Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Goodbye Florida

Traveling now for 9 weeks is a little bittersweet. We are still enjoying see the sights, our friends and family, but we are also missing our home. When we get a little homesick, we will pull up the cameras and see what is going back in South Dakota. We had this visitor the other day.

How’s my cough you ask? Horrible. Week 3, some days I feel like I am getting better and only have an attack a couple times throughout the day. But then at night when I try to lay down it really hits. Hacking so much I get dizzy. My lovely wife bought some Vicks Vapor rub that she lovingly applies to my chest each night while quietly singing Soft Kitty ala Big Bang Theory. If you are unfamiliar with this scene, you can watch it here. The only difference between Barb doing it and Penny is near the end of the song, although Barb was still singing, she had stopped rubbing. When I opened my eyes, she was holding a pillow at both ends hovering inches from my face with a rather scary look in her eyes. 

Thank God, we have tolerant friends in Dan, Jeannie, Liz and Mike who still wanted to hang out with us despite my coughing.

Dan and I got out fishing two more times. This time on a large lake up near Gainesville. We left early each morning trying to get the morning bite on crappies.

Our plan was to fish the flooded timber around the lake, and I do not mean going along the edge and casting into the timber, I mean going into the timber and fishing amongst the trees. This was a first for both of us. When I saw the impenetrable wall of Spanish moss and trees the first thing, I thought of were spiders and snakes that were no doubt lying in wait for some unsuspecting fisherman to get too close. 

As we approached the trees and started pushing through the moss, I was constantly on the lookout for both. We would push through, fish an area for 20-30 minutes, go back out to the open water, go down the shore and find another area to push through. Sure enough, I soon saw a snake lay on a branch as we approached. No way, not going through that hole! 

The waters were only 1-2' deep in there, but that did not matter to the fish, as we’d pick up one in this spot, 3 or more in the next. By noon both days we had about 20 nice fatties to take home with us!

Day 1
Day 2
These two outings would serve as the last of our fishing adventures on this trip, but we sure had a lot of fun between the surf fishing on the east coast, ocean fishing in the keys and this lake fishing on the gulf side. 

While we were doing this, Barb and Jeanie were on their own adventures doing whatever girls do while their men are fishing. One day they went on a farm tour on the outskirts of Ocala. They said that although the farms themselves were interesting, the guide was not very good.

Another day they went swimming in the Rainbow River. Now that looks like fun!

One evening we bought a 1/2 bushel of fresh oysters. The only way we like them is grilled on the 1/2 shell. Our first challenge was shucking a couple hundred oysters without cutting our hands up with these oyster knives. 

Once they were shucked and laid out on cookie sheets, we applied toppings to them. Garlic/parm, various hot sauces, bacon. We ate about 20 each and had oyster belly by the end of the meal. 

Dan and Jeanie have two labs: Star and Sally. All the dogs got along well, with no incidents. 

We spent our last night in the area back over at Mike and Liz’s giving Zoey and Dakota one last playdate with Tux.  

The next morning, we loaded a hood and grill from Mike’s jeep that he asked us to deliver to a friend in Apalachicola. Since that was our next destination and the parts were to be delivered to a bar his friend owned, we were more than happy to! We arrived at Belle's Winery and Saloon midafternoon and met the owner, Mel. Super nice person, if you are ever in the area, stop by Belle's.

Barb and I with Mel

This destination also included the first campground we had stayed at in quite a while. And believe me, we needed it. We had not dumped our tanks since we were in Everglades NP many, many days ago. The Tate's Hell State Forest Cash Creek campground is a quiet little park within the Apalachicola National Forest. At $23 a night W/E, it offers a nice, quiet place to hang your head for the night. 

The next day we drove across the bridge to check out St. George Island and the state park. The beaches on the park are beautiful, but not dog friendly. Barb and I walked one beach and it was just loaded with sea shells.

We did find a beach outside the park that was dog-friendly, so we were able to get the girls out for a walk on the beach before we went to lunch at the Blue Parrot right along the waterfront. 


We knew our friends Dino and Lisa had spent some time here a few weeks ago and when I saw this gentleman metal detecting on the beach, we thought perhaps Dino was back to try to find more treasures.

 

It was then that I noticed this guy did not have a Busch Light in his other hand, so it definitely was not Dino. 

