Monday, August 21, 2023

Mmm, Bacon!

 Is there anything better than the smell of bacon in the morning? Or the afternoon? Or the evening? Bacon is delicious! Just ask Dakota and Zoey. Whenever they smell bacon, we get their undivided attention. 

But bacon is just not bacon. There is thick cut, maple, low salt, turkey, Canadian, Kevin Bacon and dozens more. The list seems endless. Just as endless is the way to cook it, skillet, microwave, air fryer, oven. Then there is the biggest controversy of all. Crispy or floppy? It is really not a controversy in our house. Crispy is the only way to go. Anything else is blasphemy! So, what prompted this particular opening topic for this week's blog? It was actually the dogs. That first picture is how they look when they hover around the kitchen when they smell bacon. They are so adorable and attentive, I just had to write about it. 

Thanks for all your thoughts on Zoe Belle. I am happy to report that she is 100% recovered.  We are pretty sure she got stung by a bee or black widow. We have plenty of both and she tries to eat them whenever she sees them. She still has not learned and still snaps at bees when they hover around her. 

We did have another scare this week. I swear that dog is going to be the death of us. We were sitting out of the patio with Dan and Bonnie. Zoey and Dakota were nosing around in the grass within feet of us when Barb notices Zoey jump back, and her hackles went up. Barb got up to investigate and started screaming for Zoey to get back. I rushed over to see a 4' snake coiled up ready to strike. We thought for sure it was a rattlesnake, but it ended up being a bull or rat snake. Harmless for the most part. She is now on leash arrest and is not allowed to wander out without a leash even if we are right next to her. 

On the computer front, I try to turn it on every morning, some days it works, some days it doesn't. It is seriously time to get a new one but with the vet bill from last week, it is just not in the cards this month. Come on baby, hold on one more month! I've looked at each of the ones recommended by those who responded and am leaning towards the Lenovo. Something with a full-body hinge. Not these two small ones my current computer has. Update. I found the one I am going to get. I could not find find a Lenovo with a full-body hinge. The MacBooks are just too much money for the rate that I go through them. At under $500, the HP I am looking at is 1/4 of the price of the Macs and has a full-body hinge. I just do not know where to ship it at this point as I could be leaving soon to help with the harvest. 

Let's see, what did we do for fun this week? Oh, we went camping! Only for one night but it was nice to get out and about. We went drove 30 miles south to Angostura Reservoir. Friends Merrill and Vicki were camping down there for 5 days so we decided to join them for a day of kayaking, beach relaxing and fire tales.  Of course, I forgot to get a picture of them, I did manage to get this picture of our site and the beach we hung out at. Rumor has it, this place is packed on the weekends, but the Tuesday night we spent there was actually pretty quiet and enjoyable. There are so many places to explore around here, it is about time we get out and enjoy some of them!

Dakota ready to go camping!
Our site for the night, right next to Merrill and Vicki

It was a short stay but nice to get away for even one night.

Most of the work this week centered around the gazebo. Barb finished staining the posts. We received our post bases in the mail and got them spray painted, then we installed the remaining panels and cut them to fit. 

Me relaxing after starting to get a couple of pieces up. Then trimming one end with a side grinder

As we put the last section of the top together. Barb had to be on the inside holding a wrench on the nuts as I tightened the bolts on the outside. It was over 90 that day so not only was it extremely noisy inside there for her, but it was also hot! 


Barb cleaning some goo off of one of the edges and peeking out of the top after installing the last section.

We were now ready to install the top!

Friday, I started the day at the neighbors helping him install a couple of fence gates. Then it was over to a job site where Kevin was working to help install a huge truss and beams. The owner rented a crane for a few hours to help. There is no way we could have done this without the crane, it was way too high and heavy. 

The big timber truss was the first thing to go up

Then it was time for each of the beams

Once those were in place, I spent the afternoon moving dirt to put around the gazebo pad. Whew!

Sunday was a big day. It was gazabo build day! Kevin came over along with our friend Earl who is visiting from Wisconsin. Using the skid steer and boom we lifted the top in place on top of the sections I already installed. In my mind, this was the most precarious part of the build, but it went incredibly smooth. Once we got it hovering in place, Earl and I got busy inserting and tightening bolts fastening the two sections together. 

Here's a very short video to give you an idea of how we put the top in place. 

Earl and I installed bolts connecting the two sections while the top hovered in place.

Once that was done, we located here the posts were going to be on the pad, anchored the post bases with concrete anchors and measured and cut the posts. The entire process took a lot longer than anticipated with each post taking about 1/2 hour to get aligned, cut and in place. 
Kevin and Earl getting the first post base ready then Kevin leveling it while I screw it into place.

