Saturday, April 27, 2024

Donuts!

The name of the game this week was planting, planting and more planting. Chris was out in the field every day this week except Friday and Saturday which ended up being rain days. They have 2,180 acres in the ground so far. 42% done! That is amazing considering we did not get in the fields until May 1st last year. This year we were a full 10 days earlier. 

Farmer Bob got in on the action as well, planting a little over 300 acres in a field that the big seeder cannot make it into. 

A typical day starts at 6-6:30 with breakfast and a Mountain Dew. I know, I know, but I have never been a coffee drinker, so I get my caffeine from a can. The main course for breakfast consisted of donuts! Nothing like shocking the system awake with that combination!

Actually, only two days started with donuts as Farmer was nice enough to buy a dozen for us boys. 

Once breakfast is done and my body thoroughly shocked awake it is time to work. Usually getting things ready for Chris to hit the field. Fueling the tractors, loading semis with seed and fertilizer out of a bin which are then loaded into the seeder.  We'll load him 2-3 times in the field throughout the day and then drop off another truck around 10pm which he fills by himself sometime in the middle of the night while we are all sleeping. Chris is a beast seeding for 20 hours most days, he did 33 hours straight with only an hour of sleep just before it started to rain. When the weather cooperates, you need to get the seed in the ground!

Loading Chris
Loading Bob

Prior to season, they develop a crop plan for the year detailing what is going into each of their fields. And when making a crop plan, you cannot just throw whatever into any field. The crop in each field is determined by what was in that field the year before as each crop takes and leaves certain nutrients and bacteria in the soil so the next crop must compliment the previous one. For example, you never put peas in one year and again the next year as they will almost certainly be prone to a disease. In fact, some people will wait 4 years before putting peas back into a field again. 

Each of their fields are outlined in yellow on this map. To give you an idea of size, each of one the squares on the map is a section, which is a square mile, 640 acres. As you can see, their property is not all continuous. Rather it is scattered 14 miles east to west and 9 miles north to south. And not all land is considered equal. A section with a lot of potholes or sloughs is worth a lot less to a farmer than property that consists of all tillable acres. 

So far, we have planted just peas and wheat, as those are the two hardiest varieties when it comes to the cooler, unpredictable spring weather. When it comes to wheat, two other things go into the ground beside the seed; urea and S10 fertilizer. The urea we use is a granular, which provide nitrogen to the plant through the soil and the S10 (or starter) is a phosphate fertilizer that provides sulfur to the plant throughout the growing season. 

S10 in the foreground, urea in the back hopper

Peas get just inoculant. Inoculant is actually a living microorganism which creates an infection in the plant creating nodes on the root that in turn ingests nitrogen from the air and provide it to the plant.  The science that goes into planting is incredible. 

Before each field is planted, they calculate how much seed they will need. There are several ways to do this such as pounds per acre. But you have to take into consideration the size, weight and seed count. There are other variables as well such as if it is drier or wetter than the previous year, as the slough sizes vary. Some years you can seed right through some wet spots, other years you have to go around them. Most of the time they hit is just right. Other times we need to run more seed out to finish the field. Bob was close on his calculations, but did call and say, "Bring me 3 buckets of seed". Here I am loading one of those buckets into his seeder. 

While they were seeding, Ty, Dylan and I spent two days moving peas from one bin to another. We had 8 truckloads of peas to move at about one hour per truck. Why move peas from one bin to another? We needed to get them from a standalone bin to a bin that is attached to the automated treating facility. 

The truck/tractor in the background is loading seed into bin#2
while the truck in the foreground is a customer picking up seed
Same scene, different angle

Chris's dad, Bob, arrived this week, needing hard work and a distraction from losing his brother Russ last week. He rolled for several days this week, spending hours upon hours in the tractor no doubt thinking about his brother and reflecting on life. 

If you recall from previous year's posts, you need to roll the peas to push any rocks in the field down, so they do not get caught up in the combine come harvest season. Most other crops do not need to be rolled as they are not cut as close to the ground. 

The big job of the week was Tuesday when we poured that concrete slab. 12 trucks, 120 yards of concrete. It actually was not that bad. We had 10 guys, and everyone had a job. Mine was edging and running the power screeder which was a new one for me.  Here is a short video of some of the action.

