Saturday, March 11, 2023

A Trip Down Memory Lane

 While scrolling through pictures for Barb's birthday post last week, I could not help but stop, look, wonder and reflect on some pictures I saw. Pictures of our parents, our siblings, pets and some scenery from 'back in the day'. So, I thought I would share some here. Some brought back specific memories, others, were well before we were even born. You may not find the subjects of the pictures as interesting as we do, but I thought you might get a kick out of some of the peripheral items in the photos. 

Like this one. This is a picture of 5 of my 6 siblings. I am guessing somewhere around 1965. Based on the poinsettia, I would have to say it is a Christmas picture. Starting on the left it is my sisters Beth, Becky, Carol, Judy and my brother Bob. 

I of course do not remember a thing about this picture, but what I do remember was that ashtray next to my sister Carol. What do I remember about it? I remember it because it met its demise when my sister Judy broke it over my head several years later. (I know, that explains a lot, right?)

This picture of is my brother Rod and me. Probably the same year, maybe the same day as the picture above. I am on the left and was probably 3? Check out those toys we got for Christmas!
This picture is a few years later, same house. As a matter of fact, I only lived in this one house in Roseville MN until I moved out on my own. What stands out in this picture, besides my sister Becky, is the radio right behind her and the orange cookie jar on top of the cabinet. We used to wake up to that radio every morning listening to Boone and Erickson. It is also the radio we would huddle around listening for school closures on snow days. The cookie jar on top of the cabinet? Mom used to keep it on the top shelf so Rod and I could not reach it. We used to sneak up there anyway and steal a cookie or two despite my mom's best efforts. Sadly, it too met a tragic demise when the lid was dropped during one of our cookie theft adventures. 
I am jumping all over here, but this one is of my dad, in the 1930's. I know nothing of the picture other than that it was my dad. 
 
My dad again, he is probably in his 50's in this picture. We used to spend hours downstairs playing pool. That ceiling was eventually pockmarked with blue chalk from us kids getting too careless and hitting the ceiling with our cues. 
I only have a few pictures of my mom, I am guessing they are in their 40's here. Maybe my sister Becky's wedding?
Patches, our first dog. She and I used to spend hours walking the fields in the neighborhood just exploring. I still have her collar which is hanging on my memory wall. 
My dad's place up in Shell Lake Wisconsin. That's me in the yellow stripped shirt. I used to spend hours on that sailboat and have not sailed since the early 80's. The cabin is long gone, having been destroyed in a flood, but my brother still has that canoe somewhere. 
The last two from my side of the family, here I was 18 having just graduated high school. After graduating, I set out on a hitchhiking trip from Minnesota to Washington and back. The next picture? That was a woman who picked me up, I think it was in Glacier. She was traveling with another woman. I am sure they have long since passed by now. Looking at it now, they probably thought it was a great adventure picking up a hitchhiker on their vacation. Something that neither of us would think of doing nowadays!
That's it for this week's trip down memory lane. Next time I will share some pictures from Barb's childhood and pre-childhood days. Hopefully she can add some context!

54 comments:

  1. You commented on one thing I really love about old family photos - all the things in the background! They can trigger so many memories.
    And I must say your father looks rather dapper in his suit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish I had that suit. I would wear it to the bar on burger night!

      Delete
  2. Some great pics, interesting memories. You were a handsome fella as a young man, although the lady doesn’t look too excited about the picture. Lol. Thanks for sharing.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of great memories from that hitchhiking trip. I would not recommend it nowadays but I'm glad I did it.

      Delete
  3. Great photos and memories! Family treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It interesting the thoughts and memories these pictures elicit when I looked at them.

      Delete
  4. These are so cool. It's interesting how those random objects - ashtrays and cookie jars - bring back the biggest memories. I also think it's interesting - and I've seen it pointed out by other people many times - how much older people looked back then. If I saw that picture of your parents, I would have guessed they were in their 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just telling a friend that exact same thing the other day. In my mind I cannot picture my parents younger than 60 but I have memories of them that when I really think about it, they had to be much younger.

      Delete
  5. Good trip "down the Lane", I can easily picture your hand in the cookie jar. I have a similar scrapbook that my sister put together for me when she took on all my Dad's massive hoard, something like 2 filing cabinets full. He worked for Kodak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We no longer have physical pictures. We scanned them the winter before we went on the road so they are now on our computers and storage drives. Makes it much easier to scroll through them.

      Delete
  6. Woohoo look at that plaid coat! A snappy dresser!! SEVEN kids ... your Mother was a Saint. Wish I had more family pictures, but they mostly disappeared after my Mom died. Might be fun to see what I can come up with. A GREAT trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a lot of pictures but the few I have do bring some memories back. I wish I had more of my mom and grandparents.

      Delete
  7. Man, you had that same devilish grin at 3 years old! And what was it with pool tables back then? We all had them. Funny note on your cabinets: That style…the vertical grain…is very Scandinavian. We never saw that in southern Michigan until much later. We called that a Euro look when we built them in the 1990’s. Minnesota must’ve had that style early on, due to the amount of Scandinavian folks there. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only you would notice the cabinets! Interesting perspective though. I always thought they were rather ugly.

