Thursday, December 22, 2022

How Cold is Too Cold?

Last week I told you two things, both were apparently lies. The first is that it was our last post before Christmas and here I am writing another one before Christmas. But as many of you know, sometimes you just have to write and today I just felt the need. The second lie was that it was we were going to have a night with a low of -13F. Well, that has now changed to -22F with a high the next day of -11F. But really who cares, once it is that cold does a few more degrees really make a difference?

Frostbite starts in about 5 minutes if your skin is left unprotected. Birds and other forest creatures require a lot more nourishment just to survive.  I did a little research on how cold like that affects birds and deer. Most of the articles said they should be fine if they are healthy, not too old and have plenty of food. If they get wet; all bets are off. The first thing to go are ears and tails. Then it went on to say that the reproductive organ of males are next. Brings a quite literal meaning to freezing your xxxx's off! 

As I write this now at 7:20am on 12/22, the thermometer reads -23F. We have had a fire going all night but despite this the temperature inside the house kept dropping from 68 when we went to bed to 60 when we woke up. It was then that we discovered that the in-floor heat system was not working with an error message saying to check gas and venting. I checked the vents and propane level: and both were good. I did a little research to find out that propane will not freeze until -44F but in extreme cold the pressure in the tank drops dramatically. I reset the system and it now seems to be working again. This unit is not only our only heat source (other than our fireplace), but also our hot water source. Fingers crossed it keeps going!

You really cannot do anything outside in those conditions, so we spent a lot of time inside reading and watching movies. It was during one of these times, I was upstairs reading a book in Barb's large comfy chair that I looked out the window and stopped..... and stared. The view out that window was incredible.

The temperatures over the past few days have been so cold that it has frosted over all the trees. A sight that we have taken for granted. But the view at that window was so incredible that I just had to go for a walk in the woods and field. Bundled up so only my eyes were showing I went for a walk. 
When it is this cold, it is dead quiet. The only noise you hear is the sound of your own footsteps. It reminded me of when I was 13 or so and I had my paper route. Walking the route day after day before sunrise in the snow with nothing but a sack full of papers and the sound of the crunch of the snow with each step. 
On this day I saw no wildlife other than a few magpies and crows flying out of a depression in the field. Even they were silent as they flew away as this bundled mass of man approached. 

I could only take my hands out of my pockets long enough to take two pictures at a time before they started to numb up. What was it that these magpies and crows were so interested in? 
As I got closer, suddenly, two bald eagles arose from the depression. The adult flew directed away from me, but the juvenile gave me enough time to get my phone out of my pocket and take a picture. 
Not the best picture, I wish I would have brought my Lumix. As I dropped into the depression, I saw what was of so much interest to these scavengers. A deer lay at the bottom. It looks like it had been there a day or two providing much needed nourishment to others in this frigid weather. Such goes the circle of life. 
Looking at the carnage I picture the coyote curled up beneath a dense cedar bush awaiting darkness so he could return to his feast. Or the bald eagle, feathers ruffled high in a pine tree, it too thinking about the meal that awaits once the sun crests the eastern horizon. Birds and wildlife require 30% or more food during these colder temperatures to maintain body heat. 

We put out a new bale for the deer which was a challenge in itself. My tractor would not start, the neighbor's tractor would not start so I had to improvise and drag the bale behind the jeep to bring it out where they are now hitting it pretty hard. 

We also put out extra bird food in the feeders and on the ground and they seem to be eating every bit of it up. The turkeys and juncos seem to focus on the food on the ground while the chickadees, nuthatches and woodpeckers focus on the seed and suet in the trees. And this, a first. A Flicker visited the feeder. We see them a lot in the summer, but this is the first one of the winter. 
The articles go on to say that you should not introduce new food sources until you are able to maintain them for the long term. Luckily, we have plenty of bales and hundreds of pounds of seed. The animals that are not as lucky are those living in the areas that just received 30+ inches of snow. They will have a hard time reaching any food sources. 

Instead of hiding from the cold, my friend Doug and I decided to embrace it by going ice fishing. There was about 18" of ice so we were able to punch through pretty easily. Although they were not jumping out of the holes, we did manage to bring home three for the fry pan. 


Meanwhile, Barb just hanging around anxiously waiting for Christmas.

Not to be outdone, Zoey wanted to get in on the action. Afterward she said it was not nearly as much fun has momma made it look. 

Dakota wanted nothing to do with testing out the new hoist in the workshop. Huh, go figure. 

