Friday, June 3, 2022

Rémi, the Crazy Frenchman!

 The other title for this post I was thinking of was “We’re not in Kansas anymore Toto”. Both are true and accurate.

Leaving Pasha we headed east on Trans Canada 11 toward Geraldton, then through Longlac and points  eastward. Once we left Longlac we were on roads that were new to us and Barb got to color in some roads on her atlas. 

This here is Guy-Paul Treefall. The 20 foot Ontario equivalent of Paul Bunyan. The only difference is that Paul does not give you the finger.  

This is not the crazy Frenchman

Our goal was to just drive 4 hours each day then either explore the area or just relax. A concept a lot of RV’ers do but we have never been good at. We usually drive 6, 8, 10 hours to get to our next destination. We may just do it more often as it our first stop really paid off!

Barb had pre-scouted and picked a boat landing that she had found on the Opasatika River (Freecampsites.net). We got there, parked and set up. 

Right along the river

The first thing we noticed that it was hot, 87° hot. The second thing we noticed was the bugs; both black flies and mosquitoes. We have not experienced bugs this bad in years! Someone made a comment on one of our recent blogs that said something like “Your friends like Barb better, the dogs like Barb better, and even the fish like Barb better!” While all of that is sadly true, there is another thing that likes Barb better than me that I am not upset about. That is the blackflies. They just attack her and leave me totally alone….. and I am okay with that! She got bit up like crazy!

Since it was so hot we took the dogs down to the water for a swim.  Dakota was in heaven! I was throwing a toy out in the middle of the river and she swam out and got it time after time.

Pretty soon a truck and boat pull up and start backing down the ramp where we are standing so we moved out of the way. They back up and this man, a girl and two large dogs jump out of the truck. The man was maybe in his 60’s, and the girl was much younger. They start unhooking their boat when the  man starts talking to us in a loud charismatic voice saying “Hello!”. We walked over and talked while the dogs played. He asks where we were from and we tell him “South Dakota!” he says, “You’re a long way from home!” He goes on “I am Rémi and I am a Frenchman!”

We start talking, about fishing, the weather, the river, the bugs….. You could definitely tell he was French but I was catching most of what he was saying. Then they headed out fishing....30 minutes later a storm passes through with high winds and a torrential downpour. Here is where I should probably mention Rémi was wearing jeans and no shirt and the girl (his daughter) was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. We knew they had to be getting soaked out there and watched the boat landing knowing they would be back soon. Sure enough here they come like two drowned rats laughing and smiling as they landed their boat. We were looking out the window at them as it was still raining and Rémi starts yelling “Come! Come!” looking in the direction of our camper. I was not sure if he was yelling at us or one of the dogs that was sniffing around the camper. Pretty soon Rémi comes over and knocks on our door. “Come, I have fish for you!”

So Barb and I went out and sure enough they had 9 nice walleyes and he says “You take 2 for lunch”. Who am I to refuse an offer like that?!? We talked some more and he said “You friend me on Facebook and we go fishing next time!” You don’t have to ask me twice! So Rémi, if you are reading this now, thanks again for the fish!

Do they look a little wet?!?!
I got a little history on Rémi while we were talking. He was born and raised right there in Opasatika (population 226). His father was a truck driver and so is Rémi. As a matter of fact, here is a picture of his truck right here!

He has 2 kids; a son who is 24 years old and his daughter in the picture is 20. He was quite the character, I wish we had more time to sit and chat with him. I think his kids would even agree with the moniker of Crazy Frenchman!

The next morning we packed up and headed east towards Quebec. Now, we have been in Canada dozens of times; Ontario, British Columbia, The Yukon, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. But crossing into Quebec was like crossing into another country. Everything was in French. All the road signs, all the billboards, all the store and shop signs. We were not in Kansas anymore Toto!

We stopped for the day at another free site that Barb had found. Halte De Rapide-danceus Campground with 16 sites on the lake outside of Rouyn-Noranda. There were a lot of signs at the entrance that we had no idea what they said but we did see one that said “$25/jour” I was not sure if “Jour” night or day but I was pretty sure that it was $25 to stay there. The problem was, there was no one around, no paperwork to fill out and we had no idea what the signs said. So we went in, found a spot and parked. We had the place to ourselves, not another soul in sight. 

