Friday, September 4, 2026

Zoey Learns a New Trick

 Those of you with small dogs know that they are sometimes not the smartest creatures on the planet. You probably also know that they are not as dumb as they may lead on to be.

While I was gone, Barb called me every morning from the gazebo where she has her morning coffee and the dogs play in the enclosure. Just hearing her talk about the antics of Zoey and Maisie made me home sick. She would describe to me how they will be running and Zoey will run into Maisie knocking her over and making her roll. Then Maisie will do the same thing to Zoey except Zoey is 25lbs and Maisie is maybe 10, so Maisie just bounces off of her and is the one who ends up rolling on the ground once again. 

She also got in the habit of bringing the dogs out to the pen, (aka dog jail) while she vacuums and does other things in the house. This has served her well, giving her the freedom to do what she wants without the little ones under foot. That is until she looked out and saw Maisie standing at the edge of the fence staring off into the distance. Zoey was nowhere to be seen. Barb finally saw Zoey a few yards outside the enclosure sniffing around. A jail break! She thought it was weird as it has never happened before but she went and got her, put her back in the pen, went back inside but kept an eye on her. Sure enough the little shit walked up to the edge of the fencing and leapt over it! In 5 years, she has never done this and now she decides to?!?!? Not all new tricks are good tricks!

So. the first order of business when I got home was to tear down the 2' fence and install a 3' fence. Well. Barb did most of the hard work as my wrist and shoulder at still out of commission. I was able to help take down the old fence and put up the new one, but she had to do all the post pounding. 

We were able to get most of the posts in with this pounder, but did have to borrow Neighbor Jim's hammer drill and T post bit for the last 5 that were in total rocky areas. 

Maisie learned a new trick too, and it is a good one! She is now sleeping through the night! No more getting up 3-4 times a night make for a happy Barbie!

Other than that project my motivation level has been very low. I did work out in the new garage prepping the overhead doors for an upcoming garage door installation. Barb has been working on her own projects. She got it in her head that she wants to redecorate the bedrooms, which I think are fine, but once an idea gets in her head, you best just get out of her way. There have been a flurry of Amazon packages coming in; pillows, comforters, duvets, curtains, candles, plants. Many of them went back only to have more packages replace them. Paint swatches are stuck to the walls...Me? I am thinking I might need to go back to the farm just to get out of her way!

She has also been working on a secret project in the workshop. I know what it is, but will have to wait to see the final product.

Last Saturday we went up to Spearfish to see my sister who was visiting Alana and Ryan. Also with her was her husband Murray and their son Marshall. It has been years since we have seen them!

It was also the first time Maisie has been on a big adventure. The first time she was harnessed and leashed. We stopped by a restaurant on our way and had lunch out on the patio with the dogs. Maisie was very good and just settled down under the table and slept while we ate. 

When we got to Ryan and Alana's all hell broke loose as Sophie and Loki greeted and investigated the new puppy. Zoey reacted the way we thought she would. She attacked anything that tried to play with her or get rough with her baby sister. She would let them smell her but anytime Sophie or Loki tried to play with Maisie, Zoey would in between them and put a stop to it.  

Other than that project, it was a pretty quiet week. I started getting things ready for bow season which opened on 9/1. Pretty hard to get excited for bow hunting when it is 85-90 outside. I've shot my bow twice and I have absolutely no strength in my left shoulder to lift the bow so whatever I did to it needs more time to heal. I am getting some interesting photos from the trail cameras though!






Besides deer, we have had several other visitors to the water tanks including bobcats, coyotes and even a stinky striped friend!




No blog is complete without a dog video, am I right? This clip was originally only 20 seconds which is not nearly long enough to annoy the hell out of Harry, so after 20 seconds I played it again in super slow motion. 

Although now that I think about it, if I had played the original 20 seconds in a loop Harry would have probably watched it for hours before he figured it out!

51 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you’re still in pain from your fall. Make sure you milk it for as long as possible! 🤣 Awesome pics on your critter cam! Your pups are certainly entertaining.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will! She was out picking rocks yesterday to put around the new fence and I told her that I would help her but my wrist......

