Saturday, October 22, 2022

A Week in the Life at the J-B!

Why is it when I wake up in the morning, grab shirt and put it on in the dark and I put it on backwards? I mean I should have a 50/50 shot right? But no, it seems 9 times out of 10 I put it on backwards and have to switch it around. These my friends, are the struggles I deal with in my daily life. I know, I feel sorry for me too!

It's been a busy week here on the J-B. Barb and I have both been motivated to get projects done before the snow flies. Who knows how much time we have. 

Barb has been busy working on a headboard for the bedroom. She is using old fence boards from a cattle corral that we took down when we first bought our property. A long and tedious process. First you have to cut each of the edges getting them straight so they will fit together side by side. Then you have to cut them to length. Next is the planing to get them all to the same thickness. Once that is done comes the sanding, varnishing and put them together to create the headboard. She is still in the planing phase so it will probably be another week before she fits them together. Hopefully next week we can show you the finished product!

For my part, I spent a couple days helping Kevin on some of his projects. He is in the process of building 3 homes by himself. Yes, I said by himself. And he has two more in the waiting. Way overwhelming if you ask me but it's what he does for a living, so he knows what he is doing. He has occasional help when he needs it, and I was there for just that a few days this week. 

One day we spent on the rental (the bunk house) he is building on his property. The hope is to get this completed so he can start getting income next spring. We sheeted the two ends, trying to get it weather tight before winter. 

When we were done Kevin gave Cheryl a ride back up to the main house country style!

The next day we spent siding a house he is building down the road.

Then again on Friday I was back there for a few hours helping pour concrete. This was a 30x20' pad for a parking area outside the garage of a house he is building. Barb came along to help too!

We also lifted that tub surround unit into the loft of the bunk house. Did you know tub surrounds often have to be in place before you can finish framing the bathroom? Kevin and Sam are on the bottom, I am on the top. Then Sam held it in place while Kevin and I pulled it up to the loft.

Other projects around our house include clearing ugly trees and lower limbs on the trees around the house. We are doing this for two reasons. The first is to open our view around the house, the other is to help fire prevention. Should a fire break out around the house, it will be harder for them to reach the upper branches of the trees. 

My neighbor Jim and I spent a morning hauling gravel onto our driveway area around the house. We are about 80% done having hauled 60 ton of gravel around the house area. Then we have the main driveway to do!

Barb and I spent several hours at our neighbors down the road, Chris and Toni. Chris was a welder in his former life and said he would take a look at our camper jack that was damaged from hitting that deer. Well, he did it! And now we can finally take the camper off!

Which is exactly what we did on Wednesday. We hooked up the trailer and loaded it up with all our scrap metal from building the house. Then we headed to Rapid City with the truck, camper and trailer. Our first stop was the recycling plant where we unloaded all the metal. 200 pounds of scrap metal netted us a shopping $7!

Next up was Menards where we split up with our own huge list of items to pick up. I went to the lumber yard and loaded up (27) 2x10's 14' in length. Along with a dozen 2x4's and a dozen 2x6 studs, and some tracks for the sliding doors on our shed. Typically, there are a lot of employees out in the yard, well, that is until you could use some help loading something. Then they all vanish like some kind of endangered species. You see them once in a while, but it is just a fleeting glance sighting. I can load 14 footers by myself, but a little help would have been appreciated! The last thing we put in the trailer was a tub/shower unit for Kevin and Cheryl's rental unit. 

Lumber for the loft!
Then it was off to the camper repair place where we dropped off the camper. We are having a little repair work done on the roof. You could hear the truck sigh, a sigh of relief when the camper was finally off. It had been on there since April!

Our final stop of the day was the house of a guy who was selling a round comfy chair for our loft. Barb had been looking for quite a long time and finally found the one she wanted. We loaded that up in the bed of the pickup and finally started heading home. It was a 9-hour day, and the pups were certainly glad to see us when we got home!

