Sunday, July 23, 2023

What Was Your Punishment?

As a young lad I seemed to be in trouble a lot. Coming from a family of 7, with 6 other siblings, my mom and dad had their hands full. I honestly do not know how they did it. My little brother and I were the last two of the 7 and gave my mom fits. "Wait til your father gets home" were daily phrases in our house. 

What kind of trouble did we get in? Mostly not listening and disobeying. There was the occassional sneaking a cookie from the cookie jar, fighting with/teasing my siblings. We often ate supper as a family and could not leave the table until all our food was gone and we were excused. I quickly learned what our dog, Patches, liked and did not like as I snuck my food under the table. She definetely did not like broccoli, califlower, and cooked carrots. Things I rarely eat to this day. I remember going outside after supper and discarding these vegetables I had snuck into my pockets when no one was looking. I can only imagine what my dad thought when he saw these discarded vegetables on the lawn next time he mowed. 

As sweet and angelic as my brother and I were, we were punished quite often. Mom was famous for the bar of soap when we said bad words. Her other favorite was the wooden spoon. She would chase us with it swinging away as we dodged and weaved our way through the kitchen with her yelling "Wait til your father gets home!" She really was not that strong, and I remember having to fake cry as we got whacked. A lesson learned after the one time I laughed as she hit me with the spoon. I think we actually helped her with her agility as she too learned to anticipate our moves. One time I dodged a little too slow and she caught me on top of the head with the wooden spoon breaking it clean in half. 

We were often sent to our rooms waiting for the dreaded sound of the garage door opening. This signaled dad was home the real punishment was about to be administered. Dad had three weapons of choice; his hand, the ping pong paddle or the dreaded belt. All administered bare-butted over his knees. When we were up at the lake where we had a weeping willow tree, more than once I had to go select my own switch from the tree. Which is why to this day I dislike weeping willows. When I asked Barb, she said she had the exact same punishments including the weeping willow switch but minus the ping pong paddle!

I remember another incident when we were at the lake. Brother Rod and I snuck out of the house and into the tent of some girls who were visiting our neighbors. We were young enough where it was totally innocent (really), but my mom did not think so. She heard use in there talking with the girls and started beating the side of the tent with a broom. Rod and I shot out of that tent like rockets with our mom in hot pursuit with her broom!

As we got older, much to the delight of our parents, we took our misadventures on the road and terrorized the rest of the world. More than once we had the police and neighbors stop by the house to have a talk with our parents. That is when I learned something about my dad. I would be hiding in my room as my dad talked to the police when I once again ditched them on my dirt bike. One officer wanted to inspect my dirt bike to see if the engine was hot after a chase where I went through the woods to evade capture. My dad simply said "No, you are not going into my garage", thus getting me out of a tight spot. Maybe dad was not so bad after all!

My brother and I were on a first name basis with the Shell Lake police department and one day I found myself on the inside of a cell looking out. I will never forget my dad coming to get me and looking through the cell door. All he said was "How do you like in there James?" Nothing else was ever said, no punishment, nothing. I had to get out of that jam myself with a little help from mom and nothing ever became of it. 

As a parent, I carried on some of these family traditions. We did not have a ping pong table or a willow tree, but we did have belts and wooden spoons, but mostly the bare palm on the child across my knee. I do not remember using a bar of soap, but Jessica and Forrest might have different memories. Some parents nowadays would be appalled, but at times, I think we have gone too far the other way. When I am at a restaurant, I sometimes have to resist the urge to take some random kid over my knee as he sasses his mom in the neighboring booth. More than likely the result would be looking out of a cell again and being sued by some Karen for scarring her kid for life. 

But those days are over, now adays I find myself sitting in the living room taking pictures of birds through the window missing my mom and dad. We have had a family of Grosbeak frequenting our birdfeeder the last few weeks. And of course, there is the ever-tormenting squirrel to keep Zoey on her toes. 

The cattle left this week for their summer pasture. We will miss seeing them in the driveway or the pond but we will not miss the flies. Hopefully they took them with them. 

Along the driveway

Now that the cattle are gone, maybe the deer will come back. They seem totally disappear when the cattle are here. 

Our social life has slowed down a bit, but we did get together with neighbors Jim and Carmen once and a visit with some RV'ers who were passing through the area. Steve and Diane Wheeler, were passing through the area so we got together with them at the Bugling Bull in Custer. Steve is the brother of some other RV friends of ours. Always nice to talk to other RV'ers passing through. 

Not a lot of noteworthy projects the last couple weeks. We do something every day but lately it has just been putzy stuff like cleaning the garage and shed. The only big project that we did was prep the site for the grain bin gazebo. 20 tons of gravel went into prepping the site and getting it level. 
Before....                                                          Barb operating the laser level
The bin pad is now ready for the concrete forms, as is the sidewalk going out to that area.  