Barb has also been playing her accordion. She is getting better and better. She used to not even let me the house when she played. Now she practices with me in the house, but I cannot watch her. Unbeknownst to her I recorded her with my phone So at the risk of catching hell and having all my Christmas presents returned, here is a sample. No video, just audio.
We also got out for a jeep ride. Most of the forest service roads are closed so we headed out to two of our favorite local spots. Deerfield Lake and Miner's Brewery!

Barb and I will spend the next couple days indoors watching more Christmas movies. My friend Ray sent this to me the other day, I thought it was hysterical and so appropriate for the end of this post. 
So, this is our last post before Christmas, I promise. Barb and I want to wish each and every one of you a Merry Christmas, hoping that you can spend it with your friends, family.

46 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! It looks so calm and peaceful. Barb is getting good at her accordion. Have a Merry Christmas and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are brrreautiful! 🥶 I remember as a kid living in Regina, Saskatchewan with temps of -40C/F and lower. Heard a rumor that if you stuck your tongue on metal it would stick. Our neighbours mom had to pour water on the door knob to release me from its grip. 🤪 Don’t miss the temps but I do miss ice fishing. Barb is so multi talented and sounds great! It’s suppose to be 70F in Q for Christmas so will be thinking of you guys. 😎🌵 Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 70 sounds pretty good right now. I can't imagine someone actually sticking their tongue on something like that. I'd scream like a little girl!

      Delete
  3. Don't even get me started on talking about the cold. It almost sounds like you are whining about it. I, on the other hand, embrace the cold as if it were a long lost friend. I enjoy it so much that I am getting ready to go outside for the second time today and move snow with my tractor because it does start in this weather. Keep in mind that it is so cold here you can only stand being out there for 20-30 minutes at a time. All you need now is a stripper pole next to that **x swing. Merry Christmas to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You embrace winter? The only thing you embrace more than whining is a cold case of Bud Light on a hot summer day. Or any day for that matter.

      Delete
  4. That’s c-c-c-cold! Love the outdoor pictures! Smart Dakota! Barb sounds great on the accordion too. I’ve always wanted to ice fish. But in a heated hut with booze! Never seemed to have the time in Upstate NY when we lived there.
    Merry Christmas 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told I rarely ice fish without a flask of something to keep my blood flowing. But my fishing partner does drink and it's just wrong to drink alone. Then again, if he's with me, I am technically not alone right?

      Delete
  5. I grew up in Eastern Montana and I remember winters like that. But the silence was amazing and something we don't get to experience very often. I do so love your amazing pictures. When I grew up I married a mam
    N who loved to ice fish. That is until he got older and came to his senses. 🤣🤣 Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently growing old and coming to your senses are not tied together as I am accomplishing one and not the other.

      Delete
  6. I can't even imagine temps that cold!! How does one breathe? It certainly is beautiful though. Glad you were able to get the heating working again, and the hay out for the deer. Hard to imagine them and the birds finding any place warm enough to survive the nights up there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Major props to Barb on “What Child is This”. Nothing like music to warm a home on a cold winter day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has mastered a number of Christmas songs. She only plays ones she knows as it it too difficult to know the pace if you don't know the song at all.

      Delete
  8. It’s Gay…I can’t even imagine temps that low. And how any wildlife survive is a miracle. Love the birds at the feeders and the deer at the hay bales and the close-up photos of the pine needles…all should be published somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing to see the deer a layer of snow on them. They must be well insulated if no body heat is escaping to melt the snow.

      Delete
  9. Magnificent looking frost coated trees and shrubs! My goodness you got cold temps so no need for us to whine about a cold front in Florida. That is a nice looking workshop you built and a great place to "hang out" in ;-) Wishing you a happy and healthy Christmas and looking forward to your next posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene! No hanging out the in workshop this week. I just installed a new heater a couple of days ago, but it cannot keep up in these cold temps!

      Delete
  10. Oh, my! There's cold and then there's COLD. Wow! Hope your floor is still heating as I write this. I can see why you needed to head out for a walk despite the temps. It sure is beautiful with all the frost and snow on everything. Thanks for risking your fingers for a few photos. Glad you are helping the wildlife survive. It amazes me that anything can fly at those low temps. Zoey does not look happy!! Too funny. Thanks for sharing Barb playing the accordion. She's really good!! We thought of her when watching CBS Sunday Morning. They did a whole segment on the accordion and building them. Here is the You Tube link if you didn't see it: https://www.cbsnews.com/video/welcome-to-the-world-capital-of-accordions/
    Merry Christmas to you, Barb, Dakota, and Zoey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had not seen that segment so will have to watch it. Thanks for including the link! Zoey was not happy, but she is a good sport, much to her displeasure!

