Monday, July 10, 2023

The Barefoot Mason

 On my knees, with sweat dripping off my brow and the sun sweltering overhead, I continued to work on stone this week while Barb stood over me, broom in hand, swatting me on my back demanding I work faster. "Is this what Dino feels like in the soup trailer day after day after day?" I thought to myself. This is no way for a man to live. My knees, exposed and bloody, were aching for relief, the denim on my jeans having worn through days before.  With luck, I would be done by weeks end when I might get a few days of respite before Barb hits me with my next task.  

Stone by stone we continued on south along the side of the building until one day, I think it was Friday, I hit the end! I looked back north, along the 88-foot span and a single tear rolled down my face before hitting the concrete and sizzling into oblivion. "Please Ma'am, may I have a drink of water?"  Swat! "Go back and fill those holes you left!"

The next two days were filled with me chipping and grinding stone to fit in the holes to finish out the wall. When there were no more holes to fill, I collapsed to the ground in shear exhaustion. I was done!

Barb, with the broom she beats me with

That might not be exactly the way the week went but somedays I certainly felt that way. We continued on with our "Bag a day" goal. The day would start out with Barb and I heading out to the porch just after breakfast spending 30-45 minutes finding stones to fit the next layer of the wall. I would then mix a 1/2 bag of mortar and put the stones on the wall. Once that wheelbarrow full of mud was done, we would take a break for lunch and do the same thing in the afternoon. 

The title of this post? That came about when Kevin and I were working last Sunday and he turned to me and said "Nelson, I have known a lot of masons, but I have to say, you are the first barefooted mason I have ever met!"

But this week we got a little help in the form of a friend of ours who stopped by for a few days! Jeanie came to visit! Here is my convoluted way of describing who Jeanie is and how we came to be friends. Jeanie is the aunt-in-law of Chris at the farm whose dad was my best friend in high school, who has a brother named Dan who married a woman named Jeanie. Got it? She is also the Jeanie of Jeanie and Dan who used to own Prairie Smoke Ranch in north central North Dakota and also the Jeanie who we visited in early June up near Long Prairie, MN. AND the Jeanie whose name will be forever cursed by me for getting Barb into accordions. And now, she will also be known as Jeanie the Mason. 

        Jeanie searching for a home for a stone.       Me, mudding a stone with Jeanie in the background.

The weather this week was actually perfect for working outside. We did not have one day that hit over 70°, two days it only the mid 50's. We started out the week by working inside where we emptied out our workshop. 

We are going to get the floors epoxied! We thought about doing it ourselves, but with everything else we had going on and the fact that we had never epoxied a floor before and wanted it done right, we decided to hire it out. 

In hindsight, I am glad we did not attempt it. Austin arrived bright and early Monday morning where he spent a few hours sanding the floor with a big scrubber to rough up the surface. 
By the end of that day the floor was all scuffed up and the sides masked off. He came back the next day, laid down a layer of epoxy and the flakes. He wore some shoes very similar to golf shoes but with extra-long spikes, so they did not leave footprints in the epoxy. He then laid down a thick layer of flakes on top of the wet epoxy and worked them in with a huge trowel type tool.

He came back the next day with a huge scraper and scraped off the flakes exposed above the dried epoxy, vacuumed up the residue and put another layer of epoxy on top of that. Then he returned the next day for the final coat of epoxy. We love it!
We also had a frustrating day when our truck dash displayed a warning sign "Service DEF System, Contact Dealer". Well, that cannot be good. Barb contacted the Dodge Service Manager in Rapid City who said their first opening was August 24th. What?!?! He went on to ask Barb when we filled the DEF tank last. A couple days before. He then asked how old was the DEF? We had stocked up on DEF a while back and we figured this DEF was a little over a year old. He said, that was the problem, he would not use DEF over 6 months old. 

Barb asked if there was a way we could drain it and he said no, the best bet was to put a heavy load on the truck and try to burn through it. During lunch that day I googled if it was possible to drain the DEF tank on a '22 Ram 3500 and found a video with a pretty easy method so into the garage I went!
I was able to drain almost all of it out and put a new jug in. I took the truck out and put the hammer down up and down the road for 20 minutes, reset the code with my code reader and it was fixed! So far, so good, hopefully crisis averted. We did keep our August 24th appointment, just in case. 

But the week was not all work, we had something going on almost every day. Wednesday found us in our side-by-side driving through Wind Cave National Park, a short 15-minute drive down the road. 
That night found us in Custer meeting up with Dan and Bonnie for our regular Wednesday night out.
Thursday, we had our neighbors Jim and Carmen over for a supper of Canadian walleye! Friday, we were off to Custer State Park with Dale and Ruth who are still in town for a week. We hiked the Sylvan Lake loop, a beautiful 1.1-mile loop around the lake. It was crowded but not horrible.