It's not all work here. We took some time for some fun too. Barb and I spent an afternoon making Honey Liqueur. Something we have never done before. It is pretty easy actually. You take honey, water, an orange wedge and simmer it for a while, let it cool, add vodka and bottle it. We made two batches. The first batch was not honey enough and you really tasted the vodka so the second bath we added a cinnamon stick and 1/2 cup more of honey. Delicious!

Barb also made some apple crisp from the apples I brought back from the farm. That too was delicious!

My friend Doug invited me to go fishing at an undisclosed lake. There is an unwritten code when a friend invites you fishing. 1) You cannot ever disclose the lake to anyone. 2) You cannot invite or take anyone else there without the permission of the person who first told you about the spot. 

Break these rules and you will lose a fishing buddy and never get invited fishing again. 

But we had an awesome time, catching 10 plump and fatty trout! Barb and I grilled one and smoked the other. And you guessed it, they were delicious!

Saturday morning Kevin came over and prepped the site for one of our future projects. We got the area flattened out for the project and we are going to let it settle for the winter so we can start working on it in the spring. First Barb laid out some 8" pipe for drainage.

Then Kevin got busy knocking down a hill and flattening out the project area. 



What is this project you ask? Well, you will have to wait until spring to find out!

The wildlife this week has been frequent. I put out an alfalfa bale for the deer to enjoy. And Zoey enjoys watching the turkeys through the window!

And not blog would be complete without a picture of Dakota for Pam in Nevada so here is a picture of Zoey and Dakota going to the bathroom at night. Zoey is wearing her illuminated collar and Dakota is right next to her. You're welcome Pam!

Last but not least, Saturday night we went to a neighbor of Kevin and Cheryl's for a get together. We met Greg and Jan through a few years ago and they are really good people. Dan and Bonnie joined us along with Kevin and Cheryl for a few hours of libations and smart talk. 

Dan and Bonnie

Cheryl, Jan and Greg

Everyone was having serious stimulated conversation. Well, except these two!
Greg is an accomplished artist and was kind enough to give us one of his paintings to hang in our house! 

Whew, that was another busy week! I just realized something. All of the pictures are of Barb working and the only one of me working you cannot even see me! As of right now the only thing we have planned for this week are projects around the house, but I am sure that will change!

I have a question for you. someone recently posted on their blog about how to get people back on email notifications for blog posts. Over the past couple of months, I have received several messages from readers saying they are no longer getting email notifications on our posts. Does anyone know how to fix that?

45 comments:

  1. Such a busy life there and you are thriving! Well done, you two!

    I will be interested in the answer to that question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I have mentioned before, you guys are busy folks and your work always turns out beautiful. Can’t wait to find out what the big project is going to be for next spring. I have answered your question in my blog comments as to get mail notifications to your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like to stay busy. If we don't have anything to do, we will find something! Thanks for answering my question, but you are afflicted with another Blogger issues with the "Anonymous" comment curse, so I do not know who you are. I know it was a while ago and I went back and reread each of the blogs we follow and just cannot find that post!

      Delete
  3. It’s Gay…your drive looks nice and I can’t wait to see Barb’s new headboard. What a cool idea! And turkeys on your patio is totally awesome! Love the slant on the bunk house your friend is building. You have been busy…wish I had some of those apple crisps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turkeys are pretty cool to see every day, except for their poop everywhere which, for some reason, Zoey thinks are just little snacks for her!

      Delete
  4. Go to Settings and scroll down to EMAIL, then EMAIL POSTS TO, add the address and save. I think that will work.

    Come on, we all know Barb does all the work around there! That's crazy that guy is building those houses by himself, but if it keeps you men out of the bar ....... So nice to see neighbors having fun together. Around here they don't even wave at you when you drive by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will try that and see if it works. Truth be told Barb does most of the work around here. I might do the heavy lifting, but she does not slow down and is always doing some while I take a little breather between my projects.

