Saturday, November 5, 2022

Only 3 More Days!

I will be so glad when the election is over next week. Only 3 more days! No more political ads, the news should (but probably won't) move on to other topics. Sadly, I know the reality, and there will be sensationalized close races that will not be conceded and will be contested. It does not matter which side wins or loses; it's going to happen. Then there will be the counts that will drag out for days.  Then that will dominate the news cycle. Then if the media does not like who was elected, they will start the bashing of that/those individual(s). Anyone want to take bets on whether or not that will happen?

Speaking of government. I got a jury duty notice. Our jury duty terms here in South Dakota are 90 days. We do not have a lot of jury trials here in our county, but I did get a notice to appear later in the month. I highly doubt that I will get selected due to my quasi-law enforcement background and the fact that Barb worked in a county attorney's office for years, but we shall see. 

And since I am on a roll, let talk about health care relating to Barb's surgery. First of all, she is doing well, and 6 weeks later there is still some tenderness, but she says she is 95% or so. Still has a hard time with weighted objects over her head but she never lets anything slow her down and it will just be a matter of time before she is 100%.

We have a high deductible health care plan through Health Partners with a $5,000 max out of pocket. Meaning that once we pay $5,000, the plan takes care of everything else for the rest of the plan year. Health Partners and the hospital have been awesome with no billing issues or disputes. What we have noticed is how the drug companies are gouging us compared to what they charge the insurance companies. Here's a couple of examples; one prescription that costs us over $300 out of pocket in the past, the insurance company paid less than $100 for. An Epi pen that we have paid $609.52 for in the past, the insurance company only pays $200. I get that the insurance companies are big companies and have huge buying power, but are we not part of that insurance company and should pay the same as them and not these inflated prices?

Okay, on to our week.....

Sunday, we had our niece Alana and her husband Ryan over to watch the Vikings beat the Cardinals. But the real guest of honor that we were looking forward to seeing was Sophie, their little French Bulldog! 

I love the image on the TV in the background!
Zoey and Sophie played and played and played! Sorry Harry, no videos as it was nearly impossible to keep up with them as they zoomed around the house for 4 hours. Just kidding, here is one video for your viewing pleasure. I had to trap Sophie between my feet just so I could slow them down long enough to get a video. 
Sophie was not really sure what to make of the turkeys. I thought maybe she was going to go through the screen after them!

Poor Dakota just sat back and watched. Sophie tried to play with Dakota a few times, but a minor growl sent Sophie on her way. A couple times Zoey and Sophie got a little too rough so Dakota would get up and stand over them kinda saying "Okay kids, that's enough".

It was great seeing Alana, Ryan and Sophie and we appreciate them driving the hour and a half down from Spearfish to see us. 

The weather Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday was in the upper 50's, even lower 60's so I put the workshop on the back burner and spent my time outdoors. I first attacked the stonework on the north side of the house. I really wanted to get that side done! 

Still needs to be grouted, but the north side is done!

I had hoped to get the south side done as well but with only two days left before it turned too cold to do stonework I moved on to another project. One that has been waiting for me for since May of 2019 when Guy and Sue stopped by for a visit and helped me construct the sliding doors for the shed. At that time, I screwed the doors to the shed and put them on the back burner while we worked on the house. 

Guy, back in May of '19
Now, it is time to get the tracks up and make them operational! It was a two-day project, but I am happy to report that we now have functioning sliding doors on our shed!



No headboard pictures yet but Barb is close. She spent a couple of days making the framing for it. This week she went to the lumberyard and got a couple of rough-cut 2x4's, sanded them, cutout a 1"x2" section on the back for the fence boards to lay in and then stained and varnished the framing. All that is left now is to put it together. Next week, I promise! 
My workshop project is moving along. I got 1/2 of the floor joists up and some flooring in the loft area. The loft will serve as storage for all of our outdoor gear as well as seasonal decorations. The loft area will eventually span the whole 30' of the garage, it will certainly be nice to have all this extra storage space!

Next up will be to finish sheathing the sides, run some electrical and insulate the workshop area. 

In between projects I found time to change the fuel filters in the Ram. This was a first for me and it was not too bad. I had both of them changed in about 45 minutes. This picture shows the new one in the middle, the old front filter on the left and the old rear filter on the right. The rear one was really dirty!
And just like that the warm weather was gone and it got cold with a dusting of snow. 
I've been out bowhunting a few times, watching the deer, watching nature and just enjoying the outdoors. I took this picture one morning on my way out to the stand.....


