Thursday, July 4, 2024

Hanging Around Soldotna!

The definition of insanity (or is it stupidity?) is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. These words echo in my head as I am on my 6th hour of casting into the Kenai River without a single fish. It was Monday and we had parked ourselves at the Donald E. Gilman Kenai River Center for the day. The goal was to have a down day to get Barb healthy and back on her feet. 

“I am going to walk down by the river and see if anyone is fishing”, I tell Barb as she lays in bed with the chills. It is still a week or two early for the big salmon runs on this river, but perhaps there are a few early arrivers that need to be flossed. 

There are very nice walkways and stairs down to the river. 

Arriving at the river I see two fishermen, one is just leaving, and I ask him how he did. “Had two on, lost them both”. Well, that is not encouraging. I stroll down to the other fisherman and see that he has three on the stringer. As I approach, he catches another one that gets off after a couple of jumps that would have made the Flying Wallendas proud. 

We chat for a little bit, and I decide that I could either watch Barb sleep or go fishing. As much fun as it is to watch Barb sleep, I decide to get all my stuff together and go fishing. 20 minutes later I am back at the water just as that fisherman catches his 6th fish. I start tossing my line flipping and flossing as he cleans his fish at one of the table provided. He then asks if I can watch his stuff while he goes and puts his fish in the freezer. I continue flipping. While he is gone I made friends with this duck who stopped by to see what I was up to. 

An hour later he returns and starts fishing again. Now being uncertain if one can fish in Alaska after already catching a limit of fish. I raise an internal eyebrow and carry on with my flipping. Soon enough he has another one that he lands, and another one, and another one. By now I have been flipping for 3 flipping hours without so much as a hit! I move my weights up and down my leader, I cast further out, I cast closer in, I change my leader, I sharpen my hook, I change the amount of weight I have on my line. Nothing seems to be working. By now several other fishermen have arrived and although action is not hot and heavy a few of them are hooking into fish. I am getting VERY frustrated. 4 hours into my journey to hell Barb shows up with the girls. Notice that Dakota wants nothing to do with those stairs! A little while later she got a little braver.

She watches me for a bit and leave. She comes back in 20 minutes, pole in hand, wearing her waders.  “Probably not the wisest decision seeing how you're not feeling well”, I say. “I married you, didn’t I?”, she responds. I am not sure how to take that response and continue fishing. 

She stands next to me and within 15 minutes hooks one! It got off, but the pissedoffness in me goes through the roof! I caught fish in the Kasilof, why could I not catch one here?!?!

After 30 minutes she decides that coming out fishing was not a good idea as she has the chills again. I fish a little while longer before admitting defeat for the day (I am a slow learner) and head to the truck. 

Tomorrow comes, different day, same result. Then some lady starts talking to me, asking me where I am from.... if I have caught anything. Nope. She says, “Go stand by my husband, he’ll help you”. It just so happens that I saw this guy catch three fish the day before, so I know he knows what he is going. I trudge over there and meet her husband (who I later find out is Steve) and he says, “Let me look at your set up”. He looks it over and says, “Looks good to me, you must just suck as a fisherman”. Okay, he didn’t really say that last part, but it would not have surprised me at that point. Then he looks closer and says, “Why son, you have the wrong knot on your hook!” “You’ve got an improved clinch knot, you need to tie a snell knot on that hook, they spin in the water and hook the fish. Clinch knots don’t spin”.

 Although he is probably 10 years older than me, I feel like am 8-year-old as he takes my line, cuts it and adeptly ties a snell knot on my hook in about 10 seconds. “Try that”, he says. I try it and by God I had a fish on in like 5 minutes! I only had it on for 2 seconds, but it was on! Maybe there is hope for me after all!

 We fish together for 30 minutes before he has to go, he caught 2 in that 30 minutes and left me to carry on. I slide over into his spot and hook one before he is to the shore, but again it got off. An hour later I am back at the camper for supper, fishless, but with renewed hope. It’s 8pm by the time we are done with dinner and I tell Barb, “I’m going out until 10.”. 

As I approach the water, there is a younger couple (40’s) fishing and I ask them if they caught anything. “Nothing” is their response. I head over to Steve’s spot and on my third cast, I hook one. Please God, please God, let me land this fish. I grab the net and fight it, upriver, down river, I play this fish finally getting it close enough that maybe I can net it and it swims right into the net! I actually think even God felt sorry for me and sent me this fish! 

I put the fish on the stringer and notice the other couple is leaving. Barb shows up a few minutes later and says, “I just passed a couple who said a guy just showed up and caught one almost immediately”. “That as me!” I tell her, holding up my fish, I was finally THAT guy!  

The next morning, I got up at 5am went out for an hour. What a beautiful morning. As I am standing there, I look up and standing in front of me is a cow moose with a little tiny calf 40 yards aways from me. Just the other side of the dock in the picture below. No fish, but at that point I did not care. 

