Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Christmas Memories

My earliest Christmas memories begin around 6, 7, maybe 8 years old. With 6 other siblings, it was the most exciting time of the year for us. All of the kid’s bedrooms were down a long hall. We were not allowed to come down that hallway until we were summonsed. My brother Rod and I the two youngest, could hardly contain our excitement often getting admonished by our older brother and sisters as we crept down the hallway to take a peek into the living room to see what mom and dad were up to.

When everything was ready, my dad would ring a bell. It was a little handheld bell that only came out on that one day a year. We would then all come down the hall into the living room in an orderly fashion to the sounds of Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, and the like playing on my dad's reel to reel. When I say orderly, I am not kidding, no running, no rushing, we had to walk calmly into the living room like the Von Trapp family. Once we got to the living room, we were blinded by the light bar on my dad’s movie camera. This lightbar bar had 4 or 5 huge bulbs on it that threw enough light and heat to melt plastic!

We would then march up to our Christmas stockings take them off the wall above the fireplace and sit down to see what Santa brought in our stockings. Every year they were filled with mixed nuts in the shell and on the bottom, a tangerine! Next came the presents! My dad would sit at the base of the tree, grab a present, announce who it was for and watched as that person opened it. Once it was opened, he handed out the next present for someone else, we watched them open…. This process was repeated until all the presents were gone. I specifically recall one present, a remote-control helicopter. Well not remote control as they had not been invented yet. It had 4 D batteries in the handle with a button on it and a plastic cable that led to the helicopter. When you pushed the button on the handle it sent power to the helicopter, and it lifted into the air tethered to the power cable. I was walking around the living room flying the coolest toy ever amongst my 8 other family members, as I approached my sister Judy, something went amiss, and it turned sideways allowing the propellers to get entangled in her waist long hair! Screams were everywhere! From Judy, who was running around with a helicopter hanging from her hair and from me running around as my dad was whooping my butt! Good times…. I don't have any pictures from back then and even the home movies my dad made have gone M.I.A.

For Barb's part, her memories involved heavily tinseled trees and spending the day with her mom, dad and brother. Ironically the pictures below were taken in Klamath Falls only a few miles from where Forrest lives now. What are the odds of an Oregon girl ending up in Wisconsin and having a son that ends up in her hometown some 2,000 miles away? 

Barb at 2 years old

Barb and her brother

Christmas’ during my teenage years were a blur but my first Christmas with Barb, I will never forget. I was 22. You should have seen the look on the face of my family when I showed up to Christmas with an older woman and her 4-year-old child I met less than 2 months before! “Look what I found dad; can I keep her?!!?” They accepted both Barb and Jessica into our family and the rest is history.

The very next Christmas Barb showed up like this… Now how did that happen?!?! Since then, Christmas’ were our favorite time of year. Just thinking back on the joy and wonder of Christmas brought to our kids makes our hearts glow with love.

Looking back, we were not very good at taking pictures during Christmas, but at least we have these to look back on and reminisce.

1990?

1991

Here is a short video of our 1992 Christmas. It leaves a lump in my heart and tears in my eyes every time I watch it. I wish I could go back and relive those years with Barb and the kids. 

1996?

1998 maybe?
I know it was not 94, we did not build this house until 97

2002

As the years passed by the kids got older and older, eventually moving away. Since then, Christmas pictures have pretty much disappeared except for the occasional pet picture.
2003 Bailey's first Christmas!

Daisy's first Christmas

Dakota's first Christmas '17 (with us)

                         
                                         And of course, this year, Zoey's first Christmas
                To all our friends and family, we wish you a Merry Christmas and a joyous 2022!

30 comments:

  1. What great memories. Thanks for sharing. Glad you have the photos of the dogs first Christmas. I am disappointed that Zoey got the BIG photo at the end instead of Dakota. Poor Dakota. I worry about her getting her fair share of love. She is the prettiest. Merry Christmas to you and Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dakota gets her fair share of love. She just does not like her picture taken as much as Zoey. You can tell from the one picture we did get of her that she is not having the best of times. She lays with me on the couch throughout the day and on the bed at night. You can tell she really loves her special time beside me on the bed at night.

