Sunday, June 30, 2024

There's Something Fishy Going on in Alaska!

Salmon, one of the most interesting and adaptable of all of God’s creations. One of a handful of fish that migrates from fresh water to salt water and back again. Did you know that after being born in fresh water, they head to the ocean and will travel thousands of miles in their 3–5-year lifespan to only return to their birthplace to spawn and die? Did you know that once they return to fresh water they do not eat? Their only focus is heading to their birthplace and spawning.

So how does one catch salmon on a fishing line if they do not eat? That is a story for later in the blog. For now, let’s talk about earlier in the week……

We had a couple of down, chill days the first part of the week waiting for the salmon fishing to get better. And “chill” it was, in the 40’s in the morning and upper 60’s later in the day. Man, we love days like these! Except when the wind picks up, then she gets a little too chilly for even us!

 We walked the Beluga Slough Trail with the girls one morning. Came across this young moose munching on the grasses. They do not seem bothered by humans at all.

 

Walked the beach a bit, enjoying the scenery.

 

Then we went for a tour and tasting at Bear Creek Winery. They have several scheduled tour times throughout the week. You just show up, no appointment, and they are free! Barb and I were the only ones at our time slot, so we basically got a personal tour. They have all fruit wines here (no grapes) so it was a lot like our winery back in South Dakota. We talked fermenting and wine making for about an hour. The similarities between wine making and distilling…well, they are basically the same thing with some slight differences. We had a lot to talk about. Very interesting.

 

Then we drove down the road for a wine tasting. $10 for 8 tastings, but you get the $10 back if you buy a bottle of wine. We bought two. The server said “I think you can bring 5 back home with you”. I said: “They will not last that long”.

 

From there, it was off to the one and only Harvest Host in Homer; Grace Ridge Brewing Company. Barb had a flight, I had a pint, before we settled in for the night.

 

The next day, it was halibut fishing day again! Rich had called earlier in the day asking if we wanted to go out the next day. Why, yes, yes we do! Arriving at the boat launch, we found Bob and Becky also waiting for our chariot to take us fishing. It was a perfect, calm day on the water. After launching we headed out about 25 miles to The Deep. We had great luck there last time, hopefully it will hold true again!

Bob and Becky
We had 3 rods out; one for Bob, one for Becky and one for Barb and I to share. Barb, over her fear of catching a big ‘but, or perhaps daring me to write a blog and dealing with the consequences, was a woman possessed on the rod. She took the first fish, the second fish, and many more. In fact, she has the bruise on her stomach where the rod butt was jammed into her belly while she reeled to prove it! I reeled in a couple myself, but I think it is safe to say, we are probably tied in the who caught the most halibut category.

 

She did take the lead in another category though when she caught “Codzilla” The biggest cod that ever terrorized the waters of Alaska. Well, maybe not that big, but a very nice cod. There is a little controversy, however. I say that “Cod” does not count as it was never a targeted species. She, on the other hand, says she is ahead on yet another species of fish. We’ll agree to disagree on that one.

 

Susan even got in on the action reeling in a few. Rich, he is content watching the smiles on other peoples faces as they reel in fish. He kept saying “My foot hurts, you reel in it”. I am still trying to figure out how a sore foot prevents one from reeling in fish. A mystery I have still yet to solve.

No idea what these waterbirds were
We were joined, or I should say, we joined Royce who was out there in a boat of his own with his sister and two of her friends.

 

Before we knew it, we had our 12 fish limit. Again, no big ‘buts but lots of great eaters!

 

Since it was still somewhat early we boated over to the remote village of Soldovia, accessible only by boat or air. We were going to walk the town, but it was so busy, there was no room at the docks.

Instead, we took a leisurely drive back to Homer where we cleaned the fish before heading to Rich and Susan’s to package them and spend the night in their driveway. We now have the 50lbs we wanted to ship some back home. We are shipping it to Kevin’s house, hopefully there were will a few fillets there for us when we return!

 

Project Halibut complete, we set our sights on salmon. But first, speaking of “Projects”. Operation PD is in full force back in South Dakota. Apparently, the first prairie dog called in reinforcements and there is an all out blitzkrieg going on between Neighbor Jim and the enemy. It is still too early to tell, but I did receive this picture and coded message from Jim. Not sure exactly what it means as I am still trying to break Jim’s code, as I am sure, so are the prairie dogs! As you can see from the picture above his message, he is consulting old war movies for advised tactics.

