Saturday, May 13, 2023

Racing the Rain

After 5 days of fast and furious planting, things came to a halt. Rain. While rain is a good thing, it could have waited a few more days. I think we had two down days, not being able to get out in the field. And by down days, I mean working on other things. 

Bob S (I decided to go with Bob S when talking about Chris's dad Bob. I could have gone with Tall Bob or Skinny Bob but that would imply that Farmer Bob was neither of those things and that I would just mean, and I would never, never imply anything like that) and I worked a couple days taking down some old fence lines. Probably a mile of fence in total. It was a combination of barbed and mesh wire. Neither are as easy to work with as high tensile which rolls right up. Barbed wire catches on everything, including your pants. I went through two pair of pants on this adventure. Granted they were my oldest most worn pants to begin with so not much lost there. 

We start by taking the Bobcat with forks along the fence, put the forks on either side of a T post and lifting up on the wire. With luck, the T post and all the wire/mesh come up with it. With bad luck, the wire breaks and nothing comes up. We had more good luck than bad, and in probably 4 hours we had all the posts and wires laying on the ground. 

Next up is taking all the posts off the wires and putting them into the truck. Another couple of hours. Once that is done you have to roll up the wire. This is somewhat painful...literally. The barbs catch on everything. Luckily, they have a wire roller hooked up to their tractor which makes things much easier. For the mesh, it is down on your hands and knees rolling it up into rolls 3-4' across, cutting it and doing it again, and again, and again. I probably crawled 1/2 mile on my knees before it was all done. 

Skinny Bob, I mean Tall Bob, wait... I mean Bob S operating the wire roller.
Although it was not raining during this project, it was too wet to get into the field. We spent another couple of hours cutting the ends of a tree line so equipment could get past us and another couple hours picking up sticks and branches on other tree lines so they do not get caught up in the machinery.

I got this shot of Farmer Bob while he was breaking up some new ground after we took up some fence. 

While we were driving back and forth from the fields, I took the passenger seat while Bob S drove. I am pretty sure he was getting annoyed with my "Stop!" or "Drive slow by this slough" as I took pictures of the waterfowl inhabiting them. My goal is to try and get some decent shots of each of the different waterfowl species that inhabit the area. This week I got a canvasback, redhead and a pintail. I still have the gadwall, green-wing teal and a few others to go. 
Three drake (bull) 'can's' and a pair of 'reds' in the background.
A pair of 'pins'

If I am really lucky, I get some good shots of them flying. I use a common method for perfecting my shots of flying birds. It is called the Point and Pray method. Take enough pictures and maybe one or two will turn out. These were the best I got this week. 

Pintails
A pair of shovelers and with a blue-wing teal bring up the rear

And of course, I cannot help myself from photographing pheasants that present themselves!

For the shorebird enthusiasts, I was hoping one of you could identify this bird. I know there are a few of you out there on the east coast who might know what this is. 

We also worked on Holly's chicken coop. Well, chicken palace is more like it. I have never seen a coop this nice! We put in doors, did some electrical work, installed wire mesh and finally it was moving day. Calvin helped Bob S and I move the chickens over to their new home. 



Wednesday, it FINALLY dried up and Chris was able to get back out into the field. But the weather forecast only gave him about a 36-hour window before the rains started again. So, he jumped in the tractor and started seeding..... for 33 hours straight. No sleep, no breaks, meals delivered and eaten on the run. While that was going on, Farmer Bob was rock picking, Dylan was treating seed, Bob S. was rolling the planted pea fields and I was hauling seed and fertilizer to Chris when he needed it up until 11pm that night when Dylan took over and delivered throughout the night. By the time the rain started again, he had 830 more acres planted. 

Chris, during one of his pitstops

Then the rains came again. Enough to keep us out of the field for a couple more days. I know they want and need the rain, but I have a limited time here and want to help them as much as possible before we head off to our next adventure. As it looks, it will be close as to whether or not they will be done before we have to leave at the end of the month. 

Barb continues to send me pictures of the fun they are having back home. This week was mostly fishing.   They got out a couple of times on several different lakes and streams. Needless to say, they were making me quite jealous!

So here we sit, waiting for the rain to stop. Today is Saturday, I have been here just short of 2 weeks with two weeks to the day remaining. We have roughly 2,400 acres planted which would bring us to about 40ish% done. With luck, the rain will stop soon, and we will get back into the field on Monday. In the meantime, seed customers continue to come and go during the rain, and we will keep busy putting the final touches on the chicken palace, organizing other things and trying to keep Farmer off the bottle!