      Delete
  2. Love all those old pictures! I grew up as a Kodak kid, (my Dad worked there), and I think you & your sibs would have been excellent Kodak kids - thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas. OBTW, not enough tinsel on that tree dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas decorating sure has changed through the years. Tinsel was one of the main items on our tree as a child. That as well as popcorn on a string of course! Neither adorn our tree as adults. Too much mess with the tinsel and not enough time to make the popcorn strings.

      Delete
  3. Jessica going unglued over the jeans-du-jour is excellent! Love the von Trapp reference. I remember my 5 year old Christmas, as I got Mr. Machine. It broke a few days later. Our aluminum tree didn’t require tinsel, as it was basically made of it. Is Zoey getting a John Deere for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to ask Barb what kind of jeans they were. Girbaud, I guess they were all the rave back then! You're kidding right? This is a Case household!

      Delete
  4. Ah, yes. Good times indeed. Merry Christmas guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great memories! Christmas is really all about the kids and being excited for them. Zoey and Dakota are great sports posing for photos. Merry Christmas and all the best in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoey does not seem to mind but Dakota looks miserable. But she is a good sport. Merry Christmas to you two and have fun in the desert!

      Delete
  6. What great memories!! Yessirree I got the same stocking, taped to the card table, with whole walnuts and an orange inside. And yes, the exact same tinsel covering the tree. Zoey's Christmas picture makes me laugh!!! Such good kids you have now, posing by the fireplace! Merry Christmas to you, Barb and the kids! BTW, I looked just like that video last week when I actually found a pair of Levis that fit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica saw that video and said she would not be able to walk for a week if she jumped around like that now!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing those precious moments with us. You are really turning into a big ole softy. Some of those photos had a wierd gangly looking guy in them. Almost creepy looking. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the gloom and doom on the news, we all need a little merriment in our lives. You like my creepy mustache? I think I could bring them back into style!

      Delete
  8. All I can say is AWWWWWWW, what wonderful memories. Looking back does bring tears to your eyes. Merry Christmas you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun looking back on those videos and seeing the kids like that, such cool memories. Merry Christmas to you guys as well!

      Delete
  9. Older woman...I don't think so. To us 'older' means when she was in high school, I was in diapers. lol

    Great Christmas memories. On way back from California we heard a new Christmas song by Josh Turner called "Soldier's Gift". Made me think about the Christmas when one of my brother's was in 'Nam, the other in Germany, both serving in the Army. Then I thought about my Grandma and how on Christmas Day, 1941, she had no idea if all of her sons were still alive since one was at Pearl Harbor on the 7th...and how in future Christmas Days she wondered if the five sons who were serving in WW2 were still alive. It is a great song, look it up on YouTube. (note: both brothers survived, only lost one Uncle in May 1945 just before it was all over)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check that out. My dad was in the military, he never saw any action and was out by the time I was born. It has to be hard for those military families who lost loved ones, or they are on assignment away from home. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  10. Such cute memories!! Merry Christmas to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas to you both and the pooches! Reading of your Christmases as a kid Benno said it was the same at his house (with 6 kids) After the bell ringing there was a loud clap as the front door closed when apparently Santa left. Before opening their presents all the kids had to recite a poem or sing Christmas songs. Wonderful memories, thanks for sharing. BTW the photo of 1991 cracked me up as you all looked just like us. Too funny :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Christmases were even more structured than ours with the poems and songs! But what great memories! It is funny to see the old pictures of the kids and ourselves. We tend to think we are the same people, at least in mind but when you see those pictures you see how much you really did change!

      Delete
  12. Merry Christmas!! Love seeing all the Christmas passed post. Would you believe me if I told you while riding the past few days, I was composing something similar in my head? We wish y'all a Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and Dave! Looking forward to reading about your Christmas memories, they are so special!

      Delete
  13. Loved taking the trip with you down memory lane and seeing your family (canine and human) grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you guys, looks like you are enjoying your time in Texas!

      Delete
  14. Merry Christmas to you both...love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Christmas memories. I remember those heavily tinselled trees. When I was older it was was my job to put the tinsel on, one string at a time.

    Enjoy this Christmas and continue making new memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember much about decorating our trees when I was young, but I imagine that tinsel was a pain!

      Delete