 

Now, to the salmon! How does one catch a salmon that does not eat? It’s called flossing. A method where you throw your line in the river let it float downstream for a bit and pull it back in. Salmon swim upriver their mouths are open. The idea is to put your fishing line in front of the salmon in such a way that the salmon swims into the line and it goes in its mouth. As you pull it back in the salmon gets hooked in the mouth. The problem is, is that you cannot see the salmon, so it is like shooting in the dark trying to hit a moving target. Now this video I posted last week of Barb demonstrating how to floss might make more sense. 

Skill? Some. There is technique. How much weight, how much line, where you throw you line, when you pull it in….

There are literally thousands, sometime tens of thousands of salmon in the water and eventually, if you are lucky, you will hook one. BUT it has to be hooked in the mouth. Tail, side or anywhere other than the mouth the salmon has to be released.

 You also need to watch the tide charts and fish counts.  They actually have sonar that counts the number of fish coming into the river from the ocean. The migration is the heaviest during incoming tides increasing your chances for success. You can fish for hours catching nothing, then all of a sudden, a run comes through, and it is mayhem! The fish counts tell you how many fish entered this river that day, so hopefully you can target your fishing days on the biggest fish count days. Confused yet? So are we!

 So, we hit the Kasilof River. The counts had been good. We stood along the banks with the dozens of other fisher-people trying to floss a few wide-mouthed salmon. Each cast, or drift, takes about 8-10 seconds, making for about 6-7 casts a minute, anywhere from 360-500 casts per hour. For hour, after hour, after hour. You are bound to snag one of the thousands of fish swimming up the river, right? We hooked rocks, we hooked ourselves, we hooked each other, we hooked other fisherman, we hooked the carcass of a filleted salmon that someone upriver threw in the stream, everything but a d@mn salmon. Until finally, Fish on! You are so shocked by this point you don’t know what to do as this salmon speeds upriver or down river.

I hooked and landed our first salmon of the year!

 

I was ecstatic. Not only did I hook it, it was in the mouth and we landed it! I was up in the salmon category 1-0! The smugness on my face lasted exactly 30 minutes when Barb landed not one, but two fish in short order. We went in for lunch about 2pm with 3 fish.

 

By now we had found a nice little sandbar that was out of the way and secluded with 10-12 other fisherman on it. Here is the other thing that is cool about salmon fishing. You meet some really interesting people. Some people will talk while they are casting, others just focus on the task at hand. Our group was very talkative. Two of the guys were from Switzerland, the rest of the guys were a group from Lakeview Oregon. Each time we went out it was always the same group of people and over the course of three days we got to know each other pretty well. If one hooked a fish, the rest of us stopped fishing, cheered them on and netted it or got out of the way of the battle.

 

We went back out at 8:30pm in anticipation of the next high tide. Same group of guys, same chatter. It was not long before I had one on and was trying to drag it up onto the sand bar to land it. One of the old boys from Oregon was trying to net it. Try after try he missed this fish. Man, that thing was elusive! All his kids were giving him crap for his horrible netting skills before he eventually got it in the net! One for Jim! A few minutes later I hooked another, and then another! We had a blast, a group of guys (and Barb) having the love of fishing in common, chatting it up.  We returned home just before midnight with my 3 fish. 4-2 go Team Jim!

 

The next morning Barb woke up with a cold. I guess all those long hours standing in the cold river caught up with her. But she went out anyway! We were back out on the river at 9am awaiting the 10:40 high tide. It was soooo slow. Same group of people, no one was catching anything. Not us, or anyone around us. Some were wondering if the commercial netters were in front of the mouth of the river. That does happen and they do allow it.

 We went back to the camper fishless, read and napped in anticipation of the 11:30pm high tide. I headed out at 8:30pm, alone, to meet my friends on our now familiar sandbar. This was to be our last outing for a few days. When I arrived at the sandbar, just the two Swiss guys were there. They stopped fishing and we chatted for about 15 minutes, me trying to understand their broken English, them trying to understand me, but we seemed to convey most everything we were trying to say to each other.  Soon we see the Oregon boys trudging out to the sandbar and we decided it was time to get to work and set about casting. Over the next 3 hours several fish were landed. One by the oldest guy in the group. He had to be in his mid 70’s. Everyone cheered for him when it was netted as he spends more time just sitting in his chair than fishing. Me? I landed one more too before saying goodnight to these people who I knew I would never see again but will always have the memory of and that unspoken bond of sharing a river with good people. 

