Saturday, February 3, 2024

A Week of Firsts

 Like the passage of sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives. 

Those words came to me as I sat down to write this post. Why? I have no idea, but I do remember where those words came from. That is (was?) the intro to the soap opera Days of our Lives. Yes, it's true, I used to watch soap operas. I didn’t have a choice really; it was forced on to me as a child. You see, when I was in high school, we lived across the street from the school. Well, not across the street exactly, but one street from across the street and I used to go home for lunch. We weren’t supposed to leave the grounds, but the parking lot monitors were not very attentive, or very smart. Whenever I got caught, I would say that I had a dentist appointment and even mumble it, so it sounded like my mouth was still full of novacane. Like I said, they were not the brightest, or just did not care. 

At home, mom would always be watching soap operas. Days of our Lives and General Hospital, and I would watch while I had my lunch. I remember having a crush on Laura and was aghast at how Luke treated her. Don’t know for a fact, but I think, 40 something years later they are both still on General Hospital. How is that possible? 

At any rate, the days are passing on this, our great winter adventure, a week of many firsts!

Our first first of the week was when we arrived at Everglades National Park. We left Long Point Park campground; we headed south to Long Pine Key campground in the Everglades National Park. No hook ups at all, the nightly fees are between $33-$60 depending on the day of the week. This is our first time visit to this National Park, making it our 21st NP that we have visited since retiring. 

Our first day there was hot, mid 80’s, and with no hook ups at all, we did not dare leave the girls unattended in the camper. Instead, we drove around the park with the AC on taking in the sights. Zoey wanted to see an alligator and get her picture taken with one, but alas, we did not see one that day. What we did see was a very unique and different area. I wonder what the first settlers thought of this area when they arrived. They probably thought "Damn, there is a lot of bugs here!"

Barb spent 3 days scratching her arms raw like a drug addict going through remission, but now her bug bites are much better. A week later, mine are still itching like crazy! This was another first, the first time bugs have attacked me worse than her. Both of my legs and arms look like this. 

Sunday afternoon we headed back into Homestead to hit a brewery and watch the football games. Again, being so hot, we needed to find someplace that was dog friendly as we could not leave them in the camper. The first place we stopped at was packed. They allowed dogs and they had the game on, but there were dozens of kids there. And to top it off the kids were signing korokke. No one wants to hear that! 

So off we went to the next one. It too was full of screamers. We decided to just find a quite parking lot with a breeze and watch the games in the back of the camper. We watched the last ½ of the first game, the Chiefs won! Then we watched the first ½ of the Lions/49’ers game. I wanted the Lions to win, they were well ahead when we left but with no internet service it was another day before I learned that they lost to the 9'ers. 

The weather had cooled down quite a bit that night making for perfect sleeping weather. I love days in the 60’s and cool nights. To me, these are the perfect days. Floridians beg to differ. With the cooler temps we were able to get out on a couple hikes and leave the girls in the camper. Dogs are not allowed on the trails here. 

Our first hike was the Anhinga Trail out of the Royal Palms visitors center. This is a nice boardwalk hike through the marsh area filled with birds and a few gaters. 

We then walked the Gumbo Limbo trail through the dense vegetation. The root systems on some of these trees were incredible!


We still had time left in the day, so we headed into Homestead to check out Biscayne National Park (22nd). 

Unbeknownst to us, Biscayne NP is almost all water with very little on shore. In fact, they only had one hiking trail, a boardwalk along the water. 

The following morning, we headed even further south to meet up with friends and fellow bloggers Shawn and Kim. We had met them once in Quartzsite in 2017 and had not seen them since then. They were fulltime RV'ing at the time as well, but now they are fulltime sailing. Very cool lifestyle. If you want to follow their blog, you can do so here. 

They were moored at the Marathon City Marina and were able to get us a parking pass for the night. We spent the afternoon with them playing bocci ball for the first time. I can see playing that again. 

We then experienced our next first. Our first time grilling steaks on a sailboat. We all rode out to The Shift on their dingy. That was an experience in itself! Luckily, it had cooled down enough that the girls were able to stay in the camper with the windows open. 

We spent a few hours on their boat, catching up, grilling steaks and having a slice of key lime pie for dessert. Before we knew it, it was time to have Shawn dingy us back to the camper where we said our goodbyes with the hopes of catching up with them somewhere down the road, or ocean. 

