Sunday, September 24, 2023

What's Your Legacy?

 For six generations, over 107 years, the Finken family farms have occupied this homestead. Back in 1916 when Farmer Bob's great-great-grandfather bought this land, he had no idea the legacy his son and his descendants would leave behind. From 160 acres back in 1916, I cannot help but wonder what these previous generations think as they look down on the operation as it sits today. There is no way they could have predicted what this farm has become today. 

These are the thoughts that went through my mind as I watched Chris' youngest son sit on his lap and steer the combine as we harvest the soybeans. If you look very carefully below, you can see Calvin in a red shirt on the right side inside the combine. Although it is not a daily occurrence, it is not unusual for Chris to have one of his three boys in the combine with him making memories that will no doubt last a lifetime for these little boys. 

The boys bring toys with them. Calvin on this day brought (drum roll)..... farm toys! Tractors, combines and other farm machinery. For hours they go up and down the field, he seems perfectly content riding with dad, playing with his toys, sitting on dad's lap and learning at a young age when it means to be a farmer. 

This is the legacy Bob, DeAnne, Chris, Holly and Dylan will leave for future generations just as their ancestors left for them. Who knows how many years this will carry on or what the farm will look like 107 years from now after we are long gone. 

While many intentionally or unintentionally, leave a legacy behind, many others of us do not. Barb and I are travelers. With 6 residences in our 37-year marriage, we have never stayed in one place for more than 10 years, with several years of that be totally homeless and traveling. So, what is our legacy? If I were to answer that today, I would say it is our property and our house that we built with our own two four hands (with help of Kevin of course who is leaving a legacy of dozens of houses in Wisconsin and South Dakota). 

I have a feeling we will be here for more than 10 years, God willing, more than 20. It is nothing like the legacy being created here, but we are proud of it nonetheless. We have never been ones who felt the need to leave a permanent mark on the world. Jessica and Forrest are enough of a permanent mark for us. 

Thinking back, other than their children, I cannot think of a legacy my grandparents or parents left behind. My dad was a successful businessman who helped furnish many libraries across the Twin Cities, but I am sure most, if not all of that has been replaced over the years.  So, what would you consider your legacy? Do you even care?

But back to farming.....While breakfasts are often eaten back at the farm, lunches and suppers are eaten in the tractor or combine on the move. We usually pack a lunch, but supper is often delivered to the field by Holly. It is always a welcome sight to see her white suburban traveling across the field with what will no doubt be a delicious meal. 

We do stop once in a while though...

As you might have surmised, we got started on the soybeans this week. With almost 700 acres of beans to harvest and only two days before the forecasted rain we hit it hard going well into the night.

My role is to cart, driving the tractor next to the combine while they dump into the cart. Holly found a very funny Facebook post which accurately describes the role of the cart driver.

The rain came sooner than expected and we only got about 1/2 of the crop in before we were forced off the field. 

These beans bypassed the farm and went directly to the elevator. While I was in line at the elevator, I made another observation as I watched the farmers in the trucks ahead of me unload their grain. That observation being that I bet I could walk into any restaurant and pick out the farmers and ranchers just by how they got up from their table and took their first few steps. They all pretty much walk the same, the same way I have been walking the past few weeks. I get up, walk a few steps bent over, groan (internally or externally), and slowing straighten my back until I am walking fully upright. Farmer after farmer unloading in front of me walked the same way, although some of them, having lost their ability to stand upright, stay bent over the entire time they unload. Such is the fate of the farmer or rancher. 

This week's quiz involves Soybeans.

Which of these products come from the Soybean?

A) Soy Milk

B) Soy Sauce

C) Astro Turf 

D) Crayons

E) Hydraulic Fluids

F) Gum 

G) Spray Foam Insulation

H) All of the above.

The answer of course, is H: All of above. Who knew?!?!?

A few days before that, before the beans were ready, I was in the field harrowing. Harrowing involves pulling a 70' drag of sorts that lifts the residue from a harvested field making it easier to plant the next year. It is best done on a dry, windy day to blow the residue away. Here is a short video of what that looks like. 

Pretty boring, I know, but I actually enjoy going back and forth through the field at about 9mph. Speedy compared to the 2mph for Canola and 5-6mph for beans. The monitor said I did about 700 acres over two days, but I don't think it was that much as there is some overlap. 


Row, by row, I go across the field listening to the radio, watching the hawks dive on the mice that scatter as I approach. There are sometimes 10-12 hawks withing 100 yards of me scooping up the mice. It is interesting how they have learned that a tractor going across the field means food. I will try to get some pictures of them one of these times. 

But then, the rains came 5 days so far since I took that first picture. 5 days out of the field. We've been doing some cleaning and organizing, but overall, it has been pretty quiet around the farm. 
This is the view outside my camper this morning. By the time we get back into the field, it will probably at least a full week of down time. 
It will be a month tomorrow since I have seen my Barbie. I hope it dries up soon, there is more work to do!