I've seen a few bucks but not the one that will fill the freezer this winter.  This guy was tempting....

Friday night we went over to Kevin and Cheryl's for a visit. I could not help but take these two pictures of Reba on the couch and Peanut (or Leisel, I cannot tell the difference) on the recliner. Who do you think rules the roost in this household?!!

Next week looks like more of the same, highs in the 20's and 30's lows in the teens. Whose idea was it to stick around for the holidays?!?!

37 comments:

  1. Dogs rule!!! It's funny how older dogs (and horses) tell the kids to straighten up. I of course LOVE the barn doors, but it looks WAY too cold to be working outside. It's true about the cost of health care. Just how can the hospital charge you $25 for a $2 box of Kleenex? Don't they have buying power? I'm glad Barb is feeling better. You should probably go light a big fire ... it looks pretty chilly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the buying power of the hospitals, it seems pretty ridiculous! Dakota was pretty funny when she thought the girls were getting too rough, she put an end to it quick!

      Delete
  2. Agree with the start of your blog. In Florida, we will lose the political ads but the injury attorney ads will continue sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a lot of personal injury ads here, at least not that I have noticed. Well, except the mesothelioma and water poisoning at a military camp, but I think those are national ads.

      Delete
  3. We’re so glad to hear Barb is almost back to 100%. Hilarious picture of her working on the table saw! Great job on those barn doors. That buck would have been in my freezer. 😉
    Colibaba’s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rut is just starting here so I am thinking this week and next should be pretty hot and hopefully the big boy will make an appearance!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a very lively visit!
    I like the stone work, lots of curb appeal. I also very much like the colour of the walls, I would like that on my little cabin. I also like the look of the barn doors, again very appealing and they do make life easier.
    Great WORKING photos of Barb. I see her workshop is coming along great, I have no doubt she will encourage you to use it! Happy to hear she recovering a little more each day.
    You sound confident of the ‘big buck’ you will put in the freezer, that’s good! I would wish you luck but since Barb isn’t hunting this year it seems any buck you get will be the biggest! Happy hunting friend!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to get motivated to work on the stone when I have 88' on one side to do. It is just too daunting! Well, that and the fact that it is too cold to do it anyway. The work will still be there in the spring, maybe by then I will have the motivation to hit it hard!

      Delete
  5. Zoey was in 7th Heaven for sure! She thought Sophie was her own personal toy to play with!!!

    Glad Barb is doing so well. As for the higher price drugs, have you tried contacting the drug manufacturer to see if they have a discount price for those who don't have drug insurance? I know both Dad and now Mom were put on Eliquis, at a cost of like $600 per month 'with' insurance! My sister found out that Eliquis had a $10 Co-pay card that could be used for 24 months. Yes, she only pays $10. As of September, Eliquis is now part of the medicare drug plan, so she is good to go for the rest of her time on it (which means 'rest of her life'). Something to look into, especially with that Epi pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never tried contacting the drug manufacturer, we will have to look into that come January when Barb's plan cycles and we are starting from $0.00 again. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  6. I do believe dogs are always in control, at least in this household. I "swear" Winslow is smarter than me :) Brrr with those temps! Just reading them made me shiver and reach for another blanket. We mute the political ads when they come on the TV. I told my husband I would be willing to pay money to have the ads removed if they offered such a service. They even have the ads on between the games my grandson plays on my phone. He, at 6 years old, is tired of them too. He told me ads about Christmas are okay though :) My husband worked in hospital purchasing for the majority of his career. He knows the inflated costs. Outrageous for sure! Interesting how jury duty works there. I got summoned here but I postponed it, as I can, and picked it for a day I don't think they'll be doing jury trials (a Thursday the week before Christmas). I have served on a jury before for a felony murder case. I wish it had gone to deliberation, but the defendant took a plea bargain halfway through the trial.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have YouTube TV as our main source of TV. I did a little research to see if I could opt for a commercial free version on non-live shows but they do not offer it. The only way to fast forward through the commercials is to put them in our 'library' basically recording them. Then we can forward through the commercials.