Later that day, we headed back to Ninilchik to have supper with Rich and Susan. I forgot to mention, last time we were at their house Barb and Susan did some stained glass while Rich and I were fishing. Susan is really skilled. Here is some of her work....


So, she and Barb set about teaching Barb how to do it. They went through different patterns and came with this mountain.
We are still a week or so away from the really from the salmon really starting to run. We need the counts to get into the 30,000-100,000 fish per day not these 5,000-6,000 we are seeing now.  
We'll continue to wait for numbers to increase, in the meantime we have another adventure planned later this week to visit some friends in the area!

60 comments:

  1. Oh, those fishing tales! They make great memories for discussing around a future camp fire somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why I blog. Otherwise I will never remember them!

      Delete
  2. It sure takes patience to be a fisherman! My cousin Tom and his wife are nuts about it, and fish everywhere they go--and like you they go a lot!
    I do hope Barb is feeling better. Guess it was her turn, since you were sick on your trip to Florida? The stained glass is gorgeous. Your friend is certainly talented.
    Here's to bigger and better fish tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily Barb is already feeling much better. The more I learn about stained glass, the more I appreciate it. It is a lot of work and you really have to know what you are doing.

      Delete
  3. I’ve never been “that guy” either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been "that guy" walleye fishing, but I have a long way to go in the salmon category!

      Delete
  4. There are free fly fishing lessons here. I tried that for awhile, but still have a spin casting set up and use a cinch knot. Guess I'll check out YouTube for Snell Knots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually use the clinch or sometimes a Palomar. The snell knot is new to me, but I am getting better at it!

      Delete
  5. Fishing for me is boring but that's ok no one is making me do it.
    Those stain glass works are damn nice, I really liked the look of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's boring for me sometimes too. But I like being outside and just contemplating life. Might as well fish while I am doing it!

      Delete
  6. On the surface, fishing seems so simple, but it is really both a complicated science and art. My father’s loved all kinds of fishing. Me, l don’t have the patience. Glad Barb is feeling better.
    Live and Learn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most fathers fish to get away from the kids and have some peace and quiet! 😂
      Barb is feeling much better and is ready to get back out there and show me how it's done!

      Delete
  7. I hope Barb is feeling better! You finally caught a fish...I bet it tasted good too! I wonder what the limit is in that area, I think it varies from waterway to area. The stained glass is awesome! That is quite an art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up. Limit is 6 with 12 in possession, so that guy was legal.

      Delete
  8. I knew you could do it Jim (cough cough). Those are some nice stain glass pieces that the lady made...I think your South Dakota Home is going to have a nice addition one of these days. Hope the Salmon numbers increase soon for you. Nothing better than those salmon coming into the waters of Alaska...a lady gave us some that year we were up there and they were to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had fresh salmon last night and yes, it was to die for! The numbers have no where to go but up from here, so we should be into some good numbers next week!

      Delete
  9. Hope Barb is feeling much improved.
    You certainly have patience and good on you for taking advice from an older man..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take advice from anyone with fish on their stringer. Old, young, it really doesn't matter!

      Delete
  10. Hello,
    I am glad you finally caught a fish. I hope Barb is feeling better! The stained glass looks beautiful! Happy fishing. Take care, have a wonderful day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Barb is well enough to get back out on the water!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. We don't have a lot else to do while waiting for the big runs and hopefully I'll have everything dialed in when they do get here!

      Delete
  12. Who would have known a knot would make such a difference. I looked it up how to do one. Easy and such a difference! That fisherman was a gem. Not everyone would be so forthcoming with such great info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if the knot makes the difference, but he's catching fish and I was not, so who am I to argue?

      Delete
  13. Glad Barb is on the mend--it stinks to be sick while out trying to have fun! Susan is one talented stained glass artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really knew everything that went into making stained glass art. A lot of tools, time and skill!

      Delete
  14. You actually CAUGHT a fish!! I'm so PROUD of you! It's about time!! So sad Barb was not feeling up to fishing, but at least it gave you a better chance!! LOL. Hoping she's feeling better soon. I can just TASTE that salmon!! And all because of how it was tied. I'm going to remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do I feel like you are using the same voice you talk to Cooper with? Like I'm expecting you to say what a good boy I am!

      Delete
  15. Glad Barb is on the mend. How frustrating for you to spend all those hours fishing and only getting one…an opportunity blown to beat Barb. But as they say… a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work! Susan is quite the artist with her beautiful stained glass. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan's stained glass and mosaic is super impressive. I can't even begin to imagine how many hours that took.