      Delete
    2. We watched the segment, very interesting!

      Delete
  11. Wow....beautiful but wow. I enjoyed What Child is This. Merry Christmas !







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known that song pretty much all my life but until people started replying to this post, I have never known the name of it!

      Delete
  12. Blessings to you this Christmas. Hope the New Year is your best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My brother (just older than I am by 2 years) had a "Green Sheet" paper route, which means he delivered to every house, but only on Wednesday morning, leaving around 5:30, done by 7:00. Sometimes my sister would help him (I went once, that was enough). One morning they were up and just getting ready to walk out the door when mom came out and asked what they were doing. "Paper route" was the response." "It is only 1:30 am!" was mom's response. They both went back to bed baffled that neither knew what time it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've been there! I remember once getting up in a panic because I forgot to wake up and do the papers. I rushed out to the drop off point and my bundles were not there. Confused, I went to my first couple houses only to find that I already delivered them. Apparently, in my sleep!

      Delete
  14. Oh my, that sounds worse than living in a freezer! We are hearing on our News of severe storm conditions through central America, so we hope that you will all stay safe and warm. Wishing you both a happy Merry Christmas. Take care, Margaret xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having never lived in a freezer I guess I really wouldn't know but I am guessing life would be better out of the freezer. There is an arctic blast hitting pretty much the entire country right now, but the good news is that is looks like it will be only a few days.

      Delete
  15. Wow, good times, (not!) I grew up on Lake Ontario and we had snow, sometimes a lot of snow but never can I remember sub-zero temps, thank God. You guys are tough. Nice of you to feed hay, seed and suet to the critters. You always look like y'all are having fun, good on ya, as they say, and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barb plays GREAT!! At least she hit every note!! I'm sure she would bring extra food to you outside (like you do the critters) if you videoed it!! VERY nice of you to feed the deer. Makes you wonder how they can survive that cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried videoing her yesterday, it did not go well. Oh well, but it's cold out here!

      Delete
  17. I’m always amazed when a tree limb cracks in that very cold silent weather, always scared the hell out of me. You can hear it a long way. Very nice pics , thanks for risking exposure to take them. Very kind of you to worry about the wild life, life is a struggle for everyone.
    Merry Christmas to you, Barb, Zoey, Dakota and all of your family. Happy New Year as well. May the new year bring you health, happiness and peace.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. Barb is doing amazing at playing! Love the pic of her hanging and Zoey (that face) ! :) The pictures out the window are beautiful..I love when the snow is in the trees :) How sweet of you to take care of the wildlife out there. Enjoy your movies and time together! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Zoey looks just miserable doesn't she? Barb is missing fewer and fewer keys, it is fun to listen to her play.

      Delete
  19. Merry Christmas!! So much cold everywhere, even by the beach, got down in the low 20's here. Yes, Hallmark needs to come up with another plot line or two. Beautiful scenery to look at while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Merry Christmas to you all....The frosted tree photos are just beautifiul. especially from inside the house. I have a childhood memory of the thermometer reading -20 (it can't be right....but I have that memory) and "hearing" the absolute silence outside. Thanks for showing it to us and describing it to us and thankful that we don't have to experience it firsthand. Poor creatures that have to live outside, wonderful that you try and help them survive. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually beautiful from the outside as well. Now today (12/27) we are going to hit over 50! Talk about a rollercoaster!

      Delete
  21. oooooh you liar you...perhaps your brain is frozen!!! hehehehe

    the images of the snow are gorgeous, i am only a tad jealous!! i must say you have a wonderful, fun filled wife. i am sure i am not as fun as she is!! she has a great view out that window, i don't know if she should be sharing it!!

    i hope you had a really amazing christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a wonderful Christmas and I do have a crazy, wonderful and fun-filled wife. (I added that 'crazy' part)!

      Delete
  22. Today’s map makes it look like there in SW South Dakota you have achieved some sort of pact with the devil https://weather.com/maps/ustemperaturemap

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is truly beautiful to see--from inside where it is warm--lol! Love seeing that you feed the critters. Some of yours are much, much bigger than the few I feed--LOL! Happy New Year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those turkeys are a bit bigger than your partridge and the deer just slightly bigger than your rabbits and hares! Fun to see the wildlife no matter the size though!

      Delete