Friday, July 26, 2019

Fish On!

Thousands of bodies lay upon the battlefield, bloody from the weeklong massacre. It was not pretty but it was necessary.

This is the scene within our truck camper after one week alone in the Canadian bush. The battle was mainly against me and the mosquitoes. They were no match for our electronic tennis racket as I swung it through the camper getting a little joy each time I heard the “pop” and watched their little bodies flutter to the floor (or table, or counter and wherever they happened to land). I was winning the war against these nasty little buggers. I am however, losing the war against the laundry and dishes that, along with my fried little nemesis are littering every nook and cranny of the camper. There will be no photographic evidence of this battlefield as if I have any hope of Barb returning to me I need her to think this is all a fictional scene……..

After dropping Barb, Forrest and Lily off at the Rapid City airport I started my 8 hour trek to "The Farm" in Douglas North Dakota. I was not sure if I was going to drive it all the way through or stop somewhere along the way. A couple hours into my trip I received a text from Barb with just two words “Flight delayed”. Bummer, I sure hope it is not delayed too long as I am hours away headed the wrong direction and they don’t have any way to get back home should the flight get canceled.

A couple hours later I received another text from Barb “Flight canceled, trying to get another flight into Denver tonight”. Long story short they did get into Denver that night, got a room at 1:00am for $313 and were back at the airport again at noon the next day trying to get on a 7pm flight into Medford Oregon. They were able to get tickets for that flight but guess what? It was delayed as well. They eventually made it to Medford over a day late and very, very exhausted.

I on the other hand motored through 8+ hours and got to the farm at about 10:30pm where I just climbed in back and went to sleep. I spent the next day hanging with the Finken/Sobieck gang. There have been lots of changes since we were last up here in the fall of ’18. The most significant being the birth of Calvin, the third boy of the Chris and Holly clan. Looks like they are setting up the farm for the next generation! In addition they acquired several hundred new acres of property, a new sprayer, a new farm truck and several new and HUGE grain bins. Farmer Bob sent me this picture shortly after one of them was installed. These bins are 48’ in diameter and will hold 50,000 bushels!  
Most of all it was just great seeing everyone, I just wished Barb was there with me…… Early the next morning I was gone before anyone was up and hit the road. According to Google Maps, the drive to Pasha Lake Ontario was 16 hours; across North Dakota, into Minnesota, crossing into Ontario and then east to Thunder Bay and eventually Pasha. Again, I did not know how far I was going to drive, depended on how tired I got......820 miles and 18 hours later I pulled into Pasha at 2:00am exhausted but I was there!

That day I did not do a whole lot, mainly just got set up and waited for my friend Bob to show up with his group. For 5 years in a row he was bring a group of 6 guests up for a company retreat. Some of them are experienced fisherman while for others it may be their first time. So I try and help out where I can. The next day we went to Onaman Lake. For those of you have not read about Onaman in the past it is known for it’s walleyes, both in numbers and size. It is also a little over a mile hike back to the lake with poles, bait, gas and gear so you get a workout to boot!
Joe, Mark and I headed out to the hotspot!

Bob and Kurt in search of the mighty walleye!
I of course have my GPS hummingbird fish finder along which has many of the hotspots marked on it from years past and it was not long before someone was shouting "Fish on!"
Mark and I with a couple of nice Onaman 'eyes

Joe fell in love over and over again!

Bob with one of many 22"'ers
One thing I like to do when fishing a spot is drop a marker buoy when we catch our first fish. Since walleye are school fish this provides us with a good reference as to where the school was at that given time. We will then fish around that buoy until the fish move on. Invariably I have to tell my boat companions the story of when my sister was fishing up here with her husband. I won’t mention her name to protect her identity but it starts with a J and ends with a Y. Anyway, we were fishing a particularly rugged area and I had dropped a buoy right where the fish were. If you right next to the buoy you were catching fish, 10 yards off and you weren’t. They would fish next to the buoy and catch a fish or two then drift off and stop catching them. I would then tell them “You need to fish next to the buoy”. They would move back over and eventually drift off again and I would repeat “You need to fish next to the buoy!” After about 5 or 6 times of this my sister turns to me and says “Why do the fish like the buoy so much?” I remember it like it was yesterday, I laughed so hard I was crying and once she realized what she said she was as well.
Pink attracts some of the larger female fish!

