Saturday, April 13, 2024

We Didn't See It

 I was driving to North Dakota, Barb was at home in the house. Both our skies were filled with cloud cover. Oh well, we will catch the next one. Leading up to the big event, I was so glad that every news station in the country was warning us not to look directly at the sun because that is exactly what I would have done. Seriously? We need to be told not to look at the sun? Apparently so, as after the eclipse, Google searches of "My eyes hurt" skyrocketed. 

Watching the news afterwards, I again shook my head as they interviewed person after person crying saying that it was a life-changing event. I mean, it was cool, but life-changing?

In other TV news, we did watch parts of the NCAA women's final. Something I would have bet money that I would never do. Not because it is women's basketball, we just do not care for basketball. But the storyline on this game was pretty amazing. 

My Monday morning drive to North Dakota was brutal. The first two hours at least. Saturday and Sunday at home consisted of much needed rain. We were thankful it was rain and not show. What I did not realize was that just a few miles away, it was snow. 

I was not surprised to see snow in the higher hills. 

Leaving Custer, I saw a little more snow, but no big deal. 

The stretch between Hill City and Deadwood was brutal!

Luckily, we have a 4WD truck, but there were still a few white-knuckle moments. This stretch has lots of ups, downs and curves. When driving in slippery conditions like this, the key is to go slow and keep your foot off the brake which can cause the vehicle to start sliding. And once a slide starts....good luck, especially if you are going downhill! 

At one point I was going down an incline at 35 mph when by truck downshifted. Next thing I knew the truck is sliding sideways down the hill. Luckily, I was able to correct it fairly quickly and got all the wheels pointed in the right direction and I made it into Deadwood itself which was still snowed in. 

Finally making it to Interstate 90 I thought I was in the clear. Nope, interstate's is where all the idiots drive and there was car after car in the ditch. 

The roads slowly got better until I was out of the snow and into rain. 

8 hours later, I was finally pulling into my destination for the next few weeks!

Upon arrival, Farmer Bob and I jumped into the truck and headed to town for a celebratory supper. It is good to see him and the entire gang up here. In addition to the regular crew, Chris's dad (and my good friend) Bob is up here, and they hired a new employee; Ty, Ty is a nephew of DeAnne and Farmer and used to live just down the road. He is back now and is starting his career in farming.  

The Sunday before I left Barb and I spent the day at home together, packing and getting things ready in the camper. The afternoon, we just spent on the couch watching TV. When happy hours arrived (which is really any time Sunday) Barb made me an Old Fashioned. 

I would think most of you know what is in an Old Fashioned, but if you do not here is the perfect short video to get you on the right track. Credit to my neighbor Jim for showing us the video. The only difference between the guy making one on the video Barb is that Barb made it with whiskey, so she must be from Illi-noise.

Up here at the farm, we have yet to get a seed in the ground. Still a little early. as the soil temps are not quite where they want them. There are a couple of crops they can put in the ground when it is still cold (peas/wheat), but there is plenty to do while waiting for things to warm up. 

Concrete for one. Actually, concrete for 2 and 3 as well, as that took the majority of my time this week. They are putting in a concrete pad for 10 more bins. Two pads; one 18'x10' and the other 18'x178'. That's right, 178'!

First, the dirt work. The first pad was pretty easy and only took an hour or two. The second pad took days and multiple truckloads of gravel to get the base all set.

We've poured the small pad, (left above and below) I did not take any action shots of the pour, but it went well, and we are happy with the results. The bigger pad needs a lot more prep work. We have the grade set and have started the form boards. Here is the thing about pad for grain bins; they are not your standard 4" slab, these slabs are 14"! As a result, you need lot taller form boards and a lot of bracing as you can see the start of on the right side, below. 

While I was busy with that, Chris, Dylan and Farmer Bob were busy doing other things. Chris and Dylan were cleaning seed for both themselves and customers. Cleaning the seed, takes out the impurities (rocks, weed seeds, broken seeds) so, what they are left with is just clean, plantable seeds. 

Although the picture above looks like a convoluted mess, there is definitely a method to their madness. Starting in the upper right, you see the red grain cart. The blue conveyor takes the seed from the cart and dumps it into the first cleaner which takes out the other weed seeds and anything else that might have been scooped up during harvest. The impurities go into the semitruck in the back left side, the good seed then go into another conveyor and dumped into another cleaner which sorts the seed by width, straining out any undesirable seed and dumping them into the smaller truck dead center. The final product goes into the semitruck closest to you and is either planted here on the farm or sold to another farmer. All the rejects either go to the elevator or sold to locals for chicken feed. 