The next morning, we had a short 30-minute drive down to Big Pine Key to our friends Dan (Hutch) and Mary's. Dan and I had met up at Pasha in Ontario several years ago and have seen each other several times over the years up there. Dan is a hunter extraordinaire, so we have a lot in common and lots of stories to tell. 

They have a place there in the Key's as well as a remote island cabin up in Alaska. Those two are living the life! We were only able to spend one evening with Mary as she was flying out the next morning to see her son. 

Two firsts right away upon arriving in Big Pine. Besides being our first time here, it was also our first time seeing Key Deer. They are endangered, but seem to be thriving in this area walking right up to you and eating out of your hand. 

These things are so small! A big Key Deer will be about 50lbs. For comparison, Zoey is 25 and Dakota is 85. 

Our two days there consisted of fishing and eating fish and fishing some more! Their place is right on a canal, so they can park their boat in front of their house, jump in, and be out in the ocean in a matter of minutes.

Headed up the canal

 The first day we went south to a reef 7 miles out. Hutch as twin 150's on his boat, so it did not take long to get out there at all. Our target fish for the day was Porgies. I have never heard of them let alone caught one before. But catch them we did! Dozens of porgies!

Cooler full of porgies!

We deep fried them that night, they were very good. The next day we headed 10 miles out to another reef in search of Yellowtail Snapper. Another first for us. When we pulled up to the reef, we were in 50' of water and the water was so clear, you could see the bottom as though it was 10'. Incredible.

We put out a chum bag which the tide takes, then you fish in the chum line. I will tell you right now, those things are fighters! You would see 50-60 of them darting in the chum line. Sooner or later one would bite the piece that has your squid and hook on it and away they would go. 

When Barb and I catch a fish in fresh water, we usually reel it in slowly, enjoying the fight before landing the fish. When we hooked in into one of these yellowtails, Dan would just yell at us "Reel fast, faster, faster!". We had no idea why he wanted us to reel them in so quickly until we realized why he wanted us to reel them in so quickly. All of a sudden, the reel would stop bringing line in and start taking line out the other way. Dan would say "He got ya". I had no idea what that mean until I fought what was on my line now, not budging it. A shark. 

This happened to us about 6 times where we would get the fish half way to the boat and a shark would take it. We were reeling as fast as we could, but those sharks were fasters. I would guess them at 6' long. We got a pretty good look at a few of them as they would follow our fish right up to the boat. Barb had one yellowtail on, then a shark got it, she fought it for a while, then she got the yellowtail back, well most of it. 

Despite the sharks, we managed to get enough for supper. These we grilled with some seasoning and were even better than the porgies the night before! 

We had a great two days in Big Pine, Dan and Mary were great hosts and provided us with a lot of "firsts" that we will never forget. But alas, it is time to move on. 

This stop marks what we are considering our halfway mark of our trip. We now turn north and are headed to Fort Myer's where more adventures await. Hopefully our lives will be soap opera free, filled with more fish, fun and firsts!

73 comments:

  1. Well, you lost me at screaming kids, and then the bugs! The gators are worrisome. Then, the sharks! Oh my. What an adventure! I like the winter break from bugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of positives about living north. I love how is cleanses the landscape, kills the bugs, and keeps most of the riffraff down south.

      Delete
  2. What a week and what a post, screaming kids and bugs are part of a happy life your photos showed happiness and that I like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,I realize that those parents are out making memories with their kids, so we try to stay away so part of their memories is not a grumpy old man giving them dirty looks!

      Delete
  3. What a fun bunch of firsts, except for all your bug bites ;)
    Florida is on our list for this summer's travels. We have never been to the Everglades and Fran would like to feed the mosquitos, but I'd like to find a repellent that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only ran into a few skeeters, but I imagine in the summer they will be thick! I bet you will see a lot more gaters in the summer as well. It was rather cool, so we only saw a few.

      Delete
  4. It was so great having you guys come by for a visit. I hope we can see you in South Dakota one day. Keeping your fish away from sharks does add an element of difficulty to fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. Not only do you have the challenge of trying to hook a fish, but then just trying to get it to the boat is a challenge in itself!
      Great seeing you guys, thanks for the awesome day.

      Delete
  5. My grandmother got me hooked on Days of Our Lives and General Hospital for a while when she lived with us. I remember Grandpa Horton saying at the opening, "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives." You are getting a good tour around Florida, but all of the bugs sound horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa Horton was on that show for almost 30 years! You think they would get tired of it, but I suppose it becomes routine like any other job.

