Monday, March 4, 2024

Friends

Friends. Where do you meet friends? How do you meet friends?

How did we become blessed with so many good friends? Since we do not get out to the east coast very often, we planned our route to trying to visit as many of our friends as possible. I did a mental recap on how we met most of the friends we visited on this trip. The answer? Traveling. Over 1/2 of the people we stopped and saw on this adventure were people we met while on the road. We met Mike and Liz in Alaska, Shawn and Kim in Arizona, Dan and Mary in Ontario finally Guy and Sue who we also met in Arizona. Combine that with the 4 other couples we met on the road that we hoped to see but it did not work out and it obvious we have met a lot of good people on our travels. 

What made me think of this? Well, last week I mentioned a package that was waiting for us when we returned home. This package was sent to us by another friend we met on the road. But here's the kicker.... we have yet to meet her! Nancy is a fellow traveler and blogger. We have been following each other's adventures for....I actually don't know; I will just go with years. And over those years we have become friends, I would venture to say, good friends, who have never met. We have so many life experiences in common that we could not help to be friends. She is the definition of a Cowgirl. Born and raised on a ranch with a life immersed in adventure, cattle, horses and farming. 

So, when she emailed asking for our address, saying she wanted to send us something, we were excited and intrigued. She said that it was something she had that no longer fit into her house decor and she immediately thought of us! Unfortunately, we would be leaving within a few days and would not be home to receive it. So, we gave her our neighbors address to mail it to and would have to wait until we got home to see what she had that made her think of us. 

Then it was almost the package that wasn't when it totally disappeared from her house. She realized that when she was getting rid of some antique clothing, the box was accidently taken by the person who picked up the clothing! She was able to get it back and get it shipped off to us. 

When we got home it was waiting on our counter where Neighbor Jim had put it. We were too excited to take a picture of the box, we just tore into it. Was it going to be something cool that we were going to cherish, or something cheesy that was destined for the 2nd hand store? Barb tore into the box like a Tasmanian Devil. Cardboard and packing flying everywhere. 

The first thing she pulled out was this gorgeous quilt! A quilt I had known well as she had posted in her blog while she was making it. I had posted how much I liked this quilt and low and behold, here it is!

Being a non-quilter I do not realize the work that goes into making a quilt. I know it is a labor of love and take hours and hours of work. The number of pieces and detail in this thing is incredible! Just look at this one little corner. Each of those different colors and sections had to be individually cut out and sewn together. And did you notice the stitching? Bear paws!

But wait, there is more! Digging further into the box, Barb pulls out this beautiful fox pelt! This thing is huge. Just look at the size of it compared to the quilt. Nancy has seen pictures of the inside of our house and knew that it would fit in perfectly. We have a corner by the entry dedicated to furs and trapping. It fits in perfectly! It is on the left side of the door above the coyote. 

Nancy even included a letter and story of how each of these items came about. Here is a bit of what she wrote:
Then there is the story the quilt tells......
She obviously knows us very well. All this from a woman we have not even met! We are truly blessed. 

We also celebrated Barb's birthday this week. A milestone birthday, she is officially on Medicare! Have you ever tried to buy a present for the woman who has everything? Well, it's not easy. All winter I was taking note of things she said she wanted or looked at longingly before putting it back on the store rack. Do you think I could remember a single one of them when it came time to buy her a birthday gift? Nope.

Instead, I took her to Rapid and we went shopping. She has the hardest time spending money on herself, so I drug her to her (okay my) favorite store and made her pick something out. Cabela's always has the perfect gifts, right? While she walked around the store, I went and looked at the animal display. Dreaming that I too might one day, harvest one of these beasts. When I found her again, she was looking at hiking socks. She put them back saying "I am not spending that much on socks". After some prodding, she picked out a pair and away we went to the register. 
Then we were off to her next favorite store (okay, mine again) Scheels where she picked out a new Yeti mug for herself. Do I treat my woman right or what?!?!
Next up was Sam's Club where we picked out these Cowboy Cut Ribeyes and a dessert.
For supper on her birthday we got together with Dan and Bonnie, going to Jalapeno Grill in Hot Springs. Mexican food. 😬 But, Barbie loves it so so do I.
The critters were happy to have us home too. We were greeted by turkey, deer and even a huge herd of elk!