Confused by that picture? Me too!

Meanwhile, Farmer Bob was busy scraping off the topsoil for a new driveway for their next project. (After the grain bins) This scraper is pretty dang cool, it is laser operated so you are scraping of just what you want leaving a perfectly level driveway, or banking it, if so desired. 

Barb and the girls are doing okay. I talked to her multiple times a day to see how her days are going. She has been down a few days with a cold and actually said she was glad I was not there as she is so miserable. I told her that if I was there, I would take care of her. She said, "That is exactly why I am glad you are not here". I am not sure how to take that, but I think what she is saying is that she does not want to spread her miserableness to me. 

That is it for this week! The next few days will more than likely be more of the same. Getting the seeders ready for the field, prepping more concrete and generally going to bed with a aching, sore body.

70 comments:

  1. We were in the path of totality for the eclipse, it was cool to see, but life changing? Not hardly, way over hyped. Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is so weird this time of year. Last week on this day it was snow. Today it was 75. I would prefer something just a tad bit cooler but will take this over that snow!

      Delete
  2. Yikes…I bet the pucker factor kicked in when your truck geared down! Always lots of work on a farm. Sure hope Barb feels better soon. Enjoy all the farm toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking to Barb on the phone at that moment. I remember saying "Oh sh#t, okay I'm good". That was about how quick it was as well.

      Delete
  3. Let’s hope better times are ahead. Weatherwise and for Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forecast for next week looks perfect for planting. I think we will get in the field!

      Delete
  4. Most times there is Ice that forms under the Snow. Glad you were able to keep control. Too many people figure it's the same as driving on dry pavement. NOT!
    Good luck helping on the farm.
    I think Barb didn't want to give the Cold, because, she'd be busy taking care of you.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up in MN and WI, we are very accustomed to driving on snow and ice. Slow and easy is the name of the game there!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a brutal drive. I've had a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fewer the better right? When we were younger, we would drive in treacherous conditions, not really caring if we went in the ditch. Nowadays, we are a little more cautious.

      Delete
  6. I know I'm not a local of the Black hills, so I have to give you some advice for free. We always take hwy 79 around the hills to avoid all of the mountainous roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love those hilly and curvy mountainous road, just not when they are snow covered!

      Delete
  7. We did not see much of the eclipse here, I believe we could only see a partial view.
    I enjoyed the photos on the news and internet, so I do not feel like I missed anything.
    I do not like driving in the snow, I would stay home. Too many crazies on the road. I hope Barb is feeling better. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that make me one of those crazies? I only passed 2-3 cars in that hour or so time period, so I would have to say "yes".

      Delete
  8. I have never seen a total eclipse, but I would be surprised if it were lifechanging for me. However, I have talked to people who were curious, but didn't expect to it to be as moving as it was.
    On to farming. I'm fairly new to your blog, so could you give an overview of your farming ventures. Do you have your own crops? Are you in a co-op with others? Do you have people who are farming on your land? I find it all very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give a brief overview of the farm in my next post. I have been helping out up here for 10 years now and it is part of the year I really enjoy.

      Delete
  9. It was cloudy here too, I agree how could it be life changing??? Have fun on the farm, it looks like a big operation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big operation to many, small operation to a few. It does keep us busy, so much to do!

      Delete
  10. Damn good photos, I think an eclipse is interesting but not that big a deal and yes I have seen one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen one too, I do not remember when and where it was, but I did think it was pretty interesting.

      Delete
  11. Quite the drive. You had at least two seasons that day. Normal for here too. Have a good season on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the farmers up there are getting ready for potato planting season!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like quite the adventure. snow is rough if you haven't driven in it in awhile. scary glad you didn't slide off the road.
    I missed the eclipse this time around as we a little cloud cover over the event, and I didn't pick up the special glasses either. I watched it on the weather channel. it is pretty cool to see I have seen a couple now in my life time. Not life changing for me though just pretty cool to see.
    have a good work trip

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure the eclipse is life changing, but totality was truly one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Sorry you missed it, but you probably would have had to travel in the other direction to see it. And wow, you did get some snow on the way. WE had a big dumping last week, and now it is gone. Winter just doesn't want to let go some years, does he? Have a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what the animals and other creatures think during the eclipse. Their total lives seem to revolve around the raising and setting of the sun.