      Delete
  6. I know Laura and Luke and they are about all I know. In my first year of teaching, either at lunch or right after school, Sue would have that SOAP on. Neither of us watched before and after.

    BTW, do any kids anywhere ever come home for lunch now?

    Also BTW, you and your friends seem to be having a very good winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if kids even bring their own lunches anymore. It would be interesting to spend a day in the life of a high school student right now. Things sure have changed in a generation.

      Delete
  7. You gotta be careful as to how close your dogs get to any shore line...even small ponds might be harboring a Gator. We had Gators up in Arkansas, but in the numbers that they are found here in Florida. As for Sharks...Marcia said that sharks hang out along the Sandbars of some of the famous beaches not far from where we live. You will never catch me out in the gulf waters around here, that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see those haters hanging out in the tall grass waiting for an unsuspecting pup to wander by. That would be horrible.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed the Everglades when I visited there a few years back. Those bug bites look pretty itchy though. And your fishing photos make me ready to go fishing, but since we only salt water fish, it will probably be May or June before that will be happening. So I did enjoy your photos. And my grandmother used to watch Days of Our Lives. I remember the big wave breaking over the rocks in the beginning sequence. Have fun in Fort Meyers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't remember the opening scene until you mentioned it. We hope to continue to fish our way up the coast, so hopefully there will be more fish pictures to come!

      Delete
  9. Ooooh yellowtail. YUM!! Yes, everyone says go to Florida, but I'm not a fan of bugs, and like you, I'm at the behest of my pup. Too hot, can't go. Too cold, can't go. No dogs, can't go ... you know the drill. Also yes, I watched Days of our Lives for years. You could miss it for three months and catch up in one episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! You could probably watch it a year later and catch up in one episode. I sometimes wondered what the life one one of those actors is like w having to put out an episode a day.

      Delete
  10. What a fun adventure of firsts! That was some bite the shark took out of the yellowtail Barb is holding…yikes! And grilling steaks on a sailboat…an awesome first! Looking forward to next weeks adventures…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan offered to set up a shark rig so we could could try and catch one, but he said he would not reel and it might take us a couple hours to get it in.

      Delete
  11. What fun you had fishing, good luck to you all.
    Oh I remember Days of Our Lives, if I recall it came to Australia in about 1968, watched the first episode and continued watching mostly on more than off - due to work commitments until the channel that broadcast it stop, it went to a pay TV serice after that and haven't watched it for years.
    Lovely photos. Dogs can be a problem when travelling at times - we had our dog stay here at home as our eldest son looked after him and even took him to work each day (he could), we were often gone for 3 to 4 months at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fishing was a blast! Dan and Mary were great hosts letting us stay in their driveway and taking us out like that.

      Delete
  12. Yep, the bugs can be bad, but at least you had good weather. Nice sailboat your friends have. We're heading south to Marco Island today for a week, but it looks like we might get some rain. Have fun on the west coast! (Yum to the yellow snapper.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are supposed to get wet here the next couple of days too. The weather has been perfect the past few days so a few hours of rain won't be too bad.
      Have fun on Marco!

      Delete
  13. Hello,
    Sounds like you are having a fun time in Florida. The Everglades Nat'l Park is great, I enjoyed seeing a lot of birds there. The Key deer are cute critters. My mother was a big fan of Days, it is still on Peacock now. Great fish catches, it had to be exciting trying to reel those fish in before the sharks ate them. Safe and happy travels. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The literature says that there are 350 different species of birds in the Everglades. We saw maybe a dozen. I am guessing in the summer there are a lot more. What we did see were interesting though!

      Delete
  14. Those look like some nasty bug bites! I don’t recall having a bug issue when we were in the area…maybe because it was Dec/Jan. Those deer are similar to our fallow deer on Sidney Island. Years ago I got a limited entry draw to hunt one. I ended up with only 20 lbs of sausage! What a blast you guys must of had on those fishing trips! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen deer that small. I have to admit, I did think they looked tasty!

      Delete
  15. What fun, well, except for those bug bites! I'm glad the weather cooled so you could enjoy Florida! We've never made it that far south in Florida. My grandparents watched soap operas at lunch time--must have been the times. Sharks, alligators, bugs--Florida is trying to tell you something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are really enjoying this cooler weather, as are the girls. It could never get higher than 70 and we would be perfectly fine!

