Friday, June 14, 2024

Fishing Tales from the Alaskan Highway

 

One thing I had totally forgot about since we were up here last time was the amount of daylight up here. Well, I did not forget about it, I just never thought about it. I had an “Oh, that’s right” moment when I woke up in the predawn light. I thought for sure it at least 6:20, then I looked at the clock….3:20am. Same when it was midnight. Although at midnight it is still much brighter. You can pretty much see unaided throughout the night. This has not been an issue for Barb and I, but Zoey is struggling with it a little bit as she thinks daylight means “wake up” time. But we shove her back under the covers and soon she is snoring again. 

Several of you asked if Barb’s fish from the last post was photoshopped at all. I assure you; it was not. First of all, do you really think if I was going to photoshop a photo it would be of Barb holding a huge fish? If anything, I would make the fish smaller! It was really that big! 

That said, I do have some exciting news I did catch a huge fish this week. Way huger than Barb’s! This thing practically covers my entire body. 

Now, some of you may wonder why I have a dazed look on my face it is because I am exhausted from fighting that monster fish! 

We left Muncho Lake with the intention of fishing several pullout areas on our way to our destination for the day: Watson Lake. All the pull-out areas were a bust except our last one, Smith River Falls. We had been there in ’16 and knew where to fish and what to fish with. 

There is a steep stairway down part of it, then it turns to a dirt path, again steep, but not too long. 

The spot we wanted to fish required us to forge a small section of the river, just above our knees. It was surprisingly not too cold. Not nearly as cold as the waters in Muncho.

 

Once we were on the other side and on a little island we started fishing. I caught fish on my first cast, and my second, and my third… Barb was catching fish as well. These were grayling. A totally different species than we were fishing yesterday. A big grayling will be about 18”. I think the biggest we caught was about 14”. 

You could not find a prettier place to fish, the waterfall in the background, the roar of the waterfall. 

Then Barb looked across the river at these tracks going up a bank and said; “I wonder who walked up there?” I looked over and said; “That would be grizzly tracks”. Kinda puts your senses on edge when you know there is a grizzly in the area! We fished there for 2 hours or so catching a couple dozen grayling. We did not keep any as we had plenty of lake trout left in the freezer.

 Then we carried on to Watson Lake to the infamous Sign Forest. If you have never heard of this before it is an area in Watson Lake where travelers from around the world stop and hang a sign. Usually with their name, year and where they are from. But not neccessarily. There were a lot of street signs, town signs, license plates, hats, you name it, it is probably hanging there. Thousands and thousands of signs. 

This year we brought a sign to hang! The hard part is finding an open space to hang your sign, but we did, and I set up trying to take a selfie of all four of us in front of the sign. With great difficulty. We were then rescued by this woman who, in broken English, offered to take our picture.

 

After taking our picture we learned that she was from Brazil and that she and her husband had motorcycled up here. 14,000km’s! Talk about an epic journey, and a sore butt! 

We spent the night, just outside of town in an abandoned gravel pit about ½ mile off the main road. There was one other vehicle there.

 

Then it was off to the big city of Whitehorse! A five-hour day where we saw 10 bear or so, two porcupines, buffalo, several sheep (with babies) and one coyote.




Arriving in Whitehorse we went directly to the brewery where we had a quick lunch in the parking lot before going into sample their brews. Well, Barb sampled their brews, I sampled their single malt whiskeys. 

After that it was off to the grocery store, Walmart, Canadian Tire and Save-on Foods. We could not find any DEF in town, everyone was out of stock. Luckily, I still have half a tank and an extra jug so we should be good, but I had to use one of my extra jugs that day and wanted to replace it.  There are not a lot of free overnight spots in Whitehorse. Most all the businesses have a three hour parking limit, but we did find a nice quiet pull out near the dam on the edge of town. With cell service, so that was a bonus!

Entering back into the U.S. from Canada was a little more interesting this time. We were over our limit on alcohol having just visited a Canadian liquor store. Did you know that Royal Crown (made in Canada) is cheaper up here than the U.S.? Especially when you figure in the exchange rate! I went to the border prepared to pay duty on the extra alcohol. 

When we approached the customs station, he started asking questions. One of the first was whether we were bringing any fruits and vegetables across with us. Barb had just gone to the grocery store in Whitehorse, so I said we had some vegetables. He skipped all the other questions and told us to pull over and someone would be right with us. Another officer came out and started going through our refrigerator pulling out all the vegetables Barb had just bought. The avocados were from Mexico. Can’t have those. The tomatoes were from Mexico. Can’t have those. Green onions? Does not matter where those are from, can’t have those. Eggs? They were from Toronto, those were okay but if it was last week, he would have taken them because Toronto eggs were no good last week. He then went on to say how many hundreds of thousands of birds are dying from avian flu and now beef are starting to get it and even humans. I wanted to ask him if it is really “avian” flu if people are getting it, but thought better of it.

