Saturday, July 3, 2021

Keep on Dream'in

 You ever wonder what dogs dream about? They bark, they whine, they “air run” so what is going on in that head of theirs? Does Dakota dream about Daisy? Do they dream about steak dinners and chasing cats? Do cats dream? I tend to doubt it, but if they do I am sure they dream about killing their owners and eating their remains.

Zoey is a big dreamer. Barking and growling in her sleep. Which is great for Barb as Zoey tends to sleep with her head on Barb’s neck or right next to her head. How Barb can sleep like that is still beyond me! If I were to guess, I am sure Zoey dreams about endless fields of mushrooms and deer droppings, or chicken droppings, or cat poop, she will basically eat anything.

Speaking of dreams. When Barb and I first got married we had lots of dreams of the non-sleep variety. Through the years we have fulfilled many, changed some, added more. Dreams are what motivated us through the years to work towards an end goal. Barb and I are lucky to have similar goals and dreams but some couples are not so lucky. I have one friend who dreams of nothing but an endless supply of Old Style or Busch Light beer while his wife dreams about having a husband with a body like The Rock. See the issue here? Although he may weigh as much as The Rock, the sad reality is I doubt her dream will ever be realized.

What are our dreams right now? Pretty simple actually,  Now, as we get older, although we still have dreams like me shooting a big moose or finishing our house, our main dream is seeing our kids to be happy and healthy. It brings a glow to our hearts seeing our kids work hard towards and achieve some of their dreams. Forrest is doing really well as a Real Estate Agent and Jessica's career as a Nurse Manager over the Family Birthing and NICU is going great.  

We had two incidents this week. The first one was funny, the second was potentially tragic. I was walking out to the camper to find my lovely bride. She disappeared 30 minutes prior and had not returned. I figured she was relaxing and enjoying the A.C. in the camper so I was going to roust her. As I was walking to the camper some movement caught the corner of my eye. I looked over towards the shed to see this…..

The picture does not really show what I was seeing. The bag was actually moving up and down in the crack of the door. I walk over and open the door to find this……

You see this shed has a gate latch on it, you know the ones that self-lock when they close? Well Barb went in there to get the dog pool because it is so hot and yup, the door closed on her. She said it was hot in there but knew someone would come look for her eventually. Probably about dinner time. Nothing like a 30 minute sit in a shed sauna to sweat out what ails you!

The second incident was very scary. Barb was walking the dogs in the yard. Zoey was on a leash and Dakota was off running in the brush. She was watching Dakota when she noticed Zoey bend down to sniff something. Since she is always eating everything in sight Barb looked over to see what she was up to in time to see her a rattle snake lunge at Zoey. She pulled Zoey so hard she flew backwards and just fast enough to avoid her from being bit.

Frantic and traumatized Barb came and got me and after walking around a bit we found it. That snake has now been permanently relocated and will not be a danger ever again. Forrest said it was the 3rd they have found in their yard this year.

Zoey did make a new friend however. Whenever the neighbor’s horse sees Zoey coming over that way it walks over to the fence and they smell each other through the fence. You have to wonder what is going through each other’s minds!

The week was filled with more house projects. We have finished working on the loft and stair railing and installing a new front door. But with the unbearably hot here in Klamath Falls. 90’s all week, one day a high of 108! It really hampers the motivation to work but we carry as with the little motivation that we have.

If you look closely at the picture below you can see 2x4 & 2x6 railings going up the stairs as well as a wall at the top of the stairs. 

We removed the existing 2x4 & 2x6 railings and two half walls replacing them with aluminum balusters and wood handrails. 

After we leave they are going to finish painting and replace the carpet. They are getting there slowly but surely!

To escape the heat we went to Lake of the Woods one day. It is about an hour west of here in the mountains. Just what the doctor ordered! We found a nice spot right on the beach and in the shade. 

Dakota and Zoey played in the water all day. This was Zoey's first swimming adventure and she jumped in with no fear in the world. We put her life jacket on her and she swam, waded and sat on the bow of the kayak as I paddled around the lake. 

Another day Lily had a sleep over at a friends house and we went out to a The Falls Taphouse and sat up on the patio taking advantage of the views on the patio.

Saturday was still hot but we ventured into town to take in the annual car show. There were hundred of cars. Here are a few of our favorites.....

An old tow truck!
I thought our friend Greg in Spring Valley Wisc. when I saw this one!



