Sunday, July 2, 2023

Getting Stoned

Oh, how I wish I was..... If I am being honest, I did try it once...okay, maybe twice but I never inhaled, I swear!

Just one major project to be completed before we can call the house done. The stone on the outside. I have no idea how long that project will take. I am thinking a couple weeks. With almost 100' of stone to be laid it is overwhelming just looking down the porch. 

Barb has been helping by laying out stone along the edge of the porch. This is saving a bunch of time for me as it is very time consuming going through the pallets of stone to find the ones that fit along the bottom and next to each other. 

Day 1 went well. I got 30 or so stones up. The next day sucked. I don't know what was different, but I only got about a dozen up and those were a struggle as they just wouldn't stick. I guess I did not mix my mud right. 

I will go about 2-3 hours in the morning, take a break and go again after lunch. Barb is a huge help, picking and laying out stones and finding where they fit the best. By the end of day 3 we have about 1/2 of the largest section done. This is the 50' the length of the garage....

Today (Sunday), Kevin came over and we hit it really hard. He gets stoned a hell of a lot more than I do, so much so, he could do it in his sleep. He can get more done in a day than I can in 3-4 days. 

Kevin was the main stoner, Barb struck the excess mortar, I made mud and worked on the base stone layer on the south end of the house. 

Not only did we get 95% of the 50' garage section done, but we also got a good jump on the south end of the house as well!

North end almost done!
South end has a great start!

We had two rain days where we could not work on stone. Well, it wasn't raining but the stone was still wet from overnight rains. I worked on the lights outside the garage. I had to cut out a 7x17" section of the steel to fit in the wood panel. Not exactly easy since the steel is already up. Once that was cut out, I cut and fitted some J-Channel around the opening, then drill holes to run the wire though and then finally, install the lights. 

Light are up and working!
That same day I climbed up on the roof to clean the chimney. I do this once a year to prepare the upcoming fire season.

With all the rain, our pond went from totally dry to this in just a few days.....

The frogs and other pond creatures are making so much noise, it was hard to sleep the first few nights. Now, it is just background noise and we are used to it. 

Last, but not least, we got out a couple sections of the grain bin to see exactly where we wanted the gazebo. I told myself I am not going to work on this until the stonework is all done but we had a couple of down minutes, and we just couldn't help ourselves. This week instead of having a picture of "Find the Frenchie" I have a picture of "Find the Barbie". You may have to zoom in but there is a Barbie in that picture on the right somewhere!

Zoey found a new favorite spot to spy on the bunnies and squirrels. She now jumps up on the hearth and watches the little critters from an elevated perch. 
I will leave you with this picture, this rainbow made an appearance one evening. The rainbow led right to the base of our windmill, I ran down there looking for a pot of gold or perhaps a glimpse of a leprechaun. All I found a lot cow poop. If you look really closely, you can see another rainbow just to the right of the bright one. 
This coming week will more than likely be a repeat of last week, getting stoned each and every day!

53 comments:

  1. Looking very good, you might have found you calling. Seriously you have one very beautiful place and should take great pride in what you have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Although rewarding to see it go up, I do not want to become a mason!

      Delete
  2. Your stone work looks awesome! And so does the garage. You have a beautiful place to call home and should be very proud of yourselves. I love the photo of Zoey on the hearth looking for the bunnies and squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we look around our house we are still amazed that we built this with our own four hands.

      Delete
  3. The stone work looks amazing - well worth all your hard work! I never manage to find gold or leprachauns either, no matter how hard I try to find the end of the rainbow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, looking forward to having this project behind us!

      Delete
  4. The house is looking great. Once you get everything done you will be ready to sell that huge thing and downsize. Maybe into an RV or something like that. Maybe you could use your talents to help out a friend in Minnesota. Those poor people are working so hard that they don't have time now to finish their own house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be staying away from that tick infested mosquito ridden place for the foreseeable future. Last time we were in the Fergus Falls area the nightly required tick inspections by our hosts left Barb traumatized.

      Delete
    2. Sorry. To be thorough you must check every crack and crevice. And I did not hear any complaints.

      Delete
  5. It takes talent to do that kind of work. It looks fabulous!! I bet Zoey could catch those squirrels if you just let her try again!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We let her chase them once in awhile. It is one of her favorite games even though she doesn't come close.

      Delete
  6. WOW--your house/garage!! I really like what you guys have done and the stone work does finish it off. Heavy, hard work on your knees but it does look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the knees. Even with a piece of carpet our knees and backs were killing us by the end of each day.

