Sunday, August 25, 2024

10-Year Anniversary!

It was 10 years ago this month (I think, or is it 11?) I was freshly retired, looking for something to fill my time, that I asked the fateful question while duck hunting up here. "If you ever need any help, I'd be happy to help". Oh, how I wish I could take those words back. What followed was 10 years of being up here weeks at a time, being ridiculed at every turn, being blamed for every time something got broke, got stuck or basically went wrong. Never mind the fact that it probably was my fault in the first place. It even got to the point where I could be several states away and it was still my fault. It just is not fair!

What started out as a week or two in the fall has morphed into 5-6 weeks in the spring to help plant and 5-6 weeks in the fall for the harvest. This is indeed my home away from home. In fact, between here and Alaska, I will be away from home more this year than I will be there.  

But this year was going to make all that ridicule worthwhile. As I am sure they have something spectacular planned for this momentous anniversary!  What is the appropriate gift for a 10-year anniversary? A new custom-built tractor? An all-expenses paid moose hunting trip to Alaska? Either would suffice. 

My trip up here was just how I like it, uneventful. The terrain goes from dry prairie of South Dakota, eventually to the farm fields of North Dakota.

Sunflower field

 I left on Wednesday evening. Barb and I drove to Rapid City (separately) to do some last-minute shopping and have lunch with our friends Doug and Lisa, our former neighbors before they moved. One of their favorite restaurants is Everest Cuisine in Rapid. It is near the top of the list of Barb's as well. For me, it is pretty much dang near the bottom. But being the selfless person I am, I went along with a smile on my face. This would be the second time I have ever had Indian food. This first time was a complete disaster resulting in my mouth burning from the one and only bite I had. This time went much better as I requested the 0-spice level of my chicken dish. It was good and I'd eat it again. 

But before I talk about farm stuff, let me talk about our adventures earlier in the week. Sunday, we had Dan, Bonnie, Kevin and Cheryl over for a fishapalooza. Salmon and halibut served several ways. It was all so delicious! Of course we had to play dice games. No one won shake-a-day to the pot continues to grow. 

Something was sure funny when I took this picture!

Cheryl and Bonnie each brought a gift. Cheryl, a fireball sign for the gazebo and Bonnie a raving review on Barb's cooking!
Speaking of cooking, the smoker got a workout this week with Cherry-smoked wings, bacon-wrapped meat loaf and venison summer sausage. 
Wednesday, we woke up to a foggy morning. Quiet, cool and foggy. A perfect morning just to sit and watch, really nothing at all. 
I checked the trail cameras before I left. Nothing too new, but some cute pictures of the fawns drinking water. A family flock of turkeys are in the area as well and we did have two mule deer bucks make their first appearance as well. 

Speaking of critters, one day we were driving down the road and just had to stop and take a picture of these two cuties!
What has Barb been up to? Well, she finished two of her projects. Both with the redwood shelves. The first were a couple of scrap pieces (24"x8") which she made into shelves in the laundry room. Both are adorned by gifts our niece Alana gave us. A ceramic French Bulldog and a picture of Alana and Barb holding the pups. 
The second project was three shelves for my vintage duck decoys. Apparently having old decoys scattered around the house (living room, bedroom, kitchen stair landing and loft) are not Barb's thing so she built these shelves so they could all be together! Well, that is not all of them, only about 1/2, but she has consolidated them. 
Oh, I almost forgot! Barb did one more thing this week. She helped Kevin pour more concrete! He called the other day and asked if she would help him the next day. I think "I'd love nothing more!" was her response. Not a huge pour but one that definitely benefited from having and extra set of hands on site. 

Now, back to the farm.....

I am three days into this year's harvest season. (Those days were 12 hours, 14 hours and 16 hours) A typical day looks like this..... We start sometime between 7 and 8 getting things ready for the day; fueling tractors/combines, emptying trucks from the night before, fixing things, moving grain. We cannot start combining until the crops dry out from the dew/rain from the night before. Below are Chris and Farmer discussing the crop moisture in the wheat to see if we are ready to start harvesting and Chris and his dad replacing a motor on the pivot.
This is the view from on top of the combine. The service truck below carries over 400 gallons of fuel and that tank in the back is several hundred gallons of DEF.
We typically cannot get into the field until after 12:00pm, sometimes 4pm, depending on the weather and how the sun/wind dries the crops. Once we get into the field, there are three jobs; combine driver, cart driver and semi driver. So far, I have only driven semi. My responsibility is to pick up the semi in the field once the cart driver (Bob S.) fills them. 
I then drive to the farm, back up to the auger and unload the grain from the truck into a bin. A typical turn for me is one hour from field to farm to field, assuming nothing goes wrong. By the time I get back, the next truck is full and waiting for me and I switch trucks and do it all over again. So, my view from the office every day is basically this....
Of course, sometimes we do the opposite; take from the bin and put it into the truck, or dump straight from the combine into the truck. 

