Sunday, March 17, 2024

Here we go Again!

Here we go again, just when we thought we were going to take it easy for a few weeks we come up with another project. Just a little project, nothing too big or time consuming. Just a 24x48 garage to put our junk in. 

To think, just a few years ago, all our worldly possessions fit in a 40' 5th wheel. Now we have a house garage and shed that seem to be bursting at the seams. It's really Kevin's fault. We had been thinking about a garage in a few years and I mentioned it to him. He then said he was remodeling a garage that required different trusses and we could have the old ones. That is how this mess started. So, Barb and I went over there, loaded up the old trusses, brought them home and have them stacked and waiting for us to start building. 

We won't get it done by the time we leave for Alaska, but I do hope to get the dirt work done. We started by scraping all the topsoil off and setting it aside. 

Once that was done it was time to set grade and level out the site. But here's the deal, there is not much level on our property. This spot requires 2' of fill in one corner, 1' in two other corners and nothing in the 4th corner. Rather than pay for all that fill, I went down to the pond and scraped a few loads of loose dirt around the edge and loaded into Neighbor Jim's dump trailer.

Once I got all that I could take from that area it was off to the local quarry for road base gravel. 4 loads so far and it looks like I will need about 6 more. Once it is all leveled out, we will let the rain and weather compact it over the summer and carry on with this project in the fall.

Several of you commented on the map program we used to document our travels. The program we use is Travellerspoint. We looked at several, but this is the one we settled on. Travellerspoint gives you a variety of options for mapping your route. We've tried several and prefer the Curved Line.

This screenshot shows the "Drive" and Straight Line" options.

The website also has other features including a Blog feature, but we have never tried them.  Speaking of blogs, Blogger has been giving me trouble lately. Not as much as it has given other people, but I spent an hour or so putting a couple dozen blogs in the "Our Favorite Blogs" section. This is how we keep track of the blogs we read and it tells us when one of them posts a new post. They were all there initially, then some, randomly, started disappearing. Not enough that you would notice but eventually I would say to myself "XXX has not posted for a while". I would go to their blog and sure enough, they had been posting but had disappeared from our sidebar. Very frustrating!

We, along with Kevin and Cheryl, went over to Dan and Bonnie's for salmon supper one evening. It turned into quite the crazy night. There may or may not have been a video taken of Kevin near the end of the night showing him shirtless, flexing his muscles. I was traumatized seeing it in person and since many of you are probably eating breakfast as you read this, I will save you from having to view said video.

We did play a couple of dice games. I don't know if they do this in other states, but in Wisconsin almost every bar has something called Shake-a-day where everyone puts in a dollar and with 6 dice you have 3 shakes to get 6 of a kind. If you do, you get 1/2 the pot. If no one gets it, the pot carries on until eventually someone gets it another day. You can only play one time a day. 

We also played Sh#tbox which is what you see in the picture below. It is really called Shut the Box, it seems to have taken on this new name. Everyone putting in a dollar. The winner with the lowest total wins the pot. Here are the rules if you are unfamiliar with it. Of course we do not use real money for either of these games, that would be illegal!  

Last Sunday, we spent the day over at Kevin's helping him cut shiplap boards out of rough cut for their bunkhouse. I cut the boards to length, Kevin dado'ed the shiplap groove into each side of the boards, finally, Barb and Cheryl sanded them. We headed over there today (Sunday) again to continue to help them get the bunkhouse ready for renting this summer. 
Let's see, what else have we been doing? Oh! we made three Bluebird houses! We have plenty of scrap wood around the garage so we thought we would put it to good use. 
We've had a few checking them out, but so far, no one has taken up residence. 

We went for a couple of walks looking for sheds. The elk and deer have started dropping their antlers. You see a lot of interesting things out in the forest. I did find this pile of chocolate covered peanuts in the middle of the woods.
They were a little fibrous and earthy, but otherwise they tasted okay. We knew we were in the right area but have yet to find anything. There are bearing trees scattered throughout the forest. The geological service uses them instead of permanent markers. We also found numerous elk rubs like the one on the right below. 
Lastly, the weather has finally warmed up enough for us to enjoy the gazebo. We put the TV back out there, restocked the bar and hung two signs we picked up on our travels. Life, is good!


75 comments:

  1. You are a glutton for punishment!! But I do love that gazebo. Maybe you could hang a loft in your garage and rent it out ... hint hint!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we have a spot for visitors. Full hook ups for RV travelers and an upstairs bedroom in the house for our elite guests!

      Delete
  2. Yes blogger is getting to be a pain in the butt. I still cannot reply to any blogs through our blog unless I use the "name" feature and then publish my own comment. All since I got a new computer last year and I had some kid transfer my info. Hopefully your issues are not continuing. A new build. Wow you guys are busy again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had that issue periodically when our browser updates. I went into the Security section and made some changes and it seemed to fix the issue.

      Delete
  3. With the vacation over it’s no surprise that you guys are as busy as ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only have 2-3 weeks before our next adventure so we have to get moving on this thing!

