Friday, October 7, 2022

Tales of Ducks and Dogs

Dawn broke Saturday morning gray, cloudy and cold. There was a light rain and a 20mph wind out of the northeast. It could not have been a more perfect morning. The first weekend in October is one of my favorite weekends of the year as, you guessed it, today is the opening of waterfowl in North Dakota!

Opening morning 2022!

Our group for the morning included my friend Bob, Dylan, Chris and two of his sons Gavin and Chase. It was a great morning. The only thing that would have made it better was if Dakota was there with me. But it would not have been fair to Dakota to bring her on this trip. She would have been in the camper 23 out of 24 hours a day as I worked all day for the past two weeks. As much as I wanted to bring her and as much as she would have loved getting out hunting, I just could not do that to her. So, she stayed home with Barb and Zoey.

In my mind, two things make duck hunting special and memorable. One is hunting with good friends, just spending the morning watching the sunrise, the ducks fly, laughing at the easy misses and if you are lucky making a good shot on a duck or two. The other is doing the same thing with your 4-legged companions and seeing the excitement in their eyes as they wait for their next retrieve.

We did have three dogs with us on this morning, so it was not like we were lacking dogs. Chris brought Remy, a 10-year veteran of the field. He is the boss dog and does not take any sass from anyone. That dog is relentless when hunting ducks or pheasants.

Dylan brought Nova. Probably the most energetic dog I have ever seen. That dog is all go and never slows down often getting to the birds before the other dogs are even ½ way there.

 

Bob’s dog Ember is the youngest of the group at 2 ½ years old. Her desire to please is second to none. The excitement in her eyes as she looks at Bob will just melt your heart.

Grandpa Bob and Chase
The addition of Gavin and Chase this year made it special for Chris and Bob. Chris, because it is the first year he has brought his kids into the field with him. And Bob, well, because he is the grandpa and was hunting with his grandchildren for the first time. Hunting with two small kids adds a different dynamic to the hunt. Not quite as quiet and a lot more movement for the birds to pick up on. They were good though, no whining, just excited chatter as the ducks flew overhead.

I went and walked short way off and hunted the pothole above by myself and let the father/son combinations enjoy their first hunt together. While I sat there, I thought about the hunting dogs I have had over the years. Dakota, Bailey, Packer and Jake. A Labrador Retriever, a Golden Retriever, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and a Springer Spaniel. All good dogs in their own right but all vastly different. Jake, my first hunting dog was more of a family dog. We were young when we got him. I did not have the knowledge or patience to properly train him. Although I hunted with him, he was not very good and was mostly just a family dog.

Jake, my dad and sister Becky probably early 90's
Packer, the Chessy, was probably the best hunting dog we have owned. Also, the cheapest at a mere $30 from a roadside stand. He was stubborn and bullheaded but man, could that dog retrieve. He was a one-man dog, did not listen to other people and was not kind to any other dogs in the group. I think all my friends sighed a sigh of relief when he finally passed in 2007.

Packer
Bailey was a sweetheart who loved to retrieve and used to look at me the way Ember looks at Bob. She passed away in ’14 shortly after we hit the road fulltime.
Bailey
Then there is Dakota. A special soul who loves hunting but would rather be doing it with Barb or just being anywhere Barb is, only tolerating hunting with me. I mean, who could blame her!
Dakota, wet, bloody and all smiles!
Last but not least we cannot forget Daisy who never actually got out hunting but for a Puggle she was quite the water retriever! As most of you know, we lost Daisy in January of '21 and still miss her every day. 
Ms. Daisy Mae
But back to this year.....I got skunked my first hour despite having the new hunting jacket Barb bought me and my new shotgun. That’s right, I bought myself a new Beretta A400 just before coming on this trip!

We grouped up an hour or so later and all hunted together. The ducks started cooperating and I went 4 birds for my first 5 shots with my new gun. I think I am going to like this gun! We ended the morning 2 short of 24 bird limit with 18 gadwall, one pintail, one widgeon, and a teal. A great start to the 2022 hunting season!  

Gavin
The next 5 mornings resulted in 5 different views of the sunrise. Some beautiful, some drab but all very special. Well, except for the morning that was 21°. It was beautiful but man, I am not ready for this! 

The lights of Douglas in the background



As I was walking in, I saw this frosty spider web that was just begging to have its picture taken.

It was just Bob, Ember and I most days. Each season we get together is special, having been friends over 40 years I cannot think of one hunting season we did not hunt together. Overall, it was a great first week filled with reminiscing of past hunts with friends and family, some of which are no longer with us.  God willing, we will continue to hunt together for many more.

But it was not all fun and games this week. After the morning hunts it was back to the grind getting things done around the farm. With all the crops in we focused on other chores. Like cleaning out a couple of grain bins. Don’t tell Barb, but I learned how to operate a vacuum cleaner this week. A really large vacuum cleaner.