We also had a pump truck which made life a lot easier, dumping it through the shoot. Well worth the extra $2,000 in expense. The concrete trucks pulls up to the back of the pump truck and dumps into a hopper. The pump truck operator them moves the boom around as needed.
The guy at the end of the hose really gets a workout and this guy did it the entire time. Oh, to be young again. The pump truck set up right in the middle and was able to reach both ends without moving. 
Once it was starting to set up, we had three guys on the bull floats and two guys on edging while 5 other guys continued pouring. We started at 8am and by 1pm, we were done and having a lunch that Holly prepared and brought up to us in the back of a truck. 

For those of you who know a little bit about concrete, the days of $100/yard concrete are long behind us. It is now double that!
So glad to have that job done! In a couple of months, they will have another row of 10 bins identical to the ones next to them with an automated system that brings the seed into the treater building. 

Now for the animals. Some of you may remember Nellie from last year. She is the one that got hit by a truck and had to have major surgery. This is what she looked like last September. 


Seven months later, she looks like this.....

Living her best life, running and swimming in the sloughs. What a muddy mess!

Speaking of lab lives, this is what Remy was up to this week.....

Someone was a bad dog!

Then there is Me-aui. Named by the kids as she meows all the time and the fact that they went to Maui this year, so she got a combo name. She is usually sitting on my chair outside the camper or actually my camper steps. Then she meows and meows and meows. One night I had to put her outside as she was sooooo annoying. 

On the photography front. I got some more waterfowl shots. The teal moved in this week. It was funny, one day there were none, the next dozens of little teal dotting the ponds. The other birds featured this week is the scaup, canvasback, teal, coot and fluffy little bufflehead. As you can see, it was windier than heck that day. So much so that you had to hang on to the rail on the seeders when you filled it for fear of getting blown off by a gust. 


Scaup and bufflehead
This shot almost went into the recycle bin, as the photo of the flying canvasback (center top) just did not turn out like I had hoped. But it was the background that made me include it. The background really tells a story in itself. Look at all that equipment back there discarded over.... I would say 70-80 years? Their original owners long passed on these relics are just a reminder of yesteryear. Those old cars have to be from the 50's, the thresher directly in from of the canvasback is probably from the 1930's.
The blue and yellow augers are more recent from just a decade or so ago. 50 years from now they will still be sitting there after we are all gone leaving someone else to wonder of their history.  


Drake Can and a female Scaup

Pair of Ruddy Ducks

Coot and Blue-winged teal

It rained pretty much all day yesterday (Friday) which means we will not get back into the field until at least Monday when things dry up.  So, Bob S and I set out to build a couple of new deer blinds for deer season. They will be hunting in comfort this fall!
Back home, Barb is still not 100%, but she is close. She had all these projects planned for while I was gone but the past two weeks just has not had the energy to tackle them. 

Last, but not least, there is little Chase, the middle child. He loves to ride with his dad in the seeder. Here is a picture of them inside one of the wheels while we were loading. 

78 comments:

  1. These "farming" blogs are always so interesting! I read parts of them to Michael--he enjoys also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you find them interesting; I know some people do not find them interesting at all. Michael seems like the kind of person who would like the ins and outs of farming.

      Delete
  2. Always learn so much each season about farming. That’s great Nellie has recovered. You certainly know your waterfowl. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nellie has made a great recovery. She is not 100% but she is having fun and enjoying life!

      Delete
  3. You had me at donuts! So glad Nellie is doing well. Remy ... that was my cutting horses name. I think he did a GREAT job and Me-aui is certainly giving you THE LOOK for saying she's too noisy!! There's a lot more that goes into farming than anyone can imagine, and rotating crops is a biggie, not to mention finding workable ground for each crop. It all sounds like fun to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way more. Everyone should have to work on a farm for a season; both planting and harvesting just to get an appreciation for it. Throw in a cattle operation for good measure.

      Delete
  4. You are a busy boy. That is a huge farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So busy. Although today was another rain day. We kept busy, but at a really more relaxed pace.

      Delete
  5. Although I get lost in the details (I always do whatever the subject) it was awesome for an urbanite to read and learn of this. What an operational scale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would be amazed at what it takes to raise and bring crops from the farm to the grocery store.