Our favorite stop in the area was the Chestnut Street Cemetery. This was by far, the most rundown cemetery we have visited with many headstones turned over. Maintenance had fallen way, way behind. 

The cool thing about this cemetery was the pamphlet at the entrance highlighting many of the gravesites within the cemetery. This is the first time we have run into this and found it very interesting. 

Following this pamphlet really added an interesting element to our visit, bringing history and context to many of the sites. Like these two; Louisa Bruni and Frank Messina whose story goes like this:
Although Louisa (7) was a year older, Frank Messina (8) was her uncle, the youngest brother of Louisa's mother. The two were playing on the dock (in 1882) when Louisa fell into the river. Frank jumped in to save her, but her struggles caused him to drown also. When their bodies were found her arms were wrapped around his neck.
The Messina family experienced another tragedy a few years later when 11-year-old Clarence Joseph Messina was playing on a dock and fell in and drown in 1901.
Then there is Charles Marks, a seaman and ship's captain. His house was burnt down by the Union Navy during the war and was accused of murder for the killing of two Union sympathizers.
There were dozens of child and infant sites where children succumbed to Yellow Fever.

There were dozens of stories listed in the pamphlet, but I will leave you with Marie Hickey who was married to Patrick. Both of their lives came to an end in October 1907 when Marie slashed Patrick's throat above a store on Market Street. Marie then cut her own throat. 
It is unknown what caused Marie to do this, but I would not be surprised if Patrick had a hacking cough and she just had had enough!

This stop brought our Florida adventures to an end, now we are off to Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky where more adventures await!

79 comments:

  1. Don’t blame you a bit for being nervous fishing amongst the trees. Quite the bounty of fish though so well worth it. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not done that well crappie fishing in years, it was so fun to get out and catch a few.

      Delete
  2. Maybe with your cough you are a COVID long hauler? The cemetery was interesting. If I had my choice of being around live people and dead people, I would choose the dead. Live people just talk too much. At least with dead people you can get a word in. Maybe with your cough, you have the beginnings of the zombie virus? When you look at Barb, do you have the urge to eat her? Don't answer that! Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could very well be a long hauler, spreading joy everywhere I go. I highly doubt it though. I have talked to over a dozen people who seem to have the same thing and have been to the doctor who said they just need to let it go through its cycle. So tiring though!

      Delete
  3. Sorry about your cough. More than 2 weeks you should really see a doctor. Lots of fun fishing in Florida! Interesting cemetery..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have liked this cemetery. Although you would have had the urge to pick up branches and right headstones. It needed a lot of love.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you have had a great time inspite of coughing. I got sick Dec 9 and my cough just left the past couple of days other than first thing in the morning. Hopefully yours goes away much sooner. Good luck as I'm sure Barb is very tired of hearing you. Ray certainly was with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy, two and a half months?!?!? This week marks 1 month for me, although not 100%, I am slowly getting better, I think I am maybe 80-85%.

      Delete
  5. As your cough goes away...and Barb's starts hitting her, THAT is when you want to be sure you know just where the guns and the knives are at all times, and sleep with one eye open. Have a safe trip back to S.D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been dreading the same thing. Each time she coughs we wonder if it is the beginning of something, but so far nothing. From what I read, the strain is most contagious the first 3-5 prior to the first symptoms occurring and that was long ago. Maybe, just maybe, she dodged the bullet?

      Delete
  6. Your fishing pics reminded me of several photo vlogs that I have recently see from a Texas bayou from last autumn. The photos were astounding. Let's see if this link to an Insta pic works. https://www.instagram.com/p/C3VaegeryaQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

    I think it works, and you can get to his video from there if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link did work. Man, do does he capture some incredible images!

      Delete
  7. Grilled oysters are awesome! We grill them in the shell, which will crack open a bit like a clam when they're ready. You're all set to host a major fish fry!
    Continued Safe Travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought about grilling them that way but wanted to get the flavoring on them. We have scratched our oyster itch for a while, but it was fun to do!

      Delete
  8. "Soft Kitty".....I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a classic scene from BBT. I guess it was on Young Sheldon too, but I never watched that show.

      Delete
  9. Great pictures!! Love Big Bang and soft kitty. It was good to see you two at Florabama bar..wish the weather would've been warmer. Safe travels! See you back in SD! Hope your cough gets better..Barb needs to keep singing.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great seeing you guys too! I had visions of sitting outside listening to music, drinking beer and visiting with you guys all afternoon, but the weather had other plans. Oh well, we'll meet up in South Dakota!

      Delete
  10. I chuckled out loud at the pillow being close to your face when opened your eyes. The beach looks so pretty! And all those fish. If you ate them (I assume? that´s what one does with the fish one catches), I hope they were good. The pamphlet for a cemetery is super interesting. Those poor families of the accident victims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan kept most of the fish, we only took enough for one meal. I love the fact that the cemetery did that. I wish more would but understand the expense as well.

      Delete
  11. So sorry about that cough! You really need to get to the doc. The fishing looks scary, no way I would want to do that. Nice haul though.
    I love old cemeteries. Pretty cool to have the history so available. Safe travels on the next leg of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are always curious about some of the headstones while walking cemeteries. This is the first one we've been to that provided some history. We've tried looking up some names in other cemeteries but have had limited success.

      Delete
  12. Having a persistent cough is horrible, been there, done that, don't want to do it again.
    I can't stand seafood of any sort
    I like wandering around old cemeteries, I find it relaxing but not something I get to do now days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you should not have to suffer through any fishing or seafood posts for a while now. Although, our summer adventure will be in Alaska, so you will have to endure them then!

      Delete
  13. No matter how they start, coughs always seem to linger. But I agree with others. Maybe it's time to find a doctor. If not for yourself, but for Barb. I know the Soft Kitty scene all too well. There's another similar scene with Shelden's mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to go to a doctor while on the road with our insurance plan. We will be home in a couple weeks, if it continues, I will get in there.

      Delete
  14. How many more weeks are you on the road? It's great to see all those pups. And you sure caught a lot of fish. You made me laugh when you said the girls doing whatever girls when their husbands are out fishing. Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of today, we are 7-10 days away from waking up in our own bed! I am glad you laughed, this blog is intended for those with a good sense of humor.

      Delete
  15. Great adventures in Florida. Fishing…yes! Snakes…no! I always enjoyed old cemeteries as a kid. Now, not so much. Too close to being home now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you have some very old cemeteries up there. I just wished some of the headstones lasted longer. I bet there are cemeteries up there that are 500 years old but with your wind and weather the headstones are not legible.

      Delete
  16. Oh, you are so funny! Sorry about the cough though. Grave sites can be interesting places to wander around (Tombstone's boothill is one of them) That's a lot of Crappies, you are going to eat them all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Tombstone would have an interesting cemetery. We took enough crappie for one meal. Dan kept the rest, he is going to have a fish fry for some of his neighborhood friends.

      Delete
  17. I’m with Sue…”Soft Kitty”…I love it! And also love grilled oysters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scene is so wrong on so many levels. Which is exactly why it is so funny!

      Delete
  18. Oh my gosh! My family and I used to vacation on St. George Island when I was growing up! My dad’s whole side of the family would rent three of those big beach houses and we’d spend the week having a blast! It’s where I would live if I had endless money and no worries about hurricanes! Haha! That is so cool! Looks like y’all have really had a blast down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would need endless amounts of money to live on that island! We looked at some of the weekly VBRO prices, they averaged around $4,000-$5,000.

      Delete
  19. First - leave that cough at the state line. Hope you feel better.

    We're continuing to vicariously enjoy your trip. You've been in our neighborhood and hope you'll have good memories.

    That mess of fish looks like what we had last week for an extended family fish fry. Gini's specialty is grits or rice with her tomato gravy. My specialty is eating as many crappie filets as I can get away with.

    My brother lived in Apalachicola for 30 years before moving to St. Augustine last year. It's a great old Florida fishing town.

    Be safe on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had grits for the second time in my life a couple days ago. The first time was years ago, and they were kinda blah. These that I had the other day were delicious! Barb got the recipe and will be making them in the future.
      Apalachicola and St. Augustine, although in the same state, could not be any more different. Both awesome in their own way.