      Delete
  14. I got snowed in at Buffalo Wyoming little over 15 years ago in late March going from Seattle back to Arkansas. In the morning they had I-90 shut down to the east, and I-25 shutdown about 25 miles south of Casper. But I was able to make it to US-26, eventually to I-80 somewhere in Nebraska. Those Interstates had so many cars off and into the ditches it was crazy. Of course, in Arkansas if there is a 1/2" on the ground, they shut EVERYTHING down. So where did I learn to drive in the snow? Sierra Nevada Mts and 4 years living in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do shut down the roads quite often, especially when the winds pick up in combination with the snow. We were driving home from Arizona a couple years ago and had to weave our way home to avoid all the weather and road closures.

      Delete
  15. Seems you were lucky to get to your destination in one piece after seeing those vehicles in the ditch.
    Good luck with the concreting.
    Many silo's there they must grow a lot of barley and wheat?
    Hope Barb is soon feeling much improved, not nice being unwell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main crops up here are wheat, peas, soybeans and canola. We can plant wheat and peas in the cooler soils. The rest has to wait until it warms up a bit.

      Delete
  16. I bet the farm work will help tone-up and offset some of that distillery/brewery bingeing you did on your trip, haha. That new bin pad is ambitious, glad things are going well for the farm. Good luck with the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you calling me fat? I think you are! You cannot help but tone up a bit while up here. My weight fluctuates by about 10 pounds over the year with my farm stays being my lowest.

      Delete
  17. We do not miss those nasty roads although going home in May we will most definitely see snow. That's going to be a lot of concrete!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully when you do see that snow it is on the peaks and not down low.

      Delete
  18. We did not see the eclipse either. Too cloudy. So I will never know if it would have been life changing or not. Winter driving is not for the faint of heart. Especially hauling or pulling a load like your camper. I remember driving down the highway in my 59 Coup D'ville one-time. I tapped the brakes coming up to a stop light and the car did a complete 360 degree spin. I came to a stop and said "Oh Yeah!" When I got home I cleaned my pants and called it a day. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going in the ditch in a car or truck is a bummer. In a high profile camper, no good at all!

      Delete
  19. Yikes….that was some travel day! I definitely do not have the nerves for that! Glad you made it safely. Looking forward to all the farming news…it’s hard work for sure, but we are all thankful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days are longer than the nights for sure. The good part is that I have no problem falling asleep after a long day.

      Delete
  20. Hmmmm ... looks like a perfectly organized farm parking to me!! Ten more bins ... yikes! That a lot more harvesting to be done. As for the snow ... I drove to Cody Wyoming in a snow storm. At least most of the people there know how to drive. Not me ... I think I slid most of the way. Looking forward to seeing if you get stuck this year!! LOL. Have fun and don't hurt yourself!! Barb needs you for concrete work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have another concrete job in our future at home when we pour that garage slab!
      It's fairly dry up here this year, so I probably won't get stuck. Right!?!

      Delete
  21. That’s why we’re taking our time heading north! I don’t like driving in snow like that! Have fun farming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan! I remember when we went in '16, we ran into a bad snow storm in Nelson in mid-May.

      Delete
  22. Running into a snowstorm like that while on the road is no fun. Glad you were okay. That feeling of the wheels losing all grip on the road is horrifying.
    You are going to be super busy for a while. I do hope Barb gets over the crud really soon. Some of the stuff going around hangs on for dear germy life--lol! Hope that's not what she's got.
    Enjoy planting season! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't seem to have that crud that has been going around. She seems to be getting over it already.

      Delete
  23. Ugh....your snowy roads, cars in the ditch pictures made me shudder....I'm glad we're through with that drill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is fine, come on up! Really, no chance of snow at all. Well, maybe a chance, a couple of years ago we got 17" on May 7th.

      Delete
  24. Yikes. I am SO done with snow! I'd hate that. I had fun watching the eclipse but life changing? Nope. Interesting. Definitely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a love/hate relationship with snow. I curse it at times but don't think I can live where there isn't any.

      Delete
  25. That did not sound like a fun drive.. glad you were good and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad I did not have to do that drive and thankfully you made it without mishap. There is always such interesting activity at the farm and I learn something new when you write about the goings on. That YouTube about the Old Fashioned was hilarious :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took learn new things each week. I pick a topic or aspect I find interesting and hope others find it interesting as well.

      Delete
  27. For me, a certified flatlander, your driving experience would have been a life-changing event. Happy you know what you're doing and made it safely.

