Sunday, September 8, 2024

Brrrr!

The roller coaster ride that is our weather continues ranging from 90's to 60's with lows in the 40's. We have not had a frost yet, but it is not too far off. I prefer 60's to 90's any day, but waking up in a chilly camper sometimes makes me rethink that. I could turn on the heat, but I am too stubborn. 

Peas, done. Wheat done. Canola done. I cannot say that things are going smoothly, but we are getting there acre by acre. Flat tires, broken gear boxes, burst hydraulic hoses, rocks, shear bolts. Many obstacles getting thrown at us; it seems like we have not had a trouble-free day yet. What have I contributed to these obstacles? A few, but I am saving them for my last farm post so I can take all the ridicule and harassment at once rather than spread it over a few weeks. I will mention this one right now however as it was pretty intense. Farmer was combining canola when he smelled smoke.

Smoke+Combine=No good. So, he booked it over to the service truck, got out and found smoke pouring out of the back end of his combine. Over the next hour and a half, we fought embers that were burning throughout his combine. Residue and chaff build up everywhere as you go through the field and somehow about 20 spots throughout his combine were smoldering. We don't know if it was an electrostatic charge, or one hot ember started all the others, but it was intense. The embers we got off the combine landed in the field catching that on fire. Eventually we got everything out and we were whooped. He went home to hose off the entire combine and was back a couple hours later to finish the field. 

Next up, chickpeas, roughly 200 acres or so. Why God created chickpeas (also known as Garbanzo beans) I will never understand. 

chickpeas

I have never had anything with them in it that tasted even halfway decent. Oh, Barb loves her hummus. Probably because it is one thing she does not have to share with me: gross. Falafel? I don't think I have ever had one, I am a Scandinavian boy from the Midwest, meat and potatoes for me. 

Up until this week, I have pretty much just been trucking from the field to the farm or the field to the elevator. When you first "open" a field, we park the trucks just inside the approach and load there. As the combines get further and further out in the field, we move out there with them. If you have a minute and 15 seconds in your life that you just don't know what to do with, you can watch this video of me driving the semi out in the field. 

Surprisingly smooth. Often times you arrive at the field just as the next truck is loaded, so you just switch trucks and carry on back to unload. Truck, after truck, after truck all day long and well into the night. 

We are down to 5 people right now with Bob S. going home for a few weeks before coming back up. As a result, I switched jobs from trucking to carting. As many of you know from previous years, carting is the process of taking the grain from the combine and putting it into the semi. 

I sit and wait for the combine to fill up. There are lights that start flashing once the combine is getting full alerting me to the fact that they will need to be dumped soon. A bit longer, they will put out their unload auger telling me it is time to unload. I have to approach the combine from the left side staying within 2-3' of it so the auger is over the cart. See that combine header? That is just a few feet off the back track of my tractor. It is worth more than most people make in a year, and you certainly do not want to hit that! Beside the fact that it would bring harvest to a standstill. 

Once the cart is about halfway full or so, I make my way over to the semis and dump into one of them for the driver to take to the farm or elevator. 

This is probably my favorite thing to do up here. Maybe not, I do like trucking too and other tractor stuff. I guess I love multiple things. I just haven't had much of an opportunity to cart the past two falls so right now it is my favorite thing to do. 

It does provide me the opportunity to take a few pictures and this little video while I wait. This video is only 41 seconds. I think it is mesmerizing how these combines gobble up the field and spit everything out except the grain. 

There was a farmer harvesting in the field next to ours one day and I sat there watching him I could not help but feel sorry for him. He was doing it all himself. He would combine until his hopper got full, then he would drive it over a 1/2 mile to his truck and dump into his truck before heading back out into the field and harvest some more. Once his truck was full, he would park the combine, walk over to his truck and take it to his farm to unload it. No additional help whatsoever. 

Even with all the help we have here 10 acres/hour/combine is about all we can get done. This guy doing it all by himself was probably once getting 3-5 acres done an hour. Made me want to go over there and help him, it is going to take him forever to get done!