'
I know some of you might find it hard to believe, but we have not started any new projects since being home. The only work we have done is getting the house in order, installed a whole house water filtration system and spent one day out in the woods clearing brush. We have three large piles ready to burn next time we get 3" of snow or more. Barb also started a sourdough bread starter. She is on day 5, it is pretty slow going as our house rarely gets above 65 so it is definitely struggling.
Dakota and Zoey had an exhausting week reacquainting themselves with all the smells around the yard. Zoey was exhausted at the end of the day!
By the way, check out Nancy's blog for today (3/4) to see the incredible quilt she finished today!

Since everyone like teasers so much, here is another one for next week where I will reveal our summer plans. Another great North American Road trip! 

66 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful gift…the quilt is gorgeous! Nancy’s a very talented lady. That’s a lot of Elk! Hope you had a wonderful Mexican birthday dinner Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her talent is way above our paygrade, that's for sure!

      Delete
    2. Oh, by the way. You guys, Red and Pam and the Fergs were one of our very first RV friends in December of 2014!

      Delete
    3. I remember…I think you were stalkers! 🤣 So glad we met you though. You both turned out to be great drinking buds…that started the annual beer tasting event. 😉

      Delete
  2. Wow. You never wrote an entire blog about the gift we gave you. It's probably in last years garage sale. Can't wait for the big news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is because we were on antibiotics for weeks after receiving your "gift". We will never forget the fateful day we met the two of you at the boondocking rally in Arcadia Florida in February of 2015. Our lives have never been the same.

      Delete
    2. It's too late now. Get over it!

      Delete
  3. Yes we have met great people travelling too. .... oh wait, we met you guys. :) Great gifts for you, love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Near as I can figure, we met at happy hour on December 30th, 2015. Which just so happened to be my birthday. Since then, we have shared many a happy hour and at least one tater tot meal!

      Delete
  4. Amazing how the elk and turkeys can take over your yard while you're traveling. Happy Barb!, Mexican food is always a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to have become quite comfortable around the house while we were gone. Luckily, the dogs do not chase them so they stick around even after we are back.

      Although we have not met in person, we became blogger friends probably a year or so ago. If you ever make it out South Dakota way let us know!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful quilt and so sweet of her! Ken said Barb is just like me in the respect of buying for ourselves. LOL. Glad you made her get a few things for herself. Happy Birthday Barb! Your property is just gorgeous, it would be hard to leave for vacations! Can't wait to see where you're headed though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. February of 2023. Although we had been blogger friends for a while, we will never forget where we met you in person for the first time. Howling at the moon outside of Yuma!

      Delete
  6. I hope you enjoy your time offroad too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we are. There is a few projects that we want to work on before we hit the road again!

      Delete
  7. One of the biggest surprises that retirement and the resulting rv lifestyle has given us is the community of "friends" we've built! Some we've met and spent time with, some we haven't met yet. Such a wonderful perk of RVing and blogging, who knew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly did not expect that perk when we started RV'ing. Although we have yet to meet in person, we have several friends in common that we have both met over the year.

      Delete
  8. Agreed on the RV friends. They have become some of our closest. Even though most are off the road we still enjoy visiting when possible. Beautiful quilt! Quilters possess so much talent and patience I will never have. I think I know where your summer vacay will be ;-)
    If I’m right I can show you a gorgeous fishing quilt that was gifted to us and is now in the camper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. January 2015, Palmetto State Park. That was the first place we met you and Steve. Then you introduced to oysters. Raw. Gross. Good times though!
      Yes, you do know where our summer vacation will be, perhaps we'll have a beer together?!?!?!

      Delete
    2. I sure hope so!

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday to your dear and practical wife.
    I couldn't believe the video of the elk! It just kept going and going....more and more and more elk. WOW! Amazing!
    Beautiful quilt from your good friend you've never met...yet.
    Enjoy your time at home before you are off and traveling again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 91 elk I believe. That is a huge herd for around here! We are going to try to make the most of our time here, we absolutely love it!