This grain vac hooks up to the PTO on the tractor which creates a suction and transfers the grain into a truck or cart. You do not want to get anything in front of this thing, it will suck up hats, gloves, anything you put in front of it!

I spent another afternoon moving bales scattered throughout the field and stacking them in one location so they are ready for the semi-trucks to pick them up. So next time you see a field with hundreds of bales scattered throughout it, remember someone has to pick them up one by one and get them ready for transport.

It was little disconcerting moving bales right across from a missile where they are doing maintenance with heavy security. 

I also spent two afternoons digging stumps with the Bobcat and a stump bucket. This is back breaking work as the Bobcat bucks and jumps while trying to uproot these stumps.


I did have some time to fill two 5-gallon buckets of apples in the hopes of apple pies and crisps when I get home. 

Barb told me to bring her something, I cannot wait to see the look of surprise on her face when I present her with 10 gallons of apples!

Speaking of Barb, I only received a couple of pictures from her this week. The first was of the new stools that arrived, and she put together.

I think they look great and will open up that side of the counter compared to the old ones!

Then there were these two pictures of Zoey. Well, there is ½ of Dakota in that one picture. Zoey is always the picture hog, but Dakota does not mind as she really doesn’t like to get her picture taken.

 Barb did get this picture of Dakota when she went out after the squirrel or as we call it in our house “The S.Q.” Because if you say the whole word all hell breaks loose, and the dogs run for the door knowing they need to protect all mankind from the bushy-tailed little rodent. We also have to spell out W.A.L.K. If you say the word the dogs excitedly run for the door, and you are then committed to take them for a walk.


Tomorrow is the start of a new season. We will still continue to duck hunt but then after breakfast we hit the fields in search of the elusive ring-neck pheasant! So many memories to make, so little time! 

38 comments:

  1. We have to spell out words too or Indy will go crazy just knowing a 'dog park' visit is at hand...or a 'treat'...or another 'dog' or 'cat' commercial...the list is getting longer and longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Treat' is one I forgot about! That one always gets them running! It is amazing the words that they can put together in their heads.

      Delete
  2. In spite of working so hard you definitely are in your element. Definitely stocking the freezers for winter. Hopefully the weather holds and you have a bunch more days of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already looking forward to roast duck this winter! Only 4 days left up here and I go home to my Barbie!

      Delete
  3. I didn’t realize we both lost our Goldens about the same time, both shortly after we started fulltiming. We lost Jenny in mid-November of 2014. We sure miss her, Katie and Dakota.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lost Bailey in March of '14 in Coos Bay. We had been on the road for less than a month. Posts like this one are filled with emotions as they bring back the memories and loss of those dogs.

      Delete
  4. I got to work with many bird dogs while at the Hunting Ranch. They all have such different personalities. The chocolate labs were the worst to deal with .... don't know why. The other dogs ... the look on their faces, so intent on getting that bird. They live for that. I'm sure it was the new jacket that brought those birds down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the birds saw that I had a new gun and jacket they basically gave up and landed at our feet!

      Nothing worse than a stubborn dog. I wonder if they had some Chessy in them, they tend to be very stubborn.

      Delete
  5. Sure enjoyed your blog Jim, I've never hunted but it sure looks fun, enjoying time outside, testing your skills and taking home food for the table. I miss dogs sometimes, our Dobie "Porche", (what a sweet girl ♥), passed in the early '00's and with fulltiming it on a 33' sailboat in the immediate future, we decided to give it a skip. Some day.. The farm work also looks interesting and backbreaking at the same time. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have talked about living on a boat for a summer or two. I think it would be doable with a small dog but a larger breed would be challenging.

      Delete
  6. Our neighbour had Brittany Spaniels which he trained for hunting. He kept them in kennels in his back yard. I always felt sorry for those dogs which spent all their time in the kennels except for training and hunting season. They were never in the house since they were working dogs. They were well trained however.

    I enjoyed reading about your pups over the years. Best of luck with the pheasants! You guys did well with the ducks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some friends who have dogs that are strictly for hunting. We will give up some of that hunting ability for the sake of having a family pet as well.

      Delete
  7. Making memories is a good thing. Glad it was fun. The memory I made this week was building a shed for my tractor all by myself. Years from now I will think of the many times I was screwing on sheet metal, only to have the screw fall out and the screw gun coming down on my finger and the blood spurting out. I will close my eyes and chuckle quietly to myself as there was no one else around to enjoy such memories. Yep, good times. Do you have a punt gun in your arsenal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a punt gun just to hang on the wall.

      Great memories from building your shed. At least you didn't put a screw through your finger. Or did you?!?

      Delete
  8. It’s Gay…another wonderful post Jim! LOVE the doggie photos and all the stories and memories that go along with them. Sunrise is just about my favorite time of day especially when there is an early morning glow! What a great way to start the day in a wide open field with friends and pups…loved all those photos too! Thanks again to you and Bob and all who help “feed the world”. Barb’s new stools are perfect! We spelled the word B-A-L-L that now Jack knows exactly what that is so now it’s referred to as the round thing. Fingers crossed you bring home the elusive ring-neck pheasant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went out this morning, I had a chance at one pheasant but he proved elusive. Perhaps this afternoon will be better!

      Delete
  9. My dad used to duck hunt when we lived in Saskatchewan but I never got to go. It sure looks like a lot of fun! When you get home it will be time to hunt the elusive big buck I bet. Stay safe!
    Colibaba’s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb checked my trail cameras yesterday and it looks like we have at least one shooter on our property!

      Delete
  10. Nice times! I never went hunting with my Dad and brother but I made many boxes of reloads as a kid! Picture an 8 year old going that now. What horrors! My sister and I couldn’t wait for them to come home and spread out the ducks so we could pluck out the curly tail feathers from the mallards and the wing feathers from the teal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have memories of making reloads before I could go out and play as a child!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful area where you went duck hunting. I have to ask, as a city girl, what do you do with the ducks that you hunt? Eat them? Seems like you have had a nice collection of dogs over the years who have enjoyed retrieving :) Now that you learned to operate a big vacuum cleaner, using one at home on a smaller scale should be easier :) I do like the stools that Barb put together! Not sure I would enjoy that 21 degree temperature either!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I both roast them and grill them. I love them, Barb, not so much.

      Those smaller household vacuums look a lot more complicated, I try to stay away from them!

      Delete
  12. Boy, dog photos plus! Great dog photos. Love Zoey's sleeping face. It's too bad Dakota had to miss the hunt. Your opening three lines are something only a true hunter would believe. Great new stools! Tell Barb thanks for sending you a few photos of the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like that post! Well, except for the dead animals. I really missed Dakota this week, just spending time with her out in the field.

      Delete
  13. Dad was an avid Dove hunter and I still remember his excitement for September 1. As a young adult I remember September 1 as the day the dove would all start hanging out on my no-hunting property :-)))) Love the foggy pic and the dewy spider web. The hunter and dog overlooking the water and gold grass is glorious! Play and work hard, life is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture of Bob and Ember was totally random but was too hard to pass up. Sometimes those end up being the best ones.

      Delete
  14. Haha I love that you have to spell out words so your dogs don't understand.
    I have a friend who goes deer hunting. Haven't heard much about duck hunting in our parts. Looks like you had a great time. Good friends make everything better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will start deer hunting next week, we have a couple of good prospects on our property!

      Delete
  15. Enjoyed reading about your hunting exploits. My father used to do this, and I have a brother and nephews who still do, but my husband was brought up differently and he never went hunting/shooting - ever!
    I saw a cock pheasant out my bedroom window over the weekend. Beautiful birds - my mother used to save all the feathers and do craft work with them.
    Happy hunting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb does some craft work with some of the feathers. The last thing she did with them was make some Christmas ornaments.

      Delete
  16. Loved your blog and all the dog photos and stories. Our Dachshunds would love to go after some Fowls I'm sure. Getting those many birds ready for the freezer must be some job! Barb has good taste in the house decorating and it looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those dachshunds we're bred to hunt and are a lot more vicious than one would think!

      Delete
  17. ok...going to be honest here, hunting is not my thing. seeing those beautiful ducks lifeless, not my thing. but it's your thing and i totally respect that...and i enjoyed your enthusiasm. when you said you got skunked, does that mean you got sprayed by a skunk? i loved all 5 sunrise pictures...but i would have enjoyed being home with barb more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is exactly what I am talking about in the blog I just posted. You're not into hunting and I am totally cool with that, it is not for everybody, but you do respect others desire to do so. Thanks for being so open.

      As for getting skunked. Thankfully, I did not get sprayed! Getting skunked just means I did not get anything. Your question got me wondering where the phrase came from, so I looked it up and this is what I found:

      Getting skunked means being shut out or to be overwhelmingly defeated, as in, “They got skunked 19-1 in yesterday’s game.”

      Skunked also means to run out on a bill, as in “He left town and skunked the landlord.”

      It is a New England phrase that came into use around 1831.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I forgot to add, that I hope your ribs and wrist is feeling better!

      Delete
    3. the wrist is good in the cast. hurts a little when i move it one way, but i have learned NOT to move it that way, i am a smart girl!!!!! but the ribs, i don't really want to talk about the ribs, the pain brings me to my knees and that is hard for me to admit. our SUV rolled over several times, we "had" a brand new Lexus SUV, it's totaled. her car was old, very low to the ground. she t-boned us, got under us and caused us to roll over several times. you may not see it in my blog, but i am a tuffy!!! glad you did not get sprayed by a skunk...but sorry that you got "skunked". i am learning so much and maybe we are an odd match but i really do enjoy your blog!!!

      Delete
  18. Contessa here, getting all caught up. This is a test to see if I can comment.

    ReplyDelete