If we thought the last spot we stopped had a lot of millions of bugs, this place had a gazillion! We took the dogs for a walk and they got attacked. Poor Dakota had a dozen on her nose alone. 

Poor Dakota, those are all mosquitoes!
We decided that we were not going to stay there so we went back to have lunch before we left. About the time we were ready to leave a car pulls up and a woman gets out. I went out to greet her and said “Hi”. She said “Bonjour”. I started talking, she started talking, and it became immediately clear that neither of us had a clue what the other was saying. So we just stared at each other for what seemed like an uncomfortably long time. I was trying to tell her we were leaving. I have no idea what she was trying to say. Finally she made a hand gesture that looked something like a bird flying away and said “Un parte” (or something like that), I said “yes” and she turned and went back to her car. As she was walking away I thought I heard her say “Dumás”. Like I said, I don’t understand French but Dumás must mean something like “handsome” in French. At least that is what I am going with.

So, the camper filled with mosquitoes, we headed to town. Luckily Barb still has The Executioner we bought in ’16 for our Alaska adventure. It is awesome! There is nothing like the sound of that ‘snap’ and the smell of burning mosquito! 

On our way to town, Barb downloaded a French/English translator app. I started throwing words at her to see how to say them in French. Cheeseburger translated…. is Cheeseburger. Sotir is exit and luckily Diesel is Diesel which by the way is $2.38/liter (8.99ca/gallon) ($7.28us/gallon). Yikes! Which is why we are staying at Walmart tonight!

The next morning we hit the road and continued east but first a stop at Tim Horton’s. Her mission; 1 chocolate peanut, 1 chocolate coconut and some donut holes for herself. When she went to order she got the same stare that I got from the lady at the campground. So she just started pointing. She came back with a chocolate glazed, a chocolinni and donut holes. The chocolinni was a croissant looking thing but very dense. Barb and I each took one bite and we were done. The rest were delicious though!

Our 4 hour journey took us to Grand-Remous where we stayed at a little parking lot next to the Savoyard Covered Bridge.




This bridge is 102’ long and was built in 1931 and is still in use today. A very pretty little spot for small rigs with only a few bugs. A few people attempted to talk to us, one knew a little English the others just tried and walked away.

The last leg of our journey to Montreal took us a little over 3 hours were we will be for the next couple of days. How’s my elbow you ask? The same. Someone thought maybe it was a form of gout, and it may very well be. Everything I’ve read about gout is that it is extremely painful. My elbow does not hurt at all.

Overall the trip is going good. The roads are a lot like Alaska with frost heaves, lots of potholes, cracking and filler. I wish diesel was a little cheaper and we wish we knew a little more French. But hey, if you are headed up this way and are going through Opasatika, look for Rémi, the crazy Frenchman, he may teach you a few words. And maybe even take you fishing!  

47 comments:

  1. Try avoiding the Blackflies at all cost because they are like cannibals and those Mosquitos carry a lot of things you don't want to catch.
    Sounds like you may have Tendinitis which can be caused from gripping the steering wheel too tightly on our crazy Canadian roads.
    Be Safe and Enjoy exploring Montreal.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could very well be it as the roads here in Quebec are pretty bad! The blackflies get under Barb's hair and attack her neck and ears leaving nasty lumps!

      Delete
  2. Ran into our biggest mosquito problem in Tagish, Yukon...them suckers were would land on your arm 30-40 at a time! Hardest thing was taking the dogs (Bubba and Skruffy) out for a walk. In the morning when I unhooked electricity and water, there wasn't a mosquito in sight.

    Seems the Frenchman got a lot of fish in a very short time. You gotta find that fishing hole, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have gotten a picture of 30-40 on Barb's arm but she would not stand still long enough for me to take the picture! Rémi said he went a few miles up the river to his fishing hole. A boat would definitely have been needed.

      Delete
  3. So cool Remi shared some of his fish with you! Sorry about the bugs though; that does not sound fun at all!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rémi and his daughter were super nice. It is good to see that people like them still exist in this world!