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday, Barb! 🥳🥳🥳 Looks like it was a good one! That quilt is absolutely gorgeous! Your friend did good! Poor little Zoey, all tuckered out! She is recuperating from her travels! Can’t wait to hear where y’all go next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoey is such a dramatic diva, she just acts exhausted so she gets more attention.

      Delete
  11. Awesome post had me smiling too. My husband and I have been together for almost 45 years now-before I met him he was really into mountain man "stuff" We have an old handmade pack filled with furs. Larry was in a group that reinacted and they even handsewed a huge tipi we have that still too.
    Quilting does take allot of work for sure and lots of time that is a lovely piece and love the bear paw quilting. we can relate about hunting too. when we moved to the lake and out of the woods we don't hunt anymore-Larry only hunted with his blackpowder rifle-when we held deer camp back then he stressed one shot and down-shoot straight-smiles.
    Happy Birthday Barb
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be able to sit in a tree for 5 hours and do nothing, but I would never have the patience or skill to do a quilt.
      If Larry is still laid up, share this post with him. It is the story of my latest muzzleloader hunt. https://jimandbarbsrvadventure.blogspot.com/2021/12/the-ole-smoke-pole.html
      Sounds like we have a lot in common!

      Delete
  12. i stopped by nancy's blog and left her a comment, now i can't remember what i read here. hehehehe happy birthday to your beautiful wife, next year keep a pad and pen in your pocket, take notes as she oodles over things. i like your front door, it's a pretty one!! i just went back to glance again and i remembered reading that barb has a sourdough bread starter going. that is a commitment and she will have to remember to feed it!!!! you are blessed with a lot of friends...it got me thinking, most we have had since school, others from work. i have a lot of new friends since i learned to knit. it's been 10 years and they are awesome friends!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to keep a pad of paper handy. I think I will remember, but when it comes down to it, I always forget!
      I have a total of 1 friend from high school, the rest I met after, with many from our RV life.
      Barb has been feeding her jar, we just need to wait and see what happens.

      Delete
  13. I liked that quilt too when Nancy showed it after finishing it and think you are the perfect recipients for it. Also the fox found a fitting resting place next to your door. Happy belated birthday to Barb! Being surrounded with so much wildlife as you are, I would hang out by the window all day to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That quilt is gorgeous and will treasure it! The elk have seemed to have moved on, but we still see the deer and turkeys on a daily basis and today, we had a coyote walk right up to the house today. We are not comfortable with that at all!

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday to the birthday girl, a mile stone age!
    What a wonderful gift your friend sent, it's just a beautiful quilt, talented lady and I do like the new ones she's finished.
    A lady from Alberta in Canada used to send me a Christmas Cake every year for years but it got too far expensive, such a delicious fruit cake. We met online through our business many years ago..now my dear friend like your friends I've never met has Alzheimers now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad to see people age and get Alzheimer's or dementia. Don't tell Nancy, but we are going to send her a little something in return!

      Delete
  15. You sound happy to be home, even though road trips are always wonderful. And I had to smile at your showing your favorite store and saying it was your wife's favorite store. I recognize that decor and center animal collection. I wonder why Bass Pro doesn't do the same thing since they are now owned by the same people? Have a great first week of March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We grew up with Cabela's, Scheel's and Gander Mountain. We do not have any Bass Pro's anywhere near us. I will check and see where the nearest one is.....Looks like Council Bluff's Iowa. Over a day's drive from here.

      Delete
  16. I’m glad you didn’t have any new projects when you arrived home but you two always manage to find something to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we do have a couple of projects in mind. For one of them we need the weather to be above 40 for about a week. The other one, we just are not ready to tackle yet.

      Delete
  17. Happy Birthday to Barb! I just realized I hadn't been following your blog, so now I am (and thank you for your visits to mine.) I think the older you get, the harder it is to meet new people, unless you meet them through people you already know. I'm glad two of our closest couple friends are still local; so many have moved. But I have developed wonderful "real" friendships through blogging -- we exchange gifts, visit if we are near. I love that world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! We only have a few good friends locally as well. It is also fun to have remote friends that we can meet up with on our travels who can show us around their home towns!

