Saturday, April 29, 2023

Ranch Life

 Well, it's time. Most years by the first of May we would be well into the planting season up at The Farm. This year, they have not even gotten started yet. Cold and snow were curse words for farmers looking to get into their fields this spring. 

Although it put them a couple weeks behind, I did not mind quite as much as it allowed me to spend more time with Forrest, Somer and Lily!

 This week started much like last week's did, over at Kevin's helping him with his rental (the bunkhouse). Only this time, instead of putting the decking on his roof, we were putting the steel up. The first picture is when we just got started, putting up the transition strip between the roof lines. Then the almost finished roof!

Dan and Merrell helped as well. They were cutting the steel to size, removing the protective coating and handing the sheets up to Kevin and I. We started about 9am and quit about 4pm getting the entire north side done. One more 1/2 day and he should have the south side complete making the bunkhouse even more watertight!

While I was doing that, the kids were busy riding dirt bikes on our property. The beauty of having a toy hauler is that you get to haul your toys with you! They have two dirt bikes, three pedal bikes, two electric scooters, three snowboards, a metal detector, two bows, multiple fishing rods are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. As many of you know, when you live full time in an RV you need to bring everything with you!

It is quite interesting having 4 dogs underfoot in the house. They are all good dogs, but it does create a certain amount of chaos. Here is my view anytime I try to have a meal.

Six eyes intently watching my every move. My hand goes right, their eyes move in unison following, my hand goes left, their eyes go left.... Where is Dakota during all this? All I have to do is turn my head to the right....
Barb, Lily and Forrest got out to the Custer Disc Golf course one afternoon for a couple of hours. We did not even know it existed. We will have to do that someday; they said the course was beautiful. 
The weather has not really cooperated with outdoor activities, but we managed to get out on a few more rides in the National Forest. Chloe went to the vet on Wednesday and got spayed, so she has been on a restricted activity plan. Neither Zoey or Chloe understand why she cannot run around and play. I was able to get this short video of them playing before the surgery though!
With only two major projects left on the house, I was anxious to get to one of them. Next up is soffit and facia. Not an overly difficult job, just slow and tedious. I put a few hours in over 3 days and was able to get the 1/3 of it done. 
Friday night we went out and celebrated Dan's birthday. The big 7-0! 11 of us went out; Dan, Bonnie, Kevin, Cheryl, Vicki and Merrell, Barb and I and Forrest, Somer and Lily. We all met up in Custer at the Pine Social Club Company, they did not serve soup, but they did serve beer! 

Beer and axe throwing, what could go wrong?!?! It was a blast!
All this fun and I did not get one picture of the birthday boy! After that we headed over to The Bugling Bull for supper. 
Saturday was a day I had been looking forward to for several years. Calf branding day at the ranch next door! In years past, we have always been gone to the farm by now, but with the late spring up in North Dakota, we finally made it to this big event! There were probably a dozen people for neighboring ranches, friends and family. They pitch in to help each other out for events like this. 

The calves do not like being separated from their moms and visa versa. It is so loud that you can hardly hear yourself think. 
First up were the momma and heifers. They needed to be vaccinated. Angus are very stubborn, it is nearly impossible to force them to go anywhere they do not want to go. 3 or 4 guys were pushing them into a smaller pen, up an alley way and into the squeeze shoot. My job was to operate the end gate on the squeeze shoot opening and closing it as one cow was released and letting another in. 

While they were in the squeeze shoot, one person would vaccinate them, another sprays ivermectin on their backs. Ear tags are replaced as needed.

Once all the cows and heifers were done, it was time for the calves. They were run through the same shoot then into a smaller shoot which squeezes them and lays them flat. Each calf gets two shots, branded and the bull calves get de-nutted. This process is not for the faint for heart, and I could see some judging how this whole process goes, but it is ranch life, has been for hundreds of years and will be for hundreds more, I could see myself as a rancher in another life. It was interesting to hear the ranchers talk about this and that. For example, this ranch uses 3 different branding irons to make their brand. There are so many brands out there right now (like license plates) that all the one and two iron brands are taken up and they are into three iron brands. Very interesting.
The brands are heating up!
For this process, I was the heeler. See that rope on the calf's rear foot? I was holding the other end of the rope. Once the calf is on the table I slip the loop on the foot, trying not to get kicked, pull it tight and hold it while it gets de-nutted and branded. John, the rancher, is quick with the knife and it takes him less than a minute to castrate the bulls. I then take the rope off, they tip the table back and the calf walks off. Barb manned (or Barbed) the branding station. Her job was to make sure they were nice and hot and hand each one to John as he needed them. For those of you wondering, he does save them for Rock Mountain Oysters later. For those of you who don't know, what Rocky Mountain Oysters are, Google it. 
One thing I realized, a little too late, was that both of my jobs were on the business end of the cattle. That must be where they put the rookies. When one particular calf coughed at the wrong time I was covered. Needless to say, a shower was in order at the end of the event. 