That afternoon Jeanie arrived, and we spent the afternoon on the patio catching up. 
Saturday, we hit the stone pretty hard. With both Barb and Jeanie placing stones for me to mud, we went through a bag in short order. Those two then jumped in the side-by-side leaving orders for me to continue with the stone while they were gone. They hit both Wind Cave NP and the Wildlife Loop in Custer SP.
                       Two wild and crazy gals!                                  Jeanie sneaking up on an antelope.

Here is a very short video that Jeanie took while passing through a buffalo herd.
That night, Jeanie went to a party at a friend's house while Barb and I went over to our friends Doug and Lisa's for supper. We had not seen them in several months, so it was great to see them and catch up. 

Sunday found me filling the last of the holes in stone while Barb and Jeanie were inside serenading me with their accordion skills. It sounded like a couple of cats having a back ally fight making me glad that I was outside. Actually, they sounded pretty good, and will be ready for the circuit soon! That night we had a grilled trout that either Barb or I (probably Barb) had caught out of Pactola earlier in the year. 
Monday, Jeanie's last day here, found us at Ditch Creek seeking the ever-elusive rainbow trout!  The trout lived up to their title and did prove to be elusive, but we had a great time!
Jeanie is also training for a 2.1-mile swim in Lake Superior in early August where she will be swimming from Bayfield Wisconsin to Madeline Island. We chose Deerfield Lake for her swim because it is the coldest lake in the area at a chilly 58 degrees, close the 52 degrees she will be experiencing in Superior. 
Luckily, she has this wetsuit, which not only helps keep her warm but also helps with buoyancy! 

What better way to finish off the day and her visit than a visit to The Lost Cabin Brewing Co. which just opened a branch in Hill City!
So there goes another week, sore, tired scarred with broom marks but I survived. Now perhaps I can rest, that is, until she comes up with another project to make me tackle!

54 comments:

  1. That is just a gorgeous stone wall!! Worth every broom mark and holes in your jeans--lol!
    The floor in the workshop turned out great! Sounds like a lot of work to that process--whew! He did a really nice job.
    Always nice to have visits with friends. The buffalo were quite impressive...as was a potential swim in Lake Superior!
    I had a boyfriend back in 1968 who was from Hill City...Minnesota, though. :)
    Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita! We are super excited to have those two projects done.

      Delete
  2. Wow,never a dull moment especially given that “broom “.However much fun & sweat, that rock wall is gorgeous & I’m sure you all will have a great sense of accomplishment every time you see it- congratulations.Good friend(s) & fun breaks to top it all off,hard to beat.All the best- looking forward to the next project/ adventure,lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very proud of our wall and sooo glad that it is done!
      We have our sights on our next project but are approaching it very slowly.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful job on the rock! I smiled at the fix you found for the truck. Well done, young man! I look forward to your next project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, there is something we cannot do. I was tempted to try the floors but glad we hired it out.

      Delete
  4. Oh you poor thing ... beat with a broom in those temperatures? You were probably slacking! LOL. It looks gorgeous, so it was worth the swats!! Love the epoxy floor too ... that sure makes it easy to keep clean. The buffalo ... don't you just love it? Looks like a fun time to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?!? And I was not slacking! Now it is time to get out and enjoy more of the area and one of the main reasons we moved out here.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see what Barb has in store for you next! Maybe she'll trade her broom for a bull whip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wouldn't be surprised at all, my back is get numb to the broom swats.

      Delete
  6. Like us you have a nice backyard near you! The mason does good work--it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have taken those two parks for granted too long. Time to go start enjoying them!

      Delete
  7. Your rock work looks fabulous. I bet you are glad that it's done. Isn't the epoxy floor amazing? We have that in our basement, we love it. Now that you are "done" I bet you already are thinking of other things to do. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a list of projects but we are not jumping right in. Might take it easy for a few days.

      Delete
  8. Those rock walls are quite the puzzle. You’re a brave man (or something else :) working barefoot with rock…looks great! We’re currently in Alberta and visited Elk Island National Park near Edmonton to view the bison herds…saw only one bull on our hike…guess we have to come your way. Hopefully you guys have time to relax now but knowing you two ya just can’t sit still! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The herds around here stay in separate groups. The cows and calves hang out together. The big old bulls are pretty much solitary and hang out way off in the prairie.

      Delete
  9. You sure have adventures! I transplanted lilies, and was fatigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on the weather, even that can be exhausting!

      Delete
  10. The stone looks familiar! I can’t wait to see your place all finished! What a busy time you’ve had! Lots of fun visits though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little socializing is a great way to shed off the stresses of getting beaten with a broom!

      Delete
  11. That was me. Again. Dang blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are meeting up with your brother today. We were wondering if he liked beer, then we remembered he was your brother so of course he does!