      Delete
  20. Watched the video, made me laugh-but sorry about your cough, not good for either of you, you coughing and Barb listening to you, hope it's better real soon.
    Good catch of fish, but seeing a snake, oh my, I'm not a lover of the latter.
    The dogs are woderful to see.
    Happy and safe travels. We used to travel for 3 months to 4 months always good to get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cool, so I am guessing the majority of the snakes were tucked away somewhere. I can only imagine how many snakes and spiders are hanging around those trees in the heat of the summer. But then again, the fish would be out deeper then, so there would be no reason to fish the trees.

      Delete
  21. That looks like a place I might want to visit. LOVE the cemetery stories. We must have caught the same thing. I'm on coughing day 25 and still going strong. Luckily I don't have anyone who wants to smother me with a pillow, although Cooper has kicked me out of bed a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, it is not just an east coast thing. It sucks being sick on the road, there is no place to escape and give Barb a break. At least at home I could sleep upstairs. Hope you get well soon!

      Delete
  22. Oh dear, Jim, the coughing!!! My TG gets this almost every winter and I do end up wanting to kill him before it's over. He coughs with every WORD SPOKEN!!!! This past late fall he did get start that up, but a quick trip to the doctor saw him taking some allergy med that nipped it in the bud more or less. I never once rubbed Vicks Vapo Rub on him but I've tucked that lullaby away in my prodigious memory bank should that ever become necessary. WOW that cemetery! TG always goes to the offices first to get a guide because he wants to explore famous or remarkable graves while I just like to wander. The Messinas ... I hope they learned to stay off of docks. So sad. We are always struck dumb by the tiny graves in those old cemeteries. And some not so old -- about ten years ago we went to Marietta, Georgia, and stood at the little grave of JonBenét Ramsey. It's a beautiful place but the sadness is palpable. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you immediately when we went to this cemetery. We have never thought of going inside and seeing if the cemetery offices have information on notable or famous graves. I can only imagine how sobering it was to visit JonBenét's gravesite.

      Delete
  23. Maybe you should find an Urgent Care place and stop in?? I sure enjoyed reading about your Florida adventures. I'm thinking it would be really hard to cut your own throat!!--ugh!! Safe travels and keep all the pillows away from Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing when I read she cut her own throat. How is that possible?

      Delete
  24. Wonderful trip. Excellent snake and spider surveilliance.
    Prayers your cough goes away
    Oh dear, that pillow horror made me laugh.
    Those two black labs look thrilled to have the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will take whatever help I can get to get rid of this dang cough!

      Delete
  25. Not traveling much right now, I love my virtual journeys with you and Barb. I am so sorry you have a hacking cough but Barb and the soft kitty episode had me laughing. Seriously though I hope you feel better real soon. On our trips to Florida, I used to love walking under the trees with low hanging Spanish Moss. Never even thought of snakes and spiders but I will now. Those gravesites hold a rich history and the Messina story was so sad and very touching. I thoroughly enjoyed another great post. Along with your photos and dialogue, it’s almost like being there. Thank you so much and feel better soon. p.s. go see a doctor? I am on antibiotics myself as I have a touch of the wheezies! Looking forward to some warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I am not better in the next week or so, I will go to the doctor when I get home. I am glad you enjoyed this post. I have an aversion to all things creepy crawly so I always thing about things like that when I am out and about. Attics and crawlspaces are the worst for me!

      Delete
  26. It sounds like you are having a wonderful trip. There's no place like home though, is there? Look at all those fish! The seashells look so pretty on the beach. I hope you brought one or two home with you. The water is so greenish blue in Rainbow River. I smiled when I saw the precious horses, and visiting the farm would be right up my alley. ; ) You had a memorable journey you can always look back on. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seashells at St. George State Park were like none we have ever seen before. So many shells! I did not get the opportunity to swim in the Rainbow River this trip but have in the past. I don't think I have even been in such clear and colorful water.

      Delete
  27. Good morning, I enjoy reading about your adventures! Love the photos too.
    So sorry you are still struggling with a cough. My allergies have been horrible for several weeks now-and I just can't take anything for it anymore-have been on the medidine over 50 years- had to get off it.
    Nice catch of fish!. Once Larry can get around-I don't want him working on our house projects any more-time is too precious, I will insist that he enjoys his boat and fishing this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, get him out fishing, I have a feeling there are a few waiting for him right outside your door! A few people mentioned that this might be allergies of some sort, but I have never had them before. But, who knows?

