Sunday, May 7, 2023

Springtime at the Farm

 I challenge you to find a harder working profession than the family farmer. Farming has got to be one of the most grueling professions across the world. The earliest farmers broke the ground with a pick and a hoe. Moving on to a single bottom plow drawn by a horse or oxen. Today’s farmers have it much easier, but the work is still grueling, long and tiring. Spring and fall are “go time” on the family farm. Here on the Finken Farm, they have been waiting weeks for the snow to melt, the ground to thaw and the temperatures get high enough not to kill anything they plant in the ground.

This year, that day finally came. A few weeks later than a typical year, but the day finally came. I left home just after 8am on Monday, May 1st. Destination, Douglas North Dakota. Nine hours later, I pulled into the driveway where I was greeted by Farmer Bob, his son Dylan, son-in-law Chris and my high school friend (Chris’s dad); Bob #2.

Greetings done, we went straight to work. It was only a couple of days ago, but I have no idea what I did that evening. I do remember it was after 11:00 when I went to bed. The next three days were the same, up and out of the camper around 7am, working all day, turning off the lights after midnight. My body is sore, achy and tired. I've stolen a few minutes here and there to work on the blog but have not had time to read what everyone else is up to. 

My main job here is to load the semi-trucks with seed and fertilizer, deliver said semi-truck to the field, and help Chris fill the seeder.

Chris spends most of his time in the seeder. Two days this week he went in the field at 7am and did not get home until after 2am. Go time! Dylan is treating and loading seed for their seed customers, Farmer Bob does a little bit of everything; these last few days were spent fixing things and making sure everything runs smoothly. Chris’s dad, Bob (see how it can get confusing?) has been cleaning carts and semi-trucks between loads and has been a big help cleaning and organizing things in the yard.

That last paragraph is such an understatement that I want to delete it. Everyone does so much more, but if I was to summarize it into a few words that would be it. But then again, I am writing this at 5:30am in the morning after getting less than 6 hours of sleep, so I am sure my brain is only working at about 50%.

Since I have written so many blogs about my activities up here, I will not go into detail, but here are a few pictures I took while doing my thing. Like these pictures of me loading urea from a bin into a semi. 

Then I take the semi out to the field where Chris is seeding and we load the seeder tanks with urea, seed and fertilizer.

Loading a cart. That beast will hold 1300 bushel or roughly 80,000 pounds.

One of the dirtiest jobs is getting the last of the grain out of a bin when it is almost empty. You have to install the drag auger (pictured) and sweep/shovel until it is clean. Dust mask is a must!
5 days in, Chris has about 1,500 acres of seed in the ground; averaging 300 acres a day. The best day was 450 acres. In an ideal spring they would plant all the same crop before moving onto the next. It saves time cleaning, calibrated and a few other things. This year, we are doing whatever fields are ready trying to get things in the ground as fast as possible. This means wheat one day, canola the next, then peas, then back to canola….. you get the picture. As soon as one field is ready it gets planted as soon as possible.

One thing I love about coming up here is all the life that arrives with spring. All the birds that migrated south for the winter have returned and are in their full breeding plumage. I took a drive early one morning and captured a few of the waterfowl that frequent the area. 

Like the blue-wing teal, the crescent moon brightly featured on the drakes head.


The Northern Shoveler, not my favorite bird but pretty in the spring. 
One of my favorites, the Scaup. Or as we call them up here; Bills. These are some of the best pictures I have gotten of them flying. They run on the water before lifting off, that is what you see in the first picture below, the splashes where they were running. 




Bufflehead or butterballs. These speedy little birds are often the frustration of many duck hunters. 


Although they do not migrate, it is always fun to see pheasants. To me, they have to be the prettiest upland gamebird. I did not even see the hen in the picture below until I was putting it into the blog. They blend in so well!

So, what is new here? There is always something new after I have been gone for several months. This year, it is the treatment set up they put on the east end of the yard. (10) 4,000 bushel grain bins, a treatment building and a new treater. The install was fraught with issues but it is finally up and working (scratch that, still more problems) with seed orders going out all day long. Luckily, they have a portable one as back up, so the orders are still going out.

 

This is a picture of the portable treater set up. The grain goes from the bin to a cart where it is weighed, then into the treater and eventually into the truck. 

As a follow up to last week’s post on the cattle branding, I had several people ask me why ranchers still brand their cattle. While I am nowhere near an expert on the matter, I will tell what I do know.

South Dakota, and most western states require ranchers to brand their cattle. But why? First, ranchers need to be able to identify individual animals for vaccination reasons, knowing which cow is getting old or not producing and a variety of other reasons. But it all started years ago to help identify who owns what cattle when cattle herds were all mixed together on a large range. And to prevent rustling. Believe it or not, the same reasons still apply today. Just on the cattle we branded the other day, there were two ownership structures in the group mixed together. They referred to a list to determine which calf received what brand.