      Delete
  18. Mike and I say that frequently--"we have met the best people traveling around this country!" Can't believe you haven't started another project. Love the quilt--what a thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we have a project planned. Very similar to the one Mike did this winter. We will probably start the groundwork next week sometime.

      Delete
  19. Happy Birthday Barb!!!! I laughed out loud about the socks! I said the exact same thing!! And I laughed again over that Zoey picture!! That's what friends are for, even if we haven't met in person. Can't wait to hear about your next expedition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much again for the quilt and fox pelt, they will forever be cherished. Thank you also for allowing me to tell this story, you are a very special person.

      Delete
  20. I learned of Nancy's Blog when listed on your favorite Blog list. Of course that means I was reading your first. Thoroughly enjoy Nancy's daily blogs. Welcome Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy has a very entertaining blog. I do not know how she can do one daily, doing it weekly is a lot of work! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  21. Friends are not something I have, can't think of a single person I know who is a friend I will check out Nancy's blog when I leave here. Birthday's are special I hope Barb had a good one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy Nancy's blog, she has a great sense of humor.

      Delete
  22. Happy Belated Birthday, Barb! I think there's a key element you left out of your friend review - an outgoing personality. As an introvert, I like it best when we're out and I don't have to interact with anyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certainly does play into the equation. Barb is probably a little on the quieter side than I am.

      Delete
  23. That is one beautiful quilt! Happy Birthday to Barb:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, I'd comment but I'm sure you're tired out from reading all the comments so far, lol. If you make it this far, wow on the wildlife, kudos on the Barb birthday entertainments, and good job having a "happy we're home" period. Looking forward to your next post. Loved Nancy's gifts too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never get tired of reading comments! It's been cold this week, so it easy to lay low for a few days.

      Delete
  25. So, you're finally home in S. Dakota! Wow! I love the quilt, but not so much the fur. Don't really like hunting for sport. Best wishes for accomplishing all those things around the house that need your attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to be home for a while. I knew not everyone would like the pelt, but that's okay. The different perspectives is what makes this country great. Allowing people to be who they are and being okay with that.

      Delete
  26. And Happy Birthday, Barb! Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy birthday to Barb.
    I have several Blog friends I've met, more I shall never meet. I just cannot be comfortable in groups these days with social anxiety.
    A teaching partner used to RV all summer. She made such friends.
    You two have a great life. My jaw drops as I read about what you are up to. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The RV lifestyle is great for all varieties of people. Those that like crowds and those that prefer to be alone. We are more comfortable with smaller groups as well. 4-6 people total tops.

      Delete
  28. Happy birthday Barb!
    Yes, you are blessed with friends, and isn't it wonderful? I hope one day our paths will cross too..
    The quilt and fox pelt are very special gifts indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently we were close last time we went to visit our daughter. We'd love to see your area, it looks beautiful!

      Delete
  29. First of all, Happy Birthday Barb! It was fun to see what she picked out and sounds like her birthday celebration was perfect. Sounds like you’ve been busy since you got home. Looking at the sourdough starter. My sister-in-law takes pictures like that and sends it to all the family, which includes the finished product. I am envious for that finished product. Such a cute sleeping pose that Zoey has there. Friends are a true blessing. How sweet is that for Nancy to send you these gifts. She sounds quite a lady and I will definitely check her blog out. Enjoy your day and the weekend coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure we are ever going to be able to see the finished product. It seems like all she does is feed that dang thing!

      Delete
  30. I think I counted 80 elk in that video! Wow!! While traveling Oregon a number of years ago I saw that Nancy was along the coast at a particular park. Without telling her we pulled into a site near her, and on a walk with Bubba and Scruffy I knocked on her door. We all spent such a short time together, she came over to meet and visit with Marcia...almost like meeting family that we had never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just might have to stalk and sneak up on her as well! We do not have any immediate plans to head west though and I do not know if she ever comes east.

      Delete
  31. Wonderful that you've met so many great friends while traveling. Loved seeing the herd of elk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That herd seems to come through twice a year, in the fall and again in the spring.

      Delete