Saturday, May 18, 2024

So Much to do, So Little Time

 For those of you who live in the country and have owned cattle, you know that there are not many things that will meet the sereneness of watching your cattle in a lush green pasture. Well, we discovered something even more serene. Watching someone else's cattle in your pasture!

No expense, no stress of watering, vaccinating or caring for them at all. Just sit back and enjoy the view.  This was our view this week as the gate was opened allowing the cattle on our property. Well, half the cattle, about 20 cow/calf pairs.

Excitement/activities this week included packing and preparing the truck for our Great Alaskan Adventure. Many of you have probably heard of the fires in Canada. We have a little smoke here, reportedly from Canada, but the fire we are watching is in Fort Nelson British Columbia. We have friends who were in that area earlier this week and were forced to hunker down for a few days due to road closures. Then they had to turn around, take an 8-hour detour taking a different route when Fort Nelson was evacuated all together. As of today (Saturday 5/18) they say the roads could be closed for a couple weeks more!

We got out on an ATV ride on Sunday during a rainstorm filled with hail and lightening. Why would we do that? 

Picture if you will, Barb and I sitting on the couch listening to the pitter patter of rain on the roof while watching TV on a lazy Mother's Day afternoon. What a peaceful scene. That is until the phone rings, and it is the neighbor lady. That's weird, she never calls me. She probably wants to complain about her husband, and to be honest I do not blame her. I debate answering, nothing good can become of me answering... But I do anyways to find out it is not the neighbor lady, but the neighbor lady's husband. "Are you home?" he says. At least that is what I think I heard through the thunder and large cracks of lightening on his end. 

Again, debating answering truthfully, I say "Yes". "We are on an ATV ride and got a flat tire out in the National Forest, can you go to our house and grab our spare and bring it to us?". "No problem" I say. A few minutes later we received the texts below showing us exactly where they were. 

Each of these gray and orange lines are ATV trails. The stranded pair in peril are the blue dot. After donning our rain jackets, we set out to find the stranded couple. 

So off we went on a search and rescue mission! Wouldn't you know it, as soon as we hit the trails, the rain, wind and hail started to pound us. We both had to hold onto our hats as we got pounded. The worst of the rain was short-lived, but the resulting puddles were not. Since we were out, and already soaked, why not have fun? We hit those puddles with speed creating showers all around us. Some were a little deeper than expected, but none caused us any trouble. 

Barb mapped out our route "Turn right here", "Turn right here". As a matter of fact, I think every turn was a right. 
We eventually found them sitting alongside the trail. 5 minutes later, they were back on the road and headed back home. 

Later that afternoon we were back at their house for happy hour, or happy 3 hours where Neighbor Jim practiced his bartending skills with Moscow Mules and Manhattans. I practiced my culinary skills by preparing 4 ducks from last fall. 

Speaking of getting stuck. I got the John Deere stuck in the back 40 this week. In a precarious spot on a rocky hill in the forest. Day 1 found me getting it only more stuck, so I let it sit there overnight. Barb and I went back out the next morning and I finagled the Jeep back there between the trees and used it to pull it out. I was on the tractor, Barb in the Jeep with a strap between us. Even that was a little dicey as the jeep started to slip downhill while she tried to pull me out. After repositioning a few times, we finally got it out. I was so pissed off at the time, I did not take pictures. Now, days later, I wished I had. No more tractors on hillsides in the woods. 

Another unexpected low point on the week was when I somewhere, somehow came in contact with poison ivy or the like. Whatever it was, caused a nasty rash on my hand which proceeded to spread. I won't gore you with the pictures, but it looks about as fun as it sounds. I tried something that I had never done before, when I used VirtualMD through our healthcare provider. I went online, answered a series of questions and uploaded some pictures. An hour or so later, I had a diagnosis and a prescription into the local pharmacy. It cost $89 (which might be covered) and saved me a trip into town and I am sure a few dollars. 