The weather has been too hot for us, in the 80's and 90's. I know that is nothing compared to much of the country, but it is too hot for these two. When it gets that hot, we will work in the morning and putz in the afternoon. One morning I went up on the roof and took down the DTV dish. So nice to get that monstrosity off the house. I do my roof work barefoot as it allows for a better grip, I got off the roof just in time as my feet were starting to burn on the hot metal when I got off. 
No more dish!
We had two days where it was relatively cool, so we went out to the forest to collect firewood coming back with two pickup loads. A couple more like this and we should have the wood storage area full!
In the fun category, Kevin and I had an event that we have been looking forward to for months. Total Archery Challenge (TAC) had a shoot on Terry Peak outside of Lead. TAC has shoots all over the country, typically at ski resorts where they set up very challenging archery targets. I was at one years ago with Forrest and Shane in Utah, now I got to go again!

We rode the ski lift up to the top of Terry Peak and worked our way down shooting at targets with varying ranges from 25-75 yards. 
We each bought about a dozen arrows hoping that would be enough. I missed the target entirely on the first station but was able to find my arrow undamaged. Kevin was not so lucky on his next shot when he smacked a tree dead center!
As you can see, others hit the tree as well. There were arrow parts scattered throughout the course, they set it up so you have to shoot around and through obstacles increasing your chances at losing arrows which can get costly at over $15/arrow to replace. 

We had a blast! I ended up losing 2 arrows, Kevin 4. Better than some people who lost all their arrows and had to take the Walk of Shame off the mountain with an empty quiver. 
Bedded Elk at 75 yards.
There are 25 total targets, up, down, sideways we made our way through the course. We had bet that the loser bought Dairy Queen on the way home. Kevin kept score, which I never did see, but Dairy Queen never tasted so good!

I also got a couple of trail cameras out this week. I checked one of them after a few days and found that I had captured these photos. 
Cow elk and her baby
Momma, pappa and baby
Saturday was a big day for all of us as our niece Alana came down from Spearfish with her husband Ryan and little Frenchie Sophie.
Saturday was also Alana's mom's, (my sisters birthday) so I took this picture of them having a bump in celebration of her birthday and sent it to her. It had been months since those two had a play date and they went crazy on and off for a couple of hours. They were much too fast to get any action shots but I was able to get these two. 
Barb took Sophie into the bedroom for a bit who came out looking like this. Ryan could not apoligize to Sophie enough for bringing her here and subjecting her to such humiliation.
 After that much excitement, they pretty much just zonked out. 


After a 4 hour visit, the three of them headed back to Spearfish and our two girls curled up on their beds for a much-needed nap. 
Zoey was so tired that night that she jumped up in bed, rolled on her back and started snoring. 
That's it for our boring life this week. I think I need a little more excitement; maybe I will call Kevin and see what kind of trouble we can get in. Then I will come home, self-report my bad behavior, and lay down over Barb's knees! 

43 comments:

  1. It was Mom and the fly swatter for my two siblings and me. Dad rarely disciplined us and if he did it was the belt. I too think discipline for today's children is lacking--I see it in our great grandchildren--but keep my mouth shut! :) :) Loved the photos of the Frenchies, good game camera shots--reminded me that I need to look at ours. Have a great week and stay out of trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We kept our mouths shut as well for the most part. I few slip ups when we could not take it anymore. Now they are at the age where I think a lot of the sass if behind them.

      Delete
  2. My Mom had the wooden yardstick, my Dad, his hand mostly. I wish there was less verbal punishment these days (those 'slings 'n barbs' can stick with you for a lifetime), and a little more corporal punishment. Did your floors pick up any scratches from all the dog play, haha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember disrespecting my mom like I see kids nowadays but I am sure I did. I am sure I deserved every whack I got!

      Delete
  3. Glad you have your site for the gazebo leveled. Looking forward to seeing it completed. Great job on your archery too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With luck, we will have the concrete poured in the next few weeks.

      Delete
  4. Yes I’m sure most of our generation has fond memories of the corporal punishment received from parents and schools…fun times! It seems now a days the kids rule the roost. I had to explain to our grandsons what a spanking was. Looking forward to your progress on the grain bin gazebo. That archery challenge looks like a blast!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never received any punishments at school. Maybe a squeeze of the neck but that's about all I remember.

      Delete
  5. You would be the kind of kids my mother told us to stay away from. We don't like trouble makers. I was thinking of a visit knowing all of the house work was done and then you had to start the Gazebo project. Guess we will just have to go to Florida instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom was a wise woman but it's too late now that you've seen how much fun hanging with a troublemaker can be!

      Delete
  6. Spankings occasionally from my mom, but I refused to cry or react. So she tried the wait till your father gets home...and I would get the bare butt across the knee with his bare hand...but he hated doing it...and I refused to cry. So the spankings were very rare and disappeared.