      Delete
  28. What fun getting such a bounty of fish among the trees!! Try rubbing that Vicks on the bottom of your feet and putting on heavy socks when you go to bed. I've never known anyone that it didn't work on to cease or at least significantly reduce the night coughs! I have no idea why it works, it just does :-) Making a delivery to a friend's bar - score!! We so seldom see shells on the beaches anymore, lucky you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of the Vicks on your feet thing. I things don't change in the next day or two I will try it. I am hesitant to try it as I don't think I can relax with socks on my feet at all. They are one of the first things to come off when I am in the house.

      Delete
  29. This cold/cough thing really lingers on and on. Three out of four of McFamily members ended up with sinus infections. I've heard of people getting pneumonia. So watch if you get worse in any way--please!
    I chuckled out loud at the Soft Kitty reference!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly see how someone could get pneumonia from this. I am starting to feel a little better, hopefully another week and I will be done with this mess. Hope your family gets well soon!

      Delete
  30. Hello Jim and Barb :=)
    There are some very funny moments in your post that really made me LOL, The pillow incident was a hoot, but like the other bloggers your cough is concerning and not fun at all.Great fish haul and a lovely sighting of a snake, "he he!"! Only teasing!Those centipedes are my main fear, especially when I see one on the ceiling over my bed.I don't eat oysters now since having a bad one and getting food poisoning, such a shame, because before this happened my late husband and I used to drive all the way to Spain, to Vigo port just to eat them.Lovely photo of the four dogs, I'm glad they got on well together. The beach looks sublime, and the cemetery is quite sobering., so many young deaths and the stories from the pamphlet reveal so much history of pain and suffering in the days before antibiotics and vaccines, and also perhaps swimming lessons. I enjoyed being with you on the road and sharing your adventures.
    All the best
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, once you receive food poisoning from something, it really ruins it for the future. I don't mind snakes as much as spiders. Whenever I see one like you had on your post I swear it is going to jump off the wall onto my face!

      Delete
  31. Not a huge oyster fan but it is nice to scratch an itch. I hate a cough - so debilitating, hope it leaves you soon. Getting a little homesick makes the getting home so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We weren't either until we discovered grilled oysters. That is the only way we will eat them.

      Delete
  32. You had both of us laughing while reading! Neighbor John has had the same thing going on for weeks and his cough is still terrible, feel for you! Glad you're still able to enjoy your vacation though. Looks and sounds like you're having a wonderful time, but nice to know you have a wonderful place to go home to also! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope I don't have it for weeks longer, but I I do, I can at least sleep upstairs and give Barb some peace and quiet.

      Delete
  33. Entertaining post! I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. And you didn’t even tell us the origin of the name Tate's Hell State Forest Cash Creek.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love reading your travel reports...what experiences traveling around the country for nine weeks.
    I would have been very interested in fishing.
    And swimming in the sea... it's just wonderful to glide through the water with a mask and fins...
    It's great that it's still going on with you and that we'll get to see a lot more. Thank you. Bon Voyage. And get well soon for that horrible cough.
    Hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That water was some of the clearest we've ever swam in, seeing the fish and turtles like that is incredible!

      Delete
  35. What an interesting post. I'm so sorry you still have the bad cough (I hope it's been tended to medically and just taking a bit to ease.) Florida looks wonderful. I had to laugh at the pillow. That's a long time to be away from home -- I have trouble being out of my zone for more than a couple of weeks. But it is also nice to "take your home with you -- at least one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camper is our home away from home and we are quite comfortable in it. That said, we are looking forward to getting home.

      Delete
  36. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Love those old cemeteries.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sorry to hear about your cough. Been a long time since I've been fishing. You've reminded me how much fun it can be. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks like you had a brilliant time. Enjoy your next destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be home for a few months before we head off again. By then, you will have probably been to 3-4 other destinations!

      Delete
  39. There's no place like home! And you worked so hard on your home...

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm catching up on your posts and realize you were right here where I live. I'm going to the Rainbow River tomorrow to hopefully see some birds and wildlife. I'm glad you had a good trip but I'm sorry about your bad cold! Take care and enjoy the week!

    ReplyDelete