Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Holy Hoodoos!

Crossing the border into Canada or the U.S. always brings with it a certain amount of anxiety. Not because you are afraid of them finding something you are hiding or trying to smuggle across, but because you are not in control of the situation. Most of us like to be in control of our own destiny and not rely on the opinion or actions of others. 

We were about 10 or 12 back in line before they opened up another lane and we moved over. It seemed like every 2nd or 3rd vehicle was being pulled over for a detailed search. 

As I mentioned in previous posts, I have a routine that I go through every time we cross the border; pull up, roll down both drivers side windows, remove my hat, sunglasses and turn off the truck and hand them our passports. We never offer any dog paperwork unless they as for it.

Then the questions begin. Usually with "What brings you to Canada?" He asked the usual questions, tobacco, alcohol, do we have over $10,000 CAD, when are we returning. The last few times however, they got in depth regarding my use and ownership of firearms. "What kind of firearms do you own?" I wanted to tell him it would be easier to list the firearms I did not own but doubted he would appreciate my attempt to expediate the situation. He went on to ask what I used them for, do I ever carry them with me.... all of which he seemed to accept my answers. Then he asked one that I was not expecting; "Why did you drive and not fly?" What kind of question is that? The obvious answer is "We like to camp" but I did not think of that one immediately. "The dogs" I said. There were more questions; where are you staying in Alaska, how long will you be in Alberta, do you know anyone in Alaska, do you know anyone in Alberta, are you leaving anything in Canada. There were more but I forget them. 

In the end, he handed us our passports and told us to have a nice day. With that, we were on our way to our first stop in Alberta, just a few miles kilometers down the road; Writing on Stone Provincial Park. What a cool and interesting place!

Talk about Hoodoo city! We set up, took the girls for a walk around a couple of loops, put them away and Barb and I headed out to walk the hoodoos. The cool thing about this park is that you could walk anywhere you wanted in the main hoodoo section. Nothing was off limits. 

There were trails between, around, on top of all the hoodoos. The park is also right along the Milk River which made for even a more picturesque backdrop. 










Sorry for the picture overload, but it was so cool I could not decide which pictures to include and which ones to leave out. The next day we headed north towards Calgary. We stopped in Lethbridge at Pavin Park where we had lunch and walked the dogs for a couple of hours. It was right along the Oldman River and a great place to take a break on our journey. 
I have no idea what the bird on the left is, the one on the right is of course, a killdeer. 
Oh, I did not include this picture below because it is a spectacular picture of the swallow, I included it because the camera captured all the bugs as well. They were not biting, but they certainly were annoying!
We carried on and drove a couple more hours north to our Harvest Host destination for the night High River Brewery in .....High River, just a bit south of Calgary. If you are ever in High River, keep on driving and don't bother stopping. I doubt this poorly run brewery will be in business much longer. The beers, service and atmosphere were mediocre at best. 
The next day however was a hit! Ever since Barb had planned on our trip going through Calgary, she wanted to visit the zoo. And so did I until I discovered it was $100 for us to visit! But, as my Canadian friends would say, that is $100 CAD so in U.S. money, that is practically free. Hey, that is their words not mine!

So, in we went. We spent 6 hours walking the grounds visiting each and every one of the exhibits. Besides the diversity of animals, the diversity of people was equally incredible. I do not know how many different languages we heard, but it had to be over a half a dozen. Here are some of the highlights..... in no particular order....



I included these for Debbie in N.J. Do you know how hard it is to take pictures of flying butterflies?!?! There were more varieties, but they just did not cooperate. 

Have you ever seen a deer with fangs or canines? Well, now you have!






Did I mention the kids? Bus loads and bus loads of kids everywhere. Not to mention the countless parents with kids in strollers, wagons, harnesses, backpacks, frontpacks, you name it. There were kids everywhere! This short video of the polar bears (which were quite entertaining) will give you an idea of the kid factor. 
I wish Barb would have let me take pictures of some of the people there. That was as, or even more entertaining as the animals. We definitely got our $100 worth!

Our last stop of this post was in Drumheller, located within the Red Deer Valley, also known as Dinosaur Valley due to the number of dinosaur bones found in the area. While we did not find any dinosaur bones, we did find some very cool formations at Horseshoe Canyon, similar to our Badlands in South Dakota.
The girls stayed in the camper while Barb and I walked along the top ridge and down into the bottom. They say these formations were exposed 10,000-15,000 years ago when the glaciers melted in the area.
They have a very nice, graveled walking path down on the bottoms or you can take one of the many less traveled trails through the different cutouts.  We did both. 
Once we got to the end of the trail we were on, I pointed straight up and said, "I am going that way". "Have fun" was her response and we went in our separate directions. I am the white dot in the picture below, headed up. There was a trail, but it was a deer trail, not a human trail. 