They also got a new toy since I was up here last. Some of you may remember, it is this time of the year that they need to change the tires on the sprayer from crop tires to the fatter tires. In years past they had to use the forks on the bobcat to do this. No more! They still use the bobcat, but now they have this fancy tire grabber! They also got a new wire-feed welder as there is always something to be fixed. 

The highlight of my week? Well, there were a couple. The first one occurred when I dropped a truck off in Garrison and DeAnne had to pick me up. The first thing I asked her is if she wanted to go to Dairy Queen. When she said "Sure", I asked her if she had any money as I didn't. That worked out well for me!

The next was when we got done early(ish) one day and Farmer Bob asked if I wanted to have happy hour. One does not have time for happy hour most days, so the answer was a definite yes!
As cool as those highlights are, they pale in comparison to this one. Barb said she was thinking of coming up for a few days to see me and baby Tessa. I am pretty sure it was mostly baby Tessa as in previous years she never offered to come up. This set into motion a whirlwind of cleaning. Holy crap, did I have some work to do. Sweeping, scrubbing, cleaning, laundry. As a matter of fact, I better wrap this up as she will be here at any minute. 

Speaking of Barb, she got one more project done at home when she stained the entryway to our property. In the picture below, she was halfway done. The wood on the right is stained, the left, yet to be stained. She says it looks good, but now the wheels blend into the wood too much so she may have to spray those black. 


This last picture is of Ol' Remy (Remmington). He is almost 13 and is having a harder time getting around. Most days he just lays around and passes the day. But on this day, Chris brought him out into the field while we were working on stuff and he wandered out into the canola hunting up some birds. It was bittersweet, you could see his youthful mind wanted to get out there and kick up a few pheasants, but his body fought him every step of the way as he limped his way through the field. I could not help but wonder if that will be me someday. Having the want and desire, but not the physical ability. I suppose it is the fate for each and every one of us at some point. Regardless, what a life. Life is good at the farm.
That's it from the farm next week, next time you are driving down the road and see a combine out in the field with its lights flashing, you will now know that his hopper is almost full and the cart guy (if he has one) will soon be back to take his grain!

76 comments:

  1. Ha ha. I had to laugh about your chickpea comments. My husband would say that. I'm a Scandinavian girl from New England and I like them, so I guess we can throw out the Scandinavian part-grin. And wow. That view from the driveway is sure flat and grassy. That's one reason I like visiting that area is that it is so different from where I live. The wheels look good to me. Have a great new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your husband and I would get along well! We can have steak while you and Barb eat peas. Win/win!

      Delete
  2. My husband won't eat humus either I do like it once in awhile, I started putting the canned garbanzo beans into soups-he will eat them that way.
    Farming is hard work I helped out when I was a teen at my Grandpa's farm but he only had 80 acres total he did raise cows for milk, chickens, hogs, steers etc. sometimes I can still hear him calling in his milk cows-smiles.
    happy new week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh, I too helped out on a dairy farm when I was younger. I totally just heard the farmer yelling: "Come boss!"

      Delete
    2. I could never be a livestock farmer. Adds a totally different element that is way too much work.

      Delete
    3. I agree-animals are a lot of work-and a big responsibility

      Delete
  3. Except for the hard and dirty work part, I always want to drive tractors and "play with" the big farm equipment! Thanks for getting those chickpeas on their way to my house - I'm a big fan :-) Hard to decide which sounds better - DQ or HH - guess the weather would help me decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about it we load up one of the semis, drive down to Arizona and just dump it in your yard. That should keep you in chickpeas for a while!

      Delete
  4. thecontemplativecat here. Boy, that sure brought back memories. I grew up on a farm in the 50s & 60s. Your equipment is so great. I was in the kitchen with Mom when wheat was being harvested and hay baled. We cooked pies the day before and then cooked meals from sunset to noon. I remember the smell of harvest. Hard to describe, but it feels good to think about it. We lived in Illinois. Your fields were flat, like the prairie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think what the equipment will be like in another 50 to 60 years! We will not be able to recognize or believe it. I am guessing that they will have manless machines out there harvesting using GPS controls.

      Delete
  5. Farming is such hard work made harder when any equipment fails. I doubt that a family farm in CA has the acreage to harvest that you're working. I'm sure it'll be nice to see Barb despite the cleaning needed after a long day in the fields. Will the puppies be coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the puppies are here too! So good to have everyone here even if it is just for a few days.