      Delete
    2. My Blogger only shows me who is receiving post emails and gives me the option to delete them, but not to add anyone else :-( I was so hopeful!!

      Delete
    3. My blogger does not allow me to access that area of the menu at all. It is all ghosted.

      Delete
  5. I love Barb's idea for the headboard, can't wait to see it or your project for next spring! Wow those houses are going to be beautiful. Love Greg and Jan's outdoor fireplace. Ken doesn't plan on using the door to ours, we like it open too. The circle chair is awesome! Honey liqueur sounds interesting, a sipping drink I presume? Love the bottles you put it in. :) The painting is gorgeous, such a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you manage to get some fun time in once in awhile after all those projects. Are you building a guest house next spring…maybe we’ll visit. 🤣
    Colibaba’s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that would make our spring if you guys came to visit!

      Delete
    2. We really do want to come visit eventually but don’t want to watch you work. Maybe when the homestead is complete. 🤣

      Delete
  7. Shirt on inside out...try PANTS on inside out! Last week Indy REALLY needed out, so I quickly grabbed my short pants and put them on, went out back with her. A bit later I needed something from the car, and ran into our neighbor and we talked a bit. Then (about 90 minutes from when I put on the pants) I need to go to the store, and as I put my keys and wallet into my pants, something just did not seem right...but I ignore it. Thank goodness I needed to use the toilet, and as I sat there I look down at my pants and just start laughing. (thank goodness I caught it before going to the store!)

    Glad to see that Barb is up to doing hard labor again so that you can sit back and just take pictures of everyone working.... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is funny right there! I am sure I will do that at some point as well!

      Delete
  8. Busy as always! The love the headboard idea. The booze sounds good. I wanna go fishing at that lake too! I KNEW you were going to build a special cabin just for us!
    Are you talking about adding that e-mail gadget?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you guys are welcome to stay in it, but it is not a cabin! That lake is incredible at the moment. Apparently, the hatchery was cleaning out their ponds and released a few thousand adult trout in it. They are swimming around dazed and confused so even I can catch few!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to answer your question about the email. I had the email gadget on my sidebar at one point, but it is now gone. I do not remember taking it off. Is it still available and working? I've had multiple people say that something changed within Blogger and they are no longer receiving email notifications for some reason.

      Delete
  9. Yep. Lots of pictures of Barb working and you fishing. What's that saying from Jeff Foxworthy? You might be an alcoholic if you make your own alcohol? Something like that. Keep up the good work and I also have things here that need to be done. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As life should be. Her working and me enjoying myself! There will be many more pictures of us making alcohol in the future, this is just the beginning!

      Delete
  10. LOVE the picture of the dogs "getting busy" at night.....Pam isn't the only one that needs to see frequent dog pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog pictures are not as easy to get as one would think. Dakota just lays around all day unless we are on a walk or someone is eating food. Then she is very attentive! Zoey is a camera hog and is always doing something picture worthy.

      Delete
  11. Sorry, I didn't realize I would be anonymous when I left the above comment saying I replied to your question in my blog comments. Maybe not showing who I was had something to do that I wrote from my iPad instead of the laptop. Ugh, Blogger is sometimes weird. Anyway: Go into "Settings": Scroll to "Invite more people to comment notification emails" Click to: "Emails to invite" and input the email address of the person and then: Send. The recipient will get a Blogger note of: Manage new blog post notification emails for (Jim and Barb) The person can Unsubscribe if not accepted. It works for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I couldn't find it again but thank you! I know you helped out more than one person there.

      Delete
  12. I need a nap just reading all you've been up to - in a Week! That snow may be what you need to get some rest. Great pic of the dogs at night, I know Pam appreciates how adorable they are :-) The painting is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Barb is going to make a frame for Greg's painting. He said he has a rule; if he comes over and the paining is not displayed and stuck in a closet somewhere, he takes it back. I don't blame him, I am sure each one is a lot of work!