      Delete
  6. The life on a busy farm, never dull.
    I loved the old equipment pic, every farm has a boneyard. Or maybe just scattered pieces, not all collected in one place. The duck was interesting too but I missed him until you mentioned it. lol.
    The deer blinds look big enough to add a small kitchen, a bunk and maybe indoor plumbing. Hunting in style for certain.
    The animal shots were cute.
    I also enjoyed the dad/son in the wheel. Excellent resting area.
    The map of acreage was interesting. I wonder if some of the land is leased or rented? Hopefully Barb gets better quickly, exhaustion is always hard to bounce back from.
    I have to tell you Jim, Mountain Dew and donuts made my hands shake just reading those words together, I think I was close to a sugar coma. Even my teeth hurt just reading those sugary words. I was afraid to check my blood sugar. lol. Keep farming friend, you do it well.
    I notice there have been no reports, or I missed them, of…..repairs, I wonder what that means! lol.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knock on wood, I have not had a mishap yet. We did have to replace a couple bearings last week that went out, but that is a fairly regular occurrence. Funny you should mention that about the blind. We joked about putting a recliner in there and a flat screen. That blind should last for generations!

      They have a mix of owned and leased land. I have not sat down to figure out the breakdown but I would say it is close to 50/50.

      Delete
  7. Wow! Those fields are kind of scattered all over. Coming from a small-farm background (grandparents and other relatives in that generation) this is quite amazing and fascinating to me.
    So glad Nellie is doing so well she was happily covered in mud! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go back in time to the previous two generations for just a day or two to get a taste of life and farming was like back then. Just a taste, not an entire lifetime.

      Delete
  8. I hadn't realised just how big that farm is! Makes the farm that I grew up on in Sussex (England) - 2 x 100 acre plots - look very small indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are hundreds of smaller farms like yours out east. A couple hundred acres is pretty typical out east. But west of the Mississippi, the farms are generally much bigger, into the thousands and even tens of thousands of acres.

      Delete
  9. I'd never make it as a farmer! Good grief too much science!
    That's for the education as how 'peas are made'!!! and thee equipment that is needed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One does not realize how important math and science are in the farming industry. Had I known, I would have paid more attention to the teachers in school!

      Delete
  10. Me-aui reminds me of my old Gypsy -- they're beautiful, those orange cats and my heart melts whenever I see one. I've been too nervous to plant yet -- but then I put in some seeds and starters -- you guys are the real deal! That's massive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do it! I have faith that you could plant a few seeds and get them to grow and develop!

      Delete
  11. You've had a busy week, but I must admit you caught my attention with title. Donuts- I hate to say it but they are sooooo yummy. I enjoyed seeing and reading about planting. My yard work is SMALL compared to that, but I love working the land so it is very interesting. And I'm glad the dogs are all good and me-aui reminds me of my cat Leo. There's nothing better than a good orange cat!!! Even if they can drive you crazy. Don't work too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the second person who has an affection for orange cats. I have to admit Me-aui is growing on me.

      Delete
  12. I was fascinated at the thought of 2000 acres of donuts being planted! Seemed pretty wonderful to me :-) Also fascinating is all the math and science that goes into producing these massive crops. Hope the rain didn't mess up all that new concrete! Love seeing all the critters who share this life with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concrete had settled for a good three days prior to the rain so it is good to go. I too love the thought of planting 2,000 acres of donut, but too much of a good thing is not good. If we had that many donuts, I probably would not want to see another one!

      Delete
  13. You had me with donuts, then you lost me but all the awesome photos brought me back but I still want donuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny right there. Donuts are the key to everything!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the fascinating details of all that's involved at a large farm. Both my Mom and Dad came from farming families in the 1940's but much smaller in scale.

    Now I'm tired from all that virtual work I just read about and I gotta go find something sweet to eat.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think back to your parents era and the equipment they had to work the land. Although today's farms are much bigger, I am willing to bet that your parents works so much harder to get the seed in the ground and harvest it in the fall.

      Delete
  15. Precious memories for Chase being with his dad...as one gets older, we look at things so much differently as they were back then...like sitting at the piano with my mom when I was 4 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not help but think the same thing as I saw the two of them just chilling out in the tire as he filled. Great memories for both him and Chris.

      Delete
  16. Such a big operation and such hard work. That's for giving us a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know these farming posts are not for everyone, but if I can show one person how hard it is and what it takes to provide food for our tables, it is worth it.