We took a break when Cheryl, Sharon (Earl's better half) and friends Elizabeth and Allen arrived for lunch. Of course, we forgot to take even one picture when they were all here. 

After lunch, we put up the last post and spent time tightening up all the bolts and lag screws. Then at long last, we were done. After months of anticipation and preparation, it was done!

Taking down the tire we used to lift the top.

It was a long, exhausting week but we are oh so happy with the way it turned out. We still have some trim work to do, a few more bolts at install, some electrical to do but it is up! I think we deserve something tasty, mouthwatering, bacon perhaps?!?!?

66 comments:

  1. That is a super cool gazebo!!!
    Mary and Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the puppy recovered! Gazebo looks awesome and I'm sure there will be many relaxing moments and adult beverages enjoyed there over the years. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are planning our first happy hour to break it in this afternoon!

      Delete
  3. Your gazebo looks great and looking at the video build you guys work fast! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome looking addition to your place. Great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick, I see you were having a great time with the grand-girls again!

      Delete
    2. We sure did have a great couple weeks with them.
      In a few weeks we will be heading back to Wisconsin till the end of October. We may have to stop by on our way through SD

      Delete
    3. I will be at the farm in ND until mid October. If that timing works out, swing on by!

      Delete
  5. The gazebo looks great! Now it's time to take some more time off and go camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I agree with you, it is actually time to head to the farm and help them with harvest!

      Delete
  6. Happy to read Zoey is A OK. The gazebo is awesome…

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I’m glad you got the “Coop” right side up. Now get that TV installed so you can watch the Lions beat the Vikings twice this fall! It really came out nice, you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Care to make a little wager on that?!?! The Lions have been right on the cusp the last couple of years, maybe '23 is their year!

      Delete
  8. You have massive projects! Wow. I can barely find the energy to weed! Glad the critters are OK. They need more bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are spent today. Yesterday's high was in the mid 60's, we could have worked all day. Today is in the mid 90's and we have no energy at all.

      Delete
  9. When I saw your title my first thought was “are they going to be raising pigs now??”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pigs fall into the "Been there, done that, never again" category. But if you've got some bacon to spare, we'll take it off your hands!

      Delete
  10. Glad it wasn't a rattlesnake!! We are having a rattlesnake epidemic over here in Montana! Really, really like the gazebo--great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snakes have really shown themselves this week when the temps hit the upper 90's. We have yet to see an actual rattler yet this year, but we know they are out there!

      Delete
  11. Love the Gazebo!! Fantastic work, it looks great. Glad Zoey is doing better.

    I know I'm a bit late on the computer stuff but better late than never. I've had a Mac Book Pro for over 12 years. The SAME one. It works great, it does everything I want it to do. While it was expensive to buy considering how long I've had it and how much I've used it, it was very inexpensive. I've never had a virus, I've never had any major issues of any kind. It does not have the newest operating system but it works well with the one I've been using for years. It's very stable and well built. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Now you've got me wondering what to do! Everyone who has talked about MacBooks have had them for years and love them. I don't know what to do!

      Delete
  12. Every project you take on....I just say "wow".




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put your wows back in the drawer, you won't be needing them. We are done for a while!

      Delete
  13. Are you going to put a cooker of some sort in there? Electricity just for lights, or for perhaps an electric flat grill of some sort?

    I would think snakes would be a huge worry for either dog...but Zoey is so curious since she is just a puppy, that would be a huge worry for me. Indy is pretty quick with her reaction, but it would have to be a non-venomous snake striking at her before she would learn to react and keep her distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TV, a small fridge and some lights. We have a cooker about 20' away on the porch.

      Zoey is way too curious for her own good. It keeps getting her in trouble!

      Delete
  14. Looks awesome!! Some good times will be had there no doubt! BACON! Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, we will have to put it to use when you guys swing by this way again!

      Delete
  15. Looks awesome can’t wait to see it totally finished and of course to come have a totty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fearless dogs need leashes just to keep them alive sometimes! Glad Zoey is better.
    I do heartily agree--crispy bacon is the only way to go. Anything else is blasphemy! ;)
    Love the gazebo!! Have a great week. Maybe another getaway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next getaway is going to be up in your neck of the woods! Well, actually 4 hours west in Douglas, ND.

      Delete
  17. Wow! The gazebo is so cool and we loved the video! Nice that you got away for the night with friends. What a beautiful lake and campground looks really nice! Yep, we love crispy bacon and I love cooking it on the griddle outside! :) I have to agree with Deb about the computer. Love my Mac Book and wouldn't have anything else. I'm cheap but the Mac is worth every penny, and I'm not screaming at another brand LOL. Ask Ken, I was so frustrated, he actually ordered my last one! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you are crispy bacon people. I do not know if I could trust anyone who likes limp, floppy bacon! Your outdoor griddle would be perfect for frying it up, no mess! Well, less mess.

