31. Thank you for the link to this post. I see I had already commented but it's been so long that I didn't remember it or that roadster. Such a beaut! He would look very fine in the parade. We used to attend the horse festival every now and again with the family in ND. Always fun, and fun to revisit blog posts such as this one. How's Kevin doing these days? Sure hope he recovered and is back to being 100 percent after that awful fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took Kevin a good month before we was back to what we call normal. It's pretty subjective as he has always been a little goofy in the head.

      Delete