 He looked at our dog food and said he should take it as it was not in its original packaging. Then he started pulling out all the chicken saying; “This is not good, you guys are not doing well”. He was able to determine that the chicken was from the U.S. and let us keep it but did take the jalapenos. He then gave us a pamphlet and said we could go, never even asking about any alcohol, ammo, tobacco or anything else! One of the weirdest crossings we have ever had. 

We then made our way into Skagway. We had reservations at the Garden City RV Park ($50/night) so we would be guaranteed to have a place to park and leave the girls. Skagway has got to be one of the most touristy towns we have been too. Absolutely beautiful driving in. You will not find a more scenic drive on during your entire trip up here. Both times we have come up, this has been our favorite drive. 

But once you get to town it goes downhill. Way too touristy for our liking. There were 4 cruise ships in town. Which takes this town of 1,200 to over 12,000. Everyone walking the streets. 

We went in and out of a couple of shops, but they are mostly the same with the same product at the same prices. Barb bought a Skagway ornament for the Christmas tree. We did go in one shop that had mammoth tusks for anywhere from $110,000- $238,000. We thought about picking up a couple but just did not know where we would display them. We then went to the fur store where we looked at a couple fo $10,000 fur coats. But they were on sale and a bargain at $7.500! We passed on those as well. Instead we went to Skagway Brewing for lunch. Barb had a flight, I had a beer and we split an appetizer basket of fries. Total $51.00. Typical tourist pricing. We then walked down the street and what do we see? Klondike Brewing! $17 later we walk out having shared a flight of rather nasty tasting beers. 

We decided that we had enough and were walking back to the RV Park when we saw a sign for Skagway Distilling! Well, how can we not go there and talk distilling with the master distiller? By now all the cruise passengers had returned to their ships so we were the only two in there and had a pleasant conversation with the distiller. Ends up they really do not distill here, but have neutral spirits shipped in in barrels that they then convert into vodkas and gins. The guy was really nice though. Barb and I split a $12 drink and headed back to the campground.

The next morning, we were lined up at the ferry terminal for our trip over to Haines. Barb went in to get our tickets, we were measured, and we waited. As we were waiting, I looked at our tickets. One adult, one SRC. What is SRC you ask? Well, that stands for senior citizen! I gave Barb crap out being sooo old! Hey, I have to do it while I can, right?

The fare was $190 or so, $50 more than when we went in '16. The ferry was over an hour late, but eventually we were headed on board and on our way to Haines. 


It is only 20 or so miles across the water, several hours if you drive around and take the long way. 
The girls had to stay in the camper for the hour-long trip, but before we knew it, we were pulling up in Haines. 
Haines is a town that we could certainly see ourselves living in in another life. So beautiful! The town is not nearly as touristy as Skagway and has a more down to earth feel to it. We walked this town as well, visiting both the brewery and distillery. When we were leaving the distillery, we saw this truck parked out front. I am pretty sure Barb wanted to jump in with him and head off to Barbie Land, but I managed to wrangle her back into our truck and head on our way. 

When we were here in '16 we fished for Dolly Varden in the river, Barb out fished me on that outing. Now it was my turn to exact my revenge! Results? 12-1 Barb. To be fair, I was using a flyrod and she was using a spinning rod with a spoon. Much easier to catch fish with her method. 

Here's the thing about Barb, when she out fishes me, everyone knows it. Every time she catches a fish, she shouts out "6 to 0!", "7-0!", you get the idea. Not only that she does a little happy dance out if the middle of the river. I am sure on lookers think she is disturbed and wonder why I just don't push her over and let the current carry her away. I mean seriously, act like you've been there before. Did I dance around Smith River Falls shouting to the grizzly bears that I out fished my wife? No, I acted like an adult, humble, mature, like a civilized human being. Not like some lunatic who is touched in the head. 

At the end of the day, it was 12-0. There is no way I was going to leave that river skunked so I grabbed her spinning reel, handed her my flyrod and started casting. Barb headed for the truck, and I stayed an extra 5 minutes finally catching one. I looked around to show her, but she was nowhere in sight. Getting back to the truck she starts doing the senior citizen shuffle singing "12-0, 12-0". I told her I caught one and she says, "Prove it, I never saw it". Rather than argue with her, I just put the rods in the camper, jumped in the truck and headed back to the campground. Momma always told me, never argue with a crazy woman. 

