Friday, March 29, 2024

Spring?

 It looks like spring has sprung up here in the north land! The birds are singing, the turkeys are gobbling, and the cows are calving. True signs of spring. 

The robin is the first sign of spring in our area. They start appearing one by one, then flocks of dozens. Next up is the bluebird with their colorful breeding plumage. We see them mostly in the open country sitting on fence lines and checking out the bluebird houses.

The last bird to show up in the area and the truest sign of spring is the meadow lark. They too are open country birds whose call can be heard from a long way away. We saw our first meadow lark earlier this week. I went out on a hunt for one with the camera, but of course they did not cooperate. 

We continue to go for "Shed Walks" but have yet to find any. We did find the last resting place of this coyote. One has to wonder how it met its demise.

Of course, when we do not take the girls the wabbits show up!

We have been reserving our past few Sundays to work with Kevin. That is the only day he takes "off" so he can work on his bunkhouse. This past Sunday was no different when Barb and I went over to help him put up some tongue & groove planking in two bedrooms. 

Kevin and I worked on the ceilings while Barb worked on putting blocking in some sidewalls. We had a system; Kevin was in the house shouting me measurements, I would cut it, bring it in and using two ladders we would get the piece in place. Kevin would then nail it in while I went and got the next piece and he would shout another number at me. I did not get any action shots as we were always running. 

6 hours later we had one room completely done and another room 1/2 done. Barb had all the blocking done. If you compare the before and after pictures you can see the blocking that Barb put between the studs on the walls. She not only did this room, but every room in the house. 

One thing I forgot to mention. See the grooves on the ends of the boards on the "after" picture? Each one of those had to be hand beveled into the boards. Not terribly difficult, but a pain and time consuming. 

Later in the week we were off to one of Kevin's job sites to get some free garage doors! This is the same site that we got the trusses from last week. To give you an idea of the scope of this job I need you to use your imagination. In the picture below imagine just a plain garage with a normal roof, nothing on either side of those garage doors; no windows anywhere at all. Kevin replaced the roof with a steeper pitch, (that's how we got our trusses) added the dormers on top, added the RV garage on the right, added a kitchen area on the left (the room with the 3 windows) and added the open patio on the far left. 

The owners want new garage doors, and they were generous enough to give us their old ones! So away we went! Although it looks like Barb is doing all the work, I did have my own impact and did my share of work too.... no really I did!

Like much of the country, we went from spring back to winter at the end of the week. It will be 4-5 days before we see temperatures above freezing again. So, what does one do on a snow day? Taxes. Ugh! But after that, I set up the tripod and took a 2-minute video of the activity at the bird feeder. Those little critters sure flock to the feeder on cold days! I did a slow motion of a little fight between two birds. It is amazing what happens in the matter of a second or so. How many different species of birds do you see in the video?

There are several other species of birds using the feeder, and I am trying to get pictures of each, but some are more elusive than others. I now have by camera close by so hopefully I will capture them in the coming weeks. 
Did you know the nuthatch is the only bird that can walk down a tree face first? Other birds have to face up and kind of bounce their way down whereas the nuthatch can actually face down and just walk.  

Of course when the snow flies, it means a fire in the fireplace. Which means Zoey gets toasty warm! I do not know how she can stand it!
Over the past couple of weeks Barb has slowly been working on some stone stairs in front of the house. We go for drives in the side by side in search of the perfect flat rocks for the stairs. They have to be at least 18"x18", preferably bigger, but not so big I cannot lift them. We have been out three times now and have brought home over a dozen rocks. It is slow and tedious work, but she is getting there!
Meanwhile, I finished hauling all the gravel for the garage. Kevin came over the other day and flattened it all out. We used his laser level to set the final grade. An hour later, it was all done, and he was off to his next job!
Now, we just need mother nature to do her thing and let it settle over the summer. With luck, we will get the slab poured this fall! 

The highlight of the week though was when the dogs got a bath in the dog wash. As you can see, both were over the top excited!
Have a great week!

63 comments:

  1. Great to see the birds are back. You have lots of action at the feeder. The photos of the turkey are great. Such a showy bird!

    Love the looks on the pups having a shower! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were going crazy on that snowy day. It is interesting, some species totally disappear when it snows while others are super active.

      Delete
  2. Getting your garage pad graded looks like a big job, but then so does fire blocks in all the walls! Nice job, Barb!
    The return of the robins has got to be a sign that spring is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of gravel but once we got that laid, Kevin had it graded in about an hour. The blocking was a combination of fireblock and backer for vertical wall boards and wainscotting.

      Delete
  3. Such fabulous pictures! I love seeing the wildlife where y'all live! Looks like lot of good projects going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too enjoy seeing wildlife from different parts of the country. It gets my imagination running on what else is different or perhaps the same in that area.