Speaking of things going wrong. Do you notice anything unusual about the picture of this combine?

Yup, the rear wheel fell right off! Apparently, it is a known issue, and Case was supposed to come out and fix it but had not done it yet. So, we were down one combine for an afternoon. Farmer drove to Mandan that night for parts and they had it back up and running the next day. 

Such is life on the farm. It is not a matter of if something will go wrong, it is a matter of when and what it will be. So far, I have dodged the bullet on anything happening to be, but most of you know my track record, so stay tuned to see exactly what it will be!

74 comments:

  1. Wow, it's great you had such a fun-filled send-off. All that fish/smoker goodies looked amazing, and I hope you brought some of the summer sausage with you to console you up at the farm. Love your property and views from the gazebo. Be safe up there, that big equipment bites! 😧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. We had a taste-off on venison sticks and summer sausage. Although mine were good, I have some work to do to compete with these guys!

      Delete
  2. Good morning Jim…oh yummy! Your fishapalooza looks and sounds so yummy! Salmon and halibut are two of my favorite things to eat and I am pretty sure I saw some mac & cheese on the table too! Barb did a great job on the shelves…I love the puppy’s washing station. I so enjoy the farm photos of those beautiful fields of golden grains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people see those fields and see nothing but a boring landscape. Like you, I see nothing but beauty and someone's hard work!

      Delete
  3. Happy farming anniversary…that’s a lot of dedication! Your work experience there is always a good read. Those are some nice looking bucks! Great job on those shelves Barb. Keep all those fingers and toes Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just counted, I have 10 of each. I'll do a recount in a few weeks and see if it comes out the same!

      Delete
  4. 'pour concrete?' - 'There's nothing I'd love to do more!' ... Barb is the Bomb! What a gal! And her shelves look great too.
    The old adage 'If it ain't broke - don't fix it' does not apply much to life on the farm. Everything has to be fixed before it breaks or the ballet in the field is hampered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are spot on with your ballet analogy. If there is a hiccup in one of those cogs, it impacts all the others.

      Delete
  5. You are making good use of that smoker! The food all looks yummy! Barb made some great shelves, looks like she really needed them too! Happy 10th anniversary at the ND farm...hope it is a good harvest...the dew has been sticking around in the mornings and into the afternoon here. Stay safe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Foggy and dewy in the morning. Takes half a day to dry up. That North Dakota winds sure helps though!

      Delete
  6. In recognition of your hugely appreciated 10 year anniversary and outstanding dedication to the farm - I bought you donuts and breakfast sandwiches.
    How's this for sucking up???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good start. I just had a donut. I assumed the one with the sprinkles was for me?

      Delete
    2. Sure. First come first serve. Not sure why it shows anonymous. It should show now that's its the infamous Farmer Bob

      Delete
    3. You can try to be anonymous, but are you ever, really???

      Delete
  7. It AMAZES me the amount of fuel and oil products it takes to operate a farm...so when oil prices zoom upward, the price of food zooms upward too...but somehow it is GREED which is the blame by the current administration, and NOT their policies and mandates THEY TOOK immediately when they came into office. THANK GOD FOR THE FARMERS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've hit right on the point of my next post! You are so right, stay tuned for a few examples next week.

      Delete
    2. Don't know why it made me Anonymous...but that was from me.

      Delete
  8. I felt like I was home on our farm in Illinois! Harvesting time made for long hard work days. The John Deere combine that Dad owned was primitive compared to your photos. South Dakota! We flew into Rapid City and took an 8 day bus tour around the Yellowstone park. It is hard to put into simple words, but my mouth was open as we saw the park and surrounding towns. Farming was a way of life when I was growing up. Baling hay meant hours and hours of work. Mom and I were in the kitchen for those days and hours. thanks for the memory of that time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still happening every day in rural America. Farming is truly a family effort where everyone is involved in one way or another.