53 comments:

  1. Wow ... chicken CASTLE!!! Count yourself lucky you have a wire roller. When we switched from cattle to rice, all the fences had to come out. I used the hydraulic lift on a small tractor to lift out mostly wooden posts. Then I rolled probably 10 miles of barbed wire. I agree, worst job in the world. We rolled it on the ground in an upright position. Can't tell you how many shirts I tore up. The last picture sums up being a FARMER!! You need a drink after a day working on a big ranch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, Farmer does not really drink. He will have maybe one a week while I am here. Besides that, you could probably count the number of drinks he has in a year on one hand.

      Delete
  2. Rain can be both a curse and a blessing for farmers! Are these people family/friends? Here's hoping the rain holds off and the planting is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All friends. Bob S and I went to high school together, his son married Farmer's daughter. We started by just hunting up here and it morphed into me helping in the fall for a few weeks, then into the spring as well.

      Delete
  3. Busy days working around all that rain. Great shots of those birds. My National Geographic Birds of North America book identifies that one bird as a Sandpiper. Those are some nice sized fish Barb and family are catching. I’m going fishing with Ray at Lake Cowichan next weekend. 🎣 Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandpiper, it is then. Thanks for checking it out. Good luck fishing next weekend, if you don't catch anything at least I know Deb will feed you well!

      Delete
  4. There is never a day off during planting or harvest season. Always something to do. Although I love to run equipment I'll take Barbs job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard work, but I would not trade with Barb. She works a heck of a lot harder than I do! Although, I could do with a little fishing right about now.

      Delete
  5. point and pray! I love it.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Make hay while the sun shines! So true that saying. Mother Nature loves to worry folks and make us dance to her music. She's very good at it!
    Fencing, mending, putting up, taking down, storing, is never easy. The barbs are sharp and of course do not just rip the cloth! Bandages, blood trails and sore spots are fun, aren't they? LOL Of course here that blood draws the black flies! Twice the fun!
    It's nice to see that the family is having a great time! Not being a fisherman myself, I can't really relate but the smiles say a lot!
    Continued safe working there at the farm.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smiles do say it all. It's good to see them having fun. There was blood but no bandages. Thankfully we don't have blackflies here to attack my wounds!

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's a lot of planting and working. Good thing you come up and help. Looks like Barb is having fun with your son and family catching those fish. You have lots to catch up on to beat her this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not think of that, she is getting a head start on me! We are headed up to Ontario in a couple of weeks, hopefully I can catch and surpass her fish count then!

      Delete
  8. A lot of work while you were able. Rolling up barbed wire sounds like a horrible job. I can see why you'd envy fishing--lol! Glad that is all done! I sure hope he gets everything planted soon. You all have been so busy! Love the chicken castle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fence work is not done, we have a few others on the list to take down if time permits.

      Delete
  9. Nice pics of the birds in the slough, the pheasants are quite showy. I think your mystery bird is a sandpiper or a relation of theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the identification! There are several different varieties of shorebirds around here. Perhaps I will try to get a few others!

      Delete
  10. I love your stories of being on the farm! Lots of hard work, but you seem to enjoy being there! The chicken house is amazing! Love the pictures of Forrest, Lily and Barb! They are having a good time! The last picture is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have champaign Sunday's, Bob has peach schnapps Thursday's!

      Delete
  11. Busy times! I love the waterfowl and fish pictures! The rivers are just beginning to run fast and muddy SJ no stream fishing for awhile. We’ll have to check out some lakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those first pictures were from the same stream we took you guys to!

      Delete
  12. Dang it, that last one was from me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have pulled a few 24+ hour work days, but never a 33 hour work day. I did, back in 1976, drive (automobile) from Kansas City area to Sacramento, alone, in 33 hours but even then I had a three hour rest stop in Nevada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to think of it, I don't know if I have either. I have driven 20+ hours straight but Barb was with me and we took turns but even that was grueling.

      Delete
  14. Great shots of the birds. Your method is mine when it comes to photographing birds. Take lots of photos with the hope of having one good one. Nice fish they’re catching at home. Hope it stops raining soon there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be an effective method, and once in a while I learn something along the way!

      Delete
  15. In my professional opinion I think that bird is a Snipe. Very tasty cooked in an olive oil and garlic sauce. I am glad that your family at home fishing know that taking pictures of your fish with your arms extended makes the fish look bigger. I worked 33 hours once. Of course that was in 33 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went on enough snipe hunts as a child and that is definitely not a snipe. And besides, olive oil is much too healthy, butter is the only way to go!

