Saturday, December 17, 2022

'Twas the Week Before Christmas

And not a creature was stirring, not even an over-stimulated French Bulldog who has the zoomies several times a day. 

Well, it is not quite the week before Christmas, but this is our last post before Christmas, so it is close enough. This is a typical morning at the J-B with Barb on her computer reading blogs while the girls on their respective beds just hanging out. 

Cold and windy are the words for the week as we had our first major snowstorm. The bulk of the snow missed us, but the wind, cold and snow did not. 
The winds are 25-40mph the past few days and the 7-day forecast does not look too promising either. 
The snow did not miss everywhere however. Just an hour north of us, some areas received over 30"s of snow.  Here is a video that someone up there posted on Facebook that shows just how deep it got in some areas. 

Then we received this video from our niece up in Spearfish. That is her FBD Sophie bouncing through the snow. 

Speaking of Alana, Ryan and Sophie. We went up there last Sunday to watch the Vikings beat the Lions. Sophie is a huge Vikings fan while, as you know, Zoey is a fan of whoever is playing the Vikings. Both of the girls were dressed up and ready for the battle. 

Dakota made the trip as well. We brought a rug for her to lay on. She just hung out there all day and watched the festivities around her. 

Alana and Ryan have a cat (Ollie) as well which Zoey harassed the entire time we were there. Seriously, Zoey did not leave this Ollie alone. The entire day went something like this; Zoey was chasing Ollie, Sophie was chasing Zoey and Illie just kept swatting Zoey on her face.

Ollie sought refuge behind my head, but that did not stop the harassment. 

Then Ollie discovered Dakota's tail. Then it was Ollie harasses Dakota, Zoey harasses Ollie, Sophie harasses Zoey.

By the end of the day everyone had settled down and Ollie was actually grooming and licking Zoey while they both sat quietly on the couch. 

Sadly, the Lion's beat the Vikings and when Alana was not looking Barb dressed Sophie up in the Lions uniform. Alana was aghast and quickly ripped it off her poor humiliated dog. 

Barb and I spent two days making venison sausage and stick. First, we had to grind up the venison, adding 25% pork fat. 

Then we had to add the spices and run everything through the grinder one more time stuffing it into the casings. 

After curing in the fridge overnight it was time to smoke them. 2 hours for the sticks 5 hours for the salami. They both turned out delicious!



That night was bowling night for Kevin, Cheryl, Dan, Bonnie, Barb and me! The teams were boys against the girls

The person with the lowest score on the 5th frame had to buy shots for everyone. Then at the end of the game the losing team had to but the next round of beers. Needless to say a good time was had by all but the highlight of the night was Kevin's dance moves.....

As much fun as that was what I did the next day was even funner! I went to the Chiropractor for the very first time in my life. I had hurt my back back in October while up at the farm. No, I was not working when it happened, I was actually duck hunting and I know exactly when it happened. In the 6 or so weeks since then it has not gotten better, it has actually gotten progressively worse. So Barb talked me into going to the Chiropractor. When I described the pain to the doctor, he said that it was a pinched nerve at the L5. 20 minutes later I was walking out feeling like a new man! it is not 100% better but I would say it is 80% better.  

Look at that, an entire post and I did not talk about one house project! All our current projects are outside, and it is way too cold out there! 

45 comments:

  1. Glad the chiropractor worked for you! Nothing worse than a sore back. Zoey knows who the better team is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might actually be the last time we ever buy her a jersey, this time the curse actually worked!`

      Delete
  2. It has been a cool week here in Q too…0C/32F this morning. Your venison sausage and salami would go great at the Q Beer Tasting! 😉 Glad the bone cruncher fixed you up. Merry Christmas and all the best in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a time of two when we were down there that it was actually snowing. I am sure you remember it as well. Brrr!

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas!! Loved hearing about the never ending animal harassment, reminds me of why we never want 3 pets (2 cats / 1 dog) again! Fun times, but I like to sleep at night, and when those antics take the pets into the parents room at 2 AM the fun times are over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three of anything is just too much no matter the combination. We had three dogs at one time once and we swore; never again!

      Delete
  4. Well I hope to be getting a package of meat in the mail soon. I have been waiting by the mailbox every day for that case of beer and 14 singles but alas, my broken heart says it will never arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked my list, twice actually, to see if you really deserved a case of beer and 14 singles but apparently you have not been a good boy and only deserve broken hopes.