      Delete
  13. I’m just curious to know if the backwards shirts are button up? That would be cause for concern! Though Barb appears not to be worried so I guess we have no need for alarm.
    Sometimes taking photos is work of it’s own, not the labour intensive kind like refurbishing wood, making apple crisp, making a batch of adult libations, etc. I can see why Barb was enjoying her ‘down time’. Not to say fishing isn’t work, baiting hooks or attaching lures is fraught with strain and danger, not mention all of that reeling and stuff. Besides how does one take photos of one’s self while busy working?
    I think your neighbourhood must be an amazing places to live, everyone helping each other, as it should be but so rarely is any more. Great friends, great times.
    The wild turkeys on the patio would drive me crazy with their droppings, much like Canadian Geese. I am always amazed at the amount the can leave behind.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they are not button up, what do you think I am some kind of idiot?!? They are zipper ups! Actually, fishing is filled with its own challenges. Have you tried to get the fishing line through a hook eye lately? I feel like I spend most my time blindly stabbing the fishing line at the eye just hoping that by some miracle I hit the hole!

      Delete
    2. For challenged needle threaders there is a tool for threading a needle, just saying maybe the aging anglers have something similar. Now I can understand the backward thing, zippers are confusing!

      Deb

      Delete
  14. I always do mention it (or at least think it), there is so much work to be done "in the country" compared to "life in the city." It is fun to read about all you and Barb do. Never a dull moment or a lazy moment I would imagine!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some significant differences between city life and country life for sure. I am not sure what we would do to keep ourselves busy if we lived in the city, but I am sure we would find something!

      Delete
  15. i got up, put my shirt on with some help, and here i am. shameful as it is, i have done almost nothing. you 2 sure are busy beavers, i can't wait to see barbs headboard!!

    i did not know the fishing rules, good thing you told me!! you are lucky to have such nice neighbors, they are lucky to have you too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somedays just getting up and getting a shirt on is effort enough. For you, that will have to do for a while....

      Delete
  16. I am always exhausted when I finish your post. You two are amazing and never stop. The Energizing Bunnies!! Can't wait to see Barb's headboard. Love the idea. I'm sure Kevin is extremely happy to have you near by and able and willing to help no matter what the job is. Great chair for the loft. I see Zoey approves, as well as Barb. Oh, boy! Love the photo of Dakota and Zoey. Too funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our goal is to hit it hard over the next couple of months and get all of our work done so we can play next summer. The only thing slowing us down at this point is the weather. We have plenty of indoor projects but I would really like to get that stone knocked out so that is behind us.

      Delete
  17. That is a lot of work. I did not know about that fishing rule, thankfully no one has ever invited me to go fishing with them. Your get together looks fun.. kicking back with good friends always makes the day better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same rules apply to hunting should someone invite you to their favorite hunting spot this fall!

      Delete
  18. Huh, I know those Vanishing Employees. They hang around you in a shop when you want to be left alone to browse, then when you want something they are nowhere to be found!
    Love the painting you were given, and am looking forward to seeing the finished headboard – and perhaps you doing some work for a change!!!
    Have a happy day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few shops around that seem to have very helpful employees, Schell's comes to mind, but for the most part helpful employees are hard to find.
      As far as pictures of me working, those are like seeing a unicorn as Barb very rarely takes pictures!

      Delete
  19. I really enjoy your blog. The energy, the talent and the creativity you both have is admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been away from the blog world for the past couple of months. I just got caught up on your entries. I certainly love the hunting and fishing stories and pictures. I certainly hope you are correct on your political views. I completely agree with you. The MSM is doing nothing but dividing us. Thanks for the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you! I was not sure if you were blown away from one of the hurricanes or not. We will hopefully have more hunting and fishing stories in the coming posts!

      Delete
  21. i forgot to say the birds were right, including the dark eyed junco!

    ReplyDelete