      Delete
  16. What a kind and helpful fishing couple teaching you new tricks. I hope this means you will catch your limit now for sure once they start really running! Sounds boring and exciting at the same time, but in such a beautiful spot it almost doesn't matter. I hope Barb is fit as a fiddle by the time the numbers are up. Let the salmon competition begin, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, it is silly to be fishing now when we should be waiting for the big run, but we are getting the bugs worked out and enjoying nature.

      Delete
  17. I guess it's about technique then, welp, now you know. Hope you'll be all "practiced-up" and have better luck when the run gets going full bore. I know Barb will love stained glass, it's very addictive! When I used to travel for work I would stop into a local stained glass shop, (they were everywhere back in the 90's), and pick up a sq ft or 2 @ $3 to $5 bucks apiece to throw into my briefcase. Not so anymore, much more expensive these days, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great, why oh why couldn't have Barb gotten into that hobby when it was cheaper!?!
      Perhaps I could steer her towards bird watching, that seems like a cheap hobby!

      Delete
  18. Those river walkways look good, providing safe access. Nice! And the scenery is always impressive. Congratulations on being "that guy"! I like the stained glass mountain. That'll look pretty in a window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several areas up and down the river with those walkway. It's really nice to have them. In a week or two they will be lined with people fishing salmon.

      Delete
  19. Fishing. It's the little things that matter. Me? I depend on luck. Thank goodness for grocery stores.

    Still, for this Florida boy, that salmon on your stringer looks mighty nice. And spotting a mama Moose with a baby, well, that would make me day.

    Fingers crossed Barb feels better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With mornings like that; they sunrise, the moose, fishing is really secondary.
      Right now we have enough fish for a few meals with friends, would love to get a dozen more or so!

      Delete
  20. This should make you feel better. I don’t even know what a snell knot is! Glad you got one! I just want to cast and catch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall show you on Sunday! That is if I can remember!

      Delete
  21. I have to say I would much rather be with Barb learning stain glass then fishing! lol...But I bet you enjoyed your time and I am sure Barb did also. Nice work both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She took pictures of all the tools Susan uses and her Amazon cart runnith over. That one little session with Susan is going to cost us a few hundred dollars!

      Delete
  22. What a really great story! And well done Barb (glad she was feeling well enough to come down -- maybe a positive permanent turn!) Love the stained glass -- all wonderful. Fish, friends, fun. Can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always an adventure, that's for sure. Now Barb has another new hobby she wants to explore!

      Delete
  23. Wow! I'm enjoying your tales so much. And the names are familiar, a trip down memory lane from our 1999 visit. As a side note, I like the saying, "a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work." :D Be well, stay safe, and enjoy your travels, my dears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a true statement! My feet might feel differently, as they are frozen from being in the water all day!

      Delete
  24. It's insanity and it's good you changed your diagnosis by getting some tips to do things differently! Certainly by the time all the fish show up you'll be pulling them out in bulk :-)))) I'm with Dakota, those stairs look daunting. Love the glass work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still waiting. 14,000 fish arrived yesterday. I am hoping for 30,000 counts soon!

      Delete
  25. I truly enjoyed this story as I found myself saying "Lord I know he is going to get a nice fish!" What an adventure you and Barb are on. I am excited to see all the fish that you're gonna get once they start moving more. The stained glass is beautiful and hopefully Barb has found her a new hobby for when she gets back home. I do hope she gets to feeling better...Keep us updated on all the catches...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb needs a new hobby like she needs a hole.... never mind, if she enjoys it, I am all for it!

      Delete
  26. Oh no. You definitely weren't the fish whisperer on those fishing days. But wow, that stained glass is gorgeous. Barb's mountain came out great. And I hope next time you get salmon fishing you get some fish. Have a super weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you, of all would appreciate the stained glass. There is a lot of work and planning that goes into each piece!

      Delete
  27. You make me laugh with your stories. Harold was the same way. He would fish until the cows came home with nothing to show for it but a pound of hamburger from the supermarket on his way home. Keep trying though. Someone has to keep those sporting goods stores open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between the bears, failures at fishing and hepatitis, it sounds like Ol' Harold had his challenges. Tell me, was he ever successful at bringing home wild game to ensure the family did not go hungry?

      Delete
    2. Harold was always a fair woodsman. His friends said he was quite similar to Davey Crockett. Success's were many but the failures is what we always remember and laugh at. Like you sitting in a cold river for six hours. Harold always said you need a Snell knot on the Kenai river. Good luck.

      Delete
    3. Too bad Harold didn't write a blog or a "How to" book. It could have saved me a lot of time and frustration.

      Delete
  28. I lived in Seward awhile when I was young. I think its maybe changed a lot since I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are heading there tomorrow, I will take some pictures so you can see!

      Delete
  29. I so enjoy your fish/fishing stories. What wonderful memories in the making you and Barb…I’m so sorry she isn’t feeling so good and hope for a quick recovery. The stained glass is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is feeling much better now, and ready to hit the water again!

      Delete