      Delete
  4. Are you trying to get on that reality TV show about hoarding? Because I think you are well on your way when you have to start building more out buildings for all of your "Treasures". Kevin is obviously a smart man. He hires you and Barb to work for free to build a bunkhouse he will make money on. Brilliant. Don't tell him I said that though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't really think he would take advantage of us like that do you? And I will have you know that we treasure our treasures. In fact, the one you gave us is prominently displayed in our loft!

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    The travelers maps look neat! The Alaska trip should be nice, it is on our bucket list, mainly the Denali Nat'l Park area. I like your fire pit and the cute dogs. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would absolutely love Alaska! If there is any way you can fit it into your travel adventures, do it!

      Delete
  6. Enjoy every day. Good to see the garage started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope to make more progress this week and at least get the majority of the dirt work done.

      Delete
  7. kevins fault...are you kidding me!!! hehehe. the bluebird houses are great, if they are in the area, they will use them. it's just like when we buy a home, they have to make sure your homes are the right ones for them. with those homes, you will be able to get some beautiful pictures of them!! no comment about the chocolate covered peanuts...you had me going!!! nice to see you enjoying the gazebo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely his fault, at least that is my story! Send me your address, and I will send you some of those chocolate covered peanuts!

      Delete
    2. 222 I Am Not That Dumb, New Jersey

      Delete
    3. I am not that dumb...way to go Debbie! hahahahaha!!!

      Delete
  8. It's a epidemic of garage building! Mike is enjoying his new garage so much and it's great to have both trucks under cover. We understand about no flat ground--nothing is flat at our place in Montana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talked about you guys when we decided to start this project. You inspired us!

      Delete
  9. You two are super busy-Alaska trip sounds awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been wanting to get back up to Alaska for several years now. It looks like we just might be able to pull it off this year!

      Delete
  10. Wow, that seems like a big project! It will be nice when it's completed to have a garage for storage and all your necessary tools and such. The bluebird houses are really nice. They turned out great. And that fire pit looks so warm and cozy. It's still a bit cold in the mornings and evenings here, and we've had sunshine this week.

    Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still a bit chilly in the mornings here. mid to upper 20'sF. We are looking forward to the 40's in the mornings and mid 60's in the afternoon.

      Delete
  11. You guys always seem to find another huge project to do there, but they are so wonderful when they are done how could you not. Look at that gazebo! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just when we thought the gazebo was going to be our final big project we come up with this one. But this one is the last one..... I promise!

      Delete
  12. projects just seem to follow me.....haha, or I seem to think up more and more than I need too! Loving the birdhouses and with as many trees that I have behind the house, I need to start making several....actually a lot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birdhouses and feeders are fun projects as you can see the results of your efforts. I think a few are definitely in order at your place!

      Delete
  13. What are you putting in the new building?! All our years on our ranch and we only found one deer shed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new tractor does not fit in the shed. I either have to cut the stack or build a new garage. So of course, the obvious answer is to build another garage right? We also plan on getting a fishing boat someday, and that will need to be stored inside.

      Delete
  14. Once again. Me. Stupid blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a secret to tell you, are you listening? No matter how big you build it, it will not be big enough. Did you taste the chocolate covered peanuts, if not how do you know they were peanuts, might have been raisins or almonds? Lol. I have to say, Kevin is a great fellow, letting Barb help for free while you stand around documenting Barb and Kevin’s work. Lol. Have a great rest of your day!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope it was big enough. We laid it out as a 24x36, then at the last minute added 12'. By the way, we do not work for free, on that day we got one pop, one brat and one beer. Probably a fair trade based on my work output.

      Delete
  16. Blogger has been removing non-secure (http) blogs from my sidebar, secure (https) blogs remain. I added a 'reading list' for the http blogs.
    Your garage project is a major undertaking!
    Thanks for the tip on the mapping software, I'll be checking that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that about the non-secure blogs. I wonder if that is the case. I never really paid attention to the http/https portion of the addresses.

      Delete
  17. I'm glad you are enjoying the gazebo. But another project? Really? So much for being done and btw, Dale said a 24x48 building isn't a garage, it's an airplane hanger. He wants to know how you managed to get so much stuff accumulated that you need a hanger??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The garage portion is going to be 36x24 with a 12' workshop for all the woodworking equipment. This will free up space in the house garage and keep us more organized.

      Delete
  18. Thank you for dropping by my blog. I am glad to have visited here. Interesting that you travel to Alaska. My husband and I went to Alaska last year and he had been the year before. He is already planning for us to go again. I definitely want to follow to see where all your trip takes you. Will be following..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you drive or fly to Alaska? We would love to go every other year, but there are so many other places we want to go to!

      Delete
  19. Hi. Looks like nothing has changed. You are just as busy as ever. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if either of us relax too long our muscles will lock up and we will not be able to move!

      Delete
  20. Blogger can be frustrating at times, but I figure I'm getting my money's worth. :)
    It must be handy to have access to the big trucks and equipment that you do. That helps make a project more do-it-yourself friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using Neighbor Jim's dump trailer is a Godsend. Makes the work so much easier and saves me a ton of money not having to have it delivered.