      Delete
  4. I think Remi is my cousin! He looks like he could be my brother. Funny about the donut. Diana asked for a donut in Quebec and came back to the car with white cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to seen the expression on your face when she came back with a white cake! I bet you guys laughed until you had tears rolling down your face!

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your Quebec travels;there are lots of Remi personalities away from the major centres & they will give you the shirt off their back if needed.Barb would find a beekeepers hat with netting ( sold in sporting stores) a big help with the bugs.Being pretty gregarious & with French translation app you should manage just fine.So relax & enjoy your in Canada.A James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far everyone we have interacted with has been very friendly. Even those who could not understand us. We brought a couple of bug suits and head nets but it did not even dawn on us to break them out. I bet the locals would have laughed at us seeing us walk around with those on!

      Delete
  6. I think someone else also said that you just have a "Weenis bulge". It will go away if you think of your grandmother or something like that. You would think that there would be more bi-lingual people there. Try a London Fog from Tim Hortons. They are to die for. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There very well could be. We have run into a few more here in Montreal but not a lot. I know Lisa has to approve anything you put in your blog post. Perhaps it is time she reviews your comments as well!

      Delete
  7. Hi. Welcome to Quebec. 1st lesson, stay out of the countryside the end of May , 1st 2 weeks of June. It is called Black Fly season . After that you are clear. While in Montreal you have to go to Lafleur's. ask for deux all dressed, pate fries et une pepsi. also you have to try our beer, Molson or Labatt. Enjoy your visit, glad to have you. Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like we hit the peak of the bug season then. Molson is one of my favorites. I like it a little more over Labatts. Alexander Keith's is pretty tasty too!

      Delete
  8. Hi Jim and Barb,

    Just want to give you a “heads up” for when you come to the island. Dogs aren’t allowed on the beaches in the national park on PEI. There are many public beaches where you can take the dogs however.

    This year, wildlife officials recommend you not let dogs off lead on island beaches. There are some dead birds washing up on the beaches this year. They are dying from Avian flu which can be transmitted to dogs who eat the dead birds. We saw one such bird on the beach this past week.

    We won’t let our grand dog, Georgie off lead on the beaches this year. She seeks out such remains usually.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information. Dakota just ignores dead this but Zoey thinks everything is a potential snack.

      Delete
  9. Wow they say because of such a wet spring the mosquitos and black flies are terrible everywhere. Due to our bat issues here ... we have none. :) Over at the park beside us though there are tons of black fies. Black flies really affect me too. The bites will itch for a week and I end up with holes in my skin. My only fix is taking Benadryl so I don't keep scratching and lots of bug spray. Sounds like you are having fun regardless. Way to go Barbie with the Executioner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to try benadryl, I know we have some somewhere in this camper!

      Delete
  10. You should have called me. I speak French. Weird, right? It's the absolute best season to be traveling through mosquitos and black flies. I took along some bug spray and covered myself, my dogs and the entire outside of my doorway. If you have any beehive equipment around, those face nets work great!! Love meeting nice characters along the way!! Hat's off to Remi!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds and looks like a great trip so far and making new friends too! Poor Dakota she looks so miserable in that one picture :( Too bad there's not more people that understand English. Love the covered bridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll, we are the visitors so it is to be expected. We just need to learn some French!

      Delete
  12. Remi sounds like quite the character, hopefully he’s the first of many as you travel on. We must have just missed the bug season when we traveled eastern Canada as we never had that issue. Safe travels!
    Colibaba’s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you had a great time in Hawaii, cannot wait to read about it!

      Delete
  13. Oh god I remember the Black Flies from living in Upstate NY! Watch the hairline! Kids always had tricked of blood down their necks. Remi sounds like a cool guy! The lady not do much. I can do ok with Spanish and Italian but I’m lost with French! We loved Quebec but the people were a bit challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where they get Barb too. Luckily we are out of that area and onto less buggier locales.