Since I am confessing things gone wrong, I have to admit that I broke the top of one of Barb's vintage blue mason jars last week as well. I did not think it was really newsworthy until I received a package in the mail with a replacement lid from none other than Granny Sue! For those of you who do not know her, she is a fellow blogger from out West Virginia way. We have been following each other's blogs for a year or better. She is an antique dealer with a couple of booths where she sells her wares. She had blogged about restocking her booth and I mentioned being in hot water with Barb (again) for breaking the lid. What should come in the mail later in the week? A replacement lid! Bloggers are the greatest!

From lid-less                                                         to happy once again!
Another unexpected purchase this week was some slabs of wood from an on-line auction. We went down to Hot Springs to look at some 6"x8"x20' beams that Kevin might have been able to use on one of his jobs. They did not pan out, but when Barb saw some of the slab wood they were auctioning off, she just had to have some! She bid on probably 10 items, winning 5. A couple of redwood slabs, a couple of sugar pine slabs and a cedar slab. Each are about 8' long and 1 1/2"-2" thick. She has no idea what she is going to do with them, but at $1-$2 a board foot they were too good to pass up. 

They looked good when we picked them up, but when we hit a rainstorm on the way home, it really brought the color out!
We had one last hurrah with the gang when we all got together for burgers and beverages at our place. 
Oh, what a good time we had. Cheryl and Kevin gifted us an LED sign for the gazebo. An awesome addition!
After supper we played our dice games; Shake a Day and Sh#tbox. Barb was first up on Shake a Day and won when she rolled 6 of a kind taking home $9.25 for her troubles. On the Sh#tbox front we added a twist to the game. The winner, in addition to taking home the pot, got to choose a shot that the person with the highest score had to take. Barb, Bonnie, Vicki and I were all winners at one point and Barb, Kevin Vicki and I were all losers at one point. I wish I could have gotten a picture of Kevn's face as he took down that shot of whiskey. Priceless! We must have been a little loud as the neighbor to the east (1/4 mile away) texted the next day wondering why they were not invited over. 
It was one of the first nice nights we have had so far, making for the perfect setting. We finished the evening watching the Oilers and Canuks play game 5 of their series while I texted with my Canadian friends, Steve and Dave who are on the opposite sides of that battle. 

If you look closely, at the picture below you can see Dakota using the new raised patio bed for the first time. 
Friday night found us heading into Custer to attend a graduation party for the son (Sam) of a friend of ours. We have known Sam since he was 11 and it has been a pleasure watching him grow up into the fine young man he is today. We did not take any pictures at the party itself, but I did see his ugly mug on a banner in town. Gotta love towns where the graduating class is so small that each graduate gets their own banner on Main Street!
Saturday was the grand finale of our socialization for the week when our niece Alana and Ryan came to visit. Of course, they brought little Sophie and ever wild Loki. We spent the afternoon out in the gazebo watching golf, watching the dogs and catching up.

Dakota has become comfortable with her bed. Loki still has a cast after several surgeries to save her back leg. They are hoping this one will be the final fix. 
Zoey and Sophie played and played and played. It was not until a couple hours later that they finally settled down enough for pictures. 
And of course, a few libations were served!
I also captured a little more of nature when I was out and about. These first two are flowers, a bluebell (I think) and an I do not know what. It is pretty small, about the size of a quarter. These are the only two flowers blooming so far. 
Messing around taking pictures at the birdfeeder, I got this beautiful goldfinch and a pretty cool shot of a blackbird about to land. 
Last, but not least, this is for you Harry. How could you not love two pups playing?
That wraps up a busy week here on the homestead, let the Great Alaskan Adventure begin!

82 comments:

  1. You certainly had a bit of a bad trot there getting bogged and breaking things..done in 3's.
    Love the Lab. The gathering looks fun.
    Didn't know about the fires, hope all is well in that area with people..
    Take care and having fun getting ready for your latest adventure coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a term I have never heard of before, bad trot. But yes, I did have a bad trot. Hopefully my three are done for the year!

      Delete
  2. Wow, life certainly gets exciting in your corner of the world! Just as well you have serene cattle outlooks to enjoy :)
    All the best with finishing off preparations for your Trip. I look forward to seeing where you go. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so excited to hit the road, we are leaving a couple of days early!