    My mom tried making me sit in the corner in my little wooden chair facing the wall, but then she had to watch me because I was constantly turning around. So she sent me to my room but that was fine with me because I had plenty to keep me busy in there. So she started to shut me in the coat closet. So I hid crayons and coloring books in there (your eyes will adjust to the dark). She started switching closets. So I hid stuff in all the closets. I was a real trial for her. I was supposed to be being punished and I would always find a way to be having a good time.

    She was irrational, unpredictable, and unfair...and she knew it. I was basically a good kid. [So was my brother in his way--lived like a shadow. But my sister was a mean girl with a terrible temper--lived like a tornado, but never got punished.] Being the oldest and put in charge of watching a brother and sister both in diapers when I was only about 6 years old...my mom knew punishing me for my little sister flushing her diaper down the toilet was unfair...but she couldn't help herself but take it out on me because she knew dad would be mad the only toilet was plugged up and he'd wonder how it happened. (She used to take off and leave us alone since we were 2, 3 and 6.) I always felt older than my years. I knew she didn't like being a mom and I didn't take it as personally as I could have. Funny, I took it more personally as a teenager later--but I was always glad she never punished my little brother and sister. Maybe I wore her out--lol!

    There were three times that she really suddenly lost her temper--because I was interrupting her when she was talking to someone or I embarrassed her--and she backhanded me with her fist so it knocked me halfway across the room. I would just stand up slowly, stare at her long enough that I could see she was ashamed, and walk away. Growing up I felt more the adult in my family than the child. When my mom and dad would get in long marathon arguments that lasted for days they would each try to get me to take their side. They were both at fault in different ways...and I would tell them so.

    Families are complicated.

    I don't condone smashing your kid with your fist, but occasional spankings or some kind of punishments are necessary to keep children safe and to teach them right from wrong. I only spanked my son--could count on one hand and have fingers left over--the standing butt swats when he was little. He was a good kid. He got privileges taken away--and we had long talks/lectures about the whys and whats of it all. That was more of a punishment to him than anything, I think--LOL! The talks! He was never left in the dark as to what he did, why it was dangerous or selfish or whatever, and he had to think about what kind of person he wanted to be in his life, etc. But he has never been afraid to tell me anything. Even as an adult he will still come to talk about things with me--and so does his wife (that wonderful woman)--and they have come together, too.

    Goodness! You opened a can of worms--ROFL! Well, I guess it was a loaded question--LOL! Sorry. Have a wonderful Sunday!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I did open a can of worms! Sitting in those closets must be where you got an early start on your crafting career and other talents!

      Delete
  7. Nice boring life!! Can't wait to see the finished outdoor sitting area, you guys just can't stop with the projects, can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we really can't. I am looking forward to nice cool fall afternoons sitting out in the gazebo watching football!

      Delete
  8. The discipline of children sure has changed. We’ve had to move in a restaurant because of someone’s unruly child.

    I’ve tried archery but wasn’t strong enough to do it. Fun trying though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've done the same, but ro you think the parents noticed or cared if they did? Probably not.

      Delete
  9. Mom was the enforcer...belts, soap (more a threat of soap than actually doing it), and her favorite...standing you in the corner. Once we were camping at Lake Tahoe and one of my younger cousins got caught doing something and 'Aunt Dorothy' put him in the corner. She then left to go to the store in South Lake Tahoe. Three hours later she returns and my poor cousin was still in the corner (a tree mom had selected), although sitting in a chair that one us got him. None of us dared to tell him he had been there long enough, and upon her return she went over to apologize to him and asked us why none of us pardoned him. (we were all too scared of doing that) This is one of the MANY stories we all share when we get together. (The same cousin once, unwittingly, broke a nice decorative bowl that he dropped a 'steelie marble' into. First from 3", then 4", and when he got up to 8" it busted that bowl...he just wondered how high he could go before it did damage, he said...in a very curious tone of voice. To this day he has no idea why he thought it was ok to experiment with Aunt Dorothy's bowl.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious! You should probably get your cousin a bowl and a bag of marbles for Christmas so he can relive his childhood.

      Delete
  10. Having spent my early years in a multi-generational home we learned early to show respect, share and do chores. It was just how life was then, glad to have that in my youth. So looking forward to watching you turn your silo into a gazebo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your upbringing almost sounds like an episode of the Waltons and I mean that in a good way.
      I have very few memories of my grandparents, just a few of my grandma' on one side and grandpa on the other.

      Delete
  11. Well lets see .. spoon, yardstick, hairbrush, coat hangar, belt, eucalyptus tree switch, 2 x 4 ... you name it, we got hit with it. Too bad there isn't more of that today ... we probably wouldn't have so many disrespectful kids running around. That range shooting looks like fun ... except for the losing arrows part. And obviously the cutest pups on the planet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you earned each and every whack! I totally forgot about the hairbrush until you mentioned it. Those really left marks!