      Delete
  17. Things have certainly changed, from when I hung around my Grandfather's farm.
    Hope Barb is feeling better soon.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is the first day that Barb felt 100% in a while. Hopefully she is recovered and can go on with life!

      Delete
  18. Busy times! Farmers are a special blend! Sure hope Barb us on the mend soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they are. I have not met a successful one that is not one of the hardest working people I've met.

      Delete
  19. My Grandpa was a farmer and I love being on the farm during the summer-but he had no modern equipment like this-still a lot of hard work. enjoyed seeing all the ducks
    we have rain and more storms moving in tonight
    Have a good week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not imagine farming with the equipment your grandfather had. They were probably the hardest working generation in quite a while.

      Delete
  20. The scale of all this just boggles my mind! I really had no idea how it was all done. Must get my hubby to read your blog, i know he would be fascinated. Thank you, Jim, for taking the time to write in such detail. I do hope Barb continues to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he enjoys them, have him read my May and September posts from the past few years. They are filled with farm tales!

      Delete
  21. Hope Barb is soon feeling better,, not being well is not fun for sure.
    You seem to be enjoying your work there on that farm.
    I'm familiar with farms as my late in-laws had one and we lived there for the first 8 years of our married life before moving to the city.
    So I'm familiar with rotating crops and so on.
    That is a nice decent sized property as well.
    Take care.
    The cement is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet living on their farm changed your perspective on agriculture and those who work it. What really struck me from your comment was living with your in-laws for 8 years, I am not sure I could have done that!

      Delete
  22. Hey, dear Jim, I took the time to read all of your posts about working on the farm.
    It's fascinating and I think most people don't realize the work that goes into making a bag of flour.
    We now live next to a small field and I'm always happy to see the work of the farmers... how they react precisely to the weather... last year we had rapeseed in the field... now it's a winter grain - maybe barley or rye, I'll only be able to recognize it by the stalks :-))) The field looks magnificent in its delicate green. I enjoy it every morning with a cup of coffee in my hand.
    Thank you for your report and thanks for your work.
    I buy rye grains from the farmer - 25 kg bag - grind it myself and bake bread AND I also buy oat flakes in the 25 kg bag and put it in the oat squeezer, which is gelled by hand... for my breakfast.
    Many happy greetings to you.
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are not much prettier sights than the stalks of wheat or rye blowing in the wind. I think that is so cool that you mill your own rye. I am willing to bet that that is some of the best bread!

      Delete
  23. Agricultural chemistry must be a thing, a side of agriculture I hadn’t considered. Love the bird photos.

    Your time there is non-stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also a ton of math; calculating application rates for seed and treatment are just a couple.

      Delete
  24. It took me a day to read this because I kept dozing off. Not your fault, I was really tired from working my construction job and food trailer business. I really enjoyed the picture of the donuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may think you are anonymous, but I have a mental picture of you sitting in your recliner, soup stains on your once white wifebeater t-shirt with Busch Light cans scattered all over the floor.

      Delete
  25. The science of farming is amazing! As is all the hard work that goes into it. Growing up in rural Indiana and on the land of a former farm (my parents rented out our land to a farmer; my dad grew up farming the land that his parents owned on their farm), I knew plenty of farmers but not much of the details. My caffeine of choice is pop as well. So unhealthy but needs must to wake up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Indiana has some great farming country. I feel as though I remember lots and lots of corn fields as I traveled through the state. Interestingly, there are very few corn fields in this region. The growing season is just not conducive to raising it.

      Delete
  26. This is sooooo interesting. I sure admire all of our farmers in this Country. We are farmers as well....just growing different things from you guys. It takes it all to make this Country good. We grow Pecans, peaches, apples, grapes, and all kinds of trees. Hope you all have a great and very successful crop....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally different farming, but I bet some of your principles are the same. I have a friend who is raising fruit trees and know for a fact that it is a lot of work as well!

      Delete
  27. You all had a busy week! Fun to see the farm animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still a couple of animals that I did not include, I will try to get pictures of them for future posts.

      Delete
  28. Oh wow that is incredible and a lot of hard work of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing that you have seen a lot of different farming practices on your travels. I would love to see what they do to raise crops in different parts of the world.