      Delete
  6. We don't eat chickpeas hummus; we are meat and potato like you.
    Poor dog, it will happen to you too one day, it catches up with all of us when we age - that's life so we make the most and best of it as we go along.
    You have been busy, the entrance to your property is looking good.
    I enjoyed reading our post as always...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know if I have even tried hummus so it might be good. I just have no desire to even try it.

      Delete
  7. Farming is so such hard work. I feel bad for the farmer near your field who was doing all the work by himself. My dad grew up on a farm and though he loved the outdoors and remained a country boy until the day he died, he did not want to farm for a living when he was adult. He said farming was too much work- that was something coming from a man who worked harder than anyone I knew! It´s great that you´re helping out. I don´t care for garbanzo beans but I know everyone has different tastes so I am not going to question God on that creation- bugs are a different story, though. WHYYYY mosquitoes??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And woodticks, and lice, and fleas and spiders. So many things! The number of farms is dwindling across the country. Such hard work, so expensive to get into. Very hard to get into farming even if you wanted to!

      Delete
  8. As strange as it might sound, I am not familiar with growing canola and the harvesting of it. Not sure where I thought I canola came from 😳. If people could only understand that farming is much more than driving a tractor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canola is actually quite fascinating, you should look up the history of it. So many of these little seeds going into filling just one bottle of oil.

      Delete
  9. I enjoy your stories and explanations of life on a big, big farm. Hummus is not so bad--not my favorite and certainly not my Cowboy's favorite! And skunks, rattlesnakes, mosquitoes, hornets--my list of "why" goes on and on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skunks, if they would just stick to eating grubs and bugs. But when they are eating all those turkey, pheasant and other eggs, I don't get it. Hornets provide nothing to the ecosystem. I suppose they do, but I have no idea what it is.

      Delete
  10. I’m with you Jim on the garbanzo beans and hummus. Dianne just started dumping those bean on our salads. That’s quite the driveway you have…must be fun in the winter. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unfortunately I've seen more than one combine blackened and sitting in a burnt up circle in a field. It is quite sickening, especially when you know what a new one costs. My parents were always paranoid about that happening so we cleaned them off every evening and made sure we had charged fire extinguishers in them and the support equipment nearby.

    I think being the cart guy would be great loading into semis. We loaded into wagons, tall wagons, ones I couldn't see the far side of especially at night with grain dust flying. More than once, I became the scoop shovel guy throwing overflowed grain on the backside of the wagon back into the wagon. No fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each of the combines has a 5-gallon pressurized water extinguisher. We went through two of those and reloaded them. It would have been disastrous without them
      Stay turned for an upcoming post, I have several examples of spilled grain to share!

      Delete
  12. Driving combines ... one of my favorites. I know the fire of which you speak. Dry rice fields .... and panic! Kinda glad I don't have to do that any more! As for the chick peas ... that would be a big NO. On the other hand, if it keeps Barb doing amazing work like staining your driveway entrance, then by all means ... bring home a bushel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, these canola fields and residue are susceptible to fires as they have so much oil in them. Who knew?!? Perhaps I should bring home a 5-gallon bucket of chickpeas, but I am afraid she would force me to eat some!

      Delete
  13. This is really quite the work. What a job. You are good workers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would ask if it's really work if you enjoy it. But I already know the answer, it is definitely work!

      Delete
  14. I’m with you about the chickpeas…not my favourite either. I keep trying them to no avail. I always learn a lot from your posts from the farm. Harvest is underway here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I think it is 2-1 people not in favor of chickpeas, must be my demographic as I am sure in another group you would find totally the opposite.

      Delete
  15. I had the same thoughts about helping that other farmer...BIG JOB to do it all by one's self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say 1/3 to 1/4 of the farmers out here are either one their own or just have their spouse to help them. Most of the kids are moving away.

      Delete
  16. That farmer that was working his fields alone would be like the farmer I would be. Oh, I would ask for your help but then you would be to busy helping everyone else. Just call me "Cripple Guy farmer".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to go over and help him but didn't on the off chance you took up farming and it was you!