71 comments:

  1. Go BARB!! Sorry, I really can't picture her dancing around like a disturbed person, I think you need to capture that on video or it didn't happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a new mission in life! Well, two. One, to capture her dance on video. Two, survive posting it on the blog!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful spot to fish below Smith River Falls. Those grizzly tracks would concern me too. 😳 It’s amazing how experiences with border guards at different crossings can be uneventful or intimidating. Maybe with the high cost of groceries this is how some of them shop! 🤣 Seems Barb is still on a roll when it comes to fishing but I’m still rooting for ya Jim. Safe travels! 🍻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It nice to know I have at least one person rooting for me! Truth be told, I love seeing her face when she catches big fish. Worth every bit of humiliation I get.

      Delete
  3. I think something like extra daylight would come as a surprise for many.
    Me and fishing don't mix
    It would be frustrating being told over and over by customs can't have that, can't have this.
    Some damn good photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now there is 22 hours of daylight and no real dark. Zoey has learned to sleep under the covers.

      Delete
  4. You are in very beautiful country with plenty of good fishing. Although the thought of grizzlies lurking around every corner would be unnerving to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why we never look around corners! We just live obliviously like they are not even there.

      Delete
  5. Glad you are both enjoying your return to Alaska.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your fishing.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey we went to Thurs falls but I couldn’t get the fuddy duds to go down the stairs! Good fishing. WoW the ferry ride us more than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unbelievable. You should have pushed him down the stairs, at least then he would have been down there!

      Delete
  7. Did the Sign Post Forest still have your previous sign?
    The Walmart in Whitehorse looked to be a major camping spot for seasonal workers. I'm so envious of your blue skies !!! We had 52 consecutive days of rain, no sunlight at 3:20 am, just a rhythmic pitter patter. Enjoying your each stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We looked for our previous sign, but couldn't find it. The were signs much older than our one from '16, so I am guessing it is still there somewhere.

      Delete
  8. I loved Skagway because my Great-Grandmother Burdick's Sister and Husband lived there, last name Dedman. There is an old Hotel downtown with a golden roof...that was there Hotel, now called the Golden North Hotel. We stayed at that RV Park, it was only $38. As for Barb's fishing, you have nothing to worry about UNLESS she starts singing Brad Paisley - I'm Gonna Miss HIM (instead of Miss Her)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I missed my opportunity to walk into town like I knew someone! That RV park has really gone downhill. Hadn't been mowed in weeks. Water and sewer at the site we inoperable. Just a $50 dump.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your big catch. Yes, you look stunned, there is a saying 'look like a stunned mullet', guess you've heard of it! No offence intended either.
    Love all the videos, they are all good. Beautiful scenery.
    Quarantine can be a pain; we have quarantine rules going between some States in Australia and we know about them and not what to take leaving our food till be have passed quarantine station. However, some people don't know and get caught.
    Be safe and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of that expression before. But then again, we are about as far away from mullet as we can get. Maybe it's a coastal thing.

      Delete
  10. The adventures continue. What amazing scenery and so many animals. That is truly a beautiful destination. I would sure like to do it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had really forgotten how beautiful those two areas are. I could sit and stare at the mountains around Haines for days, weeks, maybe months.

      Delete
  11. That was certainly a beautiful spot for fishing! We too thought Skagway was gorgeous but way too many tourists. We stealth camped in a parking lot one of the shop owners told us about. Haines was as far as we went on the ferries when we took our ferry trip with friends in trucks with truck campers. We too like Haines and one of our Montana friends/neighbors has a sister who lives there. Keep fishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haines is much more our vibe than Skagway. It had a Mayberry feel to it. Kids riding bikes, playing ball and just being outdoors.

      Delete
  12. I'm loving your writing. I haven't fished since I was cane pole fishing as a child, and your descriptions are fun to read. The scenery up there is stunning. I'm surprised there's so much variation at the border crossing. It must make it impossible to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if one really reads the regulations you would know better and not even bring those things, but we've never been asked before so maybe we were just getting a little complacent.

      Delete
  13. You are having fun for sure, tell yourself that when she's hoppin' up & down. Nice fishing surroundings, especially at that waterfall. Love the "signing spot", there was one in the Bahamas that we added our sign to back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would love to boat on down to Bahamas and include a sign down there. Maybe someday....