      Delete
  7. What a great job on the stonework. What can’t you guys do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are truly a Jack of all trades…the place looks great! I especially like the looks of your garage with the JB. Looking forward to a future beer tasting event in the grain bin gazebo. 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works out, everything should definitely be done by then!

      Delete
  9. WOW the place looks great! The stonework really sets it off, I'd say it was worth the effort ... but I didn't have to help! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is well worth the effort. One more week or so and we hope to be done!

      Delete
  10. I have a slightly younger cousin who did rock and brick work when he was in his twenties...not an easy task whatsoever! It looks GREAT! I think Zoey was looking out that window watching you step in the cow paddies as you ran down to get your fools gold...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have worn shoes when I went down there. So squishy!

      Delete
  11. You guys are amazing and as everyone else has already said, your place looks wonderful and you should be mighty proud. You might just owe Kevin a steak and a few beers, it's good to have friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely owe him a steak dinner! He put us much further ahead than we would have been.

      Delete
  12. That stonework looks just gorgeous! Love it! Your place is just beautiful. Worth every bit of the time and effort. Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita, I bet you are excited for your new place as well!

      Delete
  13. It really looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a difference. It looks amazing. Many hands make light work and experienced hands makes things go much faster.
    The grain building is exciting, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
    You folks are talented, I'm sure you could hire out those talents and make a bundle! Or at least get lots of free beer! LOL

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any talents I may have are definitely not for hire. This old man is retiring from construction work once the stone is done. Oh, and the grain bin and bookcase and probably a dozen other things I am forgetting.

      Delete
  15. I feel like I know bona fide "rock stars" after watching you do all that stone work! Honestly, you two take my breath away, as we have watched you build your home from the ground up...IMPRESSIVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every time I think your place looks done, you add something else and it looks so much better. The front of the garage is magazine cover worthy - it's truly beautiful. Looks like that spot was custom made for Zoey to keep watch :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, every time I think we are close, another 10 things go on the list. At least this is the last of the "big" things!

      Delete
  17. looks great, lots of work but the result is wonderful. Love the garage door/lights photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garage lights were kind of a bonus project. They weren't really on my radar but when we had that rain day, Barb was kind enough to suggest I do them.

      Delete
  18. I think I owe Kevin a steak dinner, as it saved me a bundle from not having to come from Michigan to finish your house! I guess I do have a bit of thumb-twiddling time, now that mine has been done for nearly a year. 🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall send you the bill for said steak dinner. It will probably only cost you the equivalent to one tank of fuel so you're going to get by cheap!
      On the other hand, if you're bored and want something to do, come on over!

      Delete
  19. Trying to figure out how to fit the stones into that mosaic border must have been difficult. Looks great though. I'm sure the next project building that gazebo will just be as rewarding. Looking forward to more photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to prefit as many pieces as possible before I mix the mortar so it goes quickly.
      We hope to get to the gazebo this fall yet but it's hard to tell at this point.

      Delete
  20. Haha, the title got me. The stone mosaic look is coming well together.

    Bernie,
    The Style Fanatic

    ReplyDelete
  21. i would have pegged you for a "stoner", and well, you actually do very good work!! we had our foundation done but we hired someone. i think chuck could have done it...there is nothing he can't do but you are a little more ambitious. he's tired!!

    i must say, barb is doing a wonderful job, i really wonder how you guys do this in the summer heat. maybe it's not as hot where you are!! i did see barb, if i were her, i would hide better than that although i know she is not really hiding!! you guys are a great team!!

    gorgeous rainbows, i do see both of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried to hire it out but could not find anyone to do it.

      You're right about Barb, she is incredible. We could not have accomplished this without her.
      As far as the weather. This week has been so weird. The high two days that only hit 60 and no days that was over 70!

      Delete
  22. The stoning is really gorgeous!! Wow! Definitely a beautiful finishing touch. The garage door section is pretty. Love the door color with the siding color. The lights add the special touch. You definitely deserve a big pat on the back. Not only did you build it but it is creative and excellent craftsmanship watching you two (and Kevin) work so carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is one thing I don't care for one the garage side of the house. I don't understand why the garage door installer used white weather trim instead of black or brown. I may change that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't think of anything to add. It's all been said. So "ditto" to all the comments above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elva, we've been hitting it hard this week. One more day and we may be done!

      Delete
  25. That stonework looks fantastic and the door to the garage is beautiful! I enjoyed all your photos but I think my favorite is the one of Zoey looking out the window, with the metal creature in the same pose. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete