Time. Time is something there is not enough of sometimes. Especially when it comes to getting the crops off as soon as possible. Why are we in such a hurry? Consider the fact that your entire livelihood, your entire success or failure of the year lies in the crop that you have been waiting for all year to mature. You too would want to get it off the field and away from the unpredictability of Mother Nature as soon as possible.
One thing I have to adjust to every time I come up is adjusting to Farm Time. What is Farm Time you ask? Well it certainly is not the same as regular time. Not even close. When Chris says, "We are going out in an hour", a lot of things kick into action. An hour is not an hour, it is more like 45 minutes, sometimes 30. I need to get to my camper, eat lunch no matter what time it really is, pack water, snacks and anything else I might need for the day. Phone, headset, charger, take an ibuprofen.....
Lord help us if he says, "We are leaving in 15 minutes", you are basically already late as that means he is walking towards his combine and getting in.
Once you are in the combine, tractor or truck, usually around 11am, you need to be prepared to be in there the next 9-10 hours. That is a basic shift using Farm Time. Almost three weeks into it, I am used to it, my first week, I had not quite adapted.
We finished the last of the wheat fields on Thursday evening. This crop may be the saving grace this year as overall yields were pretty good! There are actually a couple of wheat fields left, but those are the hailed out ones and are frankly a lower priority right now as we focus on getting the viable crops off the feilds and into the bins or to the elevator.
We have since moved on to Canola. The first field we went to is called Millie's as it once belonged to Aunt Millie. A 160-acre piece with about 152 tillable acres. When you are a farmer, it is not about how many acres you own or lease, it is about how many tillable acres you have. Slough and woodlots are not all that valuable to farmers.
They did something quite interesting on these acres this spring, creating 9 test plots using 9 different varieties of canola. One might think that canola is canola, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Different varieties have different yields and grow differently. It is quite a tedious process setting up test plots as you have to take the time to flush and switch the varieties every couple of passes. You then have to flag each of the plots to you know which is which at the end of the year. Some we could tell visually, others we could not.
I will not get into the nitty gritty of the results, if you want that you can push here, but I will say that the top variety (Invigor 330) yielded about 600 more pounds per acre of canola than the poorest performer (Pioneer 612). At the current price of $0.25/pound of canola, that is almost $23,000 over the 152 acres. So many other factors go into these results; rain, some varieties are more drought tolerant than others. Soil type, nutrients.... the results achieved on one field might be totally different on another field a few miles away. Interesting, nonetheless.
I trucked most of the week once again, with Chris, Farmer Bob and Dylan doing the combining. Bob S carted and Ty assisted with the trucking. Bob S went home on Friday which put me back in the cart for the last three days of my stay. Ty took this video of me dumping canola at sunset one evening.
I did take one spill this week while I was cleaning the hopper of the truck. I was trying to reach some wheat that was lodged near the top, so I climbed the slope of the hopper to get it. On my way back down, I lost my footing and down I went, right through the trap. It was one of those falls that is so jarring you take the next few seconds to mentally assess what happened and what hurts. My ego hurt most of all, but also my wrist, arm and shoulder. The wrist swelled up for a day or two but seems to be mostly back to normal now, just tender.
When we were harvesting the wheat around the "Home property" we had a family picnic/supper. Holly, Sydnie and Stephanie set up tables and chairs where we had supper out in the field so to speak. Chris brought out the drone and took a group pictures as well as individual family pictures. Being the only nonfamily member, I opted out as it would just be a picture of lonely old me standing in front of the combine.
Holly also put together this video put to music which is pretty cool.
The bonus of harvesting this piece is that you do not have to truck most of it. I just parked the truck over the auger and Bob just dumps into the semi and the wheat just passes straight through into the auger and up into the bin.









Another harvest season is in your past.
ReplyDeleteAnd I did not even break anything!
DeleteI'm glad you made it through another season and I am sure that Farmer Bob's insurance rates will go down now that you are home.
ReplyDeleteWith all the crop and structure damage from the windstorms I am sure they did not need any more claims!
DeleteI'm sure the brownies fueled you up for the drive.