      Delete
  12. What a full, full, week! Lots of fun built in, along with the stone work . My husband was a brick Mason, so I know he will like that wall. And the epoxy...good idea to hire that out! Looks great. Now, I wonder what you two will be up to next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! If only you lived closer, he'd have had it done in no time!

      Delete
  13. I love seeing those parks and landmarks and animals (especially the buffalo)...just loved that area of South Dakota! Rock siding looks real good, what a job that was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you are in our area let us know, we'll give you a personal tour!

      Delete
  14. Wow, swimming from Bayfield to the island? She'll definitely need that wetsuit in those chilly waters. I love that part of WI. I'm sure you're glad the stone work is complete. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not imagine swimming that. I'd go 100 yards and be totally exhausted.

      Delete
  15. Well I don't think you could be working that hard. I mean look how long it took you to write this blog and take hundreds of photos. It was so long that I fell asleep in the middle of it. Woke up to the cat licking drool off of my face. I think I will save reading the rest of it for bedtime. Barb has always seemed like a task master in my mind. Thanks for confirming that for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You fall asleep during most commercials so that's not saying much. As for the cat licking drool off your face, that's probably just some backsplash from the soup kitchen.

      Delete
  16. Man, nothing like a swim in Lake Superior. She’ll have to warm up by the fire at Tom’s Burned Down Cafe, once she gets to Madeline Island!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have something like 2 1/2 hours to make it across, otherwise they get picked up by a boat.

      Delete
  17. oooooh this was so funny, you have such a great sense of humor....unless this was true??!!??!! barb is too kind to brow beat you like this!!

    i enjoyed the wildlife, and the video!! 70 degrees for summer sounds pretty awesome and the stone work looks marvelous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally true! I am now healing from the broom bruises, knee scrapes and blistering from the scorching sunburn.

      Delete
    2. ooooooh boy, maybe this should have been a fall project!?!?

      Delete
  18. Do you ever rest? The stone work turned out great and your knees held up for a visit and a hike with friends!
    Good idea to have the workroom done, what a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We rest before 9 and after 4. Between those hours we cannot seem to slow down!

      Delete
  19. The stone work is beautiful! I'm sure you were deserving of all the broom lashes. Love the smile on Barb's face after the torture. Good to see you out having lots of fun. You two do work very hard. Love the new floor! Yes, I'm sure the fish was caught by Barb. Who else would it be! Haha! Dogs??? Hello!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When we are working like that the dogs get neglected. I will work harder on getting some pictures of them this week.

      Delete
  20. Love all these photos. Your stonework is fantastic. I always love the old stonework I see in houses around here. I sometimes wish we had an old stone house with loads of character inside and out, but I suspect they need a bottomless checkbook :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think once we finish grouting our checkbook will feel much better. This should be the last of our big expenditures.

      Delete
  21. Your stonework is fantastic and good weather for stonemasonry. You’ve been working really, Barb too sounds like. I would like that finish on our garage floor. Austin certainly knows what he’s doing. I’m glad you got some fun time after all that, visiting with friends. Great post, reading and photos and video. You all enjoy your weekend coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job guys! The stone work is beautiful! And great fun too! Your gorgeous neck of the woods has a lot to offer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the things that attracted us to this area. It has so much to offer!

      Delete
  23. Barb's broom motivation produced a beautiful wall - good job Barb! The workshop looks very finished - does it keep it any warmer covering the concrete? That trail is so pretty, I'm still hoping to get to Custer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that it will keep it a bit warmer, I guess I'll find out in a few months!

      Delete
  24. I think the broom was a gentle touch, a cattle prod may have been more productive. LOL. However I guess it accomplished it's purpose. The wall looks fantastic, worth all the blood, sweat and tears, pokes, prods, screeching, cussing, ripped pants, shirts and all things. The floor looks amazing as well.
    I loved the fish pic, you look like a kid with his hand caught in the cookie jar.
    It looks like you folks enjoyed your off time! I loved the buffalo pic! Thanks for sharing.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez, remind me not to turn my back on you while doing work! Jeanie told me to make a funny face while she took that fish picture. I think I look like some creepy old dude trying to lure someone in with candy!

      Delete
  25. I know that doing the rocks has to be hard, but wow, it is looking great! I love that look. Looks like you had some fun while you took a break from the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once we get it grouted we are going to seal it which will really make it pop!

      Delete
  26. Thanks Jim, you have made my day :)
    Nothing more enjoyable that a post that makes you chuckle all the way through, but I have to say I am really worried about Barb's broom. If she isn't careful, it might just wear out and she won't be able to use it anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't worry about Barb's broom. She has a back up broom and a cattle prod in case of emergencies!

      Delete
  27. Wow look at that buffalo. The stone work looks exhausting but it will look great in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are hundreds of not thousands of those furry beasts between the two parks.

      Delete