Would you believe rustling is still a real thing? Well, it is. An average single head of cattle can be worth anywhere from $1,500-$2,000 with some being much more. Think about that the next time you drive by a herd of 1,000 head. And before you think that all cattle ranchers are super rich, many of those ranchers have a loan on those cattle to be paid each fall. Some are rich, most are just trying to make a living.

But there has to be a better way other than branding the calves, right? Ear tags are a quick way to visually identify cattle, but they can fall out, be removed and changed and are not permanent. What about tattoos and chipping them? These are wild animals. To tattoo them, you would have to sedate each one, take the time to tattoo it and good luck ever catching that cow again and inspecting the tattoo. The same goes with chips. Chipping them would be easy enough but it is expensive when you are dealing with hundreds or thousands of head. Think about how expensive beef would be when that cost was passed along to the consumer. Then there is the whole reading the chip. They don’t just let you walk up to them and read the chip. Someday there may be a new method, but for now, branding is still the industry standard.

Meanwhile back in South Dakota; Here are two picture I took with the drone right before I left.

Looking back up towards the house from the windmill

Forrest's rig outside our house

Barb, Forrest, Somer and Lily continue to have fun. Going on hikes, more disc golf, riding their scooters in the Custer State Park.

They get all the fun while I am up here grueling away. How long will I be here? So far, we are 25% done. If all goes well, we could be done in 20-25 days. But things never go well, we have 5 days of rain forecasted, so we have no idea how long the planting season will be. As hard as it is, I enjoy the work, the lifestyle and being able to play farmer if only for a few weeks!

42 comments:

  1. I love that you love doing that. Part time farmer. That would be nice! It would be great if you could shoot chips in like they do drugs in say, Elk, and have special readers that could pick up that ID from long range. We had a very small but productive ranch. SOooo much work! Love the duck pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a half a dozen head at our ranchette in Wisconsin. We could identify each of them individually, so we got away without brands or ear tags. But with large herds, with cattle that all look the same, I do not see another way with today's technology.

      Delete
  2. Farming is too much work! My backyard veggie garden is too much work somedays. Sure do enjoy the education of what it takes to create productive farm.
    When did you find time to enjoy the ducks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you promise not to tell anyone, I will tell you how I got the time to photograph the ducks. They sent me to town to pick up some fertilizer and on the way back to the farm I took a side road and a few minutes to take those pictures.

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you made it safely to your other happy place. The amount of investment, time, and weather dependence involved in farming is mind boggling! Great pics of the birds. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dollars that go through these farms is baffling to me. $10,000 passes through like some of us spends $100 with hundreds of thousands of dollars going into planting the crops in the hopes of good weather (sun, rain, no hail/tornadoes) and good prices at the end of the season.

      Delete
  4. Many times we travel through farming country where the non-farmed space is clearly heavy with large rocks and other challenges - it's amazing to picture the amount of work needed just to put the first crop in the ground! I wish pheasant weren't so pretty because they're the tastiest game to me :-) Looks like the fam is having a great time exploring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot think of the movie, but it was a Clint Eastwood movie that starts with him plowing a field with a one bottom plow. Think about the work that went into that. Or clearing a wooded area to create a farm field. A difficult task with today's equipment, back them it was all done by hand!

      Delete
  5. From RVing to House Building to Ranching to Farming, you are keeping yourself busy. Nice to be that way but I'm starting to learn it can be too much sometimes. Barb has the right idea, hanging out with Family.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you, there are times I think that it sure would be nice to be somewhere just relaxing or reading a book but I really love keeping busy. I am sure there will be someday when my body says "Enough" but until then I will keep plugging away!

      Delete
  6. That is a massive farm operation. The work is endless and tiring but with today's technology it's a lot less of one kind of stress and much more of another. We can see you took some time to visit the ducks! There was no mention of repairs, or maybe I missed them. LOL.
    The crew back home in SD look like they are having a very good time. Thanks for sharing the drone photos. Very nice spot you have there. Stay safe on the farm!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the Bobcat stuck yesterday but did not take any pictures. There is always something breaking or someone getting stuck. There are times to talk about them and times not to. This week was a stressful one with lots going wrong, the timing was just not right for some fun-loving ribbing. Hopefully everything will be going smoothly this week and we can laugh at some of the things that happen around here.

      Delete
  7. Agree that Family Farms are the most grueling...followed closely by the Family Restaurant Business, especially one that is open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, being an owner of such a restaurant would be just as bad, if not worse. If you are a crop farmer, you can at least take a few days off during the middle of the of the summer or the winter.

      Delete
  8. What huge farms! When I was a child we had several farmers in the family (Minnesota and Upper Michigan) that had small farms that kept them super busy, too. Increasingly larger farms put them out of business, but with the population growing and growing we needed larger farms to keep up with feeding everybody. The bigger the farms the more the risk. It's a hard life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad for the smaller family farms struggling to survive. You are right, we need the bigger farms to produce what is needed to supply the world. Larger family farms are good, what scares me are the corporate farms who are even starting to put out all sizes of farms.

