Friday, September 8, 2023

Reminiscing

I survived the week after disclosing a little more about the secret farmer's code. Farmer either did not read the blog or is trying to sweeten me up as he bought donuts (see what I did right there?) for us this week! They were delicious!

I got a couple of comments saying that they just did not get or understand the Farmer's Code. Those of you that have read our blog for a while know that I can sometimes get carried away with my story telling, stretch the truth one might say. Well, I am a fisherman so that goes without saying. 

Truth be told while many farmers may not share their yields or other information. Here at Finken Farms they share pretty much everything. As a seed dealer, they want everyone to succeed, so they share as much information as possible. I overheard several phone conversations this week where Chris or Dylan were talking harvest results with other farmers. Talking specific varieties, yields, residue, protein levels and other detailed information. And by golly, they were telling the truth!

Speaking of which, there is so much more that goes into raising these crops than the average person will ever know. It used to be, you planted the seed and pray to God it rains and will comes up. Well, that actually has not changed. What has, is what to expect from the crop. Protein, weight, moisture all plays a key role in the value of a specific crop. 

View from my office

When they take a crop to the elevator it is not only weighed to see how much they bring, but also analyzed to see how much actual protein the specific grain has. The more the protein, the more the value. Why does protein matter? Protein is what keeps us going. 14% is the standard protein for wheat. Although it varies from year to year, this year you get docked $0.50 a bushel for 13% protein but you will get a $0.50 premium for 15% protein. This is based on sliding scale up and down 11% is worth a lot less where 16% is worth a lot more. 

Most breads are made from wheat with an average of 14% protein so that the nutrition label on the bread is consistent. This is the ideal number for the markets. There are hundreds, if not thousands of varieties of wheat out there. Some designed for high protein, some for low protein. Some farmers will grow high yield, low protein wheat hoping to make money by volume while others will grow higher protein (which is typically lower yielding) and make money on the protein premium. The best-case scenario is high yield and high protein which the ticket below shows.

It is also analyzed to determine the moisture content. If a seed is too wet, you are "docked" because the elevator does not want to pay for the extra weight of the water, and it affects how long the grain can be stored without spoiling. 

Who would ever imagine the work and analyzation that goes into just this one little seed. 

NDSU has a whole division that does nothing but analyze and try to improve seed quality. The height, the number of seeds on a stem, the protein, the disease resistance, the residue left after harvesting. These are just the few that I know about. There are other elements that go into the analysis as well, but it is a far cry from the farming of yesteryear. 

Could you imagine what our grandfathers and great-grandfathers would think if they walked around todays planting and harvesting equipment?!?!

But this is not what I wanted this week's blog to be about. Sitting for the tractor for hours on end, you have a lot of time to yourself. Time to reflect, think about the world, and life in general. When I had heard that Jimmy Buffett died, I got an unexpected pit in my stomach. I was not a Jimmy Buffett groupie, but I did enjoy his music. His music reminded me of summer fun. Sun, sand, beaches, being at the lake, no stresses and just loving life. There are two periods in my life that I would love to relive or two periods in my life that I would not mind being stuck in. The first is anytime in the 1988-1990 era when the kids were young. We were somewhat newly married, broke but very happy. Forrest would have been 1-3 years old and relied totally on us for everything, we were his world. Jessica would have been 7-10, our little baby girl, playing with dolls, going to dance and gymnastic lesson, with no stresses of adulthood. The other period is well before that and is the one that came to mind when I heard about Jimmy's death. It was when I was 14-17 spending summers with my dad on the lake in Shell Lake Wisconsin. Not a care in the world, just enjoying the summer with a speed boat, sailboat, motorcycle and the Shell Lake Municipal Beach. Then came August of my 17th year when I knew my days at the lake were numbered and adulthood had caught me, saying goodbye to friends that I knew I would probably never see again. That carefree lifestyle is what his songs were all about. It is almost fitting that he died in late summer/early autumn where the last vestiges of summer and his life were coming to an end. 

But it was another song I had heard this week that summed up the stresses of adulthood in one simple verse. I'd heard the song 100+ times but when I really thought about this verse it totally made sense that this should be every parent's goal in life. 

The song is A.A. by Walker Hayes. It is really the second verse that resonated with me. Here, listen to the song first, if you have not heard it. I think you will love it. Walker Hayes song AA

Here are the lyrics for the second verse and how it relates to my life:

And I'm just tryna keep my daughters off the pole, And my sons out of jail  ( I was successful on one of these two things, I'll leave you wonder which one)
Tryna get to church so I don't go to Hell (The forests and fields are my church)
I'm just tryna keep my wife from figuring out, That I married up and she married way, way down, (If she has not figured this out by now, maybe she is not as smart as I give her credit for)
In Alabama where they love Nick Saban, Tryna write a song the local country station will play (This line has no relevance in my life whatsoever)
Hey, I'm just tryna stay out of AA (So far, so good. One day at a time)
Walker has a couple of great songs, his most popular being Fancy Like.
I am happy to report that I had no spills or accidents this week. We finished harvesting the wheat on Sunday. What a pain that was. The last field was a breeder seed field which is the highest pedigree of seed for resale. 
It also means that you need to clean all your equipment before you enter the field to prevent cross contamination from any seed that is stuck in the combine, tractor, cart or semi from another field. Several hours of very, very dirty work blowing out every crack and crevice on the machinery. 
Dylan and Chris checking their fantasy football teams while I work.