      Delete
  14. Glad you ran into Remi. A nice welcoming fellow. We only visited Quebec once many year ago and never returned. We were so unwelcome because we didn't speak French. Not the nicest people. Whenever we were anywhere else in Canada it was easy to know who the French were. They were the entitled ones who took the whole the bike path or sidewalk and expected you to move for them. My bike mirror hit many a Frenchy as I claimed my space! Ugh! Bugs! The worst part (well, the humidity, also) of visiting the east. Blackflies and mosquitoes would have had me turning around. Poor Dakota!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not do humidity well so we are not looking forward to that. We have yet to run into anyone who was out and out rude. So far everyone has been pretty nice but I have heard your tale from several others as well.

      Delete
  15. We're in New England right now and the crazy rainy spring has given rise to an insane number of ticks... so I feel for you guys. Bugs are the worst and I think this Summer is gonna be brutal. Hopefully as you continue north, things will improve.

    In the meantime, I have it on good authority that, in French, the word "dumas" actually means: "Oh my god, that dude is SO COOL!"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally, someone who actually knows what Dumas means. I had several others trying to tell me it has a derogatory meaning! Generally I do not mind bugs; mosquitoes or black flies. Even ticks do not freak me out. It's the way they affect Barb. She just swells up like a tick! Except spiders, they will have me running like a little girl and hid behind Barb!

      Delete
  16. Glad you are having fun and enjoying the adventure. I truly feel for Barb and her ability to attract bugs, for some reason I have the same issue. Dale gets 0 bites and I look like I have the chicken pox after we encounter swarms of mosquitoes, it's awful!
    Stay safe, look forward to hearing about your next funny encounter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've read that certain blood types attract bugs more than others. Maybe girls are just sweeter!

      Delete
  17. Man, the (Canadian) mosquitos are big and brutal. I remember once when I thought I was going to be a mountain woman (I was 19) I made it up about 600 miles N of Toronto before the skeeters ran me off all the way down to Palm Beach, FL. Had scars for weeks. Besides all that, your trip sounds like fun and an adventure. Go Barb, keep a spare set of batteries for the Executioner! Zoey looks on excitedly while Barb flails away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoey has a mixture of excitement and fear when Barb starts flailing that thing around. Dakota and I, we just have fear!

      Delete
  18. this all sounds so exciting, i wonder if it would be for me, if i would enjoy it. it sounds like so much fun to me!! i wondered how you were fairing with gas prices, here it is on average about 6 dollars a gallon.

    too bad about the bugs, hopefully that doesn't occur too often!! i really enjoy talking to strangers too, you learn the most amazing things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last few days the bugs have gone down. The fuel prices have not!
      We are torn as we love our home and we love traveling so we try to mix it up as much as possible.

      Delete
    2. i'm sure that gas prices have impacted you greatly. i enjoyed the covered bridge on this my second visit!! i hope you are having a great week.

      Delete
  19. Just a few thoughts, Benadryl will make Barb sleepy. Go to a pharmacy, Walmart even and get 24 hour Claritin, non drowsy, that will stop the itch. Sorry about the bugs. Quebec is like its own country and most of the French people are stuck up and above others, most especially if you don't speak the language. Canada is a bilingual country however Quebec does its own thing and refused to put up English signs. All you can do is make the best of it. FYI I am French Canadian and spoke French before English. I seldom speak French now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get Quebec doing their own thing and if that's their language, they don't need to cater to me. Overall, it was an interesting province but certainly not my favorite.

      Delete
  20. I like your pace of travel. Taking the time to meet people is the best part. We don't know if we will make it all the way to Maine with the boat. We are just going too slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is hard to go slow. Our main objective is to get to the coast, it is hard not to rush right out there!

      Delete
  21. Well, you guys are experiencing Canada in all its beauty ;-) Sorry you got so attacked by the critters. We do NOT have black flies down here in our part of Ontario and not many mosquitos. However, there are fish flies that fly out in swarms but do not sting and only live one day, and then there are spiders that eat them as they are caught in their nets and then there are birds that look for those spiders and poop all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a vicious cycle! I would put up with the birds if they are eating the spiders!

      Delete
  22. Just say Bonjour and keep moving. The French will be with you for a long haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried that, they took it as an invitation to stop and pet the dogs. Now we are in New Brunswick where it appears everyone knows English.

      Delete
  23. Nord is north and sud is south I think. Gaspe peninsula, stay tuned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've picked up a few words, like the directions, open, closed, road work.... we are learning!

      Delete