From there we carried on into the actual town of Drumheller to a suspension bridge on the far side of town. Our first thought after stepping onto the bridge was that there was no way our B.C. friend Dianne would ever do this. It was pretty swayey (that right there is a new word!)
There were some hoodoos in the area as well, but after our last hoodoo adventure this one just did not measure up. 
There were a couple of free spots listed on freecampsites.net. We opted for Freson Brothers grocery store that came with its own T-Rex coming out of the building!
In the last post, Nancy had asked for pictures of our camper with the slide out so here you go. One from each angle. 
That is pretty much it. That is where we will be spending the next three months. How many of you think you could spend 90 days in a 100 square foot area with your spouse without killing them? Dakota spends most of her time under the table but does come up and lay on the bed occasionally. Nancy, if you look very carefully you can see the bottom edge of a familiar quilt in the left picture. The right picture is Barb making one of her "one pot" dishes. This one was called Italian Sausage Pasta cooked in the parking lot of the brewery in High River. 

We took a little unconventional way out of Drumheller when we took the Bleriot Ferry across the river a ways north of town. This cable ferry was free of charge. We were skeptical of whether or not it would take a truck our size, but we need not have worried, the ferry was plenty big!

It was a cool end to our time in the Drumheller. Oh, if you are looking for a dump station and water in the area, the Co-op on the east side of town has both.

We are now just south of Edmonton in LeDuc. The real reason we came this way. We are going to spend the next few days with our friends Dave and Leslie. I am guessing, this too will prove to be quite entertaining! 

80 comments:

  1. Looks like great fun. I will sit with your friend Dianne - there is no way you would get me on that bridge either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently Dianne has been on that bridge and only made it about 10'!

      Delete
  2. So excited to be able to follow along! Planning our trip to Alaska next July. Thank you in advance for all the great information!! Safe Travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reach out as you plan your trip. We make very few reservations. Denali and Homers are probably the only two I would make for sure.

      Delete
  3. i am surprised at all of the questions they ask at the border. chuck would be good at that job!! i have been to canada and do not remember getting a ton of questions like that!! i like a lot of pictures in a blog post, i am very visual. sometimes when i read, by the time i get to the end i forget what i have read. the yellow bird is a warbler. i connect with and am able to handle my butterflies in my hands because, well they love me!! hehehe - it is really because they are new to the world and do not always fly right off. some do, especially if they emerge overnight and they have spent a lot of time in the cage.

    i can't say that i liked the polar bear video, the children were overwhelming!! i have had similar experiences and they kind of ruin it for us!! i enjoyed seeing the inside of the camper and i would be able to spend a lifetime with chuck in that and still love him. we are together 24/7 now and i still kinda like him!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb and I kinda like each other as well. Other people ask us how we do it without killing each other.
      I try to write blogs with the pictures telling the story as I am more visual and prefer blogs like that.

      Delete
  4. So many wonderful photos, border checks may be necessary but they can also be stressful and invasive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is what it is. I am just thankful that we have the freedom to move back and forth..

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful adventure! Thanks for taking us along virtually.

    I had no idea crossing that border was that involved. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the list of places I have yet to visit in Canada.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the rest of your adventures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a new area to us as well, very interesting country!

      Delete
  7. Welcome to Alberta & Canada. I've been on that bridge and "swayey" is indeed an apt word. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is a beautiful province, love all the farm country!

      Delete
  8. Lots of pictures are great! Thanks for the pics of your living space, looks cozy to me. Dave and I actually get along best in small spaces like that, I know where he is and he knows where I am.....often a good thing. I wouldn't go over that suspension bridge either, unless fire was licking my heals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has their spot when we are in the camper. But if Barb is moving, it is up to me to stay out of her way.

      Delete
  9. Have a great time! See you second point I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will make sure we meet up somewhere. I have a fishing vendetta against you!

      Delete
  10. So much to learn in this post. Never have i heard of hoodoos! Not a fan of zoos, but I bet the kids were there on end of the school year field trips. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought maybe we'd be safe with a Monday zoo visit. I guess it could have been worse, there were only 6 or so buses. I am with you on the zoos in themselves.

      Delete
  11. Are u going to visit Nisku?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post! You are making it closer to Alaska every day! We lived in a camper smaller that yours for about 16 months when we were building the house. It was an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! Having to live like that creates a bond that will last a lifetime.