The picture on the right is one I took for Barb, but I thought I would share it here as well. I was a dirty, dirty boy.
          Dylan cleaning out the combine hopper                                      Me, after cleaning
Farmer Bob, fixing a couple broken sickle sections.
 After that field, we moved onto Canola. Moving the combines takes up the entire road. The hope is not to run into any traffic. They pull into the ditch for both oncoming and traffic going the same direction as these things top out at about 25mph. 
Fuzzy picture through a dirty windshield
The next canola field was 400 acres, and it took us 3 days to complete. Well, 4 if you count the rain day.
Typical canola field ready for harvest
Now, your answer to the quiz from last weeks post. .....A few of you guessed on what this is. Harry was the first one to correctly guess, it is a seed sampler used to collect seed. They collect samples from anything they are going to resell so they can maintain them should they ever need it in the future. 
Better than sticking your hand down near the auger!
Since I did not post any dog pictures last week, I thought I better do it this week. Here are the dogs of the farm.... Nova, Remington and Nellie. For gun enthusiasts you will notice that each of these dogs are named after shotguns as these dogs are specifically duck and pheasant hunting dogs. Throw in the occasional racoon and porcupine. Nova (3) and Nellie (1) belong to Dylan. Remington, 12 years old, belongs to Chris. 

Remington is just a hunting machine and is the rules the farm (just ask the UPS man), while Nova and Nellie are basically just pups and want to play all the time. In the picture below you will find Nova on the left. That is Nellie in the kennel and Remington on the outside. This is where Remington has been for the past week as Nellie is in heat. Well, except twice when we found Remington INSIDE the kennel! How long he had been in there each time is unknown, but we are guessing hours. One time we know he pried himself through the door that was bungeed closed. The other time be may have wedged himself under the kennel, but we are pretty sure in a few weeks there will be more dogs on the farm. More than likely named Ruger, Winchester, Ithaca and Weatherby. 
In other big farm news, Calvin started school this week! I don't know who was more excited Holly, who will now have some alone time, DeAnne, who got to drive him, or Calvin, who got to ride the bus with his two brothers. I am going to go with Holly who probably enjoyed the few hours of peace and quiet. Anyone want to guess how many kids will be in Calvin's graduating class if nothing changes over the next 12 years? 5, Calvin and 4 others. Now, that is country living!
Gavin, Chase, DeAnne and Calvin

And before I forget again, do you remember our friend Jeannie who visited us a few months ago and was practicing to swim the 2.1-mile trek from Bayfield Wisconsin to Madeline Island? Well, she did it! That is quite a feat, there is no way I could have ever done it. 
Jeannie, center, back

I will leave you with this picture. We found this after opening the hood on a tractor that had been sitting all summer. I do not know who was more surprised, us or the bat!
I have nothing to report from Barb this week. If she is having fun back home, she is not sharing it with me. So, I'll just be up here working away, trying to stay out of A.A. ever thankful that our daughter's dance and gymnastic lessons were never put to use!

60 comments:

  1. we always use to say "don't let the truth get in the way of a good story"!! i think that may apple to you, maybe...perhaps!! i have no comment on all that technical farming jargon, i read it, i did understand it but as you know, it is not my jam. when we got married in 1978, we were never happier and never broker!!

    "ever thankful that our daughter's dance and gymnastic lessons were never put to use!" does that = you were not able to keep your son out of jail?? keeping boys out of jail, even ever so briefly, is not easy!! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't lived until you spent at least a few hours in lockup right?
      I look back so fondly at those early days of our marriage. We are still happy some 37 years later, but those were special times.

      Delete
    2. yes...the early days were really great. no money but no real worries and everything was kinda new, i have super fond memories too. we have been married 45 years. black and orange butterflies are monarchs. my caterpillars will be black swallowtail butterflies. i planted dill many years ago and noticed so many caterpillars on it...i did some research and the rest is history. they also like parsley. i planted 2 milkweed plants this year for the monarchs, they are on the decline, but i have only seen one and have no caterpillars!!

      Delete
  2. Your posts are always very interesting, and my attention never wavers. Those farm shots remind me so much of hubs family in ND. That bat must have been a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that I can give you a glimpse of farm life in ND and bring you memories of the family farm!