Now that I've terrorized you with the reality of ranch life, I will leave you with calming two pictures. This one is of the first flower I have seen for the year. It is about the size of a golf ball, and we saw several of them in the forest while shed hunting. Anyone know what it is?
And for this week's installment of "Find the Frenchie", we received this picture from our niece Alana. Apparently, their little Sophie was wondering what was going on outside when their parents were out in the yard.
Next week's post will be from the North Dakota, I leave tomorrow!

56 comments:

  1. Wow! Lots of hard work and you even got pooped upon--lol! It is all fascinating to me, but I'd be no good at any of it these days.
    The soffit and facia make a huge difference, too. All the final tweaking! That's exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The week is not complete unless you get pooped on, right? I think we handled about 100 head. I cannot imagine what an operation with a couple thousand head would look like!

      Delete
  2. Y'all are go-getters all around - so nice to help and be helped, that's the way it should be among neighbors, family and friends. PS. the pup vid was so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right; neighbors should help one another. I am glad someone enjoyed the pup video!

      Delete
  3. Pine cone. You can't fool me. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is this? Why are you anonymous and how could you mistake a flower for a pinecone? No soup for you!

      Delete
  4. As a 10 year old I spent a few weeks on a family farm and witnessed the branding and bull castrating…quite the event! Good luck playing with all the N. Dakota farm toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how that would leave a lifelong impression as a 10-year-old. I am looking forward to to heading north but Barb will not be joining me for a few weeks so I will miss her and the girls.

      Delete
  5. Even though branding is required in the state of Montana, I still disliked branding day when we had cows. Now that we don't have cows/calves I don't attend brandings, not even our son's. Mike sometimes goes but I decline. I really like the house you've built--I will have to search back through your blog for more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is required here as well. Feedlots and locker plants cannot take unbranded cattle without a huge hassle. Our 11-year-old granddaughter did not attend. It would be good for her to understand how ranching works and where our food comes from but 11 might be a little early. I totally get why you would decline.

      Delete
  6. Hey ... you guys had it EASY!!!! Look at all the equipment you have! We had to rope those calves one at a time, use two horses and two ropes to hold them down to brand. Cows were vaccinated in a long chute where they would try to jump out every six seconds. I admit though, any kind of working cattle, whether with the latest equipment or all by hand, is VERY HARD WORK. You are right ... not for the faint of heart or head. No one ever made it out clean and sweet smelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was only the 2nd year they had the table. There was one calf that was too small for the table, and they had to wrangle it. Our jobs were pretty easy compared to others. The guys herding the cattle with flag poles and pushing them down the shoot had it rough. Those cows were going through and over gates to avoid going down that shoot!

      Delete
  7. I need to have the metal roof on my deck replaced. It is always something that needs doing. But even though there is work to be done, looks like you folks have had time to play and have fun.....nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is hard to take the time to have fun but with Forrest here, it kind of forces us to get out and do some things we normally would not do.

      Delete
  8. I believe the glower us s Crocus. One of the first to pop. Ahh, ranch life. We had a very small ranch but partook of those activities also. Our smaller livestock were tattooed instead of branded, our cattle were already branded. I did the “testicle removal” and all the shots. I could also see myself on a large ranch. Sooo much work though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By golly, I think you are right, it does look like a Crocus! We banded our bull calves; I had never seen it done with a scalpel so quickly.

      Delete
  9. I have been to a farm once as a child so I can probably answer all the questions you have about farm life. Just kidding. It takes a special kind of person to devote their life to that. My aunt took us to the family farm once. My relatives on my mothers side farmed near the Clifford Galesburg area of eastern North Dakota. The only thing I remember about that day was seeing a cow skull in the pasture. Even at that young age I knew that there were aliens at work there, prompting me to buy my first BB gun. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could bring you a cow skull sometime. You could line your driveway with them and scare off any aliens that may be thinking of invading your compound.

      Delete
  10. The soffit and facia sure make a huge difference. I wonder what you will find to do once the major projects are finished then I realized there is always something to do…playing being at the top of the list. I do appreciate farmers and ranchers very much. It’s a tough life they both live. I did take a pic of your flower and did a search for it’s name, but came up empty handed. Glad you and the kiddos are enjoying your time…knife throwing sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did get the facia up, packing took longer than I anticipated and the day got away from me. Oh well, it will give me something to look forward to when I get back.

      Delete
  11. Glad you finally got over to help John with branding and such. It's quite an experience, not unlike ours a few years ago helping him. That year he had his kids and the wrestling team help keep them moving in line. Safe travels to ND.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garrett is in Arizona working on a ranch. Gracie was the only one there, she was on a horse pushing the cattle into the alley way.

      Delete
  12. Ok, gotta ask...what do the "Oysters" taste like??? (And I did not need to google it, guess it was something I learned about in my restaurant days)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John did not share any from this day, but I have ordered them from a restaurant, Have you ever had chicken gizzards? They taste a lot like that.

