Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Happy Birthday Barbie!

March, it has got to be my least favorite month of the year. Except for one day early in the month. But as a whole, by the time March rolls around we are tired of the cold and snow. There is no football, there is no hunting to speak of. Ice fishing is not as good as earlier in the season. It is generally too cold to work outside. So yes, March is my least favorite month of the year.

Except for that one day, when some 60 something years ago, changed my life forever. The day Barbie was born. Was it fate?  Was it predetermined destiny? Did the good Lord plan on us meeting 26 years later from that date and start this world-wind life the two of us have? Afterall, it would be years before I was born. Was my destiny already in motion before I was even born?  What would my life be like if not for this one day in March? This is the earliest picture I could find of her a few months after she was born. 

Over the years I have shared various pictures of her growing up. From her roller-skating era to her barrel racing days, but this series of pictures display her hair fashion sense and some gymnastic skills I never knew she even had!

Can you guess which one is her?
Update: One reader noticed a case of vodka in the closet to the right of the teacher!
Sometimes I sit and wonder, what have I ever done, to deserve even one, of the pleasures I've known. What did I ever do that was worth loving you or the kindness you've shown. While those famous lyrics from Kris Kristopherson's song Why Me were aptly asked to The Lord, I cannot help but ask those same questions of my wife of 37 years. In no world did I see myself deserving such a wonderful woman. 

A fresh blanket of snow welcomed Barb on her special day. As did a breakfast of banana waffles and bacon. She nervously sat on the couch awaiting what could be her worst breakfast of the year. Anyone who knows us knows that me cooking breakfast is a scary proposition.  But I did it! The waffles were a perfect golden brown and the bacon was thin and crispy. No floppy bacon in this household!

I could never give her the birthday she deserves; I can only hope she knows what she means to me and how without March 3rd, my life would be totally different. Sadly, the presents I got her did not arrive in time for her birthday but the dehydrator she ordered did arrive. I tried to pass it off as a birthday gift but apparently it does not count if the recipient orders it themselves. 

She did get several messages and phone calls from her children and friends. Two of which I wanted to share here. First there is this one from Jim and Brenda. Our former neighbors and partners in getting rid of thousands of prairie dogs, they know all too well that these little rodents are Barb's nemesis. 

Then there was this one from Dino. Be warned you cannot unsee this! That is me on the left and Dino on the right.

Cheryl gave her this picture of the cattle that we owned together very briefly. We may have a love/hate relationship with Highlanders, but we love this picture!

We spent supper alone where I out did myself again with a couple of ribeye steaks, onions rings and potatoes. She insisted on making her own potato as apparently, the potato can make or break the entire meal. All in all, it was not the day she deserves but it was a good one, nonetheless. 

Backing up several days...... after being gone for 6 weeks we were excited to get into our home and get back into the swing of things. We were excited, but not as excited as the dogs. Both of them were obviously over the top with joy to be home. 

The first thing that Dakota did was plop down on her favorite bed and just smiled and wagged her tail. After 6 weeks of sitting under the dinette in the camper, you could just see the joy in her eyes. 

Zoey went straight for the toy box. She went through the entire toy box, took each and every one of them out and scattered them across the living room. Once she made sure they were all present and accounted for she started zooming around jumping from couch to couch then off the couch to a bed, then the other bed where Dakota was laying then back onto the couch. She ran this circuit about 5 times before stopping and just staring at us. Ah, there is no place like home. Now that she is home she is freezing. She is either laying by the fireplace or any sunlight she can find on the floor. 

That night, we brought some of the essentials in from the camper and then just relaxed and enjoyed the evening which was finished off with a soak in the hot tub. Did I mention it was nice to be home?!?!?

A few of the essentials we bought on our journey.

The next day we finished emptying the camper, backed the truck into the garage and took off the camper. I could have sworn I even heard the truck sigh a sigh of relief when that weight was finally lifted off of it!

The neighborhood critters came by to say hello. They were very happy to have us home as well!

