Sunday, April 21, 2024

Russ

We received some horrible news here at the farm this week. Chris's uncle (my friend Bob's brother) passed away last weekend at the age of 59. Russ is the youngest of the 4 Sobieck brothers that I used to hang around with in my high school days.  In fact, I would venture to say that I spent more time at their house then mine back then. My heart goes out to all the Sobieck family. I am still in denial/shock/disbelief. I cannot imagine what Russ's wife, kids, mother and brothers are going through. One of the hardest things to wrap my head around is how life goes on after such a tragic event. The birds still sing, and millions of people go on about their daily business without a care in the world. While for others, the world has stopped completely.

Bob was slated to come up here on Sunday until he received that news. Obviously, that has been delayed.

Workwise, the first few days of my week consisted of finishing the forms for that bin site. We got all the rebar set and tied. 

Setting all that rebar did not help my back at all. Not necessarily hard work, but repetitive and exhausting. Each stick of rebar weighs a little over 20 pounds and I would pick them up from a stack, carry them two at a time from there to where they were to be placed, bend over set one in place, move 18" and set the other one down. Back and forth for hours. Considering there were over 200 sticks of rebar, that is a lot of bending over and picking up.

Ty Cutting rebar                                           All set and ready for concrete!

We finally got in the field this week! Chris started with peas as they can stand the cold and moisture of this time of year better than other crops. By then end of Day 1 he got 280 acres in the ground on Monday and another 115 on Saturday.  Less than 10% of the total, but it is a start!

Tuesday (and Wednesday) was a rain day. I actually got up into Minot to do some shopping. Besides food, I picked up some clothing to wear to Russ's funeral. That was one set of clothes that I did not expect to need up here. 

What a muddy mess. Especially when the frost is coming out of the ground at the same time. More than once we had to pull trucks here for seed orders out of the mud. 
Here are the cast for characters that will get used this spring. First is the 620. It will do the bulk of the planting with a huge Bourgault seeder. 
Next up is the 550. It is the workhorse of the farm and the one I use most often. This spring it too will be planting, and I will use it to roll the peas. It is in the field right now, so I did not get a good picture of it. It is the tractor in the middle of this picture. 
Then there is the 440, the oldest tractor on the farm. A once proud and powerful tractor, it hardly leaves the yard and is relegated to grain cart, spending its day loading and unloading grain from bin to truck and truck to bin. 

440 and cart
Throughout the day the 440 gets called into duty when Chris or Dylan will say something like "Pull 750 bushel of oats from bin 10 and load it in the cart." I will then say; "How many pounds is that?". I can never keep track of how many pounds are in a bushel are in each variety of grain. Oats for example 32lbs/bushel, flax is 56lbs, most everything else is 60lbs.  
Loading oats from the bin to the cart
Dumping oats from cart into a customer's truck

Unloading fertilizer from elevator truck into one of our trucks

Putting wheat seed into one of the seeder hoppers
Loading inoculant into the Bourgault
Chris, Holly and I left the farm late in the afternoon on Thursday making the 7-hour trek to Rogers Minnesota, arriving about midnight, where we spent the night at his parents' house. The next morning, I was able to have breakfast with a good friend of mine. Tom and I met while working together in 1981 and have been good friends ever since. Although we only talk to each other every other month or so, and see each other even less, he is a great friend and always will be. We spent a little over an hour catching up on each other's lives before I had to head back to meet Bob, Chris and family and head over to Woodbury for Russ's celebration of life. 

Talk about an emotional event. I saw friends and family I have not seen in years. My brother Bob and his wife Greta are also part of the Sobieck extended family. We reminisced about some great Russ stories, lots of laughs, tears and hugs. What is it about emotional events, I can work all day and not get tired, but spend one afternoon laughing and crying and I am totally wiped. After the event, we drove back up to the farm arrive about 1:00am. 

Barb would have like to have come as well, but she stayed in South Dakota, still recovering from the crud. She is better, maybe 85%, but still not ready to get back out in public.