      Delete
  3. Money has absolutely nothing to do with happiness but it can be “some unhandy” as my FIL used to say. I enjoyed the info about the wheat, so much involved in what the farmer makes every year. A Turkey shoot…so to speak. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of it as a turkey shoot, other adjectives perhaps but not that one. I have never heard the saying "some unhandy" either but know firsthand that you do not need money to be happy.

      Delete
  4. The grand-girls had dance lessons! Hope they are not put to use too.
    Your stories remind me of the old farmer joke:
    The farmer spends all his savings on seeds and prays as he plants them:
    Rain - too much and the crop drowns ... he goes broke
    to little and the crop dies ... he goes broke
    Sun - too much and the crop burns ... he goes broke
    too little and the crop does not ripen ... he goes broke
    Just right! and a bumper crop! ... prices fall and he goes broke ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have confirmed my point that that should be every parent's or should I say grandparent's goal in life!
      Your joke is very appropriate, the only saving grace is when the farmer has a good crop in one part of the country while another area may have a drought making their crop worth much more.

      Delete
  5. Do you know the Jeremy Clarkson series about farming on BBC? I don't like him but that is where I first learned about harvesting grain, moisture and protein content, etc. Absolutely amazing . And hard work. Great post, Jim. Oh, and sons and jail? Been there done that, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never watched that series, sounds like something I will have to check out this winter. Sons in jail? Just carrying on the family tradition, I do not know about my grandfather, but my son would make the 3rd generation for spend an hour or two in the hoosegow.

      Delete
  6. My guess is that Remington went up over the fence. I saw a video on the net a few weeks ago where a dog went up and over a fence higher than that fence. Interesting stuff there about the wheat and how they 'grade' it. In the portion of Arkansas I lived they grew lots of cotton and rice...both of which had grading too. The cotton had to WHITE, the dirtier it got, the less it was worth. It also had to be dry, and strong. With the rice they graded it, but then they would cook a sample to see how it taste, if it was mushy or not, etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that. Chris's dad (Bob S.) had a dog named Blackie that we used to watch when they went on vacation. We could not keep that dog in. We watched it climb an 8' fence on multiple occasions.
      How would you like to be a rice taster as a profession? No thanks!

      Delete
  7. There's one thing about driving tractors and trucks ... it gives you WAY too much time for your mind to wander!! I've sung that song many a time!! Harvesting time is stressful ... glad their numbers are good. And it never fails, dogs will find a way!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dog was relentless! Even dogs from over a mile away were making their way to the farm, incredible just how sensitive their noses are!

      Delete
  8. Dogs in heat will attract dogs from miles away. Yes they definitely will have more dogs in their future. In spite of working such long days I suspect you are in your happy place in that combine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just find it amazing that dogs sense of smell is that good. Is it a blessing or a curse that we do not have such a sensitive sense of smell?

      Delete
  9. You have marvellous adventures! That is a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your adventures look incredible as well. Loved your videos this week!

      Delete
  10. We love your blog from the farm every time you are there! Very interesting stuff this week! The kids are so cute on the bus, What a small class that will be! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy to think that Calvin's class is that small while others in big city suburbs are over 1,000.

      Delete
  11. I did not know you listened to rap. I assume it's rap because I just scrolled through everything. Like the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I thought my friends at least read the blog and did more than just scroll through it.... Now I am so, so sad.

      Delete
    2. I know, makes me ever sadder, she doesn't call, write, text or send me pictures!

      Delete
  12. Interesting post, I learn some new things about wheat harvesting. I love yours dogs, I used to have a yellow lab and a chocolate lab, they were great dogs. I have can not imagine a class of only 5 children. Thanks for visiting, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are not my dogs, but I do have a lab myself back home. They are such loving dogs!

      Delete
  13. We,, too, loved the "Clarkson's Farm" tv series, you should check it out - pretty funny! Dave grew up on an old-time farm, so we both have great interest in all the crops/fields we pass, the equipment being used, the storage facilities (crude and sophisticated), etc. They make up a large part of our traveling conversation when we're in an agricultural area. I only wish that farmers would put signs up along the highway so we'd know what we were seeing! I'm sure they have time to do that, right? As for the dogs...where there's a will there's a way! If you keep an unaltered female you'll have puppies - no matter what you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell most of the crops, except maybe the difference between wheat, barley and rye on the fly. I am still amazed at the nose of a dog. I was driving to the field one day and there was a dog running down the center line of the road heading towards the farm from over a mile away. Sure enough, he made his way there!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for visiting my blog and having wishing Maddie the best. I think this was an interesting post as I know nothing about wheat farming. But I do know about flour and baking. It's interesting to read more details about where flour begins other than just saying it comes from wheat. And I would never have guessed that almost no one speaks about their crop values. We had a bat once living under and umbrella. I hope this one managed to find a good place to sleep off the day. I know here in new Hampshire bats are rare as we have that fungus disease that is killing them off. With all the rain we got this summer we need them to keep the mosquitoes down. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of bats, but I mean them no harm as you are right, they do serve a valuable purpose in keeping the bugs down.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for visiting my blog, Blue Country Magic. Always nice to meet another farmer, although we raise cattle, not wheat. We are in a drought area at the moment, worrying about the hay crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cattle are no easy task. We used to have a few. I had to go back and see what state you were in. I did not know Virginia was having a drought this year. When we have a drought, we can generally get hay from Montana, Wyoming and nearby Nebraska. I imagine you need to truck yours in from a ways out.

