Saturday, April 2, 2022

The Joys of Grandparenthood!

 There is nothing that brings a smile to a grandparent's face and a glow in their heart like watching their grandchildren. Watching your lifelong dreams and wishes come true as you watch your dear sweet grandchild treat their parent just as your child treated you the day you yelled "I hope someday you have a child just like you!"

What parent hasn't thought or even said those words? I was reminded of that scenario when our daughter Jessica called to tell us a story about her precious 8-year-old little girl. Now, Jessica was a pretty good kid growing up a little sass but not too much. The most challenging thing about raising her was her competitiveness. She had to win everything she participated in. Her main sport growing up was skiing. Downhill slalom. She was good.....and competitive. If she did not get first there was no consoling her. She was not sad, she was mad. You could not even talk to her, you just had to leave her alone. Often times if she did not win she would go directly to the car get in the back seat and not say a word the entire ride home. Oh, and it was not just skiing. To this day, Barb and I will not play board games with her as we were too traumatized from having boardgame after boardgame flipped in the air when she would learn she was not going to win. Whoever owns that house now is probably still finding Monopoly pieces tucked in vents and crevices in that house. 

So, when she called the other day to tell us how frustrated her little girl is because the other girls on her soccer team were not as fast or as good as her, all we could do is laugh. And they have not even played, let alone, lost a game yet! Payback is so sweet sometimes!  

Don't let those innocent smiles fool you, mother (left) and daughter (right) both have the same competitive streaks!

We had one big project this week. Here's a clue.....does anyone know what this tool is for? If you have ever done any concrete work, you definitely know!

That is a rebar tying tool. To the left of it are the ties. The first step in preparing the garage was getting everything flat and level at an even 4". Next up is to lay out the rebar in a 2'x2' grid and tie all the sections together. Each and every one of those intersections have to be tied. Roughly 150 ties.
Once that was done I put the form board on the left side and we were ready for concrete!
The truck arrived promptly at 9:30 and backed right into the garage. It sure is nice having tall garage doors that he could back right into, saved a lot of wheelbarrow time! We poured 1/3 at a time. laying out about 10', screed it, bull float it and carry on to the next 10-foot section.  
We had the whole thing poured in about an hour. Once it was all poured Kevin bull floated it and Barb did the edging. Me? Well, the picture below speaks for itself. That's me, on the left supervising Kevin has he hand finished the entire pad. He would bounce around on two pieces of Styrofoam putting the final touches on it.(see above right picture). 
Well, while Kevin was doing some of that Barb and I led the concrete truck down to the windmill where we pour the sonotubes for the windmill bases.
Just as we were finishing up and the truck was coming up the valley is started snowing. We finished just in time! All in all we finished at 3:45, a little over 6 hours from start to finish. 

We did get a couple of other small jobs done this week. We finished the dog wash and the dogs are excited for heir first showers! 

Zoey does not mind going in there, but Dakota was less than excited. 
This week was not all work however, we did get out a couple of times to go shed hunting. The deer and most of the elk have shed their antlers so we set out to find some! I got out three times with Barb and the dogs and once with Kevin. On our trek Barb and I checked out the calving situation at the neighbor's ranch. 


Another day we jumped in the side by side to search another area.
We walked several miles in some of the most beautiful country you will find. It is like looking for a needle in a haystack but even if you do not find any sheds, it is great to get out and see the country. 




One of our adventures brought us to the border of Wind Cave NP

Alas, Barb and I did not find any but Kevin did find this beauty!
We also got out on the town twice this week! Once over to our friends Doug and Lisa where Lisa cooked up the trout Doug and I caught the week before and another night we went to the Do It Best customer appreciation event at The Beacon in Custer.
In other news, I got Barb's sliver out! Remember how Barb had gone to the doctor not once but twice in an attempt to get this yearlong sliver out of her finger only to end up with stiches and a referral to a general surgeon? Well, I did not know I was a General or a Surgeon, but I went after it with a nail clipper, created a hole, squeezed her finger and that sucker popped right out! Barb threw it away before I could get a picture of it but Barb says her finger feels much better. Well except for that hole I dug in it!

With Mother's Day fast approaching I think I found the perfect present for Barb. No, it is not a new rifle or even anything hunting related. Check these babies out! What woman would not just die for a pair of these?
She can simultaneously mop the floor as she is preparing meals in the kitchen. Genius! Dino, Harry, all you guys out there should follow my lead and buy these for your spouses. Trust me, it will make for a Mother's Day you will never forget!

38 comments:

  1. What a beautiful area even if you didn't find anything. I bet the dogs love going out four wheeling. Poor Dakota...not a bath friend even if the shower is the best in the state. I said that phrase to our daughter all the time!! Can't imagine where your daughter got her competitiveness!!!! Gee, wouldn't be from her parents!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, she gets it from Barb! Dakota's favorite time is out in the woods walking. She runs from brush pile to brush pile looking for rabbits. She usually finds one or two an outing, then the chase is on!