58 comments:

  1. Good evening, you all are having so much fun! I did not know that about salmon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hesitated writing those facts about the salmon as it is so well known to me. Now I am glad that I did!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the salmon lesson, I had no idea! Barb rocks fishing! Have a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, salmon fishing sounds intense! Haha! Once the charts came out, I knew I'd be lost trying to understand it all. But that's cool that y'all caught some and met some great people. It sure looks beautiful out there. Codzilla sure is big! Barb did indeed get a head start on a new species! The winery looks like a fun experience. I have to ask, are prairie dogs the same as whistle pigs? When I spent a summer in Mammoth Hot Springs we saw "whistle pigs" everywhere. They would even come up and take food from people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Whistle Pigs before, but after doing a little research I'd have to say no as the Google came back with groundhogs or marmots. On the other hand, if you were at Mammoth Hot Springs, you were more than likely feeding prairie dogs.

      Delete
  4. I'm enjoying looking at those big fish and wish I was eating some of them. Smiling faces tells the story your end. How interesting about the salmon and what they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far we've had a couple meals of lake trout and halibut. No salmon yet. But what we did have was very good!

      Delete
  5. The salmon fishing sounds like awesome fun, and great to share it with kindred spiritis (even if you don't ever see them again!). I also did not know that was how you fished for them (you learn something new every day!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct on all accounts there. The Swiss guys fly back today, but who knows, we might run into those Oregonians again!

      Delete
  6. All this reading of fresh haddock and salmon has my mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it though? We are fighting the urge to eat it all here, but really want to save it for when we get home!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you two have lots of fishing stories to take home. I enjoyed all the photos, the moose and the Eagles. Your unknown birds in flight look like Black Guillemots. Congrats on all your catches, great fishing. Happy July! Have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked them up and that's definitely them. I have never heard of them before, but they are quite common here.

      Delete
  8. I would not do on trips with you....I don't eat fish. lol....nice pics though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I suppose we could find you something else to eat. There are a lot of roadside stands advertising Reindeer Dogs!

      Delete
  9. I knew very little about salmon, so learning about their life cycle was interesting. What did you do with the salmon you caught?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seven we have so far are in our freezer. If we get much more, we will have to ship it back.

      Delete
  10. I now know a little about salmon fishing and also how a winery in Alaska might work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I do not think the wines are nearly as good as grape wines, but one has to make due with what they have and they do a good job.

      Delete
  11. I hope Barb is feeling much better. How nice to be able to experience those cooler temps for a day or so. There really are some nice people in this world and all it takes is a conversation starter to come across such people. Salmon fishing is definitely a great topic to talk about. I had no idea that so much effort was needed to fish for Salmon. I also did not know that they do not eat at that point. Your big ol fish was quite a catch and I'm guessing it was quite a thrill bringing it in. Alaska is such a beautiful place. Sam and I will be so excited to go back and explore things we did not get to do when we were there. Keep these post coming as so many of us are enjoying this trip along with you and Barb. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our friends Steve and Debbie are up here this year and doing more touristy stuff. Here is their blog if you are interested: https://downtheroadwithsteveanddebbie.blogspot.com/?m=1.

      My offer still stands, send me your email address and I'll send you our excel spreadsheet itinerary..

      You'll love it up here!

      Delete
  12. Did you use "Campground Fred Meyer"? And just to be clear from my viewpoint, in regards to your "quip" a week ago about everyone being on "Barb's side". Not that I am routing for Barb, just a logical choice...that woman is a fish magnet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are at Fort Fred Meyer right now! They have a dozen or so storage containers so that takes up most of the space, but there is still quite a few rigs here.

      Doesn't anyone believe in the underdog anymore?!?

      Delete
  13. Salmon has to be my all time favorite thing to eat…I’ll take it over chicken, beef, and pork anytime & anywhere every time. We have it several times a week…pan fried, oven baked and I even get the smoked salmon. I love your story about salmon fishing and I just know you and Barb will enjoy several yummy meals reminiscing about your salmon adventure! Love the pups at the beach and the baby moose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing beats a good steak for us. But salmon is in our top 5 for sure. Our favorite is on the grill with butter and seasoning. Yum!