      Delete
  16. The view from your office of the “amber waves of grain”…first photo…is gorgeous!
    Chances are good that I might still be teaching if I could have been so lucky as to have had a class of 5 students…I loved teaching Kindergarten and first grade…especially teaching those eager and excited little kiddos how to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I would have cleaned the windshield that morning the picture would have been a bit clearer.
      It must be weird for that teacher to have so few kids in class.

      Delete
  17. Definitely some new readers that don't know how "fisherman Jim" rolls. Haha! Glad all is going well with the harvest. I find it fascinating all that goes into a harvest. Thanks for sharing the details of the process. I guess those dogs will suffice for awhile:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New readers to play my tales to are always welcome. Although I fear some take me too literally.

      Those dog pictures were for you as I knew I could not get away with two weeks with no pictures of at least some dogs.

      Delete
  18. The photo of you after cleaning made me laugh! The times my husband came home from contracting looking like that! About the turkey poop, I am assuming Zoey is a dog. Much as Eric loved rolling in the pheasant poop I think even he would draw the line at eating it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoey is our little Frenchie. She will eat just about anything much to our displeasure.

      Delete
  19. My grandfather (or my father for that matter) would have difficulty recognising farming practices today, they have become so technical. One thing doesn't change though - getting grubby! LOL xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grubby will always be there when working with the earth. A very rewarding dirt it is!

      Delete
  20. Where there's a will there's a way. Where there's a will there's puppies--lol!
    Glad the harvesting is coming to a close.
    Funny, but true, song--lol!
    Congrats to Jeannie!
    The bat must have been as surprised as you were. Probably more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling there will indeed be puppies. I will be gone by their due date but will make sure to post pictures when/if the time comes.

      Delete
  21. Well, we are home after visiting your neck of the woods and we had a great time! The Black Hills are beautiful and the ATV riding was awesome! Wheat protein matters to bakers of sourdough bread--the higher the flour protein the better the chance of the bread "working." If I could chose, I would want to go back almost 29 years to the day I met Mike in August and do those 29 years all over again--he has been the best thing that ever happened to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wished we were there to meet up with you! I have lots of questions about how your adventure went but I will just wait for the blog which will probably answer all of them.
      That is another time period I would like to go back to, when Barb and I first met, dated and married. I remember parts, but there is so much that I do not remember.

      Delete
  22. Certainly have learned lots about farming from your blogs. Things have certainly changed since my brother and I spent a few weeks on a family farm in the early 60’s.
    Even as kids they put us to work but we had fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I think farmers love thier chosen profession, I doubt they would classify it as "fun". Only us part-time farmers probably consider it fun.

      Delete
  23. I love that silly song too. Farming is so intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looking at and reading the info on farming equipment I was also thinking what a shock it would be for farmers of the past! Still a lot of hard (and obviously dirty) work for today's farmers. It's incredibly wonderful that you immerse yourself in that country farm life every year, and also that you share it with us! Every bat I've ever seen was light-colored like that one, yet I always expect them to be black :-) That song makes me laugh every time I hear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about the reverse? Do you think the younger farmers of today could use the equipment of yesteryear? Definitely not!

      Delete
  25. That is fascinating about the protein etc.. learn something new everyday.. thanks for sharing the info.
    Hope Calvin and his sibs have a great new school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I learn more and more every year I come up here. I shall never take the food we buy and eat for granted again.

      Delete
  26. My head hurts from trying to absorb all this information. Super interesting, but I hope there will not be a test.

    I know bats love belfries, but tractors? That's a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No test, hopefully just information that others find as interesting as I do.

      Delete
  27. I'm hoping there's no test at the end of this post too. I sure learned a lot but probably won't remember it. Interesting about how music brings memories of our lives. It sure does for me too. Have a good weekend. Get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was told the other day, there are no weekends in farming. A slightly slower pace on Sunday, but the work still continues!

      Delete
  28. I love your posts. They are entertaining, educational and almost totally believable. LOL. It's nice to see you working so hard to help Farmer and family, and the world in general! We all appreciate your dedication and hard work.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you are much to wise to the world to take me too literally! You must be thinking about the winter to come and making traveling plans?

      Delete