      Delete
  2. Oh man .... I need those slippers!!!!!!! Pouring concrete is way too much work, but you did a great job supervising!! My Cooper won't do bath time unless there's a rubber mat down. He freaks when he loses his footing. Love the Forest Service poster. Is that supposed to help if you are lost???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pouring itself is not too bad. The prep is tedious but, it is the finishing that takes all the skill and energy. Dakota is very floor sensitive as well, I bet a mat would help!

      Delete
  3. I can see the sign at the road: “General Jim’s 5-Star Sliver Service”. It won’t be long and you’ll have your own customer appreciation night at The Beacon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I need to do is buy a keg and offer up free beer, then I will get all sorts of appreciation!

      Delete
  4. The cleaning socks are just too funny. Do buy with caution though, as I don’t think they will be a big hit. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, perhaps it would be a better idea to wait until Christmas and Santa can bring them!

      Delete
  5. Y'all sure know how to have fun, all that concrete work in one day?! That is beautiful country around there, obviously SD is a state we've shamefully neglected in the past - ooops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. South Dakota is really a hidden gem, and we are okay with that. But if you ever do make it out this way, look us up!

      Delete
  6. Wow the concrete work looks great. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy your countryside. Good luck with those slippers. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to try and get out today again as well. We need to just put the work aside for an hour or two every day and enjoy life a little more!

      Delete
  7. Yep…I always tease our kids that payback is a bitch when the grandkids act up. You guys sure have some beautiful country there. Your slipper recommendation reminds me of the time years ago when Dianne wanted a portable dish washer. I offered to buy her roller skates…LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure your roller skate recommendation went over about as well as my slipper idea! Not to worry, the bruise will heal soon!

      Delete
  8. Did you charger her surgeon's prices, and if so, did she pay the bill??? Just think how many 'slippers' you buy with that money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could buy slippers for all my friend's spouses! But sadly, she did not pay me anything.

      Delete
  9. Good times for sure. Please post a picture of you after you give Barb her "perfect" present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I am able to use my arms to take a selfie I will post a picture!

      Delete
  10. Sure do miss that beautiful scenery!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is here waiting for you next time you are in the area!

      Delete
  11. Congrats Dr Nelson on your successful surgery! Beautiful area you are in--truly God's Country.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really something about the sliver! Excellent work! Love all the beautiful outdoor pictures, nice that you both got out for a bit! It's easy to keep working on things that need to be done, enjoying the outdoors is fun! Gotta love those slippers! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to try and get out one or two more times before we leave but we also have a list of things we would like to accomplish as well. Hopefully we can get both done!

      Delete
  13. I am glad you were able to fix Barb's finger. Nothing more annoying than persistent finger pain and no one to care for you or sympathize with you. Nope. As far as the slippers Lisa would love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you just guessing that chronic hand/finger pain is annoying, or do you have some personal experience with it? If you have, why have we not heard about it?

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful area. Room to explore. The socks wouldn’t be a hit in this house. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you live in a beautiful area as well! I doubt those socks would be a hit in many households especially for Mothers Day!

      Delete
  15. That is such a cute dog wash! I have not seen anything like that! Grandchildren are wonderful for so many reasons, but especially when they cause their parents a little "grief" with similar behaviors that they had when they were growing up. My son was a hellion in high school. I wouldn't wish that on his son, but it would be interesting payback :)

    Again, thanks for visiting my blog :)

    betty
    https://benchsnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some sick satisfaction isn't there?!!? Looks like you have a very interesting blog, we will be visiting in on it going forward!

      Delete
  16. oooooh i LOVED this, what a hoot, i am so happy you found me!! i do not have grandchildren and i am a little ok with that. all that babysitting....hehehehe!! i have lot's of great nieces and nephews, 2 girls i am super close to. man i am so happy when they arrive, i just can't love on them enough. when they leave, the hubs and i sing "happy days are here again"!!! i do agree, payback is so sweet!!

    nice concrete work, we were in construction our entire working lives!!!

    and by the way, those slippers will NOT be on my wish list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only get to see our grandkids once or twice a year as they are on each coast, but we do get to talk to them every couple of weeks and hear what they are up to when we talk to our kids.

      Delete
  17. That story about your daughter and grand daughter sounds all too familiar. The problem is that I am the competitive one. My parents have wished a child on me that was just like me. I thought I was safe when none of my kids had this character flaw. Well now my grandson is just like me only worse. When he is at his worse, they blame it on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least you skipped a generation, and now you can watch from the sidelines and enjoy the show!

      Delete
  18. For some reason, if I comment from my iphone it doesn't seem to post. Unless you're blackballing me? So if you're getting this one, it's because I'm on my PC.
    The concrete looks great. I'll bet you're glad that's done. Cute granddaughter story. Nice shed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would never blackball you, I was wondering where you were!

      Delete
  19. I actually also have an embedded sliver which my doctor says there is nothing she can do about it!! So I eventually dug a hole and got the sliver out. However I don't think i got it all out as it is now very inflamed and full of liquid. I need a surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am available for surgery if we are ever in the same area. You might need some wine for anesthesia however.

      Delete