      Delete
  17. Good times on the farm! I love chickpeas too. Chi chi beans in Italian. We put them in pasta dishes, soups snd salads. Like Barb, I like the hummus too. Good Ol Remi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two are two peas in a pod.
      See what I did right there? I crack myself up! 🤣

      Delete
  18. Farm animals are a real bind - I grew up on a mixed arable/dairy farm, the arable side was easy to manage, just prep/sow/spray/harvest, whereas the dairy side was a twice a day 365 days a year commitment for milking, and any problems like mastitis only made for more attention needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a new word. Never had heard arable before. You are right though, at least with crops you can take off for a few days, even a week. Not so much with livestock. Especially dairy cattle!

      Delete
  19. I am with you...nothing chick pea is on our menu ever! I tried hummus once...yuck..each to his own I guess. That is one wide swath on that combine! I drove grain truck a couple of Falls ..I took grain from the bin into the elevator...very boring but back then the pay was good...I also drove beet truck for that same farmer...now that is nothing I ever want to repeat. 12 hour shifts but then that didn't count before and after work..fill with fuel...and scrape the truck box. I had the 2 Am to 2 PM shift. Had a child that needed extensive dental work and surgery...hence I needed an extra job! The poor old dog...the mind is still good but the body is old. I hope you have a good visit with Barb, the weather this week is very warm! That poor farmer working on his own...hope he doesn't have too much to do...maybe his help just needed a day off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We almost did the sugar beet thing one year. We even signed up and later called and told them it was not going to work out. They called us each seas for three years seeing if we wanted to do it

      Delete
  20. The weather here is all over the place, hot then cold and back to hot one day we need the air con the next we need the heater. This Aussie gal is a meat and spuds person as well, she also finds trucks interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are back to hot again, today's high was 88! It cools down nicely at night however making for some great sleeping weather.

      Delete
  21. You are one blessed dude....Dairy Queen.....happy hour....BARB!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you to getting things done. I love chickpeas. They are so versatile. Toss them in a salad, roasted them and eat them crunchy.. and of course the famous hummus. We also use chickpea flour to make fritters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You actually mentioned something I just might like. At least I'd try it. The roasted chickpeas.

      Delete
  23. There is almost an ironic juxtaposition with having all of that machinery but it still taking so much work. I had never thought of that before. It's quite an operation.

    I empathize with Remmington and hope you have a wonderful visit with Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This larger machinery allows farmers to farm more acres with fewer people, but you are right, it is still a lot of work!

      Delete
  24. Y’all are keeping quite busy! Farming sure is a lot of hard work. Bless Remy’s heart! I know she was probably just happy to be out there amongst nature. I like your Dairy Queen trick! 😁 I’ll have to try that with my hubby the next time we pass one. Barb, the fence looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remy does not get to go too many places any more so when he came on this trip I think he thought he was going hunting. Hunting season opens in a few weeks, I am sure he will get out a few times this year and relive his youth.

      Delete
  25. My brother-in-law (from Trini) does a fantastic job with seasoning then roasting chickpeas, "spicy mahn". I like mine on a salad after being marinated in vinegary Italian dressing with cukes, onions, and tom's. Pretty good in stews too though. Glad you got the combine extinguished in short order. Go Barb, the entry fence looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb is taking some home with her to soak and roast. If they are any good, I will grab some more for the road when I go home.

      Delete
  26. A fine post as usual, Jim. So much to know about here. I can only imagine how dusty this work is! I was intrigued by the last photo of Remy in the canola field. I have never seen canola grain, and tried to zoom in to see what it looked like.
    And the happy hour! Not so much the drink, but that table and chairs are a vintage kitchen dream! And so hard to find in good condition. I hope he knows what he has there!
    So good that Barb came to visit...and made you clean up. That made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave it to you to notice that table and chairs. That came from Farmer's parents' house that was on the property and torn down a couple of years ago. I will try to remember to post a couple pictures of a canola plant and seeds next week. They are pretty interesting.