      Delete
  16. i laughed so hard as i read your words on how to take down a barbed wire fence, i'm not sure i even know what that is?!?! no, i do, but geez sorry you had to say goodbye to 2 pair of pants i probably could have brought back to life!!

    these are fun reads for me...such hard work but you seem to enjoy it!!

    i REALLY enjoyed the ducks and such, clicked on every picture and enlarged them, they were really wonderful!! barb looks like she's doing well back at home...no enlarging was necessary on that last picture, nope, not necessary at all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One pair might have been salvageable, the other, now way. I gather up all my oldest clothes when I come up here, between the grease, barbed wire and other things clothes don't last long up here!
      Glad I can keep you entertained with my life of misery.

      Delete
  17. You managed some great photos with your Point and Pray method of photography :)
    I hope the Weather Gods will start to behave soon and those crops get sown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The weather looks good for the next 5-6 days. We just need it to dry up a bit so we can get back into the field!

      Delete
  18. Wow! That is a lot of work, especially rolling up the fence! I use the point and pray method myself, whereas I take about 10 pictures and hope one of them comes out good! Congratulations on all the fish caught!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 in 10 is a lot better ratio than I am getting, especially on those flying birds. I am probably 1 in 20 or so, but that 1 that turns out is totally worth it!

      Delete
  19. I remember how hard my grandfather and uncles worked on the farm. Luckily things have improved with the equipment, but the hours are still brutal.
    Looks like Barb and the kids are working hard.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not imagine farming like your grandfather did. I see the equipment and machinery that they used and just shake my head wondering how they did it back then.

      Delete
  20. Glad you finally got a little break so some planting could be accomplished. Doing fence has to be worst part of any ranching or farming. Ugh! I haven't seen a pheasant since we left the east coast. They are so pretty. Good to see the family enjoying themselves in SD, but...remind Barb I read the blog for the furry creatures. She's slacking in that area! Fish aren't furry!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get kudos from Harry and scolded by you for not including fur baby pictures. I am so confused! But then again, you can never trust a dog-hater so I will talk to Barb about sending me some pictures this week.

      Delete
  21. I have never done any fencing but I don't think that it would be something my body would allow me to do. Rain, we have had a lot here in TN with that mess. Thursday, and Friday was an all day thing. Friday we had about five or six good down pours. Sat. was a nice break from that, cause I was thinking if it didn't stop soon I was going to wash off the top of my hill I sat on. This morning, pouring again, but luck was it only happened once so I was glad of that. Farming also must he hard when the farmer has to work between rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good rainstorm, especially with thunder. But not when there is work to be done! It wouldn't be so bad if we could get right back into the field after the rain stops but we have to wait for it to dry up enough to get the equipment in the field. Sometimes it is just a matter of a couple of hours, other times, it is a couple of days.

      Delete
  22. Hello :=)
    You really had a tough time getting the fence down. Hours of hard work, gruelling conditions, but satisfaction in getting it done I dare say, and very nice photos throughout your post of work and play.The chicken palace looks great, and I enjoyed seeing the water birds and fishing photos.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find it interesting to see wildlife from other parts of the country/world which is why I enjoy reading your blog as well. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  23. Thanks for stopping at my blog!
    My hubby is also a Bob and I grew up on a farm, so I felt right at home here. :)
    Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Point and Pray....is there any other way to take pictures? That's the only method I use! Sounds like all is well in your life...may the blessings continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some good ones this last session! Can't wait to look at them and posted.

      Delete
  25. No matter the weather there's always plenty to do on a farm!! Glad to see the family isn't sitting around at home just waiting for you to get back :-))) Those are some nice fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be having a great time despite my absence. How dare they!

      Delete
  26. I’m hoping by now the weather is cooperating and planting has resumed. I can not imagine a 33 hour work day…that’s like a whole week in one day! Love the birds…thank you for sharing…and happy to read your family at home is making do without you there! Also, wanted to mention…I found a couple of your comments from Cave Creek under settings in the comments bar, but they never posted on the blog and I don’t know why. Thank you so much for your comment about Dover…made me teary eyed! One comment did post on the blog…strange?!? Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to comment…I know you are way busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is 80 and sunny so we are going like crazy. No worries on the comments, sometimes I find some in my spam folder for no reason.

      Delete