      Delete
  8. How cool is this? What an awesome collection of pictures and memories. The photo of your dad on the horse is priceless as well as all your memories. Most all of the pictures from my childhood, my parents, etc were destroyed in a house fire many years ago. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad never talked too much about his childhood. Either that or I never asked. I know they were not very well off but he sure look spiffed up in that picture!

      Delete
  9. Great pictures! I see you had the coppertone appliances. Harvest gold and avocado green were also all the rage. So much fun to look back...and even just to remember when you had to bring the film in to be developed and the excitement (and disappointment) of seeing how the photos turned out--lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing you probably grew up listening to Boone and Erickson as well. That is back when snow days were actually snow days!

      Delete
    2. Those names sound familiar but WCCO radio for sure to listen to the weather for school closings or tornadoes. ;)

      Delete
    3. Yep, Boone and Erickson were the morning announcers on CCO.

      Delete
  10. Are you dying or something? I mean with all this reminiscing lately. When you get to the part where you start giving your things away, I wouldn't mind a gun or two dozen. I learned from your own admittance that you boys were very destructive. It's no wonder why your parents let you hitch hike across the country. Your mother was probably getting a new set of dishes and wanted to keep them for a while. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boredom of March. Sorry but I am as healthy as a horse so you'll have to wait for those guns!
      We were a handful, I really don't know how my mother did it.

      Delete
  11. You sure came from a large family! Looks like your parents were trying to start their own village. Time passes far too quickly…you have some great memory photos there. Kinda makes us want to open up some old albums when we get home.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, share some of them! I think a lot of your readers would find them interesting.

      Delete
  12. The things we did back then as kids. Never got a brother of sister mad enough to hit me over the head with an ashtray...but I did climb up on cabinets to get to the cookie jar too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we fought like cats and dogs back then but we all get along just fine now. But I still need to get my sister back for that ashtray incident!

      Delete
  13. Jim, thank you for sharing your memories! I love looking at photos of family back in the day. Lots of things brought back memories for me such as the ashtray, cookie jar, radio, and I saw on the counter a casserole dish my mother used to cook in! I too wish I knew more about my Dad and his family. He never talked about his childhood. Sad! Can't wait to see photos of Barb's days gone by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more pictures from back then, but I will enjoy the ones I have!

      Delete
  14. Always fun looking back at those old pics. I’m always “looking in the background “. Even now. Especially in movies or tv shows. I can’t believe you hitchhiked. Especially by yourself! That was so dangerous back then. At least in CA. I may have to go through some family pics and see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never felt in danger on that trip but I do have some interesting stories. One of them involves Moonies picking me up (white sheets and all) and trying to convert me!

      Delete
  15. Nicole Nelson TrevinoMarch 12, 2023 at 10:20 AM

    I have so many great memories of running around with Jessica at Grandpa Lon’s cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have a picture of you, Jessica and your sisters somewhere, I will have to look for it and send it to you!

      Delete
  16. Gooood morning, good morning! It's grand to be on hand! Good morning Eveleth, good morning Hastings.... !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That is the song that I woke up to every morning!

      Delete
  17. Love the old photos, Dave and I have our photos set as our screensaver, they circulate through and evoke so many memories. We've got all we'll ever get from Dave's side, but my folks have an extensive collection that one day will have to be gone through. I grew up without a TV so the radio was our source of news and entertainment, we used to old radio shows like The Shadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vaguely remember The Shadow and a few other radio shows. It's kinda sad that those days are dead and gone. It was so much simpler back then.

      Delete
  18. these are really wonderful pictures of you and your family. it sounds like you have not changed much, and you sound a lot like my husband. it's always nice to take a walk down memory lane, and remember things like a radio...an ashtray over someone's head, that red phone and i see a pyrex dish that is now an antique, and worth some big bucks!!

    and hitchhiking...you are lucky to be alive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to walk through that house now, see what it looks like and what memories it would bring up.

      Delete
  19. Every so often I too like to head down memory lane and look at old photos. Thanks for sharing yours and the one with Rod and you does look like you were a little rascal, does it not?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knew there was a reason I liked you. You are a sailor! You should come crew on my boat some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some good times on that catamaran. I've thought about getting one through the years, but that ship has sailed.

      Delete
  21. Wow.. these are incredible. I love looking at old pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hena, it would be interesting to see some from your youth.

      Delete
  22. How fun this was! I love the fact that you have your dog, Patches' collar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was probably 10 when we got Patches so that collar has to be 50+ years old.

      Delete
  23. Love seeing memory lane pictures! I envy your dad, in full cowboy regalia, riding the sweet pony. I had the outfit, but my "pony" was the couch arm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad never talked about his childhood so I don't know if that pony was his or one from a circus or something.

      Delete
  24. Love the pictures and the memories! You were a brave soul to hitchhike that far, but I bet it was an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It so interesting to look back at old photos and enjoy the memories small items spark like the ash tray and cookie jar. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great to see, love these old photos. Trips down memory lane are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So wonderful to have photos to spark these memories. Contessa

    ReplyDelete