Saturday we were back at it hard. Multiple seed orders had to be filled. Getting the seeders ready for the field and picking up chemical, dropping semis off in various fields and fixing things that are constantly breaking. 

Late in the day I had to go pick up Ty and Farmer Bob in two different fields. I brought my camera and was able to capture a few shots just as the sun was hitting the horizon. My favorite time of day to get out with the camera. Each of these were taken just driving down the road, out the window of the truck. Of the couple of dozen I took, these handful I deemed as blogworthy.....





A roller coaster of a week, experiencing both the highs and lows of what life has to offer. Here's to Russ, gone, but never forgotten. 

73 comments:

  1. A life not lived long enough--I am so sorry for your loss. That is one busy, huge farming operation! And Michael said he couldn't imagine getting ready to pour a concrete pad that huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said it would be about 20 cement trucks. Looks like we are pouring it this week!

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry about your friend, Jim. Definitely too young to be gone. His poor family. I understand that feeling of confusion and even anger to see the world just go on when we have a great loss. It is very difficult to get through those feelings.
    The farm work is impressive! What a huge operation. And your bird photos are stunning.
    Stay well and safe. Wishing Barb a steady recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is who I feel really bad for; his wife, kids and family. It is hard enough even when you are expecting it. When it is sudden like this? I can't even imagine.

      Delete
    2. Yes, incredibly difficult. Sending up prayers for them all. Been there, and it is a terrible place to be.

      Delete
    3. I remember reading that in one of your comments from a previous post. Way too much death in our lives.

      Delete
  3. Yes, these pics were blogworthy. You are getting busy over there. Sorry about the loss of your friend, or friend's brother as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wildlife out here just outside your truck window is amazing. Hopefully I will have more time to get out and about to take more pictures.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about the loss of a friend. That farming operation is huge. So much going on and so much to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over, you can experience it for yourself. We can trade places and I'll sling soup for a week!

      Delete
  5. My heart goes out to Russ' family. What a shock to everyone when someone so young passes. I suppose life goes on, but it will never be the same. Prayers to his family.

    P.S. NICE tractors!!! Tying rebar sucks, but the tractors make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have an automatic tyer which is the bomb. Otherwise, it would seriously suck!

      Delete
  6. Hard to loose long-time friends and acquaintances. My 50 year high school reunion was last summer, I did not go due to helping mom, but I was shocked that over 10% of my graduating class had passed away. It probably is par for the course, but to see the names and knowing 10-15 of them pretty good was just a shock. Prayers to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to a high school reunion, but I am guessing a number of our class has passed away as well.

      Delete
  7. So sorry for you loss, but I'm glad you were able to be there to support the family. That is a huge farm operation, and I can only imagine the cost of acquiring all of that equipment. Farming is not cheap. And those are stunning bird pictures, definitely blog worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really why friends attend funerals isn't it? To be there for the family and let them know they are loved.
      People do not even begin to understand that it takes to farm nowadays. The numbers are staggering.

      Delete
  8. So sorry about the loss of your friend, sending virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss-I understand your mention of how a loss really effects us but the world continues like nothing has happened-I have experienced this back in the "80s when I lost 4 close family members within a 4 month period I never went to a funeral again after that until a couple down here in Missouri of friends.
    Your work does sound rough-take care of yourself-
    Really enjoyed all the photos
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first funeral/celebration of life that I have been to in 20 years. Sadly, they will probably be a regular occurrence in the coming 20 years. That year in the 80's must have been horrible for you.

      Delete
  10. It does seem a constant that you only run into some friends and relatives at weddings or funerals. Sorry about the loss of your dear friend.
    Hoping Barb is back to 100% soon.
    Nice pictures.
    Be Safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talked about it. Why is it we all only get together at such occasions? Sadly, at our age, there will only be more.