      Delete
  13. I've not heard of axe throwing before so looked it up and was surprised to find that several places around the country offer it. There is even a national group that runs competitions! You learn something new every day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a first for us as well. They have leagues that you can join but I don't think we will be joining a league soon.

      Delete
  14. It definitely does not sound like ranch work is for the weak or faint of heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, just as farmers care for their land, you will not find anyone who cares more about their animal's wellbeing and health than a rancher.

      Delete
  15. I tried axe throwing earlier this year.. it was fun but I had 0 skill. Cow branding doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy.. but nice of all of you to go over and pitch in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully there are people who do all different things in the world. While I could ranch and farm, there are things that I could never do, like dealing with human injuries, death and the like.

      Delete
  16. I kind of knew this type of cattle farming was hard work, but now I really understand. As to the oysters, these or the ones from the sea, yuk! Loved to see progress on your house and look forward to seeing photos of it when all outside is done. And of course you did share some of your food with the dogs, didn't you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is. I imagine it is hard but rewarding work. The dogs have learned over the years that the last bite of my meal is for them so they wait patiently knowing they would get something sooner or later.

      Delete
  17. Of course they put you at the business end of the cows. Barb I am sure encouraged it. Laughed at your description of the spray . So funny . And for what’s it’s worth I can totally see you both as ranchers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it happened, the look on people's faces said "Did I really see what I thought I saw?" followed by laughter.

      Delete
  18. Life is full of interesting professions! I’m happy that you folks managed to be around this year to help out and get a taste of something new.
    Axe throwing and beer sound like an awesome combination! Lol.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting for sure to see how an outfit this size does branding and such. They have a lot riding on a successful spring and calving season.

      Delete
  19. The axe throwing reminds me of the old clip from Johnny Carson where Ed Ames denutted the drawing of a sheriff on a wooden wall. Maybe suggest a tomahawk next year?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking to myself; "Why do they call it axe throwing, when it is more like hatchets that they are throwing?". They had long handle axes (about 18") for 2-handed throws and smaller ones (about 12") for the one-handed throwers.

      Delete
  20. Boy, that's a lot of work. Good work and I admire all that. Wow! Our weather in Michigan has been unpredictable, too. They are even mentioning snow tomorrow in the south of the state, of all places. I hope they're wrong. Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have mid 70's later this week so hopefully we saw the last of the cold weather for a while!

      Delete
  21. I do miss having those eyes following my every move......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet. When we lost Daisy, we said we were not going to get another dog. One, she was irreplaceable. Two we did not want to go through the pain of losing a pet again. But they fill a void and add so much love to our lives we got Zoey and have never regretted it.

      Delete
  22. Thank you for sharing the information about cattle ranching. I love how people help each other. Good to know this still happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been blessed with good neighbors everywhere we have lived. I cannot imagine the nightmare of bad neighbors.

      Delete
  23. Why do they brand the animals? There has to be a less painful way to identify them, no? I saw in the comments that it's required by the state, but I don't understand why that particular method is required. Is there a reason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I should have answered that in the main post. I am no expert, but I will talk about what I do know in my next post.

      Delete
  24. Another thing...my first car was an Austin Healey Sprite (like a MG). I learned very quickly to NEVER stop at a stop light next to a cattle truck, and if you are going to pass, do it VERY QUICKLY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get splattered or was it just the smell? How would you like to be the guy who whose job it is to power spray the inside of those trailers?

      Delete
  25. Oh, my! I love your audience when food is present. Too cute. Love the video! Zoey is excited to have someone her size to play with finally. I've watch branding day on the Pioneer Woman's cooking show. The Drummond ranch does 100's of cattle. Not my cup of tea!! Maybe next time you can get placed at the other end now that you have "experience." Sounds like your enjoying having the family to visit. Be safe in ND!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have gotten a better video, but they move around so quickly, it is hard to video them. Neither of them could understand why they could not play after Chloe's surgery but they are back at it now.

      Delete
  26. Love the roof on Kevin's bunkhouse! It's going to be awesome when its finished! How wonderful you got to spend so much time with the kids! Awesome how you helped out on the ranch! Loved those pictures. Looking forward to the next blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been over a year since we'd seen Forrest and family. I got 10 days with them, Barb is going to get 3 weeks or so. With luck we'll catch up with them this winter in Florida as well!

      Delete

  27. I just got caught up on your blog for the last month. For some reason I have not been getting emails when you make a new entry. That Blizzard post was crazy. I love the idea for the grain bin. Now dirt bikes, that is cool. I just got back to our ranch and had to get mine out for a ride after being on the boat for 7 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back to dry land. 7 months is crazy, but what a life you two have been living!

      Delete
  28. Hmmm a very educational post. You do remember that I a vegetarian but I do get the circle of life thing. Does the steel keep it warmer or cooler at various times of the year? Contessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure the steel does either. It will last basically forever and sheds snow much better than a shingle roof.

      Delete