      Delete
  29. Wow! This blog was great with all the info on the farm. Loved the pic of how the farm is laid out! The pic of Chase and his dad is adorable! Those donuts looked amazing, much better than the cinnamon roll we found for our sweet tooth one morning. Nice to hear Barb is doing better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I want to look at another donut for a while. While I love them, I think I O.D.'d on sweets this week. But now, a plain old cake donut, I could still go for that!

      Delete
  30. My guess is 1940’s on those cars, due to the split windshield. You should bring one back to South Dakota and fix it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although they are just sitting in fields, a lot of cars refuse to part with their cars.
      I did not know that about the split windshield. But then again you are so old that you probably drove one of those off the sales lot! 😂

      Delete
  31. What an amazing time! I always love reading your blogs, so much in them to digest. I'm going to come back and read again. Amazing photo of Chase with his dad in that huge wheel. Puts those gigantic machines into perspective. Good to see Nellie is recovering, she's come a long way and hopefully soon she will be 100 percent. Those are going to be pretty swanky blinds. The ones out on the water near my sister-in-law's house could do with your help! :) Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love that picture of Chris and Chase. Nellie just needs to keep working those muscles and joints, I don't know if she will ever be 100% but she is loving life!
      They hunt out of these blinds when it is double digits below 0, so they have to be windproof, insulated and even have a heater!

      Delete
  32. Love reading about your farming activities, especially now I no longer have ready access to agriculture around here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've got me wondering what kind of farming they have in New Zealand and how their practices differ from ours.....

      Delete
  33. That’s a lot of work! I’m glad that Nellie healed well.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello,
    I am happy for Nellie and Remy, they are cute furbabies.
    That sounds like way too much work for me, I am happily retired.
    Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was happily retired until on fateful day that seems like decades ago when I asked "Do you ever need any help up here"?

      Delete
  35. Your donuts look Yummy. My favorite is glazed, and I also like the pink frosted ones. ; ) These are pretty duck photos. My father-in-law used to carve ducks out of wood and then paint them after.

    Have a wonderful week.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in awe of wood carvers, that is a skill I wish I had. But I seem to lack the time, patience and skill to even give it a try.

      Delete
  36. OK, about the donuts, I cannot believe you do that to yourself :-). Those activities at the farm are still very fascinating to me and educational. About Chris doing all those hours on the field is a bit like cruising on a boat where we would run for days under autopilot and sit watching, sometimes making adjustments to the course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the comparison between the tractor and the boat. Both are pretty much automated, and you can take your hands off the wheel. The biggest difference is that the tractor has to be turned around every 1/2 mile or so and Chris has to go around sloughs and other wet spots. Much like reefs or shoals in the ocean I suppose.

      Delete
  37. What a great post Jim…farming is hard work. I love reading about the planning and work involved and appreciate the long days in the field. The concrete looks great. I’m glad Barb is feeling better. And the kids did a great job naming Me-aui...it’s a cute name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of concrete, we may have another pour today. We have to see if we can get the forms in and if the weather cooperates.

      Delete
  38. i am not going to criticize your breakfast of champions. you seem to be doing pretty well and i have always longed for a replacement for coffee...and i have been know to start the day with a donut myself!! the last time we poured concrete, the contractor used a machine to finish it, i was amazed at how well it came out!! my knitting teachers sons name is chase, i have never heard it before now. that a great picture of the two of them!! you may not see the birds i do but you have some really amazing ducks. most of those are winter ducks for me, the ruddy ducks i see year round!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever watched the breeding habits of the Ruddy? One of the most comical things you will ever see. Those male Ruddys sure think they are something special!

      Delete
  39. Oh nooooo Remy! Bad dog, hahahaha! At least he stayed busy. Donuts and Mountain Dew ... WAIT WHAT???? You do NOT drink coffee????? Neither does my TG. I will never never never understand that, hahaha! The teals and ducks and coots are beautiful and precious. WOW all that metal in the equipment/automobile graveyard! Once they were brand-new, prized and adored possessions! That's a fascinating operation they have there. I'm glad that Bob got back in the action and was able to spend the hours rolling the fields, remembering Russ. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about that old equipment like that all the time. The 440 they have was once the best tractor on the farm. Now it is looks at an old relic. I don't mind using it at all, it is still that same tractor it once was, it's just that now there are better, fancier ones.

      Delete