53 comments:

  1. With a tricky back all I have to do to walk like a farmer is wash my truck or 5th wheel! 🥴 Always learning something new and interesting on your farming blogs. Farmer Bob is lucky to have such a dedicated friend. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you are saying that I would take you for a retired farmer if I were to be driving through a campground and see you get up from washing your 5th wheel. There is only one problem with that. Farmers never retire!

      Delete
    2. I am very lucky and blessed to have a true friend like Jim. So much so that I brought him donuts again.

      Delete
    3. I can be bribed with donuts just about any day!

      Delete
    4. Good one Bob…I’ll have to remember that. I hear tater tots works on Jim as well! 🤣

      Delete
    5. Mmmm, loaded tater tots with sour cream or ranch!

      Delete
  2. Soy beans are a valuable ingredient in many parts of our everyday life, thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soybeans certainly are one of those crops that you take for granted in everyday life. That is, until you realize everything it is used in!

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I am sure the young boys and maybe girls enjoy going on for rides on the tractor.
    The children learn more about farming at a young age. Having dinner delivered to your tractor reminds me of Ree Drummond on the cooking show Pioneer Woman, she would make food for all the farm workers and her husband and deliver to wherever they were working on the farm. Happy Sunday, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that is exactly how it happens. Chris lets Holly know what field we are on and pretty soon, here comes the white Suburban! We are usually in different parts of the field, so she chases us down and make her delivery!

      Delete
  4. I’ve said it over and over and will say again how much I appreciate the hard work of farmers and friends of farmers like you…”Thank you!”. I do enjoy your posts from the farm…the family, the equipment, the extremely long hours and hard work and the products harvested are so important in our/everyone’s daily lives.

    No legacy here unless you count the 800+ 5 and 6 year olds I taught to read…hopefully most/some of them have/will use it to better their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over 800+ students is definitely a legacy! You know more than one looks back at you as having a significant impact on their lives.

      Delete
  5. I love it! Love the legacy! Love the wee lad weeing! 😄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a profound topic of thought today. It is like a writing assignment in creative literature. What will be your legacy? Mine is easy. A year after I am gone, the world will never even know I was there. But like you said, we have our children to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not even gone and I am trying to forget you! Sadly, as hard as I try, it is not possible.

      Delete
  7. I take a deep breath when people say Farmers have it easy. I remember helping my grandfather when the equipment was not so easy to use, or as efficient.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your Legacy.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easier than it used to be but still not easy. It would be interesting if everyone had to work on a farm or a ranch for a season to see what it is all about.

      Delete
  8. When I visited South Dakota I was surprised at how far one can see. It's as beautiful as trees and mountains. And who knew soybeans were used for so many products. I don't think anyone grows them here. Speaking of legacies, I think sometimes it is the stories of our lives we share with our families that are what we leave, and in many ways, that is enough. Happy new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with New Hampshire crops, but I am guessing corn for sure! There are places out here that you can see for miles and miles. Others, only a few hundred yards. But I know what you mean, the forests out there probably limit your views to less than a mile in most places.

      Delete
  9. That was a deep subject for a blog--not sure about our legacy. I too like reading about what goes in to operating a farm of that size. Mike said he was driving the tractor on the ranch by about age 8. And he drove a 2 horse team at about that age too. I bet you are ready to see Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to imagine an 8-year-old handling a team of horses. They must have been well trained horses otherwise I would think they would be handling the 8-year-old!

      Delete
  10. Always enjoy reading about the farm operation. Love the little guy watering the field!! Too funny. Hope he doesn't go to school and water the playground!. Hope everything dries out soon so you can get back to Barb and home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So if I did my Genealogy Calculations correctly, that young child in red watering the soy beans, whose mother is Farmer Bob's daughter, is the Fourth Great Grandson of the first Ancestor who bought the Homestead over 100 years ago! As for my legacy, I do have a Public Library in Arkansas named after me (Dave Burdick Watson Chapel Library), something the Library Board gifted me upon my retirement back in 2012 for the 'hard work' that I did in making the Public Libraries in Jefferson County better. But I think the real legacy came from the legacy that my parents, their parents, their parents before them had, and that was teaching their children the value of work and all that goes with it along with serving others. Much of this is hard to find in the world we live in today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to trust you on your genealogy, but yes, Cal is Farmer Bob's daughter's son.
      That is quite the honor to have a library named after you!

      Delete
  12. What an amazing legacy from your ancestors to your own descendents. Brought up in a foster family I have no roots such as you describe so I am always fascinated by stories such as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although they feel like family, this legacy is not mine. I know a little about genealogy, but I wish I knew more myself.

