Saturday, September 2, 2023

Farmers Code #2

 Some of you may recall our post titled "The Farmer's Code" we published back in April of 2020. Well, three years later, I still have not been allowed into this secret society, but I am learning more and more about it by observing these famers in their natural habitat. I still catch Farmer, Chris and Dylan having secret meetings without me. I will walk into the shop to find them huddled together talking, as soon as I walk into the room, they will scatter like mice in different directions like nothing was going on. But I know. I know they are having a secret meeting talking about things like; What are we going to tell other farmers we are yielding this harvest? Or are we going to use a one finger or two finger wave this week when passing other vehicles. (If you unfamiliar with these waves, go back and click the link above for the original post to get up to speed.) Or are they going to use the ever controversial four finger wave? This is probably the toughest of waves and should only attempted by the most skilled drivers. While the one or two finger wave allows the driver to still hold the wheel with most of their fingers, the 4-finger wave requires the driver to simultaneously lift 4 fingers at once leaving only your thumb and palm of your hand to hold the steering wheel. Or perhaps, they are talking about what a great job I am doing and do not want me to be get a big head, so they stop talking when I enter the room. Yeah, that is probably it!

Other times I think they are strategizing on how to yank my chain. Like this.....I got a text saying "Can you grease the sprayer and change the sensor?", along with this picture. 

So off I go to the sprayer....
You've seen these things on the roads or in the fields. They are absolutely huge, tall, and 120' wide. So huge I bet Joe could drive his corvette under it. They just ordered one with a 132' boom which will mean more zerks! It becomes like a treasure hunt looking for all the grease fittings. Up and down the arms I go, under the belly, looking into every nook and cranny, greasing every zerk fitting I see. I'd do one side, get them all and do the other side, only to see one I didn't see on the other side. Go back to the other side and sure enough there is one. 30 minutes later I think I am done and move onto replacing that sensor. Only, I did not see the sensor on my walk around. Another treasure hunt! I am sure Bob, Chris and Dylan are hiding around the corner laughing as I search this colossal machine. I look at the picture again, and finally pinpoint the location on the picture and sure enough there is a sensor in a bag sitting there! Chris comes out and asks if I am all done. "Yes!" I say proud to have completed the job. He then walks around pointing out zerk fittings "Did you get this one?" "No". "Did you get this one?" "No".... this went on for another 5 minutes as he pointed out all the fittings I missed. 

A couple other things I've learned over the years is not to ask how many acres someone is farming. It's kinda like asking someone how much money they have in the bank. You need to find that information in a roundabout way. 

There is a brotherhood about farmers, meaning they will pretty much drop everything they are doing to help out another farmer in need. At the end of a planting or harvesting season, Farmer, Dylan and Chris will more often than not help out other farmers who need it. That said, they are also competitors so although they share some things, they do not necessarily share everything. Like if someone is thinking of selling a section of land that they are interested in, they will not mention that Mildred is thinking of selling. That, they will keep to themselves. Talk at church or other get togethers will be more about wife, kids and family rather than how much they are yielding out of a particular field. 

It is a good life indeed. Although it is hard work, it is very rewarding. So far, my body is holding up. Stiff and sore in the morning but doing well. We have been doing mostly wheat so far. Probably the most beautiful of crops but also my nemesis in my lungs and eyes. More than one morning I have had to peel my eyes open as my body tries to fight whatever the wheat does to me. 

I arrived Monday afternoon and was in a semi hauling grain within an hour. A typical day starts at 7am and so far, have not had a night that ended before 9pm. Everyone has a role and when everything goes as it should, the operation runs very smoothly. So far, my job has been to cart and drive semi. Farmer and Chris operate the combines. Bob S. (Chris's dad) was here for the first few days, he drove the cart, while Dylan and I drove semi.  

They did get a new semi tractor and trailer since I was last here. That is "Pete" in front. He has a tag axle on the tractor and triple axles and a tag on the trailer and can fit 10,000 more pounds of grain than "Wally" who is behind him. "Pete" is short for Peterbuilt, while "Wally" is short for Walmart which is where he spent most of his early days. Although I have driven Pete, I mainly drive Wally, as Pete is too new for me to touch yet. 