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Your Alaska adventure sounds fun, I hope the wildfires will be under control.
    You are blessed with good neighbors and great blogging friends.
    Love your sweet dogs and the flowers. Take care, safe travels. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be watching the road closures very closely. There is no easy way around the fires, most of the alternate routes require hours of backtracking. Granny Sue is the greatest for getting me out of hot water!

      Delete
  4. At our previous house, there was a big farm behind us and we used to watch the cattle graze. I always enjoyed that - especially in the spring with all of the new calves. Hope the fires are out soon and don't affect your travels too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have loved the sights here yesterday. We had 10-15 calves running and racing through the pasture playing. Just like little puppies. Most of the mommas just ignored them, but a few walked after them mooing as if chastising for being to rambunctious.

      Delete
  5. You are such good friends with your neighbors and life is for sure not boring at your house. That ATV ride into the woods was an adventure by itself! Can't wait to read what is up next with you guys :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been blessed with good neighbors in our last few locations. We will miss our happy hours with them while we are gone.

      Delete
  6. Just a couple of observations. 1. Your neighbors look like they stayed nice and dry with the doors and windows on their Ranger. Do you have doors and windows on yours? 2. As an introvert, I cringe at seeing all of the people at your place. You should stick with the pictures of the cows and flowers. Have a great time in Alaska.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, door and windows are only for the rich and famous. We do have doors, but they are mesh and are not nearly as effective at hold out the rain.
      As for you being an introvert, that is a bunch of baloney. I know for a fact that you are going to hang out with 30 of your friends today until they all go home one at a time.

      Delete
    2. There may be 30 people here but I am hiding in the closet. No closet jokes from you!

      Delete
    3. So many thoughts, so many comments, so little time.

      Delete
  7. Aren't GPS devices great, and cellphones!! Good for you guys on the rescue! Whew, that's a lot of socialization! Love the wood slabs, beautiful colors! We've had some great weather too but it's about to change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are two things that I do not know how we survived without. We still use a paper atlas on our trips, but all the planning is done online.

      Delete
  8. Sorry, but I'm laughing about a stuck tractor. I know your pain. Luckily you have a fabulous talented wife who got you UN-stuck. As for the flat tire, I notice they have an ENCLOSED rig so they didn't get so wet. Very nice of you to help. Barb's slab purchases? Priceless ... I'm sure she will make something fabulous out of them. Good luck on the Alaska trip ... you wouldn't think the smoke from fires would be that bad, but it sure was the last time I went. Praying Fort Nelson is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. When we got the tractor out, I turned to Barb and said, "I could not have done that without you, and I don't know many women who could have done that". She is one of a kind, my Barbie!

      Delete
  9. Your estate looks so peaceful and love the gazebo bar. Can hardly wait to join you there. Several years ago we were on an ATV ride in Q and one of the machines got a flat. No way to fix it and no spare so we continued on. He made it 20 miles without breaking the bead! That’s some fine looking lumber. Safe travels to Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually carry a plug kit and a mini-air compressor, but in this case, it was on the sidewall, so that would not have worked.

      Delete
  10. Ah the Rescue Rangers! An interesting adventure in a storm to help out. The redwood slabs look great now Barb will have fun deciding how to best show them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those slabs came from out your way somewhere, so beautiful!

      Delete
  11. Pretty soon you can have your own song how the "truck got stuck pulling out the tractor" lol Great score on the wood, it looks beautiful. I'm sure lots of ideas are rambling around Barb's brain for fall projects. Your countdown has begun for your next adventure. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has not thought of anything yet, but when the idea arises, we will have the slabs ready and waiting!

      Delete
  12. What an interesting post. I love the photographs of the cows in the meadow.
    Enjoy your Alaskan trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so peaceful to see them out there. With them, comes flies, but that is part of the deal.

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed reading all of this! Stuck tractor, oh yeah. Been there. A neighbor once got his stuck in a pond, no idea how. Then pulled it in half trying to get it out. He was always entertaining!
    I am so glad the lid fit! Perfect.and another thanks to you and Barb for the "email"!
    Such good times at your place. The gazebo is a wonderful gathering place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of that happening more than once. I got the bidirectional stuck up at the farm a couple years ago and that tractor's two halves are held together by a huge pin in the middle. I remember Farmer Bob being concerned that we would split it if we pulled it too hard. Luckily, we did not and I was invited back the next year!