      Delete
  16. Those bug bites, wow! I like Florida, but have never been in places like that. Don't think I would like it! Lots of great adventures, Jim, thanks for taking us along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed reading your adventures - bugs - friends - sites - alligators. You have an interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know how much time we have on this earth, have to have fun while we can!

      Delete
  18. Wow...you are out and about and looking like you are having a great time, except for the bug bites. I am so allergic to pollen but also my skin is sensitive that a fly can fly by me, and the breeze that it makes will cause me to itch and I will end up with sores! It is important that I cover myself in a thick lotion a couple times a day. I feel for you with the bites....OUCH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez, that sounds horrible! I will no longer complain about my little bites. Who am I kidding, of course I will!

      Delete
  19. Do you remember when we thought our parents didn’t know much either? Maybe those folks watching knew you would go hungry if you didn’t go home for lunch or maybe they enjoyed a respite from annoying smart mouthed children….or maybe they knew you needed to get home to watch your soaps…..lol
    I noticed that leg was hairless, I didn’t know you shaved your legs. Lol. That is a ridiculous amount of bites. Try a wipe soaked in vinegar, it may help the itching, or even a little baking soda mixed with water to make a paste that is smeared on there until it dries might help. Of course that is usually used for less bites but…
    So many firsts, good for you guys. Be very careful of the dogs and gators. Gators are very fast and you would be surprised how far from the water you might find them in the grass.
    We are happy to hear you managed to spend time with friends, always fun!
    Continued safe travels.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought we knew everything our son was up to, but then he told us stories that we knew nothing about! I had to go back and look at that leg picture, it does look totally hairless. Nair, it helps be glide through the water when I am swimming with the sharks.
      I did find something that helps the itching quite by accident. Hand sanitizer, stops the itching for a while at least!

      Delete
  20. What a great time you are having, except the bites, those are horrible!! You are having a lot of firsts :) That's ridiculously expensive camping at Everglades! Do they honor the America the Beautiful Senior Pass? Looks like some bad weather the next few days there according to the weather guessers. Hopefully not! Can't wait to see where your next adventure takes you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They honor the pass for entry into the park, but not for the camping. That is actually some of the cheapest camping we have found. There was one state park on the keys that was $130/night and some private parks were $300!

      Delete
  21. Besides the bugs, what fun! Cool fishing! I also watched Days for maaaany years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two need to get back this way to do some fishing. Even Steve could catch fish out here!

      Delete
  22. In competition with sharks is quite an experience!
    Wow to y'all's adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly added another element to the fishing adventure!

      Delete
  23. Well, one thing is for sure, you guys are great fishermen/woman. No matter what kind of fish or where, you get them! You know being able to live on a boat and RV is making the best of two different worlds. As for the soaps, I have no idea what you are talking about, as I have never watched them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, you did not miss much not watching those soaps. As for the fishing. That surf fishing has us stumped so far, but we will try again someday!

      Delete
  24. The fishing sounds wonderful! The bugs…not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Real world experiences make the traveling life the adventure it always is! I could do without the bugs who always love me and ignore Bill, but I'm sorry we never got to the Everglades! Love the Marathon area for seeing wildlife and eating good food :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenges make the good times that much better. You two would love the Everglades.

      Delete
  26. A week of incredible firsts, indeed.

    The fishing experience sounds great. Of course, now I gotta go fishing to feed my addiction for fresh fried fillets.

    Gini apologizes for being late reading your blogs and says if you're still itching, Benadryl may help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those yellowtails were so delicious! We are headed out crappie fishing in a few days, hope to get a few more fillets.
      I talk a Benadryl each night before bed, that seems to help a little.

      Delete
  27. Believe it or not but I fished out in the ocean when we were deployed to Panama, the country. I caught a couple of Bone fish and a Puffer fish. The bone fish fought better than any fresh water fish its size or larger. It wanted to pull you into the water. The puffer fish you didn't even know was on there until it was in the boat. Sounds like good times all around. Is Barb that tasty that the bugs love her? Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb is just that sweet, that the bugs love her. It was crazy how an 18" saltwater fish fights compared to a freshwater fish the same size. No comparison.

      Delete
  28. Hey strangers!! Gosh that's awesome you have been to so many National Parks!!