      Delete
  9. That meal looked like a feast. Barb is doing a nice job putting the finishing touches on the house. Farming is not an easy life. I remember helping my grandfather a few times with modern equipment Bob would scrap today.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy to think about the equipment they used back in the day, out in the heat, sun and dust while we sit in our air conditioned cabs.

      Delete
  10. Hello,
    I always love a field of sunflowers. My 10 years retirement anniversary will be in December, it feels like yesterday. But, at least I really did retire, no more work for me. Barb's shelves look great. The fish dinner looks delicious. Love the Cows, the Deer and turkeys. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that is my version of Saturday Critters which I look forward to each week from your blog!

      Delete
  11. Happy Anniversary! All the food looks delicious. I like the duck decoys. My father-in-law used to carve ducks, and then painted them. They were all brown and grey hues, except for one white one. I mentioned how much I loved it one day, and my mother-in-law gave it to me. Said he wanted me to have it. The shelves you displayed yours on are very nice. The fawns drinking water is a sweet picture. And the turkey photo is delightful. I used to see them roam my old neighborhood all the time. Funny birds for sure.

    Enjoy the rest of the summer days.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like these old 'working' decoys. Meaning they were actually used for hunting and have character from being tossed around and even shot. Oh, the stories some of these could tell!

      Delete
  12. Happy Ten Years! I hope the harvest goes well this season and you don't get blamed for anything (wouldn't that be a great way to celebrate such a momentous occasion?).
    Love your trail photos. The fawns are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too late for that. I was already being blamed for things before I had even arrived!

      Delete
  13. When we start harvest season, we always figure three things will go wrong nearly right away. Once those are out of the way, we generally hope for smooth sailing for the rest of harvest. Sometimes we get lucky.

    My job was always driving the cart. Wheat harvest would be a piece of cake compared to this year's corn harvest. I imagine that it will be non stop in high gear trying to keep the combined emptied. For us, this year is going to be one for the record books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't do corn, just wheat, peas, beans and canola this year. We are running three trucks with two drivers hopping from truck to truck. Pretty much back to back.
      Good times!

      Delete
  14. Happy 10th! It sounds like a lot of hard work. All that food looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite the send off feast. It must be repeated upon my return!

      Delete
  15. So your retirement has been boring, with nothing to do but sleep and eat, nar you wouldn't like that full and busy and being happy is better, I think........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. Being busy in much better! But, I'll be ready for a break after harvest!

      Delete
  16. Always love to see Barb's projects. If you hadn't shown up, that wheel might have stayed on for years, because you know, everything is your fault. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I grew up on a farm in Arkansas--not as big as the one where you are--but still a farm with all its work, equipment, break downs and dang hard work! I am amazed at Barb's talents--those shelves are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outside of Iowa, Nebraska and North Dakota, farms are just a few hundred acres. Out here farms are measured in the thousands of acres and stretch for miles and miles.

      Delete
  18. On our way home one night last week, combines were in the field, lights one, working away in the dark. I had never see that before. The work is endless. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on the dew and moisture, we will go well into the night, 1-2am. Lately it has been getting to wet about 11pm so we are in bed by midnight.

      Delete
  19. Let's hope Case come and fix that wheel pronto.
    Good seeing the farm equipment and know you work (tongue in cheek). Barb is doing well, she is a mighty hand women.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy anniversary Mr. Farm Helper. Looks like you had a great time before you left--and some great food, too--and things are moving right along. You'll have to let us know if they did anything for your decade of assistance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You sure have epic adventures! It is really interesting, as I've no experiences like this. Hubby grew up on a farm in the 50s, but with no running water or electricity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life without running water and electricity, what would that be like. Kids nowadays would never survive without them. Heck, I doubt I would!

      Delete
  22. Oh boy, time for stories about farming. I don't know why, but I love that stuff. Why don't they let you drive the combine? I would love to drive one of those monsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I guess planting and harvesting are the two most important things parts of the operation. Screw either of those up and it costs you lots of money. Might be a seniority thing too, they do own the farm after all. I have combined once or twice though.

      Delete
  23. Not having a clue, I hadn't thought about delaying the harvest until the crop had dried out. Of course, I should have. It is like mowing the lawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do live different lives, don't we? I find yours just as interesting when I read your posts!