      Delete
  9. For sure it is a hard life but thankfully some people live for it so the rest of us can eat. :) Just think how many beers you have worn off and can replenish. lol Stay safe. Deb K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you are right! I have not had a beer since I have been here! I think I should keep track of how many beers I can replenish over the summer.

      Delete
  10. Farming is a tough job and requires dedication and hard work. I can’t imagine how a family manages to get everything done every season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, not only do they need to deal with the logistics of planting and harvesting, but they also have to deal with the weather which is totally out of their control and can throw a wrench into the best laid plans.

      Delete
  11. You are so right - farming can be a grueling tiring business. My parents used to start milking at 4.30am and finish the evening milk around 7pm. Hubby and I used to work sometimes as contractors doing maize silage - being seasonal work, it was all hands on deck and long long hours until all the crop was in. Love your photo of the scaup taking off :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thought about dairy farmers after I wrote this post. They have even more grueling tasks dealing with the cattle AND planting and harvesting crops. As you know, they rarely get away from the farm for vacations, family events or other things we often take for granted.

      Delete
  12. Hairstylists work hard for a living. That's why I don't do it anymore. Mechanics work hard for a living. That's why I don't do that anymore. In fact if you put work in front of anything and I'm out. That's why I don't visit you. Too much work. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God forbid you get get a cramp in your scissor hand or nick someone with a razor. Honestly, that is one job I could never do

      Delete
  13. Yeah .. people don't think about where their food or products come from, or how much work is involved. Then you go to all the expense and trouble of planting everything, only to have Mother Nature throw a wrench into the process and you lose the entire field. Needless to day it's HARD work with endless long hours.

    As to branding ... cattle thieves are still around, just as much as in the old days. We've caught them loading an entire field of cattle into a trailer. They take them to an auction to be sold and pocket the cash. The only way they are caught is every auction must have a brand inspector looking at every single cow, checking the brands owners, to be sure they are NOT stolen. Every single cattle ranch has their own distinct brand, so it's a big job. And cattle still get stolen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy to think that cattle still get stolen in this day and age but it happens all the time.

      Delete
  14. Love the pictures of the farm! That is one huge operation! Oh that windmill of yours, love it! Great pictures of the family out having fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People would be amazed at what goes into planning and planting a crop. There is math, chemistry, physics, knowledge and a whole lot of luck!

      Delete
  15. I agree with you. My husband’s father’s family are ND farmers and I know how very hard they work, a lot of it relying on the elements. Love your photos and another very enjoyable post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got 5 good days of planting in, now we are on day 2 of a rain delay and it is pouring out right now so we may not get in the field tomorrow. Rain is good, but it could have waited until we were done planting!

      Delete
  16. One of my favorite sites to see when traveling are huge green fields. I know it’s hard work and a huge thank you to Framer Bob, his family, and you! You know I love those bird photos…the pheasant is quite a handsome fellow and I love how camouflaged the mama is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a special person to appreciate cropland. I never get tired of looking at the miles and miles of farm fields throughout the Midwest.

      Delete
  17. See? This is why I appreciate your blog so much. I learn about all kinds of stuff and things I found pretty distasteful (branding), I now understand. I still don't like it, and I hope future technological breakthroughs make it less necessary, but I now get the reasoning. So, thank you. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a few things too! I had to do a little research to make sure what I thought I knew was accurate.
      I appreciate the fact that you have an open mind to other opinions and ways of life. The is far too little of that nowadays.

      Delete
  18. Farmers don't get the praise they deserve. Thank goodness we have people who are willing to produce our food with all the ups and downs the weather and costs throw at the farmer. I'm sure Farmer Bob is super appreciative that you come to help (Even though It does cost him more to fix your mishaps...haha!) Sure hope the weather holds and you can get things planned. You did an excellent job getting the blog out with little sleep. Looks like the family is having fun at home. Loved the drone shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! The weather has been decent, could be better, could be worse, but we are getting there!

      Delete
  19. Phew! That's a lot of work! We appreciate farmer's dedication and work and long hours put in to produce what we all probably take for granted. Seems like there ought to be a better, easier way to identify cattle in these modern days, but I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Love the family pictures....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree with you on the calves, but as of right now there just isn't a better way.

      Delete
  20. I know of all the professions in the world, one of those I would be least qualified and capable of would be farming and I have tremendous admiration for all it takes to feed our people. You are good people to help with such hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there is plenty of support you could do. Holly brings meals to the field. DeAnne maintains the lawn. The list goes on ...

      Delete
  21. i was thinking about farmers as i planted my small garden today. i have always respected their hard work but reading this, wow, i don't think i could ever do this or really knew what was involved!! thanks for opening my eyes...i enjoyed the ducks and wildlife, especially the pheasant!! get a little rest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might enjoy the wildlife pictures. I got a few more this week traveling around. It is fun trying to get just the right shot of them!

      Delete