      Delete
  14. Oh DEAR. So much to unpack here. Let's start at the bottom and work our way up. CORRECT: Never argue with a crazy woman. Or a woman, to be more succinct. Happy wife, happy life. Most important two-word answer you will ever utter: Yes Dear. OK so, my TG has a tshirt that says, five facts about my wife. I may not be able to remember them all but they include she is my queen, she has anger issues, she mouths off all the time (or words to that effect) and my favorite, mess with her and they'll never find your body. Haaaha!!! OK next, WHAT in the world was up with that border crossing person? Did he want to make a salad? And bringing up avian flu ... just abSURD. But I am curious ... you don't have to answer, but do you travel with any firearms? I ask because we have some friends who a few years ago went all up in the northeast and up into Canada, planning to go up into Montreal where they had hotel reservations. But he had a pistol under the seat and they turned them back, no sir, no way. They did not go to Canada. Since you mentioned that they did not ask about ammo, I assumed you had some and so I wondered if you got into Canada with a firearm, unless Barb uses the ammo to shoot you through her teeth, hahaha! Next, have y'all never heard of waders? It hurt my heart to see your beloved forced to endure that freezing water on her bare legs! I'd rather chew broken glass than go fishing but at least I know from waders, having seen A River Runs Through It, hahahaa! And you are done for the day my friend because one, I'm glad it wasn't only me who accused you of photoshopping that ginormous fish with Barb, and two, I laughed OUT LOUD at "you" with the dazed look on your face, holding a minnow. I have a feeling that will be the money shot from this whole trip, hahahhahaaa! You guys keep having a great time! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing about all the vegetables he took. They were unopened and factory sealed. You know they just take those home.

      We usually have a pistol with us, but never in Canada, nor any ammo. Just not worth the hassle. We do carry bear spray to use on any unwanted intruders.

      As for the waders, she does have a pair, but decided to just got with the shorts. Although she was mortified that I videoed her and included a picture of her in shorts!

      Delete
  15. Outstanding adventures!
    You're encountering a lot of really beautiful scenery. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    I just can't believe Barb would be doing a happy dance in the middle of a stream just 'cause she caught more fish than you. Thank goodness men are much more sensible and would never stoop to rubbing it in if we were to accidentally catch more than our crazy women. Nope. We're much better than that.

    Stay safe y'all. Let us know how things go in Alaska. And get yourself a spinning rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?!? I actually do have a spinning rod with me, but was working on my flyfishing skills. Perhaps it is time to break that rod as well.

      Delete
  16. I am enjoying this trip and your sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your trip sounds great but I am not so sure about seeing so many bears. I would have liked to have seen a porcupine though - the only one I have ever seen was squashed flat on the road and a bit whiffy. Did have a giggle at your customs experience, they seem to be different every time in what they want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bears are actually pretty docile and afraid of you. Until they're not. Then you've got a problem.

      Delete
  18. Such a beautiful area of the world. Let’s face it, Barb’s got you beat with the fish! lol. Lots of fun, you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not admitting it just yet. If she is still in the lead after we go halibut fishing, then I will admit defeat.

      Delete
  19. Stinkin’ USDA. They took a bunch of our food in Maine in August of 2001 coming down from Nova Scotia. Mad Cow Disease was their reasoning that time. Diana argued with him over our two burger patties, as that was our dinner that night. He let us keep them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just see Diana arguing with him, but that does explain where and when you contracted the Mad Cow disease!

      Delete
  20. Have fun in Alaska. We sure did.
    Just wait for the halibut competition. You'll clean up Jim! I saw them pull a 150 pounder out at Valdez.
    Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to be halibut fishing in the next week or two. Hopefully the halibut Gods look upon me favorably.

      Delete
  21. I wonder what the crossing guards do with the things they confiscate? Maybe it was grocery day:) Yeah Barb you go girl ...you are a Fishin' Crazy Woman!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know enough cops to know exactly what happens to confiscated items. They certainly do not go to waste!

      Delete
  22. Great post! I laughed out loud a few times, pretty funny stuff, Jim! I think your trip has made me glad I will never make that journey, although I wanted to when I was younger. Too cold, too light, and so little green lol! But beautiful scenery for sure. That waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am glad we were able to cure that itch for you. That would have been a long journey from your side of the country!

      Delete
  23. Enjoying every post...and the videos!
    The border patrol crossing was quite weird.
    Gorgeous landscapes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am try to include a few more videos. They seem to add more than just pictures.

      Delete
  24. Your travel adventures are very interesting. I'm enjoying the narrative, the wildlife and the scenery in a country I'm not familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to compare wildlife notes. I bet there are some similarities, but a lot of differences.