      Delete
  13. Oh I did enjoy this post of your travelling, love the photos the scenery/landscape so different to Australia. To answer you question: my husband and I have spent 3 and 4 months in our winter in our caravan together, it all goes/went well in that confined space.
    The zoo looks interesting and did hear so many voices in that video - well done.
    The border sounds interesting - and yes, they are in control totally.
    Safe journey and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you are compatible if you can spend that amount of time together in such a small space!

      Delete
  14. Hello,
    Wonderful collection of photos, the scenery is beautiful. I love the hoodoos. Your bird is the Yellow Warbler and I love the cute Killdeer. The zoo looks fun, those kiddies are really loud. The bridge looks spooky but I could go across it. Have fun, safe travels. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That warbler is beautiful! We saw one that was very blue too, but it escaped our camera.

      Delete
  15. I have been to Calgary, but not the zoo, and Drumheller, so it was nice to see your pics. Since I have recently posted about border crossings in the 70s, I am reminded why we stopped doing them for little outings anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things did used to be so much simpler didn't it? As much as things have changed at the border, think about the airports. Those, I really try to avoid!

      Delete
  16. I'm so glad you made it across the border. I am also happy that you are able to get out, exercise and get some fresh air. You are an inspiration to me. I will continue to follow your journey. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days it might take a little longer to get motivated than others, but it still feels good to get out and work the bones a little bit.

      Delete
  17. Wow, you're making good tracks. Enjoying the blog posts, thanks for taking the time. The hoodoo's looked cool and good for hiking around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the coolest hoodoo area we have ever been to. Definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  18. Loving this trip! Weren't you supposed to have someone go with you or is that next year? Zoos were ok when our kids and grandkids were small, but no desire to go anymore. That sway bridge would do me in LOL. Looking forward to the next blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original plan (in '20 or '21) was to go with my sister and her husband. We tried a year of two after that, but it just did not work out. This year, when we could finally make it happen, they could not do it.

      Delete
  19. Incredible scenery!
    You're certainly finding some unique things to experience. Which, I reckon, is the whole point of such a trip.

    I'd be hard-pressed to leave hoodoo-land. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoodoo-land was pretty darn cool. Just think, underground there, there are probably dozens of others waiting to be exposed.

      Delete
  20. So far Barb has done a fine job of planning your trip. I have enjoyed following and glad I wasn't actually in the Zoo but liked the photos of the animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She spends a lot of time reading and researching routes trying to find hidden treasures along our way!

      Delete
  21. SURPRISE!!!! It was so nice running into you two unexpectedly at Dave and Leslie’s. 🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, was probably the biggest surprise that we have had in years! So sneaky of you two.

      Delete
  22. Wowsers!! Incredible natural beauty, and it doesn't look like how I picture Canada so thanks for sharing :-) That owl is amazing. People watching is a favorite pastime if we have to be among others. I always cringe when we arrive to find school buses in the parking lot, but also grateful that the kids are still getting the opportunity to visit these places and learn valuable lessons (hopefully some of it sticks!). 100 sq feet or 3000 sq feet, I think you gotta like your partner to really enjoy life. Your camper is a great size for your adventures and it's those adventures that keep you both happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were commenting the day before we went to the zoo that we hoped there would not be any buses there. Of course we knew there would be and just had to deal with it.

      Delete
  23. 'River of Milk' to go with your Beer the first night, followed by "High River" where you brought your stash that you sneaked over the boarder! LOL What Zoo is worth $50 each (ok, even $36 US Dollars is a bit much) Our new motorhome (yep, signing papers tomorrow I hope) is less than 10' by 20'...we will see who kills who first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh ... Don't talk about our stash! Actually, it is legal up here so we would not have needed a stash.
      Take pictures of your new motorhome, can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  24. Great stops in Alberta. We visited Calgary (John's mother was born there) and Edmonton but didn't do any smaller towns except Waterton. Our main goal was our 20 days in Jasper and Banff. Love the hoodoo park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 days in Jasper and Banff would be awesome! We have only spent a couple days there and it was so crowded we could not wait to leave.

      Delete
  25. I have a couple of doozy Canadian border stories. I have never been asked about firearms or why I chose to drive and not fly into Canada. I have justified many a purchase in Canada due to the item(s) being *practicality* free taking into account the exchange. What a pretty area! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have a couple more Canadian border stories from my younger days when our vehicles were totally torn apart, set in an interview room and questioned for over an hour. I am glad those days are behind me, and this are much smoother now!

      Delete
  26. I agree with you about anxiety when crossing borders, and that’s a very good way of putting it. I am bookmarking your posts as I like the idea of making another road trip towards the end of this year and you travel to many interesting places. Nope, never saw a deer with fangs before! Loved all the travel tales and photos, so the more the merrier! Thank you! Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out our posts from the summer of 2022 when we went to Nova Scotia, that is not too far from you and a great trip!