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry for you loss. We have a dear friend who won't make it to 65 due to cancer. News/events like this are very sobering, and makes me appreciate the years of full-time RVing and "living" that we've done. Great pics with the camera especially the pheasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the pheasant is by far the prettiest, my favorite was the red-winged blackbird caught in did call. Sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer sucks.

      Delete
  12. So sorry to hear of your uncle’s passing!

    The bird photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just trying to keep up with you in the fantastic bird photography!

      Delete
  13. It is sad when someone dies, unless the someone was Hitler then not so much, dying in your 50's is too young. I like the photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good perspective. There are dozens of people that I can think of that should have gone before Russ.

      Delete
  14. My father-in-law passed away unexpectantly at age 58 years ago, and it is such a tragic and mind-numbing thing. So sorry for your loss. And I forget how big fields are in farm country because here in New England with our wooded areas most fields are not so large.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be in awe of the openess of North Dakota compared to your area. There are stretches for miles with nary a tree. Some find it open and boring. I find it fascinating.

      Delete
  15. Sorry for your loss. Those left behind need the laughter to help the healing. Remember him with a smile and laughter, his memory deserves the tribute.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. But it seems so weird to go to an event like that to laugh.

      Delete
  16. So sorry to hear about such an unexpected loss of someone so young. Sounded like a heartfelt gathering with many memories. Too bad Barb is still sick and couldn't be there. That crud seems relentless! McFamily are all sick with it yet again. Hope your back is okay. You have your work cut out for you. It is fascinating to see what all is involved in the planting and harvesting when you go to help out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Your family has been sick forever, or so it seems. Hope they are feeling better soon.

      Delete
  17. Sorry for your loss, but it was good that you could attend the funeral. 59 is pretty young, I think it is always harder when it is unexpected and they are younger than you are. Those are some fancy looking tractors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard when you are expecting it. Definitely harder when it is unexpected.

      Delete
  18. You said it so eloquently.....it's hard to believe that birds still sing, the sun still rises and sets, and other people's lives go on as usual....We're sorry for your loss and for a life ended too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is a word never associated with my name before; eloquent. I think I shall right that down.

      Delete
  19. My goodness, sorry to read about the loss of a friend, too young.
    You have had a busy time, the work you are doing looks great and looks a big job.
    The photos are nice to see, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way too young. The busy time is just actually getting going. The next two weeks should be crazy.

      Delete
  20. So sorry Jim on the passing of your friend. Those are some mighty fine looking tractors you guys get to play with. Glad to hear Barb is improving! Great bird pics too.
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys! Hope everything is well up north. We'll be in Canada in about a month!

      Delete
  21. Such sad news Jim…so sorry for the loss of a great friend. You are so right about life…it continues as we try to wrap our heads around missing a friend or family member. I always enjoy your farming days. The photo of the red “tonka” trucks is way cool. And fingers crossed the concrete is an easy pour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We pour the concrete tomorrow, I already cannot wait for that day to be over with.

      Delete
  22. Your post really captures our human existence in a nutshell.

    We all eventually pass on, leaving behind those who grieve our absence.
    We all continue our lives, diminished somewhat, as time attempts to heal our wounds.
    Planting seeds in fertile soil reminds us that life renews.

    We look at our kids and grandkids and we know - life is good.

    Thank you for the reminder about how precious is each day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sympathy and heart felt prayers for the passing of Russ

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so sorry for your loss.
    What a celebration of life! I've a client close to the end. It is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were hundreds of people at the celebration. I doubt I could pull half that many!

      Delete
  25. Loosing a friend especially so young and unexpected is a shock for sure. Sorry about your loss. As usual, the activities at the farm are interesting to me and I'm in awe at the size of the operation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to put in a more in-depth farming post, but finding the time to actually sit down and write proves to be a challenge. Hopefully this week!