With our time here coming to an end it was time for Forrest and I to have our annual archery shoot. If you will remember we fold up several bills and pin them to the target. Forrest was looking to avenge my victory from last year.  For this challenge a $20 bill was folded fairly small at 30 yards. I had the yellow fletching and Forrest has green. As you can see I won the first round and put $20 in my pocket. 
Papa wins at 30 yards!
We then moved back to 45 yards and used a whole $20 bill. It only took one round for Forrest to claim victory at that range.

Forrest wins at 45 yards
So the 2021 archery challenge ended in a draw with both of us recouping our $20. Forrest will have to continue his dream of besting me in archery, my beer drinking friend will continue to dream of the endless keg at the end of the rainbow and I will dream of a 60" moose with my name on it. Happy 4th everyone, keep on a dream'in and carry on!

20 comments:

  1. Wow...I haven’t seen a Plymouth Super Bee in years. Very cool....unlike Barb in the shed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a weird looking car aren't they?!?! You have to wonder, what cars of today will people look back at in 50 years and think are really cool.

      Delete
  2. At first I thought you were in SD working on your place. Poor Barb! I’m glad she wasn’t in there too long! The lake looked very refreshing and Zoey sure looked to enjoy the water. Is SD as hot as your sons place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a handful of days in the 90's back home but it cools down into the 50's at night. We are hoping for cooler weather back home.

      Delete
  3. Zoey is a lucky dog!!! You would think nature would warn them not to go nose to nose with snakes, but they do it every time. I have to admit, I also have permanently relocated rattlesnakes. So happy all turned out well. It's a good thing she has a life jacket ... doesn't their psi tend to make them sink straight to the bottom? Too cute pictures!! I had several dreams once, but alas, I cannot now remember where I put them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that FBD's cannot swim but Zoey did swim for a few seconds before we put her life jacket on so she can swim a little. I would not test that theory too long though as you are right, they are very solid. We did have a mini wiener dog that could not swim at all and sank straight to the bottom.

      Delete
  4. Good thing you found your girls fairly quickly ... talk about being stuck although I am sure that Barb would have just taken apart the shed from the inside out if you hadn't. lol Quick thinking regarding that rattle snake. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought something was up when she was gone so long but I just figured she was hanging with the pups in the camper. Imagine my surprise when I went outside and saw that!

      Delete
  5. Poor Barb very calm and patient waiting to be rescued. Looks like Zoey is enjoying all of her new adventures with her new family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb has now run a string from the gate latch through a hole in the shed so she can let herself out should that ever happen again!

      Delete
  6. So glad neither incident ended in tragedy! Dale laughed at the swimming pictures of Zoey, wondering how such a little chunk of a dog can swim vs. just sink. Glad she enjoyed Lake of the Woods, on our list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth the trip up there. Lots of water, campgrounds and hiking trails!

      Delete
  7. If it makes Barb feel any better, I got locked in a bathroom at the Iowa State Capitol this week and I had given Kevin my phone to hold so, for a moment, I thought "Oh great, I'm gonna die in a bathroom in a state capitol building and no one's even gonna know because the legislature is on summer break and there's no one here." Luckily, I fought with the lock until it opened and no one had to find my body years later. Also, Zoey in a life jacket is the cutest thing I have seen in weeks! Glad all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That too is funny! You and Barb should hang out together at least you will have someone to talk to when you lock yourselves in somewhere!

      Delete
  8. I have always worried about snakes when taking any of our dogs out...that was TOO CLOSE! Love the swimming jacket. No idea if our Indy likes water, I know Bubba and Skruffy did not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb had gotten Daisy and Dakota rattle snake shots at the vet a couple of years ago. I am guessing she will do the same again as soon as Zoey is old enough. It does not prevent the venom from affecting the dog but does give you more time to get them to the vet.

      Delete
  9. I too envy your beer drinking friend. Who wouldn't want and endless supply of beer served to you by a buxom babe in German beer garden fashion. One dream you failed to mention though is the one of the day we met. That was the day all your dreams came true. And our nightmare began. I congratulate Barb on her McGiverisms. Adapt, Improvise and Overcome. One of my mottos. Feel free to adopt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may have been hit on the head one too many times while trying to catch a beer Lisa was throwing you for it is us who have been living a nightmare since that fateful day in 2014!

      Delete
    2. Thats a lot of smack talk to someone who owns a cannon.

      Delete
  10. Scary about the rattle snake. We're heading west this winter so we'll have to start watching out for them.

    ReplyDelete