      Delete
  24. FREE LABOR ... what could be better!! I'm not sure I could sacrifice that view from my kitchen window, but tractors are like magnets ... you just can't stay away. Barb has done a fabulous job on your barndominium. That girl is talented!!! Have fun and don't lose any fingers or toes on the farm!! No complaining, you have AC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did not have AC at all yesterday as it was not working in the truck I was in. Windows open though, reminded me of my younger days when that is what you had to do to stay cool!

      Delete
  25. Just another post of how you are so willing to help out other people except the cripple person that could really use the help. Like the person that taught you how to raise up the mirrors on your truck so that you don't look foolish. Why do other people buy you gifts but I try out of the goodness of my heart you stomp on that idea? I'm referring to the "fish finder ordeal of 2024" as it is now called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After receiving that hobo figurine, I just cannot accept any of your generosity. Unless of course it is an ice cold beer. Then I suppose I could accept one, two, or three.....

      Delete
  26. I really enjoy the details of your farming experiences. Both sets of grandparents had fair-sized farms and I loved our annual visits. There are not many "days off" for a farmer.

    Good news about Barb's results, especially the fact she is feeling better.

    Trying to catch up on all the blogs around the planet is not possible. We've been absent due to Gini's ongoing heart/hospital issues.

    I did catch a bit of your last post where you mentioned trigger-finger. It hit me two years ago. Got to the point of having it lock up a couple dozen times a day. No pain but sure was annoying! Finally had an orthopedic doc tell me to take 100mg of Vitamin B complex a day. Now I have a locked finger a couple times a month. Check with a doc and see what they say. (This ain't medical advice, just my story.)

    All this talk of fishapalooza and you have "triggered" me into taking out a package of crappie fillets from the freezer for tonight's dinner.

    All the best y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crappie is my absolute favorite fish to eat. Followed by walleye and salmon.
      Thanks for the tip in vitamin B. I'll give it a shot!

      Delete
  27. Well...congratulations on your 10 or 11 anniversary. Farming? Oh wow....don't I know about farming. Around here, it is a huge Winter ordeal and then when the heat is at its hottest...is when our trees love to grow. Farming is not for sissy's for sure. Barb's projects look very nice. The smoker filled with meats sure looks great....great purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should have som tshirts made up with your 'Farming is not for Sissy's' saying!

      Delete
  28. So interesting, Jim! That large scale farming just blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It sounds like you've had a busy week. But you must like helping with the harvest, even if you spend a lot of time driving a truck. I didn't know you had to wait so long before you could start cutting. And I see you lots of turkeys too. Have a super week. Hope it's not too crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, your wish is not coming true and it's only Monday! I hope the rest of the week goes smoother.

      Delete
  30. Shelves look great! Have fun on the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a grand time and happy anniversary of sorts! I so admire those who farm -- it's super hard work, I think. And that's a long time if you didn't like helping with the harvest, too! Three cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I do like it. Although some days I wish I could teleport myself back home to see Barb and relax in the hot tub!

      Delete
  32. Well Happy Anniversary. My Dad was a big farmer and I remember him being gone long days but my Mom and I would take him lunch. It's definitely a full time job. Those pictures of the game was from a game cam. Nice pictures. Your office view is much better than 4 boring walls. Glad they got that wheel fixed. Your luck sounds like ours some days. And I love the shelves.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing we are working 84-100 hours a week when the weather cooperates. It rained last night here so we don't know if we'll get into the field today.

      Delete
  33. We love to see fields of grain rolling to the horizon. The Palouse really captures our imagination. As a matter of fact, we love to see all the different farming methods and crops as we roll along. I wish farmers (as if they don't have enough to do....) would post a sign or two to tell us what we're seeing (wheat, oats, sorghum, corn, etc.). Dave grew up on a farm and enjoys reading your machinery posts, but is glad his livelihood doesn't depend on keeping them running. Farming is hard work, a life commitment for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can identify most crops on the fly. At least in this area. When we get south, like those fields around Yuma I start to struggle.

      Delete
  34. Oh, you have certainly been busy! I enjoyed your post. Love the fawns. (Dictation typed Fonz! 😆)

    ReplyDelete
  35. It seems that you do not yet truly know the meaning of retired, Jim, because farming is a lot of work. I missed where you drove to.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Anniversary!
    The food looks amazing 😋
    Barb made some great shelves.
    Farming sounds like a lot of hard work.
    Love all the beautiful photos you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb does great work, she should have the table done in a week or two!

      Delete