      Delete
  18. Glad Zoey is okay. My dogs are almost always in leash jail. Too many close calls. My Jack Russell got stung about once a month ... she just kept biting the bees. The gazebo ... fabulous. I just can't say enough about good friends and neighbors. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think after being stung once, they would learn not to bite at bees. But no, they keep on trying to snatch them out of the sky!

      Delete
  19. Great job on the gazebo. Interesting video of the construction too. You both could tackle just about anything now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learned that tire in the center trick from Farmer Bob. It worked awesome!

      Delete
  20. It is truly amazing what a person can get done with help. It looks amazing. Bacon needs to be limp and chewy for me. I don't like bitting into a piece of bacon and it shatters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to go out to breakfast together, you can give me your too crispy pieces and I will give you my floppy bacon!

      Delete
  21. All those careful measurements were sure obvious in setting the top on the gazebo. It looks great!
    I'm in the Crispy Bacon Camp, not caring for fatty bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a little luck. I had to switch out a few panels that were not meant to be together but it went together perfectly!

      Delete
  22. Crispy bacon for us! Streaky bacon, that is, not English bacon....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crispy is the clear leader. Only one person likes floppy bacon so far.

      Delete
  23. Very happy that Zoey has bounced back. That was a scary experience and then another with the snake. Yes, bacon is hard to beat. This is the second time I have read your post as after reading about the bacon and seeing your photo, I was ready for lunch and fixed myself a BLT. Thank you! I like my bacon crispy. Camping sounds like fun, especially meeting up with friends, and it looks like a real nice place. Always enjoy seeing what you’re doing around your place. The gazebo is different to the wooden structures I see here, and I love it! It would look good in a designer magazine. With all the hard work you definitely deserve that bacon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a different life Barb and I would have liked to be farmers or ranchers. But in reality, it is way too much work. We are much better off pretending and getting a taste of those lifestyles when I go up to North Dakota a couple times a year.

      Delete
  24. Thanks for visiting my blog-- nice to meetcha!! Debbi at debbisfrontporch-- not anonymous-- ha ha LOL. Yes!!--- bacon is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No argument there, the world is a better place with bacon in it!

      Delete
  25. Your gazebo looks wonderful! I can imagine many happy hours will be spent there with friends eating bacon. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your dogs are adorable! I'd have to share bacon with them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls know they get the last bite of my breakfast which will often include a tiny piece of bacon.

      Delete
  27. Good luck with your new computer. It’s always a bit of challenge and some things don’t seem to work as they did before. I guess the key thing is to make sure that everything on your old computer is fully backed up. As for bacon I’m not sure my arteries would approve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a new computer a few days ago and am about 1/2 way set up. The old computer is still working so I plan on getting everything switched over before I retire it.

      Delete
  28. Floppy bacon is sacrilege! Looks like a fun night away, and a much deserved break from all your hard work. The gazebo "tankebo"? is perfect for that setting, I know you're going to have lots of relaxing evenings there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am relaxing in the gazebo, binzebo, tankebo as I write this. I see many more relaxing evenings to come!

      Delete
  29. Love the grain shelter/patio. So perfect for you property. The video was great. Love the girls waiting for bacon. So cute. Dakota is ready to camp with her sleeping bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I get a special picture of the girls like the "bacon picture" I think of you. You would have loved seeing Dakota playing in the water while we were camping. She was having the time of her life.

      Delete
  30. A bit of a scary time there for the dog. Thank goodness it all turned out alright in the end. Certainly bacon has to be crispy, no other way will do!

    ReplyDelete
  31. first...before i forget, mint can be frozen but you have to just freeze the leaves whole. spread them out on a cookie sheet first and freeze them before you put them in a freezer bag, this way they don't stick together.

    bacon MUST be crisp, not floppy...i make the best bacon according to my family. it's good you get away for day/overnight trips....they are my favorites. i don't like to be away for long periods of time. question, i'm sure i should know this...the silo is a gazebo?? to sit under and relax. what a unique and great idea. it is beautiful, barb is such a hard worker, i would not last 2 minutes in your house!!

    the dogs are cute and oh so smart. i'm glad zoe is feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sit under, relax, have a cocktail, watch a little football. Just enjoy life!

      Delete
  32. Goodness, I am in awe of all you've achieved (and not a little envious too).

    And bacon - what ~is~ it with dogs and bacon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacon has got to hit their olfactory senses really hard; they just perk up whenever they smell it!

      Delete