I put together this video showing the sequence of how everything operates.
5 people is really ideal, allowing the harvesting to continue without stopping. If one thing changes however, it becomes a little more challenging. Bob S. left a few days after my arrival (he had been here 3 weeks already), so that brought us down to 4 guys. I jumped in the cart while Dylan continued to drive semi.  Dylan was able to keep up for a while, he would drive one full semi to the farm, empty it and by the time he returned, the next truck was full and ready to go. We were keeping up pretty well but once in a while everything would be full, the two trucks and the cart. When this happens, I would jump into the second semi and haul that to the farm to unload it. Then Dylan got stung by a bee. No big deal, but Dylan is allergic. While he took care of that, we were down to three people. Farmer and Chris combining while I drove truck. (They drove the combines to the parked cart, dumping into that when they were full.) That was chaotic and there was no way to keep up. 

An hour or so later, Dylan returned looking like an Oompa Loompa, all swelled up and red. We figured he probably should not be driving semi so we switched spots, and he jumped in the cart. 

They are probably a little under 50% done and weather cooperating, everything should be in in a couple more weeks. They are very fortunate being a 3–5-man operation, allowing them to get things done relatively quickly. There are farmers out there doing all this with a one-man crew!

Although I have not gotten stuck or broken anything (yet), I did have one minor incident when I forgot to turn off the unloading auger after dumping the cart into the semi. I pulled up to Farmer and he started dumping into the cart which immediately unloaded through the shoot onto the ground. I caught it fairly quickly, not before ~600lbs of wheat was on the ground. Farmer said he was yelling at me but somehow I did not hear him from 20' away through two loud running pieces of machinery. We may as well have been miles apart. I told him next time he has to yell louder. I did not take any pictures so as the old saying goes, "If there are no pictures, it did not happen" applies here. It was our last dump of a long day. We had to go back to the farm and get a conveyor, but we had it cleaned up in no time. 

I stand corrected, Farmer just texted me this picture.....

It's blurry because we are working so fast!
To be fair, mine was not the only spill during the week but I figured one spill per post is enough. 

Here is your quiz for the week. Does anyone know what the long white device is used for? The clue is on the ground next to it. 

Meanwhile, back in South Dakota, I get these pictures from Barb. She is out having fun with some horse friends who invited her on a ride! Alan and Elizabeth have gaited horses meaning they are bred for a specific gait. Not a trot, or lope, kind of like a speedy walk but with a specific smooth gait. 


She had a blast, saying that it is incredible to get back into the hills off trail to really enjoy the beauty of the area. 

So, we are working away here, she is out there having fun. Good for her! 

I will continue my research on the inner life of the farmer. I hope you realize that I am putting my own safety in jeopardy even talking about the farmer's code. If they suspect anything I could be in serious trouble. You will know I crossed the line if I stop blogging and you happen to see a white dodge pickup with a camper on it in a line on an overgrown tree row next to a bunch of other vehicles and equipment of varying years and varying states of decomposition. I used to think these were old vehicles that just broke down and drug out to the far end of a field. I am now thinking those are the vehicles of those who talked too much. Never to be heard from again! Of course, they will wait until the end of harvest and my work is all done before they make that happen! For now, I gotta go.  I just got a text asking me to put the winter air into the combine tires!

43 comments:

  1. Welcome to the gluten intolerant club. No Wheaties for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting! Looks like a LOT of HARD work!
    Be careful about revealing their secrets! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every aspect from planting to harvesting is very interesting.

      Delete
  3. Kind of like those coyote carcasses we used to tie to bob wire fences! Ears removed because you could collect a bounty for those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a warning to all the other coyotes in the area no doubt!

      Delete
  4. We prefer Barb’s type of entertainment but keep up the good work and stay safe!
    Hopefully you return home with all your fingers and toes. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, seeing those pictures made me quite envious for sure!

      Delete
  5. I would imagine sir, that you would be used to people falling silent when you enter a room. After all you are the epitome of manhood. The perfect specimen so to speak. They should put your face on a beer can instead of that other person. You know who I mean. Maybe then the company would be thriving instead of crashing. Barb seems to be a good judge of horse flesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, I think I would look just lovely in a purple and gold dress!

      Delete
  6. Must have been a pain to have to shovel up 600 pounds of wheat...what is that, about $400 worth? Farmer Bob should have just taken it out of you pay...but then you would be owing him! lol Do you get to take any wheat home to feed the birds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like $1,000 but we were able to recover most of it. My spill was smaller than another one so while we try to avoid them, it wasn't the worst of the week!
      They save me some when they clean their grains so I have plenty for the birds. Probably 1,000 pounds or better!

      Delete
  7. Farming is hard work. The day of plows pulled by horses is what I am familiar with, a simpler time for sure. Take care out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simpler, yes, but my God, what back breaking work that would have been. I doubt I would be up here helping if that was still the case!