      Delete
  27. The Border grilling was amazing to me. I think I might have been rejected as I likely would have said, "none of your business." Oh, well, you two are off to a great adventure. Catch fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So tempting, but I would like to continue to come across.

      Delete
  28. Swayey? No wayey, hahaha! You guys are intrepid. YES kids at a zoo, who knew! And you don't like crowds! But wow such wonderful animals! I wish Barb had let you take and post pictures of the humans, though! What a wonderful adventure! Can't wait to follow your progress for the next three months. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and sneak in some pictures of the human wildlife on upcoming posts!

      Delete
  29. Interesting that even though I have lived here for most of my adult life, you are showing me places I’ve never seen! Never stopped at Writing on Stone. Safe travels as continue your journey to the north and back.
    D&L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys are the best! Definitely stop by Writing on Stone, well worth the time.

      Delete
  30. Wonderful photos...I enjoyed them all. How exciting to be on the road for 3 months. I love this idea. I hope you continue to post pictures along the way. It is quite scary crossing the border into another country. Especially now days when you have no idea what could possibly be planted on your property or in your luggage. Have tons of fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I like to be in control of my own destiny, but at some point you need to put your faith in humankind and hope you are dealing with honest people.

      Delete
  31. I love your camper…great space for cozy and cuddling! I also
    I’ve your photos…especially the hoodoos! And the cliff walls are gorgeous! It’s an exciting adventure you two are on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we are very comfortable in here even with the two dogs.
      I never really gave much thought to how hoodoos were formed, but know that I've seen a few, it makes perfect sense.

      Delete
  32. Reading about the questions at the border crossing was interesting as we just returned from a 2 week road trip that took us to Canada. We also had some questions that begged a sarcastic reply, which we avoided. Re-entering the US from Canada we had hardly any questions, oddly enough. The hoodoos were amazing and a sight new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as though you had a wonderful trip as well. Oh, how we miss the mussels and lobster from that area!

      Delete
  33. Love all your pics. That is one place that I have not been too. But at this point in my life, I just need to see and do some more states in TN, eastern states. Enjoy all your trips..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is plenty to see and do out that way. Next time we go from Pennsylvania to Florida, we want to skyline drive.

      Delete
  34. Looks like the trip has started off with a bang. We've never had any trouble at border crossing but I agree they are a little never wracking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys go across more borders and customs counters in a year than most people do in a lifetime!

      Delete
  35. Amazing pictures!! Beautiful scenery!! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind comment!!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
  36. For some reason your blog is not showing up on my Reading List. Weird. LOVE the grizz ..... and the country is just spectacular!! Spotted that quilt corner immediately! LOL. I've been looking at camper vans ... tiny ... but you guys do it with TWO people in a small space. How hard could it be for me, a dog and a parrot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are showing up as Anonymous now! Oh brother, more computer issues. If I were you, I would look at a camper van over a truck camper as they are a pain to take on and off, plus in a camper van you have access to everything right there from the cab without having to get out and go in the back door.

      Delete
  37. I love zoos except for the snake house. I don't go in those. We had a camper but we never stayed in it for 3 months. I loved it except for making the bed. Jerry's sister and her hubbs went to AK in a camper smaller than yours and they are still married. Enjoy and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snakes, I can do, spiders, not so much. You comment about making the bed is funny as Barb looks like the bed is kicking @ss every morning when she makes it. She calls it her "morning aerobics".

      Delete
  38. We'll have to see if both of you come back from the trip and who is smiling more! lol But we love small campers and get along pretty well...most of the time so we would love it! The crazy rock formations at the beginning are my favorite! WOW! I would love to see those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good, we have not killed each other yet! Those hoodoos were so cool. In the area we are in now, it is mountainous, and the peaks still have snow on top. So cool! (Literally!)

      Delete
  39. Those rock formations are cool. And that sweet yellow bird is the cutest thing. The exhibits sound interesting. It's always great to see animals up close. Love that White Owl and Bear and Lion! Looks like you had a memorable trip.

    ~Sheri

    **Klamath Falls is in Oregon, if I'm correct, and that's about 4 hours from Mount Shasta. I live in northern California, and I'm very close to Mount Shasta, about 50 minutes away. That's why my photo of it looks as if you can touch the mountain. It still has snow on it, and it's always a beautiful sight to me. It is also close to my heart, as that area is my mother-in-law's resting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb has lived in or had family in Redding, Cave Junction, Grants Pass and Klamath. Such a beautiful area!

      Delete
  40. I enjoyed every photo; thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete