Sunday, September 1, 2024

Delivery Week!

It's been a busy week here at the farm. The last of the wheat (l) went into the bin today. None too soon either as my sinuses, eyes and throat are really paying the price. We have now moved on to Canola (r). They planted just under 2,000 acres of canola this past spring and now it is time to harvest it. Unlike wheat, canola is a much slower process. With wheat it was everything I could do to keep up with the harvesters. I would no sooner return with an empty truck and another full truck was waiting to go out. Even with two truckers they were sometimes texting me asking me where I was as they needed the truck I was in!

There are a couple reasons the canola is slower. First, the yield is much less than wheat, then there is the grain/seed size. It would take probably 6-9 canola seeds to equal the size of one kernel of wheat. As a result, it takes a couple hours to fill a truck versus 30 minutes. So, I find myself doing this....

This does not mean that the days are any less busy though. In fact, in the past 7 days we each worked over 100 hours.  We can typically get into the field a little sooner each day with canola. So, we are harvesting a little sooner each day and going a little later each day versus wheat. Noon to midnight would not be unusual. Luckily Ty's wife, Stephanie, brings us supper out in the field each day. For a picky eater like me, it forces me to try some new things. I am not a big fan of Mexican food, but I had the best fajitas of my life while sitting in the truck the other day. Some of them even come with dessert!
There has been a lot of talk in the news lately about price gouging and people/companies taking advantage of the unstable market. Well, I can tell you it is not on this end of the spectrum. Farmers do not set their own prices. Commodities are priced based on not only the U.S. supply, but the world supply mainly on price and demand. For example, wheat prices right now are at a low for several reasons, mainly there is a huge supply right now. This bin below holds 50,000 bushel of wheat (3,000,000 lbs) and right now wheat is approximately $4.56/bu making a full bin worth $228,000. Earlier this year wheat was at $7.40/bu making that same bin worth $370,000. That's nearly $150,000 swing in what they could have gotten for that wheat in just one bin! Think about all those bins of wheat across the country and how much less farmers are making now compared to that high. 

Farmers cannot raise their prices to make up for this loss. They have two choices, sell at that lower rate or hold it, hoping the price goes up. Some farmers need to take their grain to the elevator right away to live and pay bills, while others have the ability to hold it until the price goes up. Add to that increasing fuel and electric prices and you can see why the small farms are disappearing across the country. 

Much of this canola is going straight to the elevator to fulfill a contract they had made earlier in the year. Some of it is going to the farm as well. Here is one of my least favorite things to do. I don't hate it; I just don't love it. Checking the grain level in a bin once it gets near the top. Heights never used to bother me, but these last few years it has started to. I am just not as stable as I was used to be. I continue to do it to fight my fear. The views from the top are worth it though!

It is so dry out here that the combines are just in a dust bowl as they harvest. 
I cannot help but think about Farmer Bob in his younger years when he could harvest in an open cab. We get filthy throughout the day in our enclosed cabs. Imagine how filthy you would get sitting out in the open!

Although I cannot check my trail cameras back at home, I can check the ones they have around here. Here are a few of the more interesting ones; mostly catching some yellow-headed blackbirds in flight, which is really cool, but that last one with the deer in the foreground and the pheasant on the fencepost, looks like it comes right out of a Redlin or Kouba painting! 




In the 'pictures from home category', I have a few. There is a squirrel that terrorizes the girls almost every day. You say the word "squirrel" in our house and both of the dogs immediately jump to their feet and run to the door. The squirrel is usually long gone from the bird feeder by the time the girls get there but this week, for the first time, they were fast enough to trap this squirrel on the feeder post! That poor thing did not know what to do!
It sat on top of that post for a minute or so before launching itself at the nearest tree, which was much too far for it to actually make it. It hit the ground with all four of its feet spinning, making it to safety just ahead of the dogs. I bet it won't make that mistake again!

Barb also painted the door going into the garage. Frankly, I never thought of even painting it, but it does look much better! Now if she would only grout the stone.....
She also did me a favor by going to our local liquor store on Allocation Day to get me a hard-to-find bottle of bourbon. Once a month, the liquor store owner takes all of his hard-to-get bottles and puts them out. This is known as Allocation Day. He posts on Facebook what he is going to put out and they are available on a first-come-first-serve basis, limit 1 bottle. Barb got there about 6:20 in the morning and she was 23rd in line waiting for the 7:00 opening. People had their chairs set up, one guy even brought his Blackstone and was cooking people breakfast! See that kid in the baby stroller? Nothing like family day at the local liquor store! I wonder if the baby was able to get a bottle as well?!!? 
I gave her a list in order of which bottle I would like. When it was her turn, my top 10 were gone, but she did score on this bottle of Bookers!
But this ordeal cost me a lot more than the cost of the bourbon. She liked the idea of a Blackstone so much, she went and bought one!
This caught my eye as I walked by the chicken coop. I had heard about the tragedy when the dogs got into the chicken coop killing every single one of them, but I did not know that Gavin (10) insisted on putting up a cross as a memorial. It is hard to read but the writing says: Maple, Brighten, Chuckles, Meadowlark, Speedy, Scardy Cat, Clucker, Blacky, Snowman and the other 9. Tragic, but cute.

All of that and I have not even gotten to the biggest news of the week. Chris and Holly got a brand-new baby this week! By "got" I mean "had" and by "brand-new baby", I mean Ms. Tessa Mae, coming in at 6lbs-6oz. It was a scheduled delivery so at least they got to plan for it. Check out the boys shirts.
Holly absolutely would not allow me to take a picture of her, even before Tessa was born! Baby #4 for these two. Here is the thing about Tessa, she is only the 2nd female baby in the Sobieck family in a couple of generations. Bob S. (Chris's dad) came from a family of 4 boys, and he is the only one (and now Chris) to have a baby girl! Their lives have changed for sure, no more restful nights for them for a while. Chris took an afternoon off the day before she was born and a couple days after, but now he is back at it! 

I'll leave you with this picture of Dylan eating a donut. Do you think anyone else was interested in this donut? This picture is so cute, even Harry would love it!

70 comments:

  1. This is hard work -- and such a busy time. Well done. I love the gray door Barb painted. That looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a write this from the tractor, we have 8 hours in with probably another 8 to go. Gotta keep harvesting while the weather cooperates!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed reading your post. Farming is not an easy job and sometimes a thankless one. The bird is a beauty. Must have been an awful sight to see all those chickens killed and a lovely idea that cross.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing. It had to be a blood bath. I don't know if any of the kids saw it.

      Delete
  3. We certainly enjoyed driving past the brilliant yellow canola fields in Idaho. But certainly would not want the job of harvesting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canola (and flax) is one of the most colorful crops you'll see out there. So beautiful and recognizable.

      Delete
  4. Good morning, wow I have never heard of needing to stand in line to get a bottle of good booze. sounds like a good harvest-always a lot of work-my Grandparents had an 80 acre farm-small but still a lot of work for one or two people.
    Happy Labor day weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially with the equipment they used back in the day. I wonder what they would think of today's equipment!

      Delete
  5. I love this post Jim…farming is hard work! I love your descriptions and photos…the dusty field, you standing on the bin ladder looking up and down, and your sock feet taking a breather! Thank you for helping, thank you Farmer Bob for wheat and grains, and congratulations on a baby girl! Barb did great…I love the gray door! And kudos to Zoey and Dakota…hope that pesky squirrel got the message, “don’t mess with us!”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squirrel did not get the message, it was back again today!

      Delete
  6. The new baby girl sounds like a truly exciting event in the family! Sweet pics.
    I really, really loved the remembrance cross.
    Heights bother me--so kudos to you to even being way up there at all! Awk!
    I always learn new things about the big farms from you.
    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heights haven't really bothered me until this year, now I don't feel as secure when on the roof or someplace else high

      Delete
  7. For a retired guy you sure do work a lot. I think farmers don’t get enough credit for all the sacrifices and hard work they do. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even close. There is no way 90% of the people in the cities could do this work!

      Delete
  8. Great post about farm life and costs associated with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to go into more detail, but time to write is kind of a challenge right now.

      Delete
  9. First of all...congratulations on the new baby girl. I sure wish that our Country could understand the hard and difficult work that goes into farming. Way too easy to just go to the grocery store and pick something off of the shelves with no worries of the labor and the cost that goes into each product. I'm glad that Barb was able to at least get you something after standing in that line. I've never heard of Allocation day. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be awesome if everyone was required to work on a farm for a year? Maybe not awesome for the farmers training all those people, but they would get an appreciation for the work!

      Delete
  10. You two are hard workers. I'm still coughing and it is getting to me. Happy farming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like you this week with all the hacking I am doing. I'd rather have wheat allergies than what you are going through though.

      Delete
  11. A lot of grain around here gets sold on contract anymore to obtain better pricing. But it certainly adds even more pressure on a already pressured farmer to produce.

    I have never liked climbing up to lofty heights on grain bins. But nothing amazes me more than getting to the top and seeing a pile of raccoon shit right on the top of the bin cap. They are fearless and enjoy a good view while vacating their bowels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should try that next time I am up there, they may be on to something!

      Delete
  12. In Industry each of the attached Bin Ladders would require Safety Cages. They stop a lot of falls, and you can lean against them when your legs tire.
    Congratulations on the new addition to the Sobieck Family.
    Looks like the girls are keeping the home front secure.
    It also looks like Barb's tastes are changing. That Blackstone will be Tested and waiting for your return.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen those cages at grain elevators, but never farms. A little more security for sure. I can't wait to get home and try the Blackstone!

      Delete
  13. I'm tired just reading about all that work! I can feel the sadness and loss of the chickens. It was a massacre! Congratulations on the previous baby❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine. We lost a number of our chickens to a weasel years ago. The dang thing only ate the heads off of them and left the rest of the body before moving onto the next one!

      Delete
  14. I am scared of opened heights and with my balance being not as good as it could be I would be scared shitless so nope I like to stay on the ground were the fall isn't going to be as bad.
    New babies in the family are always such a lovely event, I like babies......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like other people's babies, from a distance. They are so tiny, I am afraid I would break or drop them. After they are a little bigger with some meat on their bones I'll hold them, but before then, I am terrified.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for explaining farming. More people need to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many facets and things that I find interesting, it would take weeks/months, to explain it all.

      Delete
  16. What a sweet baby! Congratulations all around! And that cross for the chickens is precious! It's harvest and burn season here as well. I live in agriculture country here in the Mississippi Delta and it's busy with harvesting, farm equipment moving on the roads, and fields burning after a harvest. The smoke leaves everyone with what we call the Delta Crud, basically a killer sinus infection. Looks like y'all have been super busy! Farming is hard work, and we appreciate ours around here! I would be so scared to climb those bins! You be careful up there! Barb did a great job on the door! I think it deserved a new Blackstone! haha! Ya'll will enjoy that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what residue they burn down there. The only residue they burn here is flax, the rest is shopped up or baled. They burn sloughs too, especially when it is dry like it is right now.

      Delete
  17. Great blog. Lots of learning about farming, experiencing the circle of life (chickens) and new life (baby girl). The door looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys are super excited to have a baby sister. I am sure that the newness will wear off at some point. At least this year they are all in school so Holly can have some alone time with Tess during the weekday.

      Delete
  18. Farming is a hard, thankless business. I am forever grateful for those who do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I write this on Labor Day morning, I could not agree with you more!

      Delete
  19. Great post on farming. It is a hard business, many farms around here do not make it. They are turned into housing developments, which is sad. Sorry to hear about the chickens, congrats to the family on baby #4 Tessa Mae is a cute name. It is great that Barb was up early to be in line for Allocation Day. BTW, she did a great job painting the door, looks nice! Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard not to sell to housing developments. As the elder farmers pass away, the children see a big payday by selling the farm. All they saw was their parents working their asses off day after day and not wanting that life for themselves.

      Delete
  20. So many interesting things in this post! On our way home from the beach one evening, harvesters were cutting wheat, lights on in the field, dust rising high. I didn’t realize prices were so low. Someone is making a killing, not the farmers. Greed is disgusting!

    The wildlife shots are super. I always enjoy deer photos since none live here.

    What a lucky baby girl! All the brothers to look out for her!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still baffles my mind that you have no deer. I am sure there have been discussions on whether or not they should be introduced over the years.

      Delete
  21. Heights have always bothered me--I can't even climb a ladder to get on the roof--Mike has to lift me up with the backhoe then I'm OK once on the roof. Your wheat pricing info was interesting. Love the gray door and the Blackstone--that will teach you to be away so long! That game camera photo of the deer and pheasant is so cool! Good for the dogs--squirrels are a menace to your home--maybe not yours as it's metal! Is it smokey in North Dakota?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too smoky here. It was back in SD though. God created red squirrels just to chew wires and eat holes in houses. Oh, and to menace dogs!

      Delete
  22. Farming is not for the faint of heart. You never know by the time the crop is ready to harvest, just how much you will get paid for it. We bought cattle at 50 cents a pound many years, and sold for 35 cents a pound, just to pay the bills. As for the dirt, you've got it good now with enclosed cabs and AC. We would come home completely covered in mud from the sweat and dirt. You couldn't even recognize who it was!! By the way, you better be nicer to Barb or your Bookers may disappear!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not imagine harvesting in an open cab. My eyes, ears and nose suffer the way it is.