Our social lives have been busy as well with a burger night with Dan, Bonnie, Kevin and Cheryl. A couple days later we got together with Jim and Carmen. A night that got a little carried away resulting in me taking a sabbatical from me drinking alcohol for several days. Barb took this picture of me during the festivities over at Jim and Carmen's.

Instead, we concentrated our work in the garage getting the board and batten on the walls around the workshop. It turned out great if I do have to say so myself!

Barb sanded and stained the border boards for the top, bottom and around the doors. 

All done!

With this done I was finally able to get some keepsakes up on the wall. I call this my Memory Wall; it warms my heart every time I look at it. It has been years since this Russian Boar has adorned one of our walls. For some reason, Barb says we don't have room for it in the house, so it now has a home in the garage.  I still have a few more things to get up but, each and every one of the items on the wall bring back a special memory.

 I have plenty of work to do outside, soffit, facia, ceiling on the porch, steel corners and of course the stonework, but as of right now it is too cold, snowy or windy to motivate me to get out there. Instead, I find reasons to work inside and putz on stuff.  I did manage to get out to burn a pile while the snow was still deep enough.

So, with that, another birthday has come and gone. I wonder if all those years ago she had any idea what her destiny would be. I tend to think not, as sometimes late at night when she thinks I am asleep, I hear her uttering those same words; Why me Lord?, but probably for totally different reasons.

44 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Barb!

    Funny dogs react to being home. With ours (2 now gone), they know of two homes, where we live, and Sandy & Arny's backyard. Talked to sis a few hours ago and she said that Indy needs to get there to get the cats back in line. We should be there in 5-6 weeks from now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What really shocked me was when Dakota went to Dianne's door down in Quartzsite looking for a treat when she had been there in 3 years.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet blog and Happy Birthday Barb. I’m sure Barb wouldn’t trade a single second for the life you two share! I’m with Barb….the Russian Boar looks amazing on the garage wall! I love your description of the puppies returning home…I feel the same way and find myself running from room to room and even stepping in the shower just because I can! Do the turkeys ever loose a feather in your yard? I’m thinking the neighborhood critters and friends are glad you are home too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did the same thing, walking from room to room just making sure everything is in order
      The turkeys will occasionally lose a feather but not very many. I do save some when I get one hunting, they are truly interesting birds when you look at them up close.

      Delete
  3. Be it ever so humble there's no place like home. Even Dakota and Zoey know. I got a little teary eyed reading your blog. Blessings....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls love being home where they can be off leash, sleep on the bed and watch the bunnies and squirrels through the window!

      Delete
  4. oh wow!! what a delightfully sweet post for barb, i did not know you were so romantic but i am sure she deserves it!! i'm not a fan of march either, no football makes me very sad. BUT, knowing my chief went all the way makes me very happy!!

    i hope you don't believe barb when she says there is no place in the house for that boar hear....she "can't" be that kind!!

    and i agree, travel is awesome but there's not place like home. clearly, the truck and puppies agree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I could just surprise her and put that boar in our loft or even better, the bedroom!

      Delete
  5. Happy, happy birthday to Barb! March is a good transitional month (my birthday month, too). You never know what you are going to get--lol!
    I would pass on the boar's head in the house, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good way to put it, a transitional month. I just hope it transitions to warm weather soon so we can get outside and work comfortably!

      Delete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday Barb. Fate does give us interesting challenges! The birthday cards were awesome.
    The workshop looks great, I agree with Barb, the boars head is lacking something to fit into the house decor. It should maybe be packed away a little longer until you build a deer blind or something of that nature. I think it would fit wonderfully well in something like that.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you are basically saying that I should just go out in the forest and hang it on a tree? Blasphemy!