      Delete
  14. Have fun in Alaska, looking forward to following your travels. Our countdown is on, delayed a bit due to family stuff and now waiting on a new vehicle that is on a train on it's way to Tucson, then we hit the road for summer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully those items pass quickly, and you are on the road and have a great summer!

      Delete
  15. As always, you have much going on. It was nice to see Granny Sue mentioned,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I have never met her, you can just tell she is a kind and special woman.

      Delete
  16. I like the pictures of the cows... Wow, that is a small graduating class. My daughter just graduated with 525 students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read that she was graduating. Congratulations, you have to be one proud momma!

      Delete
  17. Saw that HUGE fire near Fort Nelson, glad you are on top of things there. I remember the year we went up there (same year you did) and there were some small fires near Fort Nelson and especially Prophet River area. We stayed in Fort Nelson, and the next day actually hit snow just east of Summit Lake (snowed for less than 10 miles). Envy you all for getting to go again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, what I remember about Fort Nelson is that we hit a snowstorms as well. We are much later this year, so we should be safe from that!

      Delete
  18. Some week you had. But it was so good of you to help your neighbor in time of need. So sorry you got poison ivy, but glad you got a prescription right away for it. The cows made me smile. There is a cow farm about a mile away, and when I drive to the creek, I see dozens of cows along the way. I can hear them in the distance from my home as well. What a pretty photo of the goldfinch.

    I hope all goes well with your Alaskan adventure!

    ~Sheri

    **as I'm new to your blog, I was wondering, who writes the posts, and who writes the comments on the blogs that you visit? Just a bit confused I guess. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb reads blogs but does not write them or comment on others. We usually start our days reading blogs, while watching the news and having breakfast. I take that back, she did write one several years ago when she went on a solo adventure, but only after much prompting on my part.

      Delete
  19. Love seeing all the cows and calves...and your new gazebo being put to use! That wood is gorgeous. Barb is the best. You two are good neighbors, so it is no surprise you also have good neighbors. And good blog friends to save your butt--lol! I hope the medication helped with the rash. Looking forward to your Alaska trip, but the fires are worrisome. We know you will be careful. Can't wait to see the pictures and videos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of right now, it looks like the Alcan will open a day or two before we get there in a couple of weeks. Barb is working on Plan B right now just in case it does not open.

      Delete
  20. You are so busy! I look forward to hearing about your Alaskan Adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things should really slow down now, just driving, sightseeing, hiking and relaxing!

      Delete
  21. Many of us have days when there is so much to do and no time to do it all, that is life, helping a neighbour can make us feel good about ourselves. The trip to Alaska sounds like it will be cold but fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hoping for mid 60's during the day and 40's at night. That to us, would be the perfect weather!

      Delete
  22. You deserve a Happy Three Hours after that! Well done, good neighbor and friend. And well done to Granny Sue, too. Yes, breaking a lid from one of those could be fighting words! It sounds like a wonderful and very busy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue was a lifesaver for sure! Now I do not have to be reminded of the mishap every time we see that jar!

      Delete
  23. I have a hate/hate relationship with hills and my tractor….especially in winter. No love involved whatsoever. Seat belt on, ROPS up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seat belt? ROP's? What are those? Mine does not have a seatbelt, the ROP's were down, they are now up!

      Delete
  24. You guys just have the *best* times! I say that a little bit snarky for the bad bits but mostly jolly for the good friends, parties and generous libations bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too are welcome if you are in the area! We will not see them now for 3-5 months, so we had to make the most of it!

      Delete
  25. I love how Custer hangs those signs for the graduates. They did that around here in 2020 and 2021, and then it stopped. But it is a big deal, and should be celebrated. and have a super trip to Alaska. I look forward to hearing about it. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there is a significant expense associated with those signs, but I think they are worth the money. We have seen them before in our town and others, but this is the first time we knew someone on the sign!

      Delete
  26. There are two patches of poison ivy on the island that I know of. Way too much for my liking.

    I am glad you could get something to help. Quite expensive though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is two more than I thought we had on our property. Now I know!