      Delete
  23. Another great read, fun from beginning to end. You really should write a book. I’ve a feeling it would be a best seller. Hubby’s cousin tells us about what they have been doing and it’s very similar to what I read here. Makes us realize we should not take it for granted to get our food on the table, knowing all the hard work our farming families go through. Thank you for sharing it all with us out here, and I was very interested in your comments about price gouging. Sort of figured that was what it was all about. Fun captures on those trail cam photos. Barb must love you very much to get out there at 6.30 in the morning to get a bottle of bourbon. Clever of the store owner too. Congratulations to Chris and Holly on the birth of Tessa Mae, fantastic! Loved the boys in their cute shirts. I have a feeling Ms. Tessa Mae is going to rule the roost on those boys. It should be an exciting time. Sad to read about the chickens but what a kind heart Gavin has, must have been horrifying. Darned cute on the doughnut photo ending too. "Happy Labor Day" has a whole new meaning after reading this post. I wish you all a great one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never given any thought to Tessa ruling the roost, but you are right. Gavin is 10 years older than Tessa and Calvin, I think 5 or 6 years older. But in a few years, she will be bossing them around!

      Delete
  24. The deer and pheasant pic is very good. I hope you get a little work break soon. Those elevators are quite a climb. I don't think I'd have ever been able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If everything goes well, and we can put in 5 more 14-16-hour days, we should have everything done except for the beans and we can take a break!

      Delete
  25. Congratulations to the family on the new Girl!
    Happy Labor Day!
    Thank you for your hard work.
    Grout photo, looking forward to see.
    Family day at the liquor store! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am looking forward to a photo of all the grout being done!

      Delete
  26. Another great read! Made my coffee better.

    Your blog should be required reading for students and a large chunk of the adult population as well. Hard work is becoming unknown in some parts of the country. Your to-the-point explanation of economics is spot on. "Price gouging" is a term used by politicians to get votes. The same politicians which are responsible for the current supply chain and production cost issues. Sigh.

    In the meantime, hope in the form of a new baby girl should give us all reason to celebrate life.

    Y'all have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! I could have gone on and talked about the other end of the chain; grocery stores, but to what end?

      Delete
  27. What a lovely blog post. I don't envy farmers at all. They work jolly hard for their keep, in all weathers.
    Congratulations on the new arrival - her big brothers look so pleased. She will be spoilt rotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will not only be spoilt, she will have to be a tough one putting up with all those boys!

      Delete
  28. How wonderful for that little girl to have all those big brothers!! Tractors with no cabs was the norm back in the day. Hard working dusty job...hay and grain trying to make a living. Isn't there some kind of camera you can put up in that canola bin...?? But like you said the view is great! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bins do have three windows going up, but you still need to climb up as you get right to the top, so you do not overfill it and cover the vents. It is so dusty in there; a camera would just not work.

      Delete
  29. Saw a report on TV yesterday that China no longer wants the Canadian Canola, so prices will drop. Hopefully the Canola you harvested/trucked won't be affected this way. Liked your post very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to watch the price. I know they had a bunch under contract already, so hopefully it is at a higher price.

      Delete
  30. I don't mean to take so long to comment, but in reality it took me this long to just get through that. I blame it on a sleep disorder. However that picture of your feet up in the window seems like a daily occurrence while everyone around you is working. LOL. I'm just kidding. The world takes everything the wrong way it seems. I know you are a hard worker. That's what you keep telling me. LOL. again. Or should I just say the obvious. Just kidding. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world does seem ubber sensitive lately, and yes, you did hurt my feelings. I shall go curl up in the fetal position and cry.

      Delete
  31. Aw, congratulations to all on the wee one! I like her name.
    You guys sure work hard. It makes me appreciate the flour and other products made possible by farmers.
    Laughed at that squirrel! We have a couple here that keep our dogs entertained.
    Be careful and stay well, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, that squirrel did not learn its lesson as it continues to return to torment the girls!

      Delete
  32. I want to give you the biggest high five. You folks work so hard. I often wonder what I would have done if I had been born in the day when the women worked the fields no matter what, or had a farm that required me to go from sunup and sundown. I am not a lazy person, but Fibromyalgia changed my life so much. With that said, had I had a farm and grew my own food and fed my own food till to actually make them food, I prob would not have Fibro. Lack of all that stuff in our foods does not help my pain/fatigue issues....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really have to wonder. I do not know what causes that, but you never heard about it until the past few decades.

      Delete
  33. i remember the local liquor store, allocation day, from a past post or 2. it seems the items you want always go quickest...you must have good taste, i hope you like what she got for you!! i enjoy reading about farming and the pricing regulations, i would never know but now i have a better appreciation for pricing and mad respect for farmers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it yet, but think I will this week as rumor has it, I am going to get a special visitor and she just might bring it with her!

      Delete
  34. Well what did you say before and after the part about a new baby girl named Tessa? I forget. But that donut looks really good ... what's left of it! Farmers do the work of God. I wish our government did not squeeze them so much. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessa is a cute little peanut isn't she? They keep asking me if I want to hold her. Tempting, but she's just too darn small. Maybe sometime before I leave though!

      Delete