      Delete
  21. I thought you might have another big project in the works. Good luck.

    The gazebo looks great. Glad it is warm enough so you can enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week. At the end of the week, it is going to get down in the single digits F, so we will be back inside!

      Delete
  22. You have been busy with lots of projects. Interesting that you have seen Bluebirds already. I use a blog reader called The Old Reader it is free to follow 100 blogs, after that you have to pay. It is sometimes slow to show new blog posts.
    We live near a little town called Osage, in the country just off of Straight Lake, we can hear the boats from our patio. My brothers and nephew live next door. We will head back there April 1st or so hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such and awesome area up there. Except the mosquitoes. I have never heard of Old Reader, I will have to check it out.

      Delete
  23. When you said "New Garage", I was thinking perhaps a 6' by 9' shed...but NO, you all just don't do things small up there in South Dakota. Are you sure you did not move to Texas, everything is larger in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas is a beautiful state, but we just cannot see ourselves living somewhere that does not see regular snow. Most years at least. This year seems to be much warmer than usual.

      Delete
  24. You both can’t sit still either! What a nice addition you are undertaking and adding to your already beautiful property and home. After living in a 38 ft MH for nine years, I realized we don’t need a lot of stuff although I have to admit I love Christmas decorations and have acquired a few new things the past couple of years since being in a sticks and stucco. We had lots of bluebirds/ and houses for them in our GA yard. I sure miss them! And your gazebo is awesome! Your fire looks just like ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we first left the 5th wheel and moved into the house we were embracing a minimalistic lifestyle. I think we are still there for the most part, but over the past 5 years we have acquired a lot more "stuff"!

      Delete
  25. Love the firepit. You all have been busy and having fun it seems..lol Surprised you don't use real money seeing it's only a dollar! :)
    I also like that map you used last time, so thanks for the link will look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am speaking facetiously when I talked of the fake money. You are right, it is only a dollar!

      Delete
  26. I understand bursting at the seams. I think we almost always find ways to use (read that as "fill") whatever space is allocated. It's like when I carry a large purse -- it's packed. Right now I'm carrying a small one and it works just fine and I wonder why my other is always almost like an overnight bag! The games and camaraderie look fun. Happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. I sure hope we don't fill his one and can keep it under control and organized!

      Delete
  27. The maps your shared last time were impressie.. thanks for sharing the link.
    Enjoy your gazebo. Things have finally started to warm up a bit around here as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever create your own maps you'll have to let me know. Yours would be crazy!

      Delete
  28. You certainly have enough property to add more garages, sheds etc. as needed. I'm sure the new build will be as nice as your house and looking forward to follow the progress. In the meantime enjoy your travel to Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After thinking about the timeline, we probably will not get this completed until later this fall of even early next spring so there might not be a lot of progress in the coming months. But there should be Alaskan adventures ahead!

      Delete
  29. I don't know how you do it! My JB is on nap #2 for today.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Seems like in life there is always something going on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so, the alternative doesn't sound too appealing right now.

      Delete
  31. You two exhaust me. Thanks goodness we are never looking for projects to do unless it involves hiring someone...haha! We are both excellent at retirement...relax, read, hike, bike ride, travel, repeat. I struggle finding time to clean the bathrooms and dust...haha! Looks like a great start to your new garage. Glad you enjoyed the "chocolate covered peanuts"! Haha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of a few readers took me a little too literally. We have yet to learn your retirement mantra. Maybe someday, it sounds wonderful!

      Delete
  32. So, you have begun a big project, but enjoy your gazebo in the meantime. However, our weather has turned cold again, and if yours is the same, you'll probably be in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is the last nice day of the week, then you are right, we will probably be in the house!

      Delete
  33. Chocolate covered peanuts? Oh my! I'll keep an eye for them in the woods here! haha! You always stay so busy. I love that map with your route. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You only find the peanut variety in elk country, otherwise you are more likely to find chocolate covered raisins!

      Delete
  34. You guys are certainly busy! Can't wait for your Alaska posts!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That's quite a "little" project! I love how you guys all help each other out to get things done. I think I've seen those chocolate covered peanuts in the desert on occasion. I always thought they had something to do with the bighorn sheep. I'll have to taste a few next time I come across them! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, those are placed there by The Yucca Man for weary travelers hiking the desert. You should definitely try one next time you see some!

      Delete
  36. I love how you stay so busy and industrious; somehow just reading about all of your activities makes me feel as though I should sit here for another hour, trying to type while my blasted cat sleeps ON my right forearm! But I perked up bigtime when I saw the gazebo!!!! A TV out there? WOW WOW WOW guys! That is my kind of setup. I love to be both inside and outside at the same time. I will bring my own Diet Coke with lemon but you may have to feed me snacks but NOT those "chocolate covered peanuts" hahahaha! The pirate is not fooled. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, you are welcome any time and we will make sure we have real chocolate covered peanuts for you!

      Delete