ReplyDeleteNot only did I have some that night on my way home, I also had some for breakfast in the morning!
DeleteAlways a good feeling getting the crops in brownies look yummy
ReplyDeleteThe brownies were a nice surprise for the ride home for sure!
DeleteGosh you could have hurt your shoulder for life, you were lucky with that fall.
ReplyDeleteGood photos and videos which I enjoyed looking at.. Nice to be home I'm sure.
It is good to be home with Barbie and the girls!
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI am glad you were ok after your fall. The brownies look yummy.
I know the dogs are happy you are home now.
Take care, enjoy your day!
Both the dogs and I are happy that I am home!
DeleteThanks for taking us along on your farm journey. Big time farming is something that I know nothing about.
ReplyDeleteMost of the country knows little or nothing about the ins and outs farm life. There is a lot more to it than one would think.
DeleteMost people don't have any idea about how much work farming is, not to mention how you can lose it all in one rain storm. Glad harvest went well. Yes, test plots are a pain, but the rice we grew gave us ten bags per acre ... twice as much as anyone in the State. Luckily it paid off for us. Give that little PUP a scratch for me and rest up!
ReplyDeleteThose test plots can give you some valuable information about the various varieties.
DeleteProbably I'm one of your few readers who comes away from this post feeling so nostalgic!. I remember farm time. Not only did we have to prepare ourselves before it was time to go but we had to prepare our machines. Many times I barely had time to wipe the grease from my hands before I was in the cab and getting in the convoy heading out to the field.
ReplyDeleteI've often wondered how other farmers refer to their fields. On our farm, a conglomeration of many small farms purchased over the years, we refer to the name of the former owner and then a description of which field if there is more than one. In that way we sort of pay homage to the previous tenant of the land.
I love that video of the harvest. It really captures the essence that farming is a family affair with the kids running around.
Thanks for this post!
I know you can appreciate farm life and farm time. They too name their fields after their former owners,. sometimes along with the words "east, west" and the like.
DeleteIn 1975 I spent Thanksgiving on the farm of one of my college friends along with around a dozen other college kids...and the 8 children who were raised on the farm. The goal was to tear down an old barn, and help with the chores. Our day started at 5 am because the cows needed milking...ended around 9 pm when we finished the nighttime milking and bedding down the beasts for the night. Only day we got a break was on Sunday to attend church after the morning milking duties and chores were finished. Long hard days, wouldn't trade them in for anything...
ReplyDeleteEven with 8 kids I bet they appreciated the help. Tearing down that barn had to be a lot of work! Do you still keep in touch with that buddy? Does the family still have the farm?
DeleteI have not kept in touch with anyone from those days... One of the sons took over the farm in Lancaster, not sure he still has all of it, but lives and farms in the same general area. Last name is Bendorf, youngest son Randy is the one still in Lancaster and it looks like he is still a farmer.
DeleteFamily farms are becoming a thing of the past, it is good to read that he is still involved in farming.
DeleteI'm glad you're alright. That could have been a lot worse.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing all the pictures. Sure looks like a lot of work.
The wrist is still healing. Sometimes it does not hurt at all, others it hurts like a #$%^!
DeleteI love your definitions of farm time! And that picnic is just a wonderful idea. Such a lot of work, farming. A good meal is mandatory. And three cheers on the good harvest.
ReplyDeleteI will take three cheers for a harvest where I did not break anything!
DeleteFarm Time really does sound like its own clock! Glad the wheat turned out well and that your wrist is healing. Loved the family picnic part--such a nice reminder that farming is about people as much as crops.
ReplyDeleteThe family picnic is a tradition that I hope they keep up for many years!
DeleteI look forward to your posts from the farm. It is a different world out there, and makes me appreciate farmers all the more. Glad you made it home safely!
ReplyDeleteI too learn something every time I go up there. There is certainly a lot more to farming than planting and harvesting that's for sure!
DeleteThanks, Jim, for another series of posts showing the farm life of which I did not know very much. Glad you ere not seriously hurt in that fall. I'm sure the family would not have objected if you had joined in the photo as it seems you are an "adopted" member by now. Brownies for breakfast, ow what's wrong with that? Bet that Barb was also glad you are back home and hope she is feeling better too.
