Wednesday, April 12, 2023

New Project Unveiling!

 It's Sunday, Easter, and here I am a 60-year-old man (kid) looking for my Easter basket. Through each of the cabinets in the kitchen, under the sink in the bathroom. She saves me a little suffering by telling me that it is not on the lower level so, upstairs I go. Under the bed, in the shower, the drawers of the desk.......She's just laughs at me. Finally, on top of the grandfather clock I find my prize!

Since Barb was playing games with me this week, I thought I would play a game with you. If you are involved in the Frenchy community on Facebook, you would know there are lots of pictures posted with the title of "Find the Frenchie" with a French Bulldog hidden somewhere in the picture. Well, here is my version of "Find the Frenchie"..... You may have to zoom in to find her. 

You may wonder why she is hiding. Well, she was a very bad girl this week. Actually, it was more our fault as someone made the bed and left one of her toys under the covers. 


Guess it is time for a new bedspread!

The snow is all gone now, almost 30" gone in a week. How did it all leave so fast? This is how....

We had another first this week! Well, it is the first time we have observed it. We have elk in the area, and they pass through our property a few times a year, usually at night but this morning when we woke up, there they were! Over 70 elk meandered through our pasture eating grass as they went. What a way to start the day!


We spent two days this week getting the last of the tin up. The corner angled pieces were a little more challenging as the longest pieces were almost 16'. Thankfully, we were able to use Kevin's sheetrock lift to hold them up while we screwed them in. 
Once all the tin was up, we could start on the beams that Barb had previously sanded and stained. They are going to be placed everywhere there is a post, a total of 11 beams when all is said and done. 

Now for the big unveiling..... Because we do not have enough to do, we decided to start yet another project. One that we have had in the back of our minds for over a year and were just waiting for the right time. 

I first mentioned this project last October in this post when we leveled out an area just off the porch. Well, this week I was able to take the next step. My nephew-in-law Ryan grew up on a farm about 4 hours east of us in Wood, SD and had just the right item we needed to get started. All I had to do was go get it. 

Here is what I went to go get.... A grain bin!

There was just one stipulation. I could have the one for free if we took down both of them. Kevin was nice enough to volunteer to come along and help. We left the house at 4:45am and drove to Rapid where we met Ryan. We followed him for the next few hours and arrived at the farmstead where we met his mom Lisa, and dad Rob. Both very, very nice people.

The five of us then spent the next 8 hours dismantling the two bins. Being farmers, Rob, Lisa and Ryan are hard workers, so it was pretty much nonstop work. Except for lunch break where Lisa made sandwiches for all of us. 

The idea was to put a chain through the top of the bin and attach it to a tire. Then use a loader to lift the bin, suspending it so we would dismantle it ring by ring. Easier said than done but they got the tire attached to the chain. You ever tried to carry a tire and rim up a ladder, hold it over your head and attach a chain to it? Not an easy task. 
While they were going that, Kevin, Lisa and I worked on removing the bolts holding the bin to the ground. The next challenge was the fact that the bottom ring was cemented to the ground, and we could not access the bolts.  So, we decided to leave the bottom ring for the moment and removed the bin a level up. 
Here is a short video showing how that went. 

Then we removed each layer, lowering it as we went until it was just me inside the top as I removed the top ring and flanges. Then we set about grinding off the bolts on the bottom rim, a pain in the @ss.

A few hours later we had one on the trailer and one more to take down! Kevin and I were back in the truck a little after 6pm tired and ready for our 3 1/2-hour drive home. A 16-hour day but we now have our grain bin! 
The next step is prep the pad site by leveling it more, run electrical, pour concrete and put it up! This will probably not place until later this summer as we have other plans for the rest of the spring. When it is all said and done, it will look something like this....
That's it for now, the suns out and we gotta get back to work!

61 comments:

  1. Oh you've been busy! I might have just sat on your new porch and watched the elk!, But the new grain bin gazebo will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were out standing at the proposed grain bin area this morning envisioning the view. I think we will love it!

      Delete
  2. Love your porch with the tin and beams and am very envious of your grain bin project! Our snow has shrunk significantly but we still have snow. Cool that the elk wandered through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to see if the reality matches the vision. It does not look terribly difficult so I think it will be close.

      Delete
  3. Now that was quite a huge project! But it sure looks like it will be worth it in the end. That is such a cool idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned for the progress! With luck, we'll have it done by the end of the summer.

      Delete
  4. How thrilling to see elk in your back yard! I've only seen them twice - once so far away you needed binoculars to see them, and the other time they were hidden away in dark undergrowth at dawn. My daughter used to complain that they would nibble the tops out of her young fruit trees, but now the city has grown more I don't think they have that problem so much.
    Your new BBQ area is going to be awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got me beat. I've never laid eyes on the Red Stags of New Zealand and I am guessing you have seen a few of those in your lifetime.

      Delete
    2. They are magnificent animals, but unfortunately I've only seen farmed ones and dead ones as they don't wander around freely and I'm not a hunter (leave that to the menfolk LOL).

      Delete
    3. And here I thought they were abundant and visible as our deer are around here. It is still my dream to get out that way one of these years.

      Delete
  5. OMG...you are all amazing with these beautiful projects. That patio area is going to be gorgeous. I did a load of laundry...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found Zoey right off! Your porch and the ceiling looks great. The beams are perfect! How cool to have the elk stop by. I’m not telling Joe about your candy…he would be very envious. And the grain bin project is awesome! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you send me Joe's number? I need to talk to him about my candy!

      Delete
  7. What a good hider! And a good reason for it :-)) That tin ceiling with the beams is beautiful. What a great idea. Another big project getting that grain bin - but the idea is a great one. Will be fun to see it come together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are super excited to get the grain bin up but we have too many things in front of it so it will have to wait.

      Delete
  8. Your plan for the grain bin is wonderful. How great to wake up to Elk in your pasture. Your porch ceiling really is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One more day on the porch and I think we can call it done. Time to move onto the next project!

      Delete
  9. You folks never have a dull moment nor do you ever lack vision. And to answer the question, I have never tried to carry a tire up a ladder, hold it over my head and connect a chain. Some things are better to left to the professionals, the fool hardy or the desperate.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in our case the would be the latter. I don't think any of us had done that before either, nor will we probably ever attempt it again!

      Delete
  10. Very cool having all those elk pass thru and great job on your porch! What a fabulous idea for your grain bin. It will make a great spot for a future beer tasting event! 😉🍻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be ready to our beer tasting in the fall of '24!

      Delete
  11. Yup I found the little bedspread eating critter. How can you be mad at that little face? Hmmm yessiree that's a lot of hard work for a grain bin, but it will be awesome when you get it set up. I hope you marked all the pieces ... it's a jigsaw puzzle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We marked, scored, remarked every piece and intersection but I bet we will still have problems putting that thing back together!

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry, but I am not involved in the Frenchie community on FB so I cannot comment on that. But I think HTDH might. Your place is going to look amazing. It will be a vacation destination but I will wait until the work is done because I know you put people to work when they show up invited. But I may be long gone before that day arrives. But I do love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome anytime. Just don't bring any of those blue beer cans. As for work, if you show up you will be put to work for sure, but Lisa can stand in for you as her production level and beer to manhour ratio is much different than yours.

      Delete
  13. i have grown up myself...and no longer receive an easter basket AND i do not have a sweet tooth. kidding aside, i think if is very nice that barb does that for you, fun and sweet!! i did find frenchie...they are so funny when they misbehave, their faces give them away!!

    i watched that video, you guys sure are hard workers!!

    on my blog jim...we do not have yellow-headed blackbirds, or not that i know of!! i know i act like an expert, but i am not. just a little ole' backyard birder!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Easter basket is silly but it does make me smile. Never grow up, life is so much funner as a child!

      Delete
  14. Very cool! I was thinking maybe a B and B. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This bin is only 15' in diameter and 12' tall. If it was larger, I could have put a 2nd floor in it with a bed or something.

      Delete
  15. Darn. That was me. I keep forgetting to put my name in. Dumb blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a super cool project. Can't wait to see the pics once you're done with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might start reassembling it yet this week while it's still fresh in my head.

      Delete
  17. What a great idea for a grain bin! I look forward to seeing the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we lived by you, it would be a lighthouse instead of a grain bin!

      Delete
  18. I love that Barb hides an Easter basket for you, and yes, I saw your little sweetie halfway down the stairs looking through the railings. Very cute! Uh-oh on the bedspread. I do remember those days when we had our little sweetie. Your home looks really nice and I love the idea of the grain bin gazebo. Very cool looking. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I roll my eyes when she does it, I would not want it any other way!

      Delete
  19. YOu’ll have to get your grain bin done before football season, so you can watch my Lions beat your Vikings twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Lion's were tough last year, so that might actually happen!

      Delete
  20. That will be one unique and fantastic gazebo when finished. Don't forget the TV too. So, the Easter bunny comes to your house too, I must tell Benno that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he only goes to houses of the super good kids. As for the TV, I need to see if our wifi reaches out there. If it does, we will definitely have a TV!

      Delete
  21. What a totally cool use for a grain bin. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm late to the comment party but the porch tin looks really nice and I think that the bin BBQ hang-out is going to be amazing. Elk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We laid out some preliminary plans today, I think I'll start this weekend!

      Delete
  23. What a great idea. It's going to look fabulous. Deb and Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably wouldn't fit in in your neighborhood, but it will in ours!

      Delete
  24. Wow, you guys Never cease to amaze me!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll, at least I am part of a team that amazes someone!

      Delete
  25. That is an amazing adventure! I enjoyed reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Zoey! LOL. You know I am jealous, very, but also so happy for you guys! I really can't wait to see the project finished!! That was quite the job for 1 day, amazes me! What's happening with the 2nd bin? Loved your comment to MN Drifter about not bringing any of the blue cans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stacked and labeled the 2nd for someone else who wants one. Dino was a coneissour of the blue cans until recently. Now he wanders around like he lost his favorite toy.

      Delete
  27. You are such a Big Kid!! Love that you still get a visit from the Easter Bunny. Oh, boy! Zoey pulled a bad one! Love, love the porch ceiling. Beautiful! The beams really top it off. Your new project is so clever. Can't wait to see it finished. But what a project to get the grain bin. You two are just amazing. Wow! Elk!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's that saying go, "Never grow old"?

      We are so glad to have that project behind us. Just two more big projects left and the house is done! Oh wait, make that three with the grain bin.

      One step forward, two steps back!

      Delete
  28. My goodness, what a LOT of work! Nice to get the bins free though. And I love the goal, very cute! Now I need to sit down because reading this has worn me out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Good to hear from you! From I recall, you are not one to sit idle either with everything you have going on.

      Delete
  29. Wow....and what a cool place you will have once you do have that up and going! I love it. As for the tin on the roof, I need to have mine replaced above my deck but I am waiting on my brother to help out with that. It is always something that needs doing! Great job on yours.....and thank goodness I do not have that much to replace. LOL....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that by the time ours needs to be replaced we will be long gone. We made this place as maintenance free as possible so we can enjoy it and travel.

      Delete
  30. So does Barb get an Easter basket? Love the elk. So much work to get that grain bin. You are amazing. Contessa

    ReplyDelete