    I forgot about the eclipse thingy until it was over. To compensate, I went outside and looked skyward (but not directly at the sun - that didn't seem like a good idea) and closed my eyes for about a minute. It was dark. I opened my eyes. It was bright. I didn't cry but I felt sad as I looked around and discovered how badly the yard needs some work.

    Best of luck with the planting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny right there! The lesson there is to stay inside with the shades drawn and hide from the outside world.

      Delete
  28. That driving a big truck camper on snow packed roads is not my idea of a fun day. Glad you made it safely. I still have a strong interest in the farming, looking forward to the informative posts.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i remember those white knuckle moments, but i have not driven a vehicle in years!! it didn't look like a lot of snow for you guys but i am sure other people are not as experienced as you are. the hubs is an awesome "driver in the snow"!! we will not be seeing anymore snow, it is definitely spring now. i did not see the eclipse, it was not visible from by bed as i was still down with covid!! i know exactly what barb is saying, if i have to be sick, i would rather be alone. i always feel terrible if chuck is here and missing out on fun things because i am sick!! you are a very sweet guy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have chances of snow into May. As a matter of fact, they are forecasting some flurries for this Thursday.

      Delete
  30. I find all of this very interesting. For starters....we NEVER have snow like you drove through. A snow storm like that would shut TEXAS down for weeks! lol. The pictures are beautiful and I would honestly love to spend some time in snow like that. Second.. not knowing anything about alcohol or any kind of drinks, I have never heard of an Old Fashioned. I did enjoy the humor in the video. This guy sounds like he knows what he is doing. So interesting to see how different parts of our Country do things and how the seasons are behind in certain areas. So glad I have found your blog. Jim and Barb...I hope you both have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the great things about blogs. I love to read blogs about things I have a common interest in. But sometimes the most fascinating ones are the ones you have nothing in common with at all.

      Delete
  31. That is all amazing! We are surrounded by farms despite living in a wetland. Hubby grew up on a farm without electricity and running water. A whole different ball game.
    This is epic. You have some skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a lifestyle to build some character for sure. I bet your hubby is quite the resourceful guy!

      Delete
  32. We didn’t get to watch the eclipse. We were right on the edge and didn’t see anything spectacular. I don’t watch a lot of basketball either but know enough about it to realize that Caitlin Clark is a phenom. Sounds like a doozy of a journey up to ND. Glad you got there okay after a few hair-raising moments. Husband’s ND cousins were in Washington DC a few days ago with the Veterans Honor Flight organization. This time they flew Vietnam Veterans in to see the city and all the Vietnam War Memorials. (We attended the one with my father-in-law and his brother several years ago (the brother also being from North Dakota and the dad of these two cousins. That was for WWII Veterans.) Husband got to meet up with his cousins between organized site-seeing tours and banquet. A nice visit as it had been a few years since he saw them, and he always enjoys their company. That sounded like a cozy evening with Barb before you left, and I hope she feels better now. I’m sure she wouldn’t want to pass those cold germs onto you. Always loving your posts and photographs. A fun read every time. Thank you! Thank you also for the roadster link. I am off to read that one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine went on the Veterans Honor Flight this year as well! And Farmer Bob went a couple years ago. Sounds like quite the experience.
      Barb is still under the weather, but feeling a little better.

      Delete
  33. Man what a drive! Horrible conditions. Looking forward to seeing the planting progress. And I agree, life-changing is really stretching it! Cool but had to be a boring life for that to be life-changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it! Our lives are soooo exciting it takes a lot for something to be life-changing. 😊

      Delete
  34. A hysterically funny video!! Thx for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like he has several videos, but that is the only one I've viewed.

      Delete
  35. Hello Jim and Barb :=)
    It looks like you have been busy. There is always work to be done on a farm.You manage to make life's challenges seem like fun, except for a few hairy moments when you lost control of the car on your drive in the snow, but even then you seemed unflappable. The eclipse went unnoticed by me, although I have seen two already, and it didn't get completely dark, I would compare it to a five thirty in the afternoon grey winters day, but it seemed strange when it became light again. I hope you Barb will get better soon, and I understand completely your desire to be alone and not pass on any germs to hubby.
    All the best to you both
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I enjoyed this post so much although I am playing a bit of catch-up and I'm not really sure what you're up to, hahaha! BUT I've caught on that you've been caught helping someone again, this time with a BIG project, and that is no surprise (you helping someone, that is). So sorry about the sketchy-scary weather on the way -- what in the WORLD, it's APRIL! -- and really sorry to hear that Barb had a miserable cold. I hope she's much better by now. Keep up the good work, haha! xoxo

    ReplyDelete