      Delete
  27. Joe and I love your gazebo! What a great place to visit with friends and family! I also love the view of your pasture! And the slabs of wood Barb got are beautiful…looking forward to seeing what she does with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it too! What we did not realize at the time is how the gazebo acts as a sound carrier pushing our laughter to the east. Opps. We now know and will make sure to invite them as well!

      Delete
  28. Your pasture is beautiful! Lucky cows and calves! Yay for Granny Sue saving the day with the lid. I saved her eBay store! I love eBaying! I'm glad you could help your neighbor out! I know they appreciated that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be awesome if people visit her store and buy something. She is such a would appreciate that. As we are getting ready to leave, I am already seeing that we are going to miss being home but are looking forward to the adventures in front of us as well.

      Delete
  29. Dearest Jim & Barb,
    Quite some adventures here and not easy to drive in bad weather...
    So happy that I took my Pieter on a trip to the West in July of 2022. My first segment was called: NOW or Never — Travel WEST with us and on the third day we reached South Dakota: https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2022/08/from-nebraskas-prairies-into-south.html
    Incredible nature and we would have loved to spend some more time. Our hotel was not the greatest, very limited choice...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post. You were within 10 minutes of our house when you were in Wind Cave! Man, was it warm for you though, that had to be miserable!

      Delete
    2. Incredible for being that close you your home... No, it was not miserable as we hailed from Georgia and both of us have worked in the hothouses of our Parents, picking tomatoes or gherkins when it was a lot hotter! The shower afterwards was always so good...

      Delete
    3. We do not do well in heat. A couple of our requirements when looking for a new place to live was low humidity, cooler temps and snow in the winter.

      Delete
    4. No winter for me... had enough back home and living in Pennsylvania!

      Delete
  30. What an exciting week!!! I know you’re ready for the Alaska adventure to start! See you down the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are headed your way, hopefully we will be able to meet up!

      Delete
  31. What an adventurous pair! :D That was nice of you to help out your neighbors and I agree about bloggers being great folks. ~nods~ Her sending a replacement lid was a lovely surprise. I greatly enjoyed all your pictures and tales. Your property and that patio are wonderful. Be safe and enjoy your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just left for our next adventure this morning! Looking forward to seeing some new sights and hopefully lots of fishing and wildlife.

      Delete
  32. Sorry to hear about the poison ivy. Looks like you still managed a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  33. what an adventurous pair you 2 are. i don't have enough friends or energy to keep up with you!! you are a very kind soul to help your neighbor, many people would not do that. i hope you and barb undressed in the garage, you must have been filthy!! hehehe chuck has gotten poison ivy so many times in his younger years, when we had our construction company, it is so not fun!! i am looking forward to alaska!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poison ivy sucks. It is diminishing, but still itching. You are right, it is so not fun!

      Delete
  34. Sounds like you had a very busy week. Sorry about the tractor and poison ivy. Jewel weed that grows wild here takes care of mine. It has a little orange flower and crush the stem and the liquid rubbed on the poison ivy generally dries up and it does take away the itch too. Well happy traveling to Alaska. Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Jewel weed before. The range map says it is in our area, I will have to learn more about it!

      Delete
  35. Yes Jewel Weed will help that Poison Ivy, you probably won't find it now, later in the Summer in wet areas. It is also called Touch me not...real name Impatiens capensis. We have a jar of the gunk from inside the stem in the fridge and I buy Jewelweed soap when I can find it. Turkey Foot Trading Co usually has it but their's has a fragrance. Hope you get on the way to Alaska soon! What a great adventure for you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh wow, hubs can relate to you and the poison ivy. He had a terrible case of it a few years back. Sympathies! Loved another great post, I'm coming back to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No good. I sure wish I knew where I got it so I could hunt it down and do away with it!

      Delete
  37. In case you are interested your blackbird about to land is a male Brown-headed Cowbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I almost said cowbird because of the brownish coloring on the head! If I remember correctly, cowbirds lay their eggs in other birds' nests? I thought I read that somewhere.

      Delete
  38. I'm way behind in blog reading but I do need to say thanks for the sweet Dakota photo on her bed. She is such a cutie:) Love the cattle in your yard!

    ReplyDelete