      Delete
  4. The stone steps look like one huge, heavy project--but sooo cool!
    You guys are always busy and are good friends to people who need help with their projects as well. :)
    Love seeing all the birds. You reminded me that I don't think I've heard a meadowlark since I was a kid. We had fields next to the housing development for several years--with meadowlarks, killdeer, flickers, skinks, garter snakes, the occasional crow...all kinds of critters. I was so lucky to have had years of roaming those fields and the lake nearby that had its own regular critters.
    Enjoy those turkeys! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of those birds you mentioned, we have flickers, killdeer and of course the ever-present jay and crows. Memories of roaming fields like that last a lifetime and a picture or a glimpse of something can take you back to a moment decades ago.

      Delete
  5. Great pictures as always of your constantly changing home. Those Stairs are really taking shape. I never had the chance to learn about the different breeds of birds and appreciate your narrative.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a pretty amateur bird enthusiast myself. I can name pretty much every species in our area, but still get confused on one or two.

      Delete
  6. I am impressed about your bird knowledge if I did not have the Merlin App on my phone I would not have a clue most of the time. Though I do know a Robin when I see one...:)
    Barb is certainly doing a wonderful job on your stairs. Yes the dogs do look so happy to be getting a bath...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but they smelled so fresh and felt so soft afterwards!

      Delete
  7. Seems you are having fun doing that work, but won't it be good when it's finished.
    Love the bird feeder and video...Happy Easter to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might appreciate the video. You have a lot different birds than we do!

      Delete
  8. I love seeing the birds, you have a nice variety there. Cute photos of the doggies getting their baths. Happy Easter to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have us beat in the bird variety category. Especially with all the waterfowl you have!

      Delete
  9. Kevin is a good friend to have! It's calving season here, too. I have a friend, who raises cattle, who is on their 12th calf. That's a lot for here in the east where the herds aren't that big. Some of your birds look the same as we get at our birdfeeder, but some are different versions, like the bluebird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even 12 cows and their calves can be a handful. Especially when most ranchers nowadays have other fulltime jobs as well.

      Delete
  10. Come on, tell the truth. Barb does most ALL the work around there! LOL. So few birds around here, it's fun to listen to them. You have quite the variety. Happy Easter and happy shed hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I did not take pictures, none would be taken. Thus, it is always of her working. At least that's my story and I am sticking to it!

      Delete
  11. We were having spring and then winter hit us last weekend. Finally that snow melted and now they are saying we could get more next week. NO!!!! One of my dogs would love the dog wash, but not the other. It's great seeing your birds ( a mix of east and west) and all your work around the house. Have a great weekend and start to April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happened to us last weekend and now it looks like it is going to happen again this weekend! Neither of our dogs were a fan of the bath, but I think they both felt better after.

      Delete
  12. Spring is such an uplifting and enjoyable season. We also had Spring between two snowfalls confusing the flowers that were already up. Great choice for your stairs…looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are soooo lucky, you get multiple springs! Or multiple winters, depending on which way you look at it!

      Delete
  13. Cripple Guy Construction here. I find it amazing how much work you can get done with such a large crew. If you think about then, I am doing the work of three people. Birds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it makes you better about yourself, you just go ahead and think that way. You are you are amazing! As for the birds, some people are more well-rounded than you and actually enjoy nature.

      Delete
    2. I'm too busy to enjoy nature. I work and then die. In that order.

      Delete
  14. You guys are amazing as is Kevin! We also have wood ceilings in our Montana home and used tongue and groove spruce and some aspen. When you said it was "spring" my first thought was "oh, no it's not!"--I kept reading--nope, not yet in the high country. Busy bird feeders I love. That dog wash is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are at 4,900 feet. Winter returned again today with a couple inches of snow. You best stay down there another week or two ...

      Delete
  15. Always busy! The rock steps are looking great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta get the work in before the Great Alaskan Adventure!

      Delete
  16. Loved the bird video. We will be back to feeding the birds next week. My Aunt Marie always called the Nuthatches assups.:) The Junco and the Goldfinch had quite the fight!! You have Mountain Bluebirds there, they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assups, that's a good one! I was amazed at what actually took place in the millisecond that fight took place. You'd never catch that with the naked eye.

      Delete
  17. Bloody good photos, not spring here as we are in autumn, seeing the dogs get washed made me think of how some dogs love being washed others act as if we are trying to drown them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Find a puddle and these two jump right in, give them a bath and they think they are being abused!

      Delete
  18. Hi guys…I must say you both stay very busy and I am always so amazed with Barb and her many talents. I love the rock steps! I agree with Janna…busy feeders and busy nesting boxes are the best. I do miss the bluebirds! And meadow larks are a delight to see and hear! My favorite photo this post….sweet little Zoey on the heart! Hope you have a good week too! P.S. I did find your comment for the “It’s Spring!” post I posted last week in the comment section, but for some reason it did not show up in the blog post itself. I have no clue why. I am sorry…I welcome any ideas you might have if I can fix it on my end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but you have those cute quail! I would trade you both the bluebirds and meadowlarks if I could have those quail. I'd even throw in a turkey or two!