    Me, Jeff and the kiddos are leaving next Saturday for Florida! We will be at The Villages, Orlando and going to Cocoa Beach for the first time! I'm a little nervous to stay 10 days with the kiddos lol. Wish us luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you! That sounds like a blast. The weather should be perfect and a nice break from your Wisconsin weather, although I hear it's been nice up there. Wish we were going to be in that area to see you. Wethink of you guys often!

      Delete
  29. You guys always inspire me with your amazing adventures...keep on keeping on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh dear you took me down memory lane with this one. Our little dysfunctional family lived in the Fort Lauderdale area for a decade of my childhood. I hate Florida, hahahah! The bugs, the heat, the sand ... I just hate it BUT I have happy memories of, when I was in third or fourth grade, coming home from school every day and watching General Hospital and Music Scene while eating a sandwich of peanut butter and apple jelly washed down with orange juice. It was on GH that I first heard the name Audrey -- remember Nurse Audrey, a pretty blonde, who went with Dr. Hardy (I think)? She is the reason our second daughter is named Audrey. And later, after I was married, I checked back in to GH a few times and got rather hooked on the thing between Luke and Laura. Are they REALLY still on that show, hahaa? Amazing. I just looked it up -- Genie Francis is only 61 years old so she was still a teenager when I watched that. Wow it doesn't seem possible! I also despise fishing because I was forced to do it all the time and I had to clean the stupid things and just yuk. But it looks like y'all rolled with it and had a marvelous time, and I am so glad. And I've never heard of porgies but they are cute and I know those snapper were delicious. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew that that little post would bring back so many memories for you. We really enjoy fishing, when it comes to cleaning and cooking, I generally do that, but Barb can take her own dish off.

      Delete
  31. Looks like you're having a ball in Florida. I have so many fond memories of time spent there in our condo on Longboat Key and camping in Beluga. But.....oh those bugs! Your leg photo made me shudder. Sunscreen and bug spray, bug spray and sunscreen -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really beautiful area. A condo down in that area would be awesome!

      Delete
  32. it looks like this trip is ending nicely!! you are right about the soap opera, days of our lives, i use to watch and remember luke and laura very well!! have i mentioned i don't love fishing, i think it is because i never caught anything. have you ever seen the little boy on instagram who is fishing....come on fishy come on, come on fishy come on, just take the "fin" bait!! so funny, that's me!! barb on the other hand is a real trooper, she catches a lot of fish!!

    you guys sure do have a lot of friends!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen that little boy on Instagram, I will have to look for that.

      I never considered us as having lots of friends, but we seeing friends at every one of our stops so maybe we do!

      Delete
  33. That is a great fish haul. Ugh Barb's legs don't look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because those are my legs, and no, I do not shave them!

      Delete
  34. Yes you do have a lot of friends. I loved the yellowtail and shark stories. That adventure had me laughing. I had to share Barb's picture with Jerry. She is tenacious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That chewed up yellowtail is a story to tell for sure. She will be telling that story for years to come!

      Delete
  35. Hello :=)
    I have never been to Florida but have heard a lot about the everglades and the wildlife, especially the alligators. What I have done is fish on large and small boats and reeled quite a few fish in. It's a fabulous sport and that first fish catch is so exciting and the reward of eating it so satisfying. Your photos are proof of this. You can tell you are enjoying yourselves, also meeting up with friends along the way made more great memories. I'm sorry about your bites, I believe some people are more prone to being bitten than others. My late husband never got bitten, whilst the mosquitoes, stung me even through my clothes. Great post!
    All the best
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love birding in Florida!
      It is usually Barb who is the one who gets bit while in an generally unaffected. This time, not so much.

      Delete
  36. Thank you. You are on a great journey.
    I have to say, sailing for a living sounds pretty wonderful too...
    Many kind regards from Viola.
    I enjoy reading your posts. We have fished many times in Norway...there is nothing better than freshly caught fish that is freshly prepared...wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some great trout areas over your way I would love to fish! Alas, that will probably never happen so we will continue to enjoy ourselves over here.

      Delete
  37. Forty years ago we were living in northern PA and John was able to walk home for lunch in the summer. He was the Assistant Principal. He ended up watching Days of Our Lives With Me. Good to know you were watching, too! Now you understand why I said I would never return to FL again! Those no-see-ums are the WORST! So glad you had so many firsts. Lots of fun for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the state and what it has to offer us from an outdoor perspective. If we can figure out this bug thing, we'll definitely be back.

      Delete