ReplyDeleteI did sneak in for one large group photo. Both Barb and I ae happy that we are home together, we don't have anything planned for about a month so we have some time to relax and get a few things done.
DeleteFarm time sounds intense but it's because all you and your fellow farmers hard work that puts food on our table and for that we are thankful.
ReplyDeleteYou get used to it after a while. I was surprised that I reverted back to non-farm time when I got home. I was able to relax and take it easy for a few days before getting to the projects we have around here.
DeleteI know Barb is happy to have you home! I’m happy you told us the wheat was a better harvest after reading about the weather issues earlier in your stay. The pictures of the columbines and truck in the field with the setting sun is a keeper! That’s a great group of folks you have there and I know they truly appreciate your help and hard work!
ReplyDeleteIf it had not been for that one hailstorm they would have had a great year. It is amazing how one storm of a matter of a mile of the storm's path can have such a huge impact.
DeleteBusy times! I did a drive to Alberta last weekend and harvesting is just starting. In one field there were 5 combines working. My guess they are custom combiners as it is rare to that many working at the same time. Things were still looking a bit green, as there has been heavy rain in that area in both AB and Saskatchewan.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you didn't have a serious injury from your fall. Harvest time with its long days can be dangerous times.
I bet the Frenchies will pin you down and make you rest for a bit. I'm sure Barb is happy to have you home too.
I bet you are right, that had to be a custom crew, otherwise that is one huge operation!
DeleteLife is good, you are home with Barb and your pups. All great photos but I loved the drone shot of you all with the combine harvesters(?) behind you (city girl here). Frame-worthy! I'm glad that tumble wasn't any worse, bad enough. I know it can be very dangerous working around all that farming equipment, having heard stories from our ND family. Very glad you are okay. Thank you for today's insight into a day on the farm and all it entails. My best to you and Barb and your pups.
ReplyDeleteThere are plenty of things around the farm that could cause serious injuries. Just like anywhere else, you have to be very cautious when operating some of this equipment.
Deletei have missed reading about your adventures...i am just starting to normalize my life, it's very different now. i have so much respect for farmers and farming...you grow healthy foods and feed us. that doggy bag looks so darn good, what a sweet thing for them to do!! there is no place like home, and i, like you, are really happy to be here!!
ReplyDeleteI don't know what you had done but it sounds serious. If you talked about it, I missed that post but I hope you have a speedy recovery!
DeleteLooks like another great harvest besides the bad weather. Careful there old man of those falls! Glad you’re ok and can still post!
ReplyDeleteThe few rain days did put a delay on things, we could have gotten a few more fields done had it not been for that.
DeleteFirst and foremost, good to hear you weren't seriously injured in that fall. Kinda scary to think about.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right about time. We take it for granted that our daily routines will be pretty much the same. Your abrupt change points out how things can be so different if we have to go by a another agenda than normal.
Fascinating information on the different types of canola. I never knew.
Glad you made it home to that comfy couch.
The couch is mighty comfy for sure. While there is plenty to do, I have not felt the need to get motivated to get things done. I actually watched an entire golf tournament and a movie today!
DeleteIt's amazing what goes into farming. I've learned so much with your time there. Hope your body is all healed from your "mistake." I'm sure everyone is thrilled you are home.
ReplyDeleteThere is so much to know! I have learned a lot as well, but it is not even one tenth of what I would need if I were to try to plant and harvest something myself.
DeleteAnother successful season under your belt other than your unfortunate fall. Hopefully the pain is short lived. It amazes me the amount of $ that farmers have to put out for machinery and equipment. Safe travels home!
ReplyDeleteMany/most have to get operating loans in the spring in order to pay for everything and then pay it off at the end of the season with hopefully enough money to have some left over to live on for a while.
DeleteWhat a cool video of family and fields! The combines are massive! Hope your injury heals up ok...might take some time.
ReplyDeleteChris did a great job with the drone and Holly equally as good putting it all together!
DeleteI don't know how you do what you do!
ReplyDeleteSomedays I would agree with you!
Delete