      Delete
  27. We love reading these "from the farm" posts and the trials and tribulations of harvest time. Love reading them, not participating however! Old Remy.....it's hard to watch them age isn't it. Its hard to watch us age too, but I just don't look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hard to see dogs get old. I've known Remy since he was a pup. Each of the kids have always had him around as he is older than each of them. Dogs just do not live long enough.

      Delete
  28. The weather is changing here too, nicer days in the low 80s and nights in the 50s, great sleeping weather. Thoroughly enjoy your posts, just like being there. Thank you for all the details in harvesting. Always very interesting. Sweet Ol’ Remy. He reminds me of our dog we had years ago. Have a great week and I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am picturing hillsides covered with oaks and maples in Virginia. Two of my favorite trees when it comes to fall colors.

      Delete
  29. This returns me to my childhood in Saskatchewan. It's an intense time; be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't say if they were good memories or a nightmare. Perhaps a little of both?

      Delete
  30. I always found it fascinating watching the combines at work - even if the ones I watched weren't as big as these ones here. Big machinery is so sexy LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sexy huh? I guess I will have to walk with a swagger as I get in and out of the machinery! The sad part is that there is no one around to notice except me!

      Delete
  31. Hello,
    The mornings here have been in the high 40's mid 50's, feels very cold.
    The details of your farm work are interesting, I have seen the combines and the semi's in the fields around my area. Looks like hard work. The fire scary scary.
    I feel sad for the dog, he wants to be young again. Barb did a good job on staining the wood fence. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is perfect weather in the morning! We finished this phase of our harvest yesterday so things will slow down significantly. It will pick up again in a couple of weeks, but for now we can slow down and relax a little.

      Delete
  32. i am sure everyone is commenting that farming is such hard work. it is to us but i think you enjoy it...you are always so busy and have such a great attitude!! i enjoy the details about farming, i have never worked on a farm and have never been involved with any work like this. and oh those equipment woes, i remember them well when we were business. i was/am a nurse, but i gave it up to help the hubs with the business, i miss it. our weather has changed, cold in the morning, very warm during the day...our leaves are starting to change, that is the best part!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you had your fair share of equipment malfunctions over the years. It is just going to happen with any heavy equipment that gets used regularly. I cannot wait for the fall colors, I just wish we had more down by us!

      Delete
  33. Sounds like you're having a great time and I hope you will do the farm stuff every time you can until you just can't! Barb's paint job looks great. I'm glad she was able to join you for a few days! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of slowing down on the farming a bit. 5-6 weeks is just too much. Maybe only the peak weeks.

      Delete
  34. I do like chickpeas, mostly in a salad and I have made my own hummus, which we both enjoy. Farm work is undeniably hard and we had only a small yard in VA, which my husband called his farm because he grew veggies and fruit trees. He only had a John Deere tractor, but would have enjoyed driving some bigger units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome that your husband called his garden "the farm", and to him, it is his farm. Barb took some chickpeas home with her which she is going to soak and try them. If she likes them, I just might be taking more home!

      Delete
  35. Sounds like you've had quite a ride! Dealing with smoky combines and chickpea woes—what a combo.
    It's awesome you got a Dairy Queen treat and a happy hour break.
    The entryway looks cool, and Ol' Remy’s story is both touching and a bit of a wake-up call.
    Thanks for the update, and here’s hoping the rest of harvest is a bit smoother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall, the harvest is going well. We are in a lull right now which I will talk about in the next post, then it will ramp up again for a week or so!

      Delete
  36. Another great summary of what it means to work for a living. Even in "retirement". About a year after I retired, I told Gini I was going to have to go back and get a job so I could get some rest.

    Gini makes a great Spanish bean soup with chickpeas. Lots of garlic, onions, ham hock and smoked sausage.

    Y'all enjoy the new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to getting back home and doing nothing for a few days. Or perhaps doing something, but at my own pace!

      Delete
  37. thecontemplativecat here. I grew up on a farm in Illinois, not too far from the Mississippi. The sounds of the machinery and the scent in the air still linger in my brain. Dad raised corn, wheat and soybeans. Livestock was milk cows and hogs. It has been 5 decades since my life on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you lived that life, there is no going back. There will always be something that reminds of it. I did receive both your comments, since they are moderated, they do not appear right away. I deleted the second one. Have a great week!

      Delete