      Delete
  2. Old dogs can learn new tricks, I guess, though usually not the ones you want. Hope she isn't a bad influence on Maisie. That fall sounds like it was a bear. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Maisie is trying to teach Zoey the bad habits. She has started to try to dig under the fence!

      Delete
  3. Our pets provide us endless entertainment, don't they? Take care of your shoulder and I hope it feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they do. They bring joy and entertainment along with frustration and anger at times too.

      Delete
  4. Stripey things are BAD!!! Wow I never thought Zoey would be that fast!!! Maisie sure has grown up!!! More pup pictures please .... you know, just to annoy Harry!!! BTW ... sit down and heal up. I'm sure Barb has more projects for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stripey things are bad, especially when they get too close to the house. So far, this one has stayed away. It's the red squirrels that have been giving me headaches this week!

      Delete
  5. Right now I would take 85-90 degrees in a heart beat. I am waiting for the dew to evaporate and likely it will be 95+ out when I get to mowing the grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! And you have the humidity to go along with that heat. No thank you. Do you have a lot of ditches to mow as well? They are responsible for some of the ditches up at the farm, I think they have to be mowed by 10/1.

      Delete
    2. We must not have the same rules. We try to keep our ditches free of trees but our local county maintenance crew will mow all the rural ditches at some point during the summer. We have enough mowing of various odds and ends we can't farm across all the various farms to keep us busy enough.

      Delete
  6. I missed a post and had to go back and read it to find out what happened to your shoulder. Hoping you heal up soon--are you using a sling to give your shoulder a rest?? That Zoey, shame on her for creating so much work for Barb! And good for Maisie, sleeping all night! I'm with Barb--after so long, things need updating. Mike is of the opinion that once it's done, it's done--nope! We had friends coming (a friend from high school that I had not seen in 40 years!) and I totally re-did the guest bathroom and guest bedroom! I love seeing the pups play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be redoing the guest room today, starting with painting it. She has already bought and likes the new bedding and pillows. No to the shoulder sling. I could probably use it, but it is slowly getting better so I think another week or two of the mild rest should do it.

      Delete
  7. Awww...Zoey is a very protective big sister! Though she certainly caused some real work with the need to replace the dog pen fence.
    I do hope your shoulder heals up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did, and some expense. Overall it is a vast improvement over the previous set up. Barb can now leave the door open and they can come and go when ever they need to. She is looking into getting a doggy door which would help keep the flies out.

      Delete
  8. Fun to see your water tank visitors! Well except for the skunk. Nice rack on that buck. Bear season is on here and the next door great nephew Mason got a nice bear:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one thing I miss about not living in Wisconsin. I think my bear hunting days are over but I did enjoy sitting in a tree stand and watching them to bear things in the woods.

      Delete
  9. Hello,
    I love the cute dog video, they are having fun playing. I have to put my dog on a lead while outside, she has jumped the fence. Love the deer, bobcat and coyote photos. I would not want the skunk hanging around. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dog looks a lot more athletic than the pups. We've seen Zoey jump up to a 3' surface, so far Maisie is limited to about 1 foot.

      Delete
  10. You should have borrowed my post driver, it weighs 36 pounds and puts T bars through 6 inch cement slabs.
    Always cute watching dogs protect their siblings. A four-foot fence may have been better, not just for keeping the kids in but for keeping predators out.
    I hope you don't have the same shoulder problem that I do. I fell over backwards and knew there was a problem right away, but doctors send you everywhere that you don't have to. Eighteen Months later the torn ligament will finally be reattached.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I don't know if I could even lift that pounder! What we need is something to keep the snakes out! They couldn't eat the pups but a bight might be painful!
      I have not been to the doctor as they are just going to say to immobilize and rest it which is what I am trying to do now.

      Delete
  11. That's kinda funny that the dog was able to leap over the fence. You had quite a few animals come around. My dog is 12 years old now and he gets me up pretty much every night at 3am to go out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dakota is now 12 years old but is able to still go through the night. I am guessing that she too will soon need to go out in the middle of the night.