      Delete
  8. Man, you are doing some hard work there! Hope it all goes well. Thankful for the farmers who supply us with what we cannot grow ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as though you two are pretty self-sufficient over there! And what you cannot provide, it sounds like you neighbor probably could. It is a great way to live!

      Delete
  9. Hard at work while the wife plays--I like that idea!😁What an operation those guys have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly earned it, she has been working very hard and loves horses.

      Delete
  10. Uh oh ... you are in SO much trouble for talking about the code!! I foresee a white truck with camper hidden in the weeds. I agree ... it's hard work, but so satisfying when you're done .. if you are still alive. I also think Barb is smart as a whip ... riding a Tennessee walker (?) ... oh the smoothness of that gait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never ridden a gaited horse, only a quarter horse and Arabians which some quarter horsers do not consider horses at all!

      Delete
  11. Oh my! You do sound like you are speaking a different language. All I understood was that Barb is riding horses and having fun while you work! Smart gal! Have a good week...both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty much the gist of it. Story of my life..... I work, Barb has fun!

      Delete
  12. It looks like Barb got the better deal! I had a thoroughbred ex racehorse and loved to get up onto the moors for a good gallop until health issues put paid to that.
    I had to laugh at sneaky Farmer getting that photo of your grain spill. Ivor, my hubby watches a lot of US farming videos on You Tube. He used to do contracting until a few years ago, mostly sileaging. I think you call it chopping?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have haylage which is chopped hay and silage which is generally chopped corn. Makes me wonder why they don't call it cornage. One of the many mysteries of life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i don't understand the farmers code, perhaps it all just went right over my head, as i did read it!! i have a tremendous respect for farmers, such hard work. you too are a hard worker off the farm, all of those projects you do!! it looks like barb made out like a bandit, and you got the short end of the stick. last time i tried to get on a horse, i fell right off!! got back up on him and rode for miles. one thing i am not is a quitter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. I once got bucked off, hurt like hell, but I crawled back up only to get bucked off again. That night found me in the ER.

      Delete
  15. I think you might be living on the edge with your bold disclosures! It is fascinating though to get a peek at the farming life. Wheat fields are one of my favorite sights when we're traveling through Montana and the Dakotas, especially when there's enough breeze to get them all waving. Lucky Barb, gaited horses are usually a dream to ride, and getting to see all that beautiful back country is a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, you can see the waves blow across those fields. So beautiful.

      Delete
  16. What a fun post Jim…love the farmers code and even though you are not privy to the secret meetings, I’m sure you are much needed and appreciated. Thanks to all of you for the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My work is minimal compared to what these guys do throughout the year!

      Delete
  17. This really is fun! I enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. Hard work for sure! I've never heard of the farmer's code -- and still don't understand it. I just know I would be a terrible farmer! I saw you stop by the other day -- thanks for the visit and comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll find me somewhat satirical at times. The Farmers Code is not a real thing but more of a mythical under culture.

      Delete
  19. Farming sounds like it's full of intrigue :) My husband's cousin drives a huge combine. She once told him she has to sit on her hands because harvesting the field is all done by computer and if she touches the wheel it throws everything off. All I know about farming since day 1 is how hard our farmers work and I have the utmost respect for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While what she says is partially true, she is doing more than that driving that combine. The auto-steer does take a lot of the guesswork out of where on the field to go, the driver still has to do the rest.

      Delete
    2. I think perhaps she was being humble. To get up in one of those things was quite a workout for me. They gave me a ride and it was an amazing experience. This towny girl was in awe.

      Delete
  20. As everyone who knows knows, the only thing more dangerous than talking about the mafia is talking about the farmers. I wish you good luck, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, hopefully you will hear from me next week.
      Where have you been? We want to know how things are going in Portugal!

      Delete
  21. Your annual work trips to the farm always sound like a fun work jaunt and you sure know how to describe mishaps in a funny way. Yes its hard work and long hours, but I guess you love it. I've learned a lot about farming in your blog postings. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love it. And since I find farming so fascinating, I cannot help but write about it in the blog hoping others find it as fascinating as I do.

      Delete
  22. Both sets of my grandparents were farmers. Two things I learned when we visited them when I was very young. Everything tastes better at a farmer's dinner table. Farming is the very definition of hard work.

    God Bless Farmers.

    Keep trying to break that code, but I suspect you either already know the code or don't really want to be allowed into the "inner circle". Then what would you do for fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learn more and more about farmers every time I come up here, and you are right about food at the farmers dinner table. Everything is delicious, or we are just so hungry, we will eat just about anything!

      Delete