      Delete
  7. Our temperatures are turning cold this week too. We’ve been out enjoying nature. I feel guilty seeing how busy you’ve been!

    Love those new doors. Great job! You’ll have lots of storage space for sure.

    Take care and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are cold temperatures by you? Does it get below 0F, or does it stay a little warmer due to the ocean temps?

      Delete
  8. We are fortunate here to have (mostly) free health care, but we pay for it in our high taxation rate - swings and roundabouts, as they say.
    I really like your barn and its doors, and that loft storage will be fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the right answer is for healthcare. I am a little familiar with Canada's healthcare system and it seems like there are pros and cons to each system.

      Delete
  9. In my experience I have learned that if you build more storage space, the more likely you are to fill that space with crap. Remember how freeing it was to sell everything and hit the road? That advice is free this time. We are tempted to fill our place with stuff but at least we have one thing in our favor that prevents that, and that is money. As always, the place looks great and you still owe me a case of beer and seven singles due to inflation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps if you got a job you could afford to buy some stuff or, here's a thought, maybe buy your own beer!

      Question for you on the beer, from what I can tell, your bottom shelf beer has not been impacted by inflation. It seems like you are just trying to gouge me into buying you more beer?!?!?

      Delete
    2. A case of 30 used to cost $20. Now it is up to $24. Damn you FJB!

      Delete
  10. It’s Gay…love your barn doors! What a pretty photo of the sunrise and the windmill…fingers crossed that buck comes your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to have operating sliders! I still need to get the hardware on them so they slide properly and stay closed but at least the hard part is done!

      Delete
  11. Oh how I love the windmill picture! Beautiful! Your home and shop are amazing, love watching the process of what you both are doing! Still excited to see the headboard! Glad Barb is on the mend! Love the rolling barn doors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That windmill picture is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was walking down there just before sunrise the other day and just had to stop and take that picture.

      Delete
  13. I don't think there is an election cycle anymore. It seems constant and on-going. And if in a swing state the commercials are even more numerous. I don't blame the media for bashing one side or other as much as I do the pot stirrers, and there seem to be a good number of those. I think growing up we were taught anyone can become...President or Governor or whatever, and that sadly has become true. Anyone, no matter how crazy or dishonest. There's some real lulu's running. Popped in from a mutual friends blog, it's always fun to meet new bloggers, so not up to speed about what happened with your wife, Barb; but hope all goes well and she feels better each and every day. Our out of pocket is 6500.00. Hubby's having surgery tomorrow; sadly we've gone back and forth several times with the insurance people for denying things clearly stated as covered in the policy. Insurance is always hard work it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Thankfully South Dakota was not a swing state so the ads were not too crazy except for last Sunday where it seemed every other commercial was a political ad. Hope all went well with your husband's surgery!

      Delete
  14. i enjoyed the second half of this post much more than the first. i too am sick of politics, the advertising here in new jersey was insane. when i think about all the money spent, and what that money could do to enrich the lives of so many people, i just get sick!!

    i am going to try to get my husband to read this post...he is slacking and you should be commended for all you do!! the barn doors are gorgeous, i love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the money spent is such a waste. As for your husband, what I have found is they like it when you write them lists and then ask them every day what they got accomplished. But wait until he is just starting to relax in his recliner. Timing is everything!

      Delete
  15. oooooh and i am not sure if the ruddy ducks are here in the spring for mating, i will have to take notice this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you see their mating dance it is something you will never forget!

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the update on Barb. Good to hear she is back to 95%. Can't wait to see her headboard creation. Fun times for Zoey to have a little friend to run around crazy with. Glad to see Dakota kept control of the situation. Love seeing the photos of the house. The barn doors look great on the shed. Don't freeze this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is headboard day! She got it glued and screwed yesterday so this morning we are going to get it attached to the wall!

      Delete
  17. Looks like you all had a good week except perhaps Dakota. So happy that Barb is getting stronger day by day. But don't overdo it, you don't want to be back to square one. Contessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dakota had a good week too. She just thinks she has to keep the crazy to a manageable level.

      Delete
  18. Love the pizza shot on the tv. Funny pups. Cool windmill pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I looked at the picture of Barb and Alana, I saw that woman and asked them if they wanted me to take another picture. They thought it was hilarious and told me to leave it!

      Delete