      Delete
  25. This post made me chuckle. With huge fish like that one, you could eat for weeks. I didn't know that about Alaska. Here in Hawaii, it's always dark at midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh those mountains! Love the sign place. Cool that you got the chance to hang your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mountains here are incredible, we forgot how beautiful they are.

      Delete
  27. That sign forest is epic and a reason to travel there to see who has come before. Btw the border crossing and checking into the USA has many stories we can tell about. Some you just have to shake your head! How cool to encounter all that wildlife and get an opportunity to take a photo. Your fishing stories are funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be a method to their madness. It seems each crossing has its own focus on what they ask about.

      Delete
  28. Wow, what a trip! New to the blog but looks like a whole lot of fun. Especially the beer tasting but then again, my husband and I do a lot of that. Not so much the fishing but maybe when we get older and don't have kids at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, then you are in the right place! We are iat The Girdwood Brewing Co. right now.

      Delete
  29. You are just too funny!! We are loving coming along on this trip, you are just such a great writer we can visualize so well haha. The crossing was ridiculous, guessing he just wanted to fill his fridge at home. Wow those prices in Skagway were ridiculous! Love that you were able to find a spot for your sign..so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They said they were in the process of closing on one mammoth tusk for $182,000. I have to wonder who buys those and how much money one has to spend that much one something to look at.

      Delete
  30. We are planning to go to Alaska next year for our anniversary, but won't be having the great road trip that you and Barb are on. Skagway must really be a popular cruise destination and so now I wonder if it will be in our itinerary. As i was reading about the Canadian customs telling you about all the food and chicken you could not have, I wondered what was going to happen to everything and then thought how mad I would have been to have spent $ on items that would be taken away. So, now I know bring alcohol and not food if entering into Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Luckily everything they took was less than $20. Skagway and Haines are popular cruise destinations. However you get up here, it is worth the trip!

      Delete
  31. haha, for a min there I thought, wow, what a big fish! Till I realized that it was a big ole fake job! haha....Love all the pics. Looks like you are having a great time being out and about traveling here and there. Keep the pics coming, I love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least someone thought I caught a big fish if only for a few seconds! We have moved on to salmon fishing now, so it is time for redemption!

      Delete
  32. I've had varying results too cross the border. We've had fruits confiscated before and other times they ignored them. Once I was hassled for bring Wisconsin maple syrup across to give as a gift to a Canadian in Toronto. They gave me a pass if I promised to buy some to take back across the border!

    I have never been to Haines but once met a woman from Haines on a dory trip down the Grand Canyon. From the way she talked, it was just south of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haines is like heaven on earth. You certainly can't beat the scenery while you are beating the mosquitoes!

      Delete
  33. Hi... oh my goodness about your time with the customs... Good Grief.
    I am a new follower.. glad I found you ... fun posts. Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our most recent entry back into Alaska was a breeze! Maybe Skagway was a one off.

      Delete
  34. Hope you totally enjoy your Alaska visit and I hope you are able to haul in a lot of halibut and other fish. This is exactly what my husband wants to do. He fished in Ketchikan a few years ago and wow....fresh Alaskan fish is so much better than anything we could ever catch here in Texas. I am so enjoying this adventure you and Barb are on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going halibut fishing tomorrow! I'll post how we do. If you send me your email address in a comment, I will send you our itinerary. I will not publish the comment with your email address in it.

      Delete
  35. Hello,
    Congrats to Barb, she is the best fisher-women! Cool photos of the bear, bison and goats. I like the place where everyone leaves a sign, great photo of you two with your sign. The mountain view and the waterfall are gorgeous. Great post and photos. Have fun, safe travels. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No argument from me. She is by far the best, prettiest and most intelligent fisher-woman!

      Delete
  36. I can't figure out why your blogs are not coming through ... though I did comment on the last one. My best fishing advice is that you throw away your rod and grab your shotgun. I think you would have much better luck that way. 12-0. 12-0 !!!!! Barb Wins!! I stayed with friends in Skagway for a couple of weeks. Half the town is owned by the same family (the one we stayed with), so there's that. Sadly, it's become a cruise ship town of epic proportions. My only other advice is one ... never buy vegetables before you cross the border and two .... never tell them if you DO!! And yes, humans can get avian flu (remember I used to raise exotic birds), but it's not a thing at the moment. Only people flu is going around, which of course they say is CoVid once again. A GREAT trip for sure!!! I hope to go next year in case you want to try beating Barb at fishing again!

    ReplyDelete