      Delete
  7. I totally agree ... you are a lucky guy ... but then I think Barb's pretty lucky too. Happy Birthday Barb! It IS nice to be home ... sleep in a real bed, not be tripping over critters in a small space. Coming home makes every trip worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tripped over critters, each other, dog toys, shoes, water dishes. Now we just trip over toys!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Barb! Those were some great cards. So Jim can cook…who knew. After watching Zoey running after Buddy in Q I can just picture her tearing around the house. Glad we got to spend some time with you guys this winter as you’ve been missed. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about the same as her chasing Buddy not a lot more leaping involved. Hope your fall of '24 adventure works out so we can see you again!

      Delete
  9. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Barb! What a beautiful post and tribute you gave your lovely wife! Love the way the workshop turned out! The cards were adorable, Love the prairie dogs singing LOL. Nice to be home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prairie dog video was so fitting considering what we went through a few years ago!

      Delete
  11. Oh you sappy guy! How sweet. Happy Birthday Barb!! I think next get together you and Dino should have a Dance Off!
    Just make sure I get plenty of that Peach Moonshine first so my vision is blurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me a sap? I am just trying to keep up with your Steve!
      You must already be drunk if you want to see a dance off between Dino and I?

      Delete
  12. Happy birthday Barb!!! Gotta love the Kristofferson lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should research the back story for that song, it is very interesting.

      Delete
  13. Great post! Belated birthday wishes for many more, Barb!

    Spring can’t be too far away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teens today but that is unseasonably cold. We should see 40's, maybe 50's next week!

      Delete
  14. You brought back some lovely memories for me, Jim. My hubby used to make breakfast for me on my birthday and I always loved it (the fact he made it more than what he gave me LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I was able to bring a smile to your heart, life should be filled with such moments.

      Delete
  15. I have been struggling all day on how to comment on this blog. At first I wanted to jump in the truck, drive down there and yank your "MAN" card for all of this gushing and not being able to hold your liquor. Then it hit me, You must have bought a new rifle or want to buy one and you are laying it on thick to butter Barb up. I said to myself "You genius S.O.B.". Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never, never try to manipulate my lovely wife like that. It is merely a coincidence that the new line of Bowtech hunting bows come out next month!

      Delete
  16. Happy Belated Birthday, Barb!! Jim is really working the sucking up heavily this year. I guess he's trying to build up future points knowing there will be plenty of screw-ups soon. Glad you made it home safely. So sorry you weren't able to make a stop by Boulder City. Maybe one day! I would have loved to see the happy dogs when they arrived home. I totally understand that feeling. The workshop is beautiful!!! Another great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My screw up far outnumber any suck up points so I am way in the deficit there! I will try and get a video of Zoey's antics knowing that at least you will enjoy them.

      Delete
  17. Man, everyone has said it all already, but glad your home and enjoying it, glad the dogs are happy, glad Barb made it another year, and glad Dino got the low-down for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Dino has been around the block a time or two and is a wise man. You'd do well listening to any advice he might have.

      Delete
  18. Happy belated birthday to Barb. There is nothing like coming home from a trip no matter how good it was. Those photos of Barb show you just how cute she has always been, but you knew that right? I hope the other things you have to go onto the walls in your workshop are not as scary as the boar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did know that. The other things I have for my memory wall are not as ugly as the boar. But the ugliness of that boar is really it's beauty, isn't it?

      Delete
  19. Happy Belated Birthday Barb!! While Dave won't gush like you, he's said similar things. Enjoy being home!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday Barb! Just a big ol squishy marshmallow that Jim. Very nice words buddy 👍
    Enjoy being home, looks like you brought home enough preservatives for your liver plus a few friends. Enjoy. Cheers
    Dave & Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not realize we brought that much home. We now on a buying freeze until the majority of that is gone. Should only take a week or two!

      Delete
  21. Happy Belated Birthday, Barb!!! I like to think this wish is not so much late as extending your birthday celebration a little longer...🎈🧨🎉🎁🌼🍹😎 What a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Belated Birthday to Barb. Sorry I missed this post on time. This was exactly when I got sick in Mexico. Jim you are a very loving husband and Barb is darn lucky that you and she are together. contessa

    ReplyDelete