      Delete
  12. I rarely got punished, but when I did it was “you can’t go to the Saturday matinee” which was a really big thing in our small town and ll my friends were there. I don’t think anything about your week was boring…life seems darn good in SD! Love the puppy photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back then that would have been a punishment! Equivalent to taking your cell phone away nowadays.

      Delete
  13. I was a good girl! I taught 25 years. I often what happened to some of the kids I had in my classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers have all my respect. I could not do it. Especially with today's kids!

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a lot of us were from the same discipline era. As former educators we just shutter as we watch some of the behaviors today. We say, that some poor teachers nightmare. Our son was never a problem but #2 tested us ever day. Sitting her in a corner or sending her to her room was a treat. She had such a vivid imagination that she just entertained herself having no idea why she was there. She was the immediate punishment type...spanking.

    Sometimes slow and relaxing is perfect. The archery trail sounds like so much fun. Love the dog photos. Poor Dakota needs a friend to some visit, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not do it and would be fired and/or in jail before the end of the school year.

      Delete
  15. I was one of 13, and yes, Dad's belt was feared by us all. Mom seldom punished us, but that threat of what til your father gets home was well used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13!?! I thought 7 was a lot but 13 is crazy. Your poor parents, I hope you were all angels.

      Delete
  16. Because my father had been so abused as a child, he always resisted smacking us. Instead the dog collar used to be smacked down on the table beside us, which worked for me but not so well for my brothers!
    Had to laugh at your hiding your veggies. Reminded me of my grandmother - her and her sister used to hide crusts etc in the hem of their bloomers until they could escape their father's sight and get rid of them (he was a stern Victorian Father, and quite strict with his children apparently).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing that the crusts back then had to be rock hard! I'd never heard of the smacking of the dog collar. I doubt it would have worked with me either.

      Delete
  17. What a great post! I loved all your memories from childhood. I can truthfully say I was locked up in a jail cell for about 5 minutes, lol! My dad was a policeman and one day he took us to the station, an old building that had been built a hundred years before. He had to pick up some work and my mum was visiting her mother in hospital, so he took us along. My sister and I followed him down into the basement where he showed us the line of cells, all empty no residents that night. He asked us if we would like to see what it was like to be locked up and have the lights turned off and we heartily said oh yes please. Well, didn't like it much when the lights went out but my sister and I had the giggles until dad let us out and took us home. So that was my five minutes in a jail cell. I think I was about ten years old. We used to get a talking to every now and again. When we were arguing my mother threatened that one of us would be sent off to boarding school. She said it so often we knew she didn't mean it, but it was her standard 'talking to'. I miss my mom and dad too, they were kind, good hearted people, and there was always a lot of laughter. Oh my gosh the dogs are so cute and oh that little tutu outfit, I am still smiling from ear to ear. Thanks for all those neat stories and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your version on your jail experience was much more pleasant than mine! I have been to a few jails and prisons since then but always on the right side of the bars during tours.

      Delete
  18. i experienced the same punishments but do not have the forgiving heart you seem to have. my dad passed away about 10 years ago and i don't think i ever forgave him for the brutal beatings. my mom is still alive but her health is poor right now. i have had a hard time forgiving her...she allowed my dad to beat us and her hands were not pure. it's all in the past but i felt my childhood was not a happy one. the dogs are adorable and that barb of yours is so cute!!!

    my niece has a dog lucy who looks just like sophie. i wanted her to have another baby but they decided on a dog instead!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much earned the discipline I got so it is easier to forgive. My dad and I had a hard time in my early teens but it worked out in the end.

      Delete
  19. I have been smacked a couple times but my mom threatened more than she actually punished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom threatened a lot but was not afraid to dish it out as well!

      Delete
  20. Great pics. Loving the doggies in the clothes. I never put anything on my Dakota (rat terrier) except a bandana. He thought the was hot stuff with that on. Put a jacket on him once for winter months, dropped him off at moms on my way to work and by the time she let him in, he had no jacket...he rubbed up on a bush to yank it off. LOL>...spoons and such for breaking in a backside is rough! My dad had a paddle, had a bear up near the handle and a deer on the other end, between it, it said, For the Cute Little Deer with the Bear behind! lol....Yep, one of my brothers has it now. Before the paddle, it was switches. The worst, having to go get your own switch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That deer/bear paddle sounds interesting, probably beats a ping pong paddle which left dimples!

      Delete
  21. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog - you are a lovely one here, a couple of blogs and wasn't sure which one to comment on - well could have done both but chose this one, not that I'm picky at all :)
    Lovely memories there, nice to recall them sometimes - both good and bad.

    ReplyDelete