      Delete
  14. Now I'm educated about salmon--I did not know any of those facts! You guys are catching the fish! Get those prairie dogs! Did you know there is actually a Prairie Dog Town State Park in Big Timber, MT--what was someone thinking???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I think he has them at bay or at least keeping them under control until we get back and I can put a few tablets down their holes

      Delete
  15. And BARB WINS!!!!! Yes??? I didn't think flossing was legal ... but I guess that was in Arkansas or somewhere. What a haul ... and that Codzilla!!! Now I'm craving fish and planning a trip in 2025 so I can go 'BUT fishing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely go 'but fishing! Some places allow all out snagging later in the season. I suppose they figure all the salmon are going to die anyway, so why not

      Delete
  16. I'll bet Kevin has a chest freezer handy for the 50# - that's a lot of halibut! Way to go. I think I might lose interest in the flossing activities. Hope Barb gets over her cold in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can get boring if there is no action. But the scenery, wildlife and other people make the time go fast.

      Delete
  17. Spent my years till Naval service in Washington state eating FRESH caught salmon and trout. I've never really developed a taste for the farm raised frozen at grocery store. I'm so jealous! Sure enjoying my vicarious journey on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While fresh caught is the best, we still enjoy farm raised salmon as well. I am willing to bet your grocery store has some wild caught in their cases this time of year!

      Delete
  18. Great post. I enjoy reading of your love of fishing. My father-in-law always fished Atlantic Salmon in Newfoundland, hours flicking the line out and back. We imagine his heaven is on a salmon river!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was researching and verifying what I thought I knew about salmon I also learned something else. Although Atlantic and Pacific salmon are related, they do not interbreed.
      Who knew!

      Delete
  19. Wow! I never knew that was how it is legal to catch a salmon! Funny--I have eaten halibut but never knew what they looked like--lol! You guys really made a good haul.
    I hope Barb is feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halibut are not the prettiest fish in the ocean, but they sure are tasty!

      Delete
  20. I remember first learning about and being amazed by the salmon life cycle, but this is the first I've heard about how they're caught this way. Cool! The scenery there is gorgeous. All your fish look huge to me 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all decent size fish. Only the mature adults ready to spawn return to the rivers.

      Delete
  21. You guys have done well! We haven’t gushed for salmon yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you guys should hit it perfect. You will be here during the peak of the run.

      Delete
  22. You two are quite good teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone has ever accused us of that before. My teachers would be laughing at that statement.

      Delete
  23. Wonderful photos and happy faces.
    Lately I cannot concentrate on long posts I turn out or find myself just staring at the screen, so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be annoying, but I know from your blog you are a fighter and continue to battle your condition!

      Delete
  24. My late husband Harold loved to fish. The way you describe it makes me think that I am listening to him. Bless your soul. It was never the same for him after we left Alaska. He tried to fish the Chicago river but caught nothing but garbage and hepatitis. I can't wait to read about the next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like Harold should have never left Alaska. I am surprised he didn't drag up a few dead bodies when he was fishing the Chicago!

      Delete
  25. Looking at your map, you stopped in Soldotna. That's where I order my fish from. As a matter of fact I have an order arriving tomorrow with Halibut steaks, Copper River Salmon, and True Cod. It's always overnight shipping and arrives 24 hours from the shipping time. The only fish we eat now. What type of salmon did catch? Thanks for info on salmon fishing. Glad to see the girls got for a hike, as well. Hope Barb is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We in Soldotna right now! We are fishing sockeye out of the Kasifol and now the Kenai. Not as good as the Copper River sockeye, but still mighty tasty!

      Delete
  26. So many good things! Wine tasting, good food, fabulous fishing (what a haul!) and gorgeous territory. You definitely can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it doesn't get much better than this! Although, I would love a few more salmon on the end of my line!

      Delete
  27. Glad to see the combat fishing is going well for you guys. So glad the life cycle of a salmon isn’t the same for us humans. 🤣 Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez, what a horrible thought. I'm walking down the road and there's Steve laying dead. I turn to Barb and say, "I looks like Steve spawned last night".

      Delete
  28. Love seeing your blog and all the pictures! What a great trip you are having! Used to go to the fish hatchery on field trips when the kids were in grade school (yep, long time ago) but I don't remember any of the life cycle story, so very interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just find amazing that they find themselves back in the same stream, the same area that they were born!

      Delete
  29. Fascinating salmon facts! I can't wait to tell my TG about this. Congratulations to both you and your semi-nemesis Barb on your splendid catches! Still Team Barb over here! Not least because I saw Miss Pony Tail flirting with you, hahhahahaaaa! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing semi about it. She is my full on nemesis when it comes to fishing!

      Delete