      Delete
  19. It is really something when a dog comes to a small lake, they will jump in and play...but when it is time for a bath, they look like you are killing them! Skruffy, Bubba and now Indy all act that way. At this rate it will 2026 before Barb finds enough stones to finish her stairway...but it will only take a month to get enough stone to cover your grave! (LOL) Spring has definitely come our parts of Florida...even the lows at night are in the upper 50's. Another month and we will be complaining about the heat and the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get the heck out of Florida! We went out again and I think she has enough stones to finish the stairs. The weather has turned though so it might be a while.

      Delete
  20. It's always fun to read your posts, I take my time going through all your photos. Wildlife sightings are interesting and that bunkhouse, and amazing job on the house and the rocky path. It's the first time I have seen a garage especially for an RV., it's all very impressive. Your dogs are as cute as ever. Give them some ear scratches from me please and you and Barb have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scratches have been delivered and I even told them they were from Denise in VA. They did not seem to know who you were, but appreciated the scratches!

      Delete
  21. Spring is definitely inching her way in this year! Looks like you are still able to get out and keep busy with more projects, or at least to take pics of Barb doing projects....... I love the steps! Having a garage will be a great addition to the homestead - wonderful that you guys and Kevin help each other out to awesome benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been a beast working on those stairs. Some of those blocks I could barely lift, so she has to roll and wedge them into place. Any a couple times has she came and got me (off the couch) to help her put on in place.

      Delete
  22. That's fun getting new garage doors. Sounds like you and Kevin have a great relationship. I love seeing the dogs, too. Your collective energy blows my mind! Thanks for stopping by, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when they are free! We have known Kevin for almost 20 years when we both lived in Wisconsin. He is a great friend.

      Delete
  23. I enjoyed all aspects of your post today. The cycle of life is remarkably similar no matter what part of the planet we inhabit.

    Along with that similarity are the signs of Spring.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one has to wonder how that coyote met its demise.

      Delete
  24. I'm astounded by your energy and skills. The photos are great. Your pups' faces made me giggle, and I covet your landscaping abilities. :D As for birds, I recognized goldfinches, for sure. Is the masked one a dark eyed junko? Its tail appears too long, though, and the overall size larger. Okay, now I'm distracted by birds in my own yard on this nice Ohio day. lol Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a Junco for sure, I just don't know which subspecies. I am betting your birds are embracing spring and are happy to be back up north!

      Delete
  25. Replies
    1. I know, so overwhelming that I do not even want to start it!

      Delete
  26. Oh, I love those turkeys. I used to see them all the time in my hometown. I really miss seeing them in the neighborhood! Wow, this looks like such a big project. I hope it all goes well. Your dog looks so cozy sitting next to the fire place. You have lots of birds at the feeder. My neighbor puts her feeder out, and the hummingbirds visit, but I love to see the hummingbird visit me on its own when I'm watering my white flowering bush in the Spring. I want to thank you for letting me know about the Eurasian collard dove. They are from the same family, but a bit different. They are a little bit bigger and lighter than the mourning dove. That's neat that you're still getting snow!

    Happy April!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if we have hummingbirds around here. I have read that you should not put out feeders unless you are around to continue to fill them so we have not put any out. I have no idea how Zoey can stand to lay next to that fire!

      Delete
  27. You guys get so much done in a week! Great score on the garage door. I tried to figure out that orange-ish bird on your feeder, and can only guess it is a grosbeak of some sort? And is the bluebird an indigo bunting, or some other breed that we do not have here in the east?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you are correct on the grosbeak. I looked them up once before and that is what I identified them as. Those are mountain bluebirds, I have seen an indigo once and it was a much more vibrant blue.

      Delete
  28. You have been busy! It is looking really good.
    I love seeing the birds, the cows, the turkeys - and any signs of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first signs of spring are always a welcome sight. Even if they are just fleeting, it gives us hope for what's to come.

      Delete
  29. Again, you forgot to kickback! You two do great work. Love Barb's steps. I'm not seeing joy on either puppies face. I imagine Zoey is laughing at Dakota getting her bath:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did not show the joy, but I actually don't think they minded it. They both zoomed around afterwards and seemed to have smiles on their faces.

      Delete
  30. Not being any stripe of a labor-inclined person except for housework (of which I do more than my share, haha), I am impressed with all of y'all's endeavors but especially with how Barb wields that drill and gets in there and does meaningful work while the guys are working on a different project! That's awe-inspiring. Her stone steps are going to be gorgeous when they are done. I like that idea very much indeed. The birds are wonderful. I did not know that about the nuthatch. We had a woodpecker in our white oak that sits just a few feet from our front porch, and I couldn't believe how loud he was! He has moved on but for that day he was hammering his beak into that bark like it was his job. I hope y'all get some warm-to-stay weather soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think that is something, you should see her rock a nail gun! I don't think there is anything that she cannot do once she sets her mind to it.

      Delete