      Delete
  13. Another fascinating look at modern farming! A testimony to the hard work of generations on that farm. I hope the rain stops soon and the harvest continues.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as though the rain has stopped but with all this moisture and the overcast skies, it will probably be a few more days until we can get back in the fields.

      Delete
  14. I live in the east where the farms are not so big, but we I do see a lot of soybean fields. My husband and I were just discussing how soybeans are used as we drove by a field the other day. I will share with him your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were some of the more obscure uses that I could find. I sure there are hundred more, but I found these pretty interesting.

      Delete
  15. Very interesting post. We are farming 200 acres that my husband's maternal many great grandparents purchased in 1859. I suspect it ends with us, and our legacy will be a subdivision. We have no children and the nephews aren't interested. My personal legacy will be the thousands of articles I wrote for the local newspaper over 35 years. Someday someone will be looking up something historical and note my byline. But that, and the house we built ourselves on the farm, will be all we leave behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The newspaper articles are quite the legacy! As is the family acreage. We had some acreage in Wisconsin that we sold a few years ago which is being subdivided into housing as well.

      Delete
  16. Boring? Oh heck no ... unless your tractor is on auto-pilot. It takes skill!! I have to laugh because my chiropractor told me my back was curved. Yeah ... it's from farming and dragging horses behind me for 60 years. Cowboys and farmers walk just alike!! Good work by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has auto-steer but I still have to turn around. Does that count for anything?

      Delete
  17. A legacy is a difficult thing.. from where I come from it is/was tradition that the son take over the father's business.. even if its a tiny hole in the wall shop.. and generations reaped the benefits of this. But with travel and leaving the country for education etc so many son's feel obligated to take over the family business because the dad and his dad before him created the business for just that reason.. to see his son take over one day. I have seen son's love the tradition, son's squash their dreams to do what is right and son's go out into the world to make their own mark leaving father's disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see both sides of that tradition. I sure it is hard on both the father and the son if he does not want to take over the family business.
      That said, a person should be able to follow their own dreams whether that means taking over the family business or doing something else.

      Delete
  18. What a post, Jim. So much to think about here. As for legacy, I have been on this same land for 48 years. I have established what my family call the homepage. My hope is to leave it to my grandchildren, assuming I don't have to sell for health or financial reasons. Beyond land, though, I hope I leave a legacy of self-sufficiency, and of values and ethics. And of respect for and love of nature.
    The hours you have spent on this farm is just astounding. All that work! Blessings on the farmers!
    That pic of the little boy peeing is just priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nonmaterial legacy you speak of is priceless. No one can ever take that away from them!

      Delete
  19. i think my sons are my legacy, can that be a thing? probably not!! i always told them them, i am not going to be rich or famous...no one is really going to remember i was here, but you guys will. you will be strong, honest men that will carry on the family name. we had those talks many times and i am proud of both of them!! we had a family business, earthwork and underground utilities, neither were interested in carrying on with that, so we sold everything, they will receive that money!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your children can definitely be your legacy. For better or worse. Yours sound like pretty good kids who listened to their parents growing up.

      Delete
  20. Wow. This blog was deep and created many deep comments. Some comments almost brought tears and touched my soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not intend for it to be deep. It was just an observation and thought as I was watching young Cal with his dad.

      Delete
  21. I loved this post of yours. Going to give hubby a look. Those legacies that our ancestors leave are awe inspiring. Thought you might like to take a look at a few of our photos from ND. I truly feel in awe of what our farming families across the nation have done for this country, and feel blessed that I was able to see a little part of that legacy on our visits to ND.

    https://anenglishgirlrambles2016.blogspot.com/search/label/North%20Dakota

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the link to your North Dakota posts! I bet those bring back special memories for you guys. It is incredible who those first to break up the land did to make this tillable farmland.

      Delete
  22. I haven't thought about a legacy. I only know I have always hoped that if anyone thinks of me that they would smile and maybe even chuckle. That they would have positive thoughts and good memories. My son, the love of his life, and their two kids are my legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a legacy to be proud of! I doubt many will remember me beyond our kids and occasionally the grand kids. But I am happy and content, and I am good with that!

      Delete
  23. It's interesting that 100 years ago people likely didn't see their lifestyle as leaving a legacy, they just hoped to stay solvent long enough to pass the land and production to their kids. Looking back those kids, grands and greats see they are the legacy. With the loss of family farms and businesses those legacy opportunities are few and far-between these days. I come from a family of educators and my two sons are voracious readers, loving the written word, both fiction and non. Having never lived anywhere more than seven years my whole life, if I leave a legacy it will be the joy of immersing oneself in stories. Thanks for making me think about it :-) Soooooo many soy beans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree with you more, the hardworking farmers of yesteryear thought nothing of leaving a legacy. I think the same holds true today, most are just trying to make it by year to year.

      Delete