      Delete
  26. i felt very sad, reading about your loss. it is such a difficult time for those who have been left behind...especially when the person is so young. my husband and i owned a construction company in our "hay" day, (did i ever tell you that)?? through that we purchased a lot of income property. the construction part is over but we still own the income property!! so i get so much of what you share!! you captured some really beautiful images. the red winged blackbird is one of my favorite birds. we had a pheasant that lived in our yard for a period of time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you two were blessed with a great business and careers. I only get brief chances to get out and take pictures, but when I do, the wildlife usually cooperates. The pheasant is one of my all time favorite birds.

      Delete
  27. So very sorry to hear of the loss of your life-long friend, gone way too soon :-( I always enjoy seeing the beautiful farm equipment. They're all just so cool! Beautiful birds, thanks for sharing the great variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in luck then as the next two weeks will be more of the same!

      Delete
  28. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. You all are in my prayers as I know how difficult it is to lose someone that you care so deeply for. Prayers for his wife and family. Sounds like you all have had a very busy and somewhat tiring week. Love love love the photos of the pheasant and other water fowl. gorgeous. I have a grandson who loves hunting and I will definitely be showing him these photos. We are in the farming business as well....and there are two things that bring huge smile to our faces. Equipment and a bountiful crop. Your bundle of equipment sure is beautiful. Blessings to you all..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you have a lot of different wildlife on your farm than we do here. I am also sure it is beautiful. When you are viewing everything nature has to offer, how can it not help but be beautiful?

      Delete
  29. So sorry to read about the loss of your friend. This reminds me to be positive and joyful every day since tomorrow isn't promised. Wow! Once again I'm tired for you. Farming is such hard work with long days. You definitely don't need to go to a gym since you daily life is always lifting something heavy. Hope the rain holds off for you and the planting can get completed. Glad to hear Barb is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am tired for me too. I actually hit a wall yesterday and had to take a break midday. Then last night I went to bed early (10:00) and slept until 7am! Today is a rain day, so it should not be too physically demanding.

      Delete
  30. So sorry for the loss of Russ, it's tough even when you're expecting it, but unexpected is horrible. We've told everyone, no funeral only a party when we're gone. I like the idea of stories being told about us LOL. Only wish I'd be there to hear them :) The farm is just amazing! I love when you're there so we can all see what you're doing! Thanks for taking us along! Glad to hear Barb is doing better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your philosophy, I bet there will be lots of stories and maybe a little alcohol at your event!?!

      Delete
  31. I'm so sorry about your friend. I know his family is just devastated. I'm glad you could spend some time with the family. I know that must have been a huge comfort. Hope Barb is feeling 100% or close now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know Russ"s immediately family real well. But I do know his mother and of course the brothers very well.

      Delete
  32. Do sorry about your good friends passing. Busy farm days. Love the pheasant pic!

    ReplyDelete
  33. My sincere and heartfelt condolences on the passing of Bob's brother. How sad any time, but worse when unexpected. Sounds as though in some ways, it is the end of an era. Isn't it amazing that funerals turn into family reunions? That's why I'm so adamant about taking pictures at them, which some people see as weird, but I don't because of the memories of a day that will never come again. I'm also sorry to learn that Barb is still a tad bit under the weather. I hope she's just resting up and taking care of herself. I'm going to share a link to this post with my TG, who's fascinated with all things farm-related! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wanted to take a picture or two at the Celebration of Life but thought it would be frowned upon. It was a good event though with lots of Russ stories.

      Delete
  34. So sorry for your loss. May your happy memories be a comfort to you and also to his family. Sadly it will probably take awhile for that to happen. Hope Barb is feeling better. I’m sure it was hard for her to be away from you during that difficult time. Sending hugs. Bird pics are really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly, his brother Bob is up here now and we talk about Russ a lot as we work together.

      Delete
  35. I'm so very sorry you've had a loss in your extended circle. That's so very difficult. And I hope Barb is much improved by now. Since I'm late visiting, maybe it's a good bet. And finally, thanks for coming by this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is doing much better, thank you. She is back to her normal self, never sitting still, looking for things to do.....

      Delete
  36. So sorry for your loss, that was way too young.

    ReplyDelete