      Delete
  12. Hi guys! I’m with Janna…I love seeing the puppies play and probably would have watched the video and over too. We always take a pen to set up at our RV sites and so far so good. None of The Tan Clan…even Wrecks who was the biggest, and Dover who was a jumper ever tried to “escape”. The trail camera photos are so cool. Does Barb ever have issues with them eating her plants. We had to fence our Georgia backyard because they ate everything I planted. I hope your arm and shoulder are much better soon and kudos to Barb for redecorating…girls just like doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that we have replaced a portion of the fencing, we have some extra panels to take with us on the road. WE have never set up a pen before but we have plans to this year!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to answer about the deer! Yes, and no. The whitetails do not bother anything. I do not know if it is because they don't like it or if are more skittish. The mule deer on the other hand have no issue eating the moss roses Barb planted.

      Delete
  13. I bet she wanted to see if she could jump over the fence again. Nice post, good photos. Like the video, dogs do have fun when playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she wants to! She has sat there and judged it up a couple of times looking like she is ready to leap but stops when we yell at her.

      Delete
  14. I was wondering how the puppy was doing. Maisie looks like she is adjusting well. And Zoey... well I've learned having dogs that they always seem to learn new tricks. Sometimes good, sometimes NOT. And since my 2 are 12 and 13, I don't worry too much about them running off, but when they were younger, Miss Maddie was a terror at escaping. Even a portable crate we had. But that's part of the fun (?) right? Hope the new fence works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new fence is working well so far except for Zoey trying to dig under it when she sees a rabbit. Now we have put rocks around the border to try and prevent that.

      Delete
  15. barb is just amazing, she puts the rest of us to shame. i know you appreciate her, she has ALL the skills. i do not know how she would be able to vacuum with those guys in the room. i enjoyed the pictures from the trail cam. i know you are not going to shoot one, they would never shoot you!! the buck is gorgeous. i enjoyed the video, i am glad i stuck with it to see the slow-mo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will get no argument from me on Barb's skills or awesomeness!

      Delete
  16. Your adventures never fail to entertain. Aside from your injury.
    I enjoyed your variety of critters. We only see the Bobcat when things are cold. Which is soon!
    Those doggies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you ever see any lynx in your area, it seems like the kind of habitat they would like.

      Delete
  17. Barb always amazes us! There's nothing that girl can't do! I know you would have rather been doing it yourself but you need to continue taking care of yourself. Loved the video, so cute :) Ken and Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is, I have not found it yet. Except where it comes to a strength, where we are all limited to at some point.

      Delete
  18. I feel for you all as Dakota's Days get shorter and shorter...at least you have two adorable little ones to keep you sane and help you through the process when it comes...hopefully years from now, but you never know... Love how Zoey and Maisie play together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is hard watching her. You can tell her mind is there while her body is failing. Very sad to see.

      Delete
  19. That is quite an active watering hole.. sure the animals appreciated it. Is there anything Barb can't do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water is rare around here this year so putting the cameras on the water tanks is the way to go.

      Delete
  20. Your pups sound like such characters -- Zoey with her daring escape and Maisie finally giving Barb a full night’s rest. I hope your shoulder heals quickly so you can enjoy bow season without discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After another week, I have come to the conclusion that this one is going to take a while to fully heal.

      Delete
  21. They are so cute! The escape artist story gave me a smile. How wonderful to get to see your sister and her family. The trail cam photos were great, so were the other photos. Hope your sore parts heal soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get to see her again next month as we are traveling back east for a wedding in a month or so!

      Delete
  22. Your life is never calm with those two crazy puppies. Zoey knows just how to keep Maisie busy. Sorry you are still sore from your mishap. Good thing you are married to a work horse. Hope all is well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you called Barb a horse?!?!? You may be right, but I am not brave enough to call her that.

      Delete
  23. Yeah I have had many small dogs and they are often smarter then they let on but always but then are they too dumb to learn or too stubborn to learn. The trail cam photos are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  24. Catching up with you, amd missed that you had a fall! Bummer, especially with hunting season soon coming.
    The dog stories are so funny, and the trailcam photos are great. You and Barb are apparently not the wildest wildlife around there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the amount of animals coming to visit!

    ReplyDelete