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas from both of us. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my Chiropractor. Eventually he showed me how to crack my back my myself. Bond crushers are good!!! Venison sausage ... yum!!! I bet your pups slept good that night!! I am familiar with the zoomies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing myself. Although he knew exactly what he was doing, I bet I could crack myself and do the same thing.
      Ryan had gotten out a laser and talk about zoomies. Holy cow, zoomies on steroids!

      Delete
  7. It’s Gay…love the puppy and kitty shenanigans! Merry Christmas…

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your great room looks so cozy!! Great pics of the critters' antics - so much fun energy. Gotta love a cat that sticks around to participate :-)) Those temps look way too cold for me. I've been whining about our 21 degree lows which of course I never feel because I'm sound asleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I have ever seen a cat play like that. At first Ollie kept his distance then played while on the defensive, then totally relaxed and joined the fray.

      Delete
  9. Your home looks so warm and comfy. Love the dog's antics! 😃 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The animals are certainly entertaining to watch that's for sure!

      Delete
  10. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!!
    I enjoyed the dog/cat descriptions, very cute.
    The smoked meats look good. Lots of work to making sausage!
    The temps ahead look very chilly, I can see why all outdoor work has stopped, it will still be there when the fresh green of spring shows up.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it would just warm up to 30 I'd be back out there but the 10 day doesn't even show anything in the 20's.

      Delete
  11. The venison sausage sounds delicious and looks good. You both are willing to tackle anything and you do well at it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never made the sticks before and they are delicious! We made the summer sausage last year for the first time and it is as good as we remembered it.

      Delete
  12. Love that first photo looking down at the great room. Definitely the place to be with wintery weather outside. It must have been tough to watch the football game with the animal game going on. Sounds like the they wore each other out. Love all the dog photos!!! Kevin sure has the moves. Your finished venison products look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between all the talking and animal distractions, we did not watch much of the game. It was more or less just on in the background. We love our house; we will just sit in there when it is all quiet and randomly say those exact words!

      Delete
  13. Glad you feel better. Funny pets. Everything looks great. Especially the salami!
    Merry Christmas 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to go back for another session as there is still a little something going on, but the majority of the pain is definitely gone.

      Delete
  14. Yes, the great room looks like a most excellent spot to hang-out. I got a chuckle out of both videos. What spices go well with the venison sausages? Nutmeg? Chili Powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure of all the spices in the mix, but it is very pepper and garlic forward so definitely those two.

      Delete
  15. That's come COLD weather you are going to have the next week (month) or two.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad your back is feeling better and you are having lots of Christmas Cheer to stay warm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll go back one more time at least to make sure everything is back to where it should be.

      Delete
  17. where to start...i am just really trying to learn the cast of characters which requires reading over this more than once!! i think i have it now!! i thought it was cold here but we are far from that cold and we have not received any snow, not yet!! it has been very windy here, and they have started to talk about a big storm for this coming thursday, fingers crossed!!

    it looks like you have a bit of meat for the winter, i am sure that feels good, especially if you get a lot of snow. i am assuming you do!!

    i think i heard our jersey boy jon in the bowling video??? he is wonderful to dance to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had the music rocking for us in the bowling alley. It had to be for us as we were the only ones there!

      We are not looking forward to next week. Now they are forecasting -25F one night!

      Delete
  18. I am impressed that the cat put up with all of that! Too funny. At least they wear themselves out with that stuff. Otherwise, I assume you'd have even more craziness on your hands when it's so cold outside and hard to burn off all their energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite impressive. She was play swatting Zoey like crazy and the two of them eventually settled down and were even lying next to each other.

      Delete
  19. Good to hear you found some relief from your back pain. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. First of all (after reading your blog profile) I hafta say I have South Dakota roots. My dad was born in Columbia (do you know where that is?)...and my grandfather immigrated (or should it be migrated?) from there on a covered wagon to Nebraska where I was born.

    Okay, that being out of the way, I enjoyed the antics of all the furry family!! And homemade sausages, what a treat!

    Nice meeting you. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up Columbia. I have probably passed through but with a population of 160 it is about as big as our nearest town.

      I sometimes imagine what it would have been like to migrate into this area during your grandfather's era. I am sure it was much harder than anything I could come up with.

      Delete
  21. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. My posts are really hit and miss anymore. My Jim swore by chiropractors for his back problems. Usually took three or four visits but it was wonderful. Hope you are staying warm. I'm from eastern Montana and grew up with that weather but I sure don't like it any more. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my Chiro visit might be one and done as my back feels so much better! I have hunted eastern Montana several times around the Sidney and Culbertson areas. Beautiful area.

      Delete
  22. Glad the chiro visit helped. The venison sausage looks good. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You truly have a wonderful life. Contessa

    ReplyDelete