After telling that story to the guys in the boat they would make comments every time we dropped a buoy at a new spot; “Oh good, they will now come and hang out by the buoy” “Do you find they like one color buoy over another?”. Or my favorite “Maybe we should drop a buoy so we can start catching fish”. My sister does not know it (until now) but years later she is still providing laughs to countless guys I get to fish with. I am sure that as she reads this she will have a smile on her face and want to punch me at the same time. But hey, I am hundreds of miles away and what is she going to do?!?!?

For lunch we stopped by one of the islands and had us a nice walleye snack!
Greg filleting some fish for shore lunch

Bob cooking up some fish
Does not get any fresher than that!

Steve and Mark listening to Joe pass along words of wisdom



We actually fished Onaman several times this week with equal success. Each boat landed between 100 and 200 walleyes a day averaging between 20 and 22 inches. The biggest walleye for the week was just over 30”’s and the biggest northern almost 38"'s
Joe with a nice 24


Looks like I got caught napping again!
With their week done, Bob and his crew have left with lots of fish, some great memories and some stories to tell. Me? I am thinking about doing the dishing and a little laundry while waiting for Barb to return from California. In the meantime I have all 4 different colors of my marker buoys ready for my next trip so I can really see, which color does attract the most fish!

32 comments:

  1. What a wonderful fish story and some amazing looking fish you caught and some tasty meals as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much better than pan fried or deep fried walleye, but grilled is hard to beat as well!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the dishing and the mosquito battle. I am so tired of feeding those little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet, you guys went from Alaska to Minnesota and did not get a break from them!

      Delete
  3. Better get the battlefield cleaned up before the boss arrives. lol Hopefully not to many of the little buggers at Pasha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually one of the better times of the year up here for mosquitoes. They are still annoying but not unbearable.

      Delete
  4. What a great post!! Laughed my way through. The only thing missing was Barb to out fish you...just saying!!! Hope you got the camper cleaned up before the boss returned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For once in my life I don't have to worry about being out fished by her! But I would rather have her here to do it instead....

      Delete
  5. You could try coating a marker buoy with fried mosquitos....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Dave are playing the same tennis game, he loves his electronic racket...he also has a salt rifle for the flies. Hope you get it all cleaned up before Barb gets back. Great fish story and a successful trip :) Hiking with Curt & Glenda at Saguaro Lake, Glenda saw these white birds on the lake...when we got closer we saw they were buoy birds, she's been a great sport about it ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a fun device in a weird sort of way. We have yet to cross paths with Curt and Glenda but they look like a fun couple.

      Delete
  7. Loved your post. Meant to comment before but been too occupied with our puppies and family business over in Germany. You are so determent driving for 18 hours straight. Wow, thats a lot of fish you guys got. That could feed us a whole season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those puppies will certainly keep you busy! I had fish 4 times in the last week and am not sick of it yet!

      Delete
  8. Poor Barb. We just had the delayed flight experience last Monday from Winnipeg...only saw 3 mozzies.
    I miss that kind of fishing. Enjoy Pasha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You either need to come up here or we will meet you in Manitoba one year so we can get out on the water together!

      Delete
  9. You have a flare for writing and always get me to laugh. Thank goodness for bug zappers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I was able to get a laugh out of you, I wished I was there to see it. I have never seen a rat laigh before!

      Delete
  10. Nice fish!!! You'll think I'm crazy, but I sprayed the outside of the door and the door frame. No mosquitos. They do grow them rather large up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you are crazy at all. We have done the same thing when we see hundreds of them camped out of the screen door just waiting for you to open it.

      Delete
  11. After reading your latest story, I'm even more regretful that I didn't stow away in your rig like I had threatened to. I could have even helped with the driving and fishing. Crops are turning fast, some of which is from the lack of rain and the hot sunny days. Will be combining peas by next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you imagine what this camper would look like if both of us were staying in it?!!? Mountain Dew cans everywhere!

      Delete
  12. Looks like some great times and nice fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be better if Barb was here but it is good to get back out on some of these lakes!

      Delete
  13. Cute buoy story. That is a lot of fish you all caught. I wonder if there are any left in the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there is plenty left, we kept a couple to eat but the rest of them are waiting for the next fisherperson to come through!

      Delete
  14. Too funny! That fishing looks awesome. Adding to our bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im not a fishing person, but I love your fishing stories especially this one is sprinkled with buoys scenario. That's a lot of fish and would love a taste of any of those.
    I think that since both of you had been working too hard together, your separate trips will make you appreciate more